• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Castellon

★Paradox Forum Manager★
Administrator
Paradox Staff
110 Badges
Mar 12, 2002
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • 200k Club
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron II: Beta
  • Victoria 2 Beta
  • Humble Paradox Bundle
  • Paradox Order
Roughly based on one, originally posted by Uglyduck, in the EU2 FAQ forum

This info applies to Windows 9x , ME, or XP. It hasn't been verified with Windows 2000 but it should be the same. Just be careful and remember to do a backup before editing the registry (Registry menu, Export registry file, name it backup_ddmmyy.reg, check the box "ALL" in Export range. If you delete something by accident, all you have to do is to double-click on the file to restore you registry to its previous state.

There appears to be a lot of Brothers, Sisters, Friends etc going around uninstalling HOI incorrectly! Or people that have mods installed that mess up or interfere with a regular uninstall.
If this is done then it is difficult to reinstall the game as "bits" are left everywhere and the Game Installation is fooled into thinking that the game is still installed.
If this has happened to you then try this:-

You have to manually delete a key in your registry. You do that by starting regedit (Start => Run => regedit => Enter) and navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Paradox Interactive" and delete the Hearts of Iron key. It looks like a folder in regedit.(If you have applied more than one Patch then there might be more than one key).
If you are nervous about editing the Registry then get someone to do it for you. However if you only delete the above key(s) no harm will be done.

EDIT: Note: If you have a localized publisher version, you may have to substitute "Publishers Name" for "Paradox Interactive" both in the above registry path and below in the path to the files.

Also delete the directory C:\Program Files\Paradox Interactive\Hearts of Iron 2.
EDIT: or if you did not use the default directory, then what ever directory you installed the game to.

Note: This part has proven to be unnecessary with the latest patches, but I left it there, just in case.
You also have to delete some installation files.

InstallShield creates a directory where it keeps all the information on installed software. On my machine it is 'C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information'

'InstallShield Installation Information' is marked as hidden so to be able to find it you have to change folder options on you PC to show hidden files (For instructions on this see the next post). Search for files containing 'Hearts' in this directory and you will find a file called 'Setup' with the following content:

[Startup]
AppName=HOI2
Engine=0
Copy=1
Source=0
[Languages]
Default=0x0009
count=1
key0=0x0009

* For Doomsday search for 'Doomsday'

On my PC this resides in: 'C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{A6F1BDF7-53A7-4AF6-84B9-0C51C722BC91}'. I'm not sure if the last directory name will be the same on all machines but I think so. Delete that directory and you will be able to make a clean install.

Last edited:
Q: How do I set the computer to show Hidden files ?

A:
Click "My Computer"
Click on the "Tools" pulldown menu
Select "Folder options"
Select the "View" tab
Look under Advanced settings
Look for the section on "Hidden Files and Folders"
Notice that this section is comprised of two radio buttons. Make sure the "Show hidden Files and Folders" is selected.

Status
Not open for further replies.