• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mad King James

Buzzkill Extraordinaire
66 Badges
Jan 18, 2002
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
get the template from http://jgdahl.tripod.com/Flags/flags.html or
http://massf.cdis.org/~jd4031/Flags/flags.html

Step 1: Get a flag from somewhere, MAKE SURE it has 2:3 proportions (100 height, 150 width is good) and MAKE SURE you set it to RGB color by typing alt-i-m-r. MAKE SURE the file displace.psd is on your desktop (this is important).
Now window-show actions and click the actions options button
flags1.jpg

select load actions and load the flags.atn that came with the zip.
now open the flag template, THEN open your flag (this is important) then click run action!
flags2.jpg

Save! and save a copy as flag_XXX (XXX being the country for which you made it)

The flag window will be too small to show everything, so before you run the action, set the background colour to the main color of your flag, and go image-canvas size, for 130 percent for height and width. Unless your flag is crosses and stripes (england, scotland etc) in that case you don't want to do this.

With horizontal tricolours (France, Italy, etc), you want to make the middle stripe a lot thinner, so on the flag graphic go image-convas size 130 percent, and fill in the sides the right colours, and then go image-image size turn off constrain proportions, and set height to 130 percent, then run the action.

Unfortunately because of the nature of the way I did this, this will only work well with flags that have no HORISONTAL stripes, flags like the Netherlands or Hungary or modern Russia will look... weird. Flags like Italy or France will work fine. With flags that are mostly one colour with detail in the middle though, this will work great!

For vertical tricolours you CAN however use the NEW functionality of the three stripe adjustment layers I added in for making flags like modern Russia, the Netherlands, Germany etc. click the eyeball next to it to activate the layer, and click the divided black/white circle to edit it. Change the hue to change the color, and saturation to lower/raise the intensity, and brightness to make it lighter or darker.

Last edited:
Okidoki... I really need to get Photoshop 7.0. Still stuck with 5.5 and the action that should be loaded is not compatible with it :D
I'll just stick to shields then, for now ... :D

hey you can always do it the hard way, the action just makes it MUUUUCH easier ;)

the hard way is resize the flag, copy it, paste it into the template, ctrl-T and ajdust it so it looks about right through the 'flag window', right click while it's still in transform mode and select skew, skew it about 17 degrees down, and readjust so it looks right. Copy it in exactly the same place relative to the first one for all 25 flag positions (using a grid is good for this). THEN select filter-distort-displace, and select 3 percent vertically, 3 percent horisontally, ok, then select displace.psd as the displacement map. ok. NOW you're done the hard way ;)

and yes, spyware is digital evil incarnate ;)
I'm going to take this opportunity to promote Lavasoft's AdAware! Remove spyware from your computer! No longer shall your browser be riddled with redirection code!

Also, turn off active scripting, barely anyone uses it for legitimate reasons anymore ;)

hi, i have photoshop 6.0.........

well i did like u said, but then i het an error saying:
The command "Set" is not currently available.
So i get 2 options: Countinue or Stop.
I take Countinue it works then i get another error massage:
Could not duplicate the selection because the selected area is empty.

Do u know what i did wrong????

Then another Q........how do i open templete or save the templete????????

thanx a lot man....peace Danny

Originally posted by Danila

Photoshop is a very, very complex tool and there are lots of How-to-places for it on the web...I don´t think that this board is such a place...
As to your question, there are lots of add-ons and filters and stuff for the program and if You have another version than MDJ...well, it differs..Must be some reason for the upgrades I guess..;)

Yeah sorry about that, that was an error I made, redownload the template again, it's fixed now.

As to how to open it well... file open template-flag.psd?

to save just save as, select bmp, it'll now save as a copy, put flag_whatever.bmp and you're done. :)

Thanks for your confidence in me Wasa, but no it was my screwup ;)

And actually I've changed the template like 10 times since yesterday, so if you downloaded it earlier, redownload ;)

Originally posted by Wasa

Photoshop is a very, very complex tool and there are lots of How-to-places for it on the web...I don´t think that this board is such a place...
As to your question, there are lots of add-ons and filters and stuff for the program and if You have another version than MDJ...well, it differs..Must be some reason for the upgrades I guess..;)

MKJ,

You note that the flag design must be a 2:3 proportions. Unfortunately the standard in the commonwealth seems to be 1:2 proportions. How would you suggest people use different sizes of flags?

BarristerBoy

If I have understood it correctly there is nothing that stops you from using other proportions than 2:3 (1:1 and 1:2 is quite "commonly" used), but this template can't handle that. Is this correct?

I have some thoughts; the flags made with this [great :D] template seem not to be darkened out when it is in an area you don't see. I doubt you understood my bad explanation, but the fog of war that also affects the visual sightings of flags do notaffect flags made by the template. Example at www10.brinkster.com/styrbiorns/file.gif

I suppose you'll have to do something else, but I have no idea what that can be.

hello. i have a problem with the flag template and the action file flag.atm. When i am on the last 3 actions, i have a problem on the displace action, and it fails to work good. Do you know whats the problem with it?

I have the same problem with Photoshop 6.0 -- downloaded your template just now.