• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Annik0r

Lithoid World Eater
72 Badges
Jul 24, 2014
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Knights of Honor
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Season pass
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Premium edition
  • PDXCon 2019 "Baron"
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Prison Architect
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • War of the Roses
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Magicka 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
Hi, i got a few questiions about how to handle the annoying desyncs.

* When we get the desync message, how long is stuff then running async in the worst case?
* is it enough when we rejoin or do we need to rehost / load the savegame?
* does it help to reduce game speed to avoid the problem?

any other tipps to reduce the chance of that happening?

why are they unable to just resync the stuff that was async?
just pause the game a moment, check some checksums and update the wrong stuff to the clients?
dont sounds like rocket sience to me, please fix this before making another (great) addon.

From past experiences it doesn't matter settings/speed wise. You just get to a point where the other people connecting to the host get behind by days game time and the game can't handle that big a difference. Nor can it catch itself up. If you swap hosts, they will be fine and you will be the one causing the desync.
If anything, it reminds me of playing a game with terrible memory leaks, where if you played continuously the game would crash due too filling your RAM up and needing more. With those games at least a restart wiped the RAM and let you start building it up again. With Stellaris the problem isn't the RAM, it is the game trying to crunch all the little numbers it needs to, so no amount of RAM refreshes will matter, just too much data to crunch, or some bug causing too much data to crunch.
This is all just speculation on my part, just seems like it to me.

Our team of players 5 or so cannot play MP because of desyncs.

This is still happening to myself and my friends, I can't understand why this hasn't been resolved. If we don't save the game regularly and reload from the prior save the game becomes unplayable. We cannot control ships, pops and economy goes haywire, sometimes we can't even upgrade ships or building slots. We were hoping this would be fixed with the Federations update but it looks to possibly be worse now.

I can say since we use the No Xenocomp mod, we had no desyncs which were not fixable the old way.

So basicly:
- desyncs which are unfixable (start of the month, often pop related or random_count (which is general)) -> try xenocomp mod
- desyncs that just happen -> try staying normal speed in mid- to lategame. always rejoin by rehosting and not unpausing untill all parties are there.
- desyncs that happen 10-15 mins after a hotjoin -> do not use hotjoin in a running game. always reload from scratch.

I can say since we use the No Xenocomp mod, we had no desyncs which were not fixable the old way.

So basicly:
- desyncs which are unfixable (start of the month, often pop related or random_count (which is general)) -> try xenocomp mod
- desyncs that just happen -> try staying normal speed in mid- to lategame. always rejoin by rehosting and not unpausing untill all parties are there.
- desyncs that happen 10-15 mins after a hotjoin -> do not use hotjoin in a running game. always reload from scratch.
Have tried all of this and no matter what: Good pings, bad pings, mods, no mods, I host, other hosts (rotated), 2 players, 6 players, no AI, max AI, huge map, tiny map, no DLCs, all DLCs, Betas, no betas, it's all the same. The only difference is at what point in the game you start getting the desyncs. Heck, we even tried rolling back to various different versions. STILL DOES NOT WORK

Have tried all of this and no matter what: Good pings, bad pings, mods, no mods, I host, other hosts (rotated), 2 players, 6 players, no AI, max AI, huge map, tiny map, no DLCs, all DLCs, Betas, no betas, it's all the same. The only difference is at what point in the game you start getting the desyncs. Heck, we even tried rolling back to various different versions. STILL DOES NOT WORK
what does not work? what does "not work" mean to you?

not getting desyncs at all? because that is not the point. you will desync.

the main reason to prevent xenocomp perk is to prevent one type of desync, which is unrepairable even with cold-join (so all people enter the game before unpaused, after rehost), as it will desync a month later immediately. sometimes even at the time when you press play.

since we use it we played up 5 games now until lategame. unfortunately at that point usually one of the weaker pcs slows down so much, we usually restart (around endgame crisis)

could be sheer luck as well of course. of course the underlying bug, that some values do not get synced correctly (obviously) is something pdx has to fix in their code, and i fully agree, that would be just awesome, if they finally find someone who can actually do that. hell, i would debug it if they send me the code, myself, for free.
so yeah, the only thing you can influence is when and how hard you desync. preventing it completely is not possible. never was actually. there never was a stellaris version i can remember, which did not occasionally desync, and e.g. the hotjoin desyncs which always happen are there for the whole 2.x series. there are however different reasons for desync.
most games like this desync or can desync, even if it's not a bug in the code. civ5 simply reloads the game for everyone. problem is, when a complete reload does not fix it, or it happens like at hotjoin, it means, it is a bug, it is not just an occasional coincidence from a cpu peak or network packet loss.

i understand the frustration. i have it since this game released. it seems everything is important, except proper network experience. there are also just not enough people demanding it.

Last edited: