• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(7347)

a.k.a. Sole Defender
Jan 17, 2002
Upon a request I will try to describe how you do a basic scenario. It seems like many good links on how to make a basic EU 1 scenario has dissapeared, witch is to bad, cause EU 1 is still one of the best strategy games ever...

The Bible in terms of making scenarios to EU is, according my own experience, Havards EU Editing Empire . Its for EU 2 but as the EU 1 and EU 2 are so similar many goodies can be found there and used to make scenarios to EU 1 aswell.

Another good site for you who want to make your own scenarios is Moctezumas site Home of the usefull EUUnlimited, withc enables game play both before the year 1492 as well as after 1792.

Another must for you scenariobuilders are the EUleader editor witch enables a easy way to both add as edit leaders and monarch. It can be found at the site EU Province

As for shields and flags, those of you who are not into making your own ones, I can recommend Korath´s site He is one of several good graphic artists out here, but as Korath has one of the largest online collection of shield and flags aswell as links to several other good sites I choised to put his site here. Also note that any shield or flag that are used in EU 2 or maded to be used in EU 2 also can be used in EU 1, they are all the same. Dopnt let the "Shields for EU 2" signs intimidate you... :rolleyes: ;)

The files you need to know about

To make a scenario you need to edit or collect information from certain files. I will here list the most important ones.

text.csv - located in your config folder. This file contains alot of different information and game mechanics about different important issues from what the nations in the game are called to define witch buttons executes witch commands. You need to edit this file is you want to create new nations.

Province.csv - located in your Db folder. This file list what id numbers all the provinces and seazones in the game has. You need to know the provinces id numbers if you want to change controll or ownership of provinces or just want to find a certain province to edit. (Perhaps you want to add a Navalyard in your capital province... ;) )

The ***.inc files - located in your Scenario folder. Every scenario has it owns .inc file. For example the 1492.inc file is for the Grand Campaign. This fail is the one you mainly have to edit if you want to create your own scenario.

The ***.eug file - located in your Scenario folder. Every scenario also has a .eug file. For example The Grand Campaign.eug is for... you guessed right.... the Grand Campaign scenario. The name of this file determines what your scenario will be called when you in game choises witch scenario you want to play.

If you know about how to work these files you can make several interesting scenarios, then, of course, there is also several other interesting files witch you can alter but for a basic scenario these four will due fine. :)

Your first steps

We will simulate you want to create a scenario starting in 1492 and based on the GC.

First of all, copy the 1492.inc file and the Grand Campaign.eug file to your desktop. Then rename the files on your desktop to scenario1.inc and scenario1.eug and copy and paste them back to your Scenario folder.

Now you have two brand new scenario files to work with and without messing with the original scenarios.

Open the scenario1.eug file using wordpad and you will find something like this.

header = {
name = "The Age of Exploration"
desc = "scenarios\data\1520.txt\Renaissance.txt"
picture = "scenarios\data\sce1520.bmp"
startyear = 1492
endyear = 1792
SWE = {
desc = "SWE_GC_HISTDESC"
scenariotactics ="SWE_GC_HISTDESC"
countrytactics = "SWE_GC_VPTACTIC"
picture = "scenarios\data\SWE1520.bmp"
missioncountry = "SWE_GC_MISSDESC"
missiontactics = "SWE_GC_MISSTACT"
countrydifficulty = 4
countryeconomy = 3
countrymilitary = 4
countrydiplomacy = 4
missiontype = 1
numcities = 26
numcolonies = 0
numtradingposts = 0
numgold = 500

}
FRA = {
desc = "FRA_GC_HISTDESC"
scenariotactics ="FRA_GC_HISTDESC"
countrytactics = "FRA_GC_VPTACTIC"
picture = "scenarios\data\FRA1520.bmp"
missioncountry = "FRA_GC_MISSDESC"
missiontactics = "FRA_GC_MISSTACT"
countrydifficulty = 7
countryeconomy = 6
countrymilitary = 7
countrydiplomacy = 6
missiontype = 1
numcities = 26
numcolonies = 0
numtradingposts = 0
numgold = 500

}
SPA = {
desc = "SPA_GC_HISTDESC"
scenariotactics = "SPA_GC_HISTDESC"
countrytactics = "SPA_GC_VPTACTIC"
picture = "scenarios\data\SPA1520.bmp"
missioncountry = "SPA_GC_MISSDESC"
missiontactics = "SPA_GC_MISSTACT"
countrydifficulty = 6
countryeconomy = 7
countrymilitary = 6
countrydiplomacy = 5
missiontype = 3
numcities = 35
numcolonies = 4
numtradingposts = 0
numgold = 400

}

ENG = {
desc = "ENG_GC_HISTDESC"
scenariotactics = "ENG_GC_HISTDESC"
countrytactics = "ENG_GC_VPTACTIC"
picture = "scenarios\data\ENG1520.bmp"
missioncountry = "ENG_GC_MISSDESC"
missiontactics = "ENG_GC_MISSTACT"
countrydifficulty = 5
countryeconomy = 4
countrymilitary = 3
countrydiplomacy = 7
missiontype = 6
numcities = 17
numcolonies = 0
numtradingposts = 0
numgold = 500

}
TUR = {
desc = "TUR_GC_HISTDESC"
scenariotactics = "TUR_GC_HISTDESC"
countrytactics = "TUR_GC_VPTACTIC"
picture = "scenarios\data\TUR1520.bmp"
missioncountry = "TUR_GC_MISSDESC"
missiontactics = "TUR_GC_MISSTACT"
countrydifficulty = 5
countryeconomy = 6
countrymilitary = 7
countrydiplomacy = 3
missiontype = 2
numcities = 35
numcolonies = 0
numtradingposts = 0
numgold = 500

}

RUS = {
desc = "RUS_GC_HISTDESC"
scenariotactics = "RUS_GC_HISTDESC"
countrytactics = "RUS_GC_VPTACTIC"
picture = "scenarios\data\RUS1520.bmp"
missioncountry = "RUS_GC_MISSDESC"
missiontactics = "RUS_GC_MISSTACT"
countrydifficulty = 3
countryeconomy = 3
countrymilitary = 3
countrydiplomacy = 3
missiontype = 4
numcities = 6
numcolonies = 3
numtradingposts = 0
numgold = 200

}

POL = {
desc = "POL_GC_HISTDESC"
scenariotactics = "POL_GC_HISTDESC"
countrytactics = "POL_GC_VPTACTIC"
picture = "scenarios\data\POL1520.bmp"
missioncountry = "POL_GC_MISSDESC"
missiontactics = "POL_GC_MISSTACT"
countrydifficulty = 4
countryeconomy = 5
countrymilitary = 5
countrydiplomacy = 3
missiontype = 4
numcities = 6
numcolonies = 3
numtradingposts = 0
numgold = 200

}

POR = {
desc = "POR_GC_HISTDESC"
scenariotactics = "POR_GC_HISTDESC"
countrytactics = "POR_GC_VPTACTIC"
picture = "scenarios\data\POR1520.bmp"
missioncountry = "POR_GC_MISSDESC"
missiontactics = "POR_GC_MISSTACT"
countrydifficulty = 4
countryeconomy = 5
countrymilitary = 3
countrydiplomacy = 6
missiontype = 4
numcities = 6
numcolonies = 3
numtradingposts = 0
numgold = 200

}

}
include = "scenarios\1492.inc"

The one thing absolutely needed and first thing you should do is to alter the just above part include = "scenarios\1492.inc" to include = "scenarios\scenario1.inc"

It tells the game to, when you choises to play your scenario1 scenario, use the scenario1.inc file and not the original 1492.inc file.

These sections.

SWE = {
desc = "SWE_GC_HISTDESC"
scenariotactics ="SWE_GC_HISTDESC"
countrytactics = "SWE_GC_VPTACTIC"
picture = "scenarios\data\SWE1520.bmp"
missioncountry = "SWE_GC_MISSDESC"
missiontactics = "SWE_GC_MISSTACT"
countrydifficulty = 4
countryeconomy = 3
countrymilitary = 4
countrydiplomacy = 4
missiontype = 1
numcities = 26
numcolonies = 0
numtradingposts = 0
numgold = 500

List what nations are playable and also includes a description of them.

The first three letters SWE = { Is the nation tag. The tag SWE decides that the nation with the tag SWE (Sweden) is selectable. By changing these letter in accordance to another nation tag you can choise witch nations who should be playable and thus impossible to annex. The nation tags can be found in the text.csv file located in the config folder. Look for this a section looking something like this

ENG;England;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
FRA;Frankrike;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
HAB;Österrike;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
HOL;Nederländerna;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
POR;Portugal;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
PRU;Preussen;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
RUS;Ryssland;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X
SPA;Spanien;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X;X

and you have found them.

By erasing SWE and replace it with for example PRU, you delete Sweden as a playable nation and instead let Prussia be playable. Note their can only be 8 playable nations in a scenario and the minimum is, naturally, 1. To get only one playable nation, delete all nation descriptions with exception of one.

Yoghurt, thanx a lot....all this really helped. Now im working on my own scenario, about mayans and azrecs and conquistadors...but im running onto a few problems.

I'm using the ITA tag for one of my nations, but ITA doesnt come woth a flag and shield. I got a set from the net that i want to use, but how do i tell the game to connect the shield to the country?

On the political map, all the countries I added in are Orange, which is just annoying beacase theyre all right next to each other...anything that u know about?

I made some new nations that i want to be natives...like the inca and aztec...but their little soldiers that represent the armies are european...can I change that? and also, can i change it so that its still 1492 but the spanish soldiers are the ones with the guns(1617)?

If yoghurt or anyone can answer any of these, please do....

All your shields and flags are located in your Gfx/Map folder, either in the folder shields or the fodler flags. To add your graphic you ahve to assign it to a certain tage (in other words rename it) The shield for Sweden, for example, are called shield_SWE. If you want a shield to be assign to the ITA tag u ahve to rename it to shield_ITA and then copy paste it into your Gfx/Map/Shields folder. To add even more graphic such as flags and silvershields you have to repeat the process with them to. Note the flags shall be put into the flag folder and the shields into respectively shieldfolders.

As for the colours, the only way I know to avoid this is to list the colurs of each tag and then make sure of that you dont edit nations with similar colour next to eitchother. I do not know a way to change the colours of the nations.

I have also tried to change graphic for soldiers, as you talk about, but havent succed in doing it. It seems easiest to accept that some nations/tags are european looking and some are muslim looking and a few is native looking. Try to use tags who fits your edited nations.

Edit: Im not sure but if i recall correctly I have runned into a few problems using the ITA tags sometimes. I would recommend you to use another one, but maybe Im misstaken and remmeber it wrongly :)