• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
After four installations and the various, aforementioned efforts to make the game work, I unchecked "country-specific graphics" and now the game works perfectly.

Thank you very much for your patience and assistance, Mr Straczynski and Mr Arnold. Much obliged.

After four installations and the various, aforementioned efforts to make the game work, I unchecked "country-specific graphics" and now the game works perfectly.

Thank you very much for your patience and assistance, Mr Straczynski and Mr Arnold. Much obliged.

Glad you got it working. Just FYI, the "country-specific graphics" fix means that you are missing those files or that they are corrupted, but if you could care less about these graphics than have fun (or, use Francesco's Models mod).

Is it possible to follow this tutorial to install on macs if the game was bought on steam? I'm currently trying to but when I got the wineskin app and finding the darkest hour installer, there is none. I'm assuming this is because the game was bought on steam and it would normally install it for you. Any suggestions?

I was able to run the pc version of steam through a Wineskin wrapper and downloaded the DH installer exe. but I've been running into a problem while going through this installation guide. While choosing the executable file this error message came up.
No new executables found!

---------------------------

Maybe the installer failed...?

If you tried to install somewhere other than C: drive (drive_c in the wrapper) then you will get this message too. All software must be installed in C: drive.

-------------------------
Any suggestions?

I'm having the same problem with the game crashing the instant I change any of the scenario settings or hit "Start". Unchecking "Use country-specific graphics" would prevent the game from starting up at all. I must add that every single attempt I made at installing vcr2010.dll was aborted by wineskin at some point.

I've followed these instructions and gotten DH working on my Mountain Lion Mac using my copy purchased from Amazon. I've noticed a couple of odd things.

1 - At no point in the installation process did DH ask me for my key. I have one, but it was never entered or asked for.
2 - I can only run the game when I'm pointing Wineskin at darkest hour.exe, not at darkest hour launcher.exe. So I never get the opening screen that lets me choose mods, shows the version I running, etc
3 - My checksum reads QBGX. DH 1.03 full.
4 - The game runs pretty well. Every now and then I get an error message pop up. Half the time when I click okay on the error is closes DH, the other half it doesn't. I've also had a corrupted save game file, which is the first time that has ever happened to me. I was only 2 years or so into the game, so not a lot was happening, this may not mean anything but it's the first time it's ever happened to me.
5 - Playing as the US seems different. I haven't played much 1.03 but things seem harder (which is nice). For example, not only does Japan conquer China almost without fail (not unusual) but Germany just runs through Russia like the Soviets aren't even there, even when I give them plenty of blueprints & Lend Lease. Bitter peace within 8 months to a year of declaring war.
6 - For some reason after Japan declares war on me, and the UK I cannot join the allies. 0% chance. I've never seen that before. Not sure if that's a new 1.03 thing or if something is up with my checksum.

Is it possible that since I never had to enter my key the game thinks I have a pirated version? To download from Amazon I had to actually download the main .exe file from a work PC since my Mac would download the first .exe file (that then allows you to download the game) and then not be able to do anything with it. Again, I do have a key.

Then I'm beginning to think most of what I'm seeing is just in my head or the changes in 1.03.
The error message popping up is to be expected when you are running a PC program on a Mac.
And the inability to join the Allies may stem from the fact that I was not at war with Germany.

Thanks for the insight.

I can't install dotnet20. It gives me the error report. What should I do?

I tried from Wineskin, didn't work

I tried from the internet another exe, didn't work. Gives setup error.

I have mavericks and macbook pro

Last edited: