• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

oblio-

Wallachian Warlord
16 Badges
Dec 4, 2013
oblio360.com
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • BATTLETECH
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Prison Architect
Hello everybody,

You can go through the long ravings of a mad man, below, or you can just click this nice table of contents:

Table of contents

1. A bit of background on the "Wallachian situation"
2. And now we start rolling
3. Fast forward.
4. World War 0.

So, after my first game as Byzantium, non-Ironman, I decided I should jump straight into the pit. Byzantium was no walk in the park, even without Ironman, but this time I wanted to be really hard core.
What does hard core mean? Wallachia Ironman.

Now, you might think why is Wallachia really hard compared to a lot of the OPMs mentioned. Well... it's because:
  1. you're in stuck in between several regional/world powers (Ottomans, Poland, Hungary)
  2. none of those powers have the same religion as you
  3. you have 2 poor inland provinces
  4. all those neighbors have missions involving vassalizing/annexing you
  5. you're in the Eastern tech group so more expensive tech
  6. all those neighbors of your that could potentially hate each other are buffered by you and other smaller states (so they love each other until they stomp you)
  7. did I mention you're really poor?
So... how did things go so far? Well, the first two games were really quick - 1 ended with bankruptcy, the other one with an instant Ottoman invasion. Note to self: don't piss of Otto!
The third game was going quite well - I reached 1478 when I decided to experiment - I attacked Bosnia under Otto warning. Of course, I got my head chopped off.
The fourth game was going even better - annexed Serbia, vassalized Bosnia, annexed Bosnia. Never had money for investments, was always close to bankruptcy. But the map looked nice and things were promising.
Then the Peasant's War hit my ally - Poland. They were almost stomped by rebels when some of them poured into my capital (that's why it sucks to have your capital near the border :( ). They managed to conquer my capital before I pushed them back.

And that's when things became surreal, because of me and because of Paradox :p
I broke the alliance with Poland - another note to self: always have at least 1 bigger ally around you at all times. Unless you're really big and/or strong.
Otto came barging in. My country became an archipelago. Poland also came barging in and stole my main "island".

Rebels started spawing in my country for all sorts of reasons. And that's when this happened:

This is madness! No, this is Protestant Wallachia!

Why? Because some of the rebels in my all orthodox country decided to become protestant.
And when Poland came knocking and asking for a Catholic country, I had to become catholic. After they left I turned protestant to at least have the same religion as 2 of my 5 remaining provinces.

And then I threw in the towel:

Anyway, notes so far:
1. Money is very important - you're a poor country and advisors are just a waste of gold most of the time. Loans and inflation can kill you.
2. When going to war, never bring a knife to a gun fight. Aka come with at least 3-4 troops more than the enemy. Even then you might lose!
3. Get at LEAST 1 major ally. And never let him go, whatever your plans are.
4. Have a lot - I mean a ton - of patience. Expect anything major to take 50-100 years, on the brink of bankruptcy.
5. You're a border country between several big empires. Even when they seem to fall (10000 rebels versus their 20 troops), expect them to bounce back. I don't know where they get the manpower, but they do. 0 manpower now, 12000 manpower when I checked again in 6 month's time (Poland).
6. Paradox, how can orthodox can become protestants? Do you know we have no Pope? I never heard mass protests against any Orthodox church.

Has anyone managed to survive as Ironman Wallachia until 1821? Without relocating or something?
Secondly, if one of your neighbors blobs hard in the first 100 years and you're behind in tech, can you surivive? Or are they bound to invade you?

Last edited:
Aaaand another attempt. This time I was waiting for my allied Bosnia to get big and maybe be able to crack Hungary together.
Alas, when I did attempt to attack, after dissolving my alliance with Hungary, only the newly reborn Ukraine (born from the ashes of Lithuania) came to my help and their troops couldn't help me.

So this time I failed even faster - I became an OPM after 30 years :p

I'd really, really like to have a Drăculești as my rules cause the name is awesome - it means "Devilsson" basically. But those damned Habsgurgs I'm forced to ally always get one of their heirs on my throne, somehow. Truly: "Venus transfers to you".
My heirs die like flies (even though I never send them to battle) :|

And some reminders of my failures:

I promise to have nicer photos for next time ;)

Wallachia shall prevail! I think I have a better strat for the next attempt:
  • Ally Bosnia
  • Declare war on Serbia
  • Make Serbia my vassal
  • Ally Poland
  • Wait for the Bosnian DOW (which is sure to come)
  • Beat Bosnia and vassalize it
  • Make a lot of light ships to bring the $$$ from trade
  • Keep relations with Otto as high as possible
  • Much later on, when I have good military tech and a big enough pile of troops, attack Hungary with the help of Poland (if they're not allied)
  • Get some Hungarian provinces
For the two last parts swap Hungary with Poland, depending on their alliances and their status (wars, manpower, rebellions).

Iron man is hard! But Vlad the Impaler is stronger :p

And so it begins - finally I'm making some ground!
I'm a bit behind in military technology because of buying Defensive Ideas with it and because of rulers with crappy Military Points.
But I'm mostly on par with my neighbors and I have strong allies around me to help.

How things are looking right now:

I'm not that big, but I have big allies. Austria was also an ally but they got into a big fight over Burgundy and wanted to call me in as ally against a crazy combo of France + Bohemia + several others so I had to break the alliance. Poland on the other hand has Lithuania in a personal union, as per norm, so they're quite scary. Naples is kicking Aragon's butt ouf of Sicily - so more good news.

Hungary is becoming less scary - they're a bit isolated as far as alliances go, but Otto is still really, really scary.

Plan of attack - Hungary to get more of the Transylvanian provinces back, maybe Bosnia as a diversion to get a bigger seashore - I'd want Silistria but Otto too scary. Moldavia is out of reach so far. Until 15-20 provinces + a very high level of tech + strong allies, the Romanians in Moldavia will be left to their own devices. I hope Poland doesn't have time to convert them :(

That's the whole point :)
  • Wallachia - independent in 1444
  • Moldavia - vassal in 1444
  • Transylvania - only available from the 1576 start on (or when released by a player, I think)
    can all form Romania.

It is HARD, by the way, at least as Wallachia. I'm progressing nicely but it's a strategy spanning centuries.
Right now I'm trying to disassemble Hungary without upsetting my neighbors. Hungarian traditions + Catholic = pain in the ass. And I still haven't gotten Maros.
I need Moldavia from Poland, soon to become Commonwealth.
And I also need Silistria from the Ottomans.
None of which is easy.

I'm tip-toeing my way there.

Things are looking up in this world, apparently! Look at the right side of the photo - it's actually starting to look a bit like Romania :D

With the help of Poland/Lithuania + Austria + Bohemia I've forced Hungary to release Croatia and give me some provinces, including Mureș (called Maros in the game, based on its Hungarian name), which is a required core for forming Romania. Yay! Poland/Lithuania especially :)
I'm also coring and changing religions and converting populations everywhere. This will be a nation-state, not an empire. I actually don't even plan to expand more after I have my "Romania-Dacia" powerful enough in the center of Europe - I'll probably switch to trade and colonizing.

I was thinking what to do next, but for now I guess it's no point hitting Hungary again. A relatively strange choice - Ottos. They're at the peak of their power but I just noticed that if I attack them both Austria + Poland (which has just finished annexing PUd Lithuania without forming the Commonwealth) will come and help me. 65k Ottos with not that many reserves left versus my 12k + Poland's and Austria's 40k each should do it.
I need to retake a core from them and also create some buffer states in the south.

Because the next step towards Romanian reunification is big, really big. I've just allied Muscovy after I noticed that Poland has just annexed Lithuania. And I need my Moldavian provinces from Poland to form Romania.

So the plan is: divide et impera.
Use Austria + Poland to beat up the Ottos and waste their manpower reserves in this huge war. Then once I feel a bit more advanced technologically (I'm still not that advanced - or maybe should I westernize?), turn on the Russian war-machine and ironically ally Hungary to fight Poland. That's gonna a be a huge fight in Central and Eastern Europe.
And it will probably be the game-breaker for forming Romania.

Well, sleep for now, see you later ;)

Wallachia sounds like a good way to get in some quick games.

You have what sounds like a good plan - with mortal dangers at every turn, seize the opportunity and boldly throw the dice for hell or glory!

Well, I'm being as cautious as I can - it's still Ironman, after all. But when you're in the water with piranhas, you can't afford to be too relaxed. If you don't attack they will eat you anyway, so the strategy is set up for you. You can't afford questions like "war or trade or colonization?" the only question is "when do I attack next?".

Once I have Romania set up things should calm down, if my tech is decent I might explore. Meanwhile:

Death or glory!

By the way, here's my full plan of action:
  1. Iron man 1444
  2. Wallachia
  3. Form Romania
  4. Only provinces of the same nationality and orthodox religion (each major conquest = provinces completely converted before next conquest)
  5. Within approximate bounds of Burebista's Dacia

(vassals can be outside of them)
  6. Survive until 1821; if somehow I'm doing great before that, tech up and become a big trade nation
This means major fights with Hungary, Ottomans, Poland are guaranteed. I might have some fights with Austria or Bohemia later on - probably involving the HRE :confused:

It also involves fights with the Balkan (Bosnia, Serbia) countries because I cannot afford to not conquer them, I'm too small and poor in the start and I can't get my provinces back from the regional/great powers unless I "buff up".

Last edited:
Aaand I did it. I attacked Otto with Austria and Poland as my allies.

I had around 19k troops, Poland had about 60k, Austria around 50k, Otto 70k.
And we got stomped. A Mr. Mehmed II Osmanli, stats 4/6/2/1 decided to stomp our combined army when crossing a river. I had to follow the AI since it decided stupidly to engage in Anatolia and it was about to get surrounded and killed off there - I hoped we could win a major battle.

But, unfortunately, that 6!!! proved too strong.

I managed to back out of the war before things got disastrous. I lost all my Transylvanian provinces though:

I decided - this is going nowhere! So I waited for an opportunity to Westernize. Boy - is that painful. It's the first time I did it and I didn't fully understand how painful it is (very painful). I thought I had a decent army to keep me alive but actually the only thing that helped me survive was interventions from my ally - Poland.
I also had 1 triggered event to improve stability in all those roughly 15 years it took me to move on.

And it looked like the AI was piling up negative events. I lost my entire Adriatic fleet in one of them - my trade fleet - when I badly needed the money.

What was worse is that I actually got lucky during Westernization. Dalmatia (from the newly annexed vassal of Austria -> I hate you Austria! I'm the one that freed Croatia but they wouldn't join me because of the freaking tax base -> I badly need to improve it) and Ragusa (from Hungary) decided to join me so suddenly I had non-cored, non-Orthodox provinces in my kingdom. Ragusa especially was a pain to core - 165 ADM :(

Dalmatia of course spawned 25k rebels and they conquered 3 provinces before finally being put down.

And I finally finished Westernization with just 1 stability. My prestige is awful though and it's hard to make allies. I also need to attack Hungary but I'm a bit scared because I'm 5 levels behind on tech levels.

I Austria doesn't blob more maybe, maybe I can ally them (doubtful - they decided they want to hate me now :( ), cause I don't want war with yet.

The 1600s will be Wallachia's time. I want to catch up in tech, I'm making lots of $$$ and I want to build all the buildings + trade ships I can. Then I'm going to get my provinces from Hungary (maybe some more, who knows?).

Otto's a bit scary again but my alliances still seem to be holding up - for now. I just hope that my tech will grow fast enough to be able to handle the Ottomans.

Last edited:
Aaaand I did it again:

So, basically I finished Westernization and then with my paltry troops and ships I decided that I could attack the Ottomans with the help of my allies: Muscovy (#1 military), Austria, Poland and a decent Bohemia. But of course, Austria, Poland and Bohemia decided they'd fight each other about 3 years before I attacked the Ottos, so only Muscovy and Bohemia joined me.

Do you notice anything interesting from a military point of view here?

Well - Bohemia is untouched. All their army, the 19k + 20k stacks at the top, are sitting nicely in their capital. Heck, while Kebab is ravaging your ally you should just chill.
Austria + Hungary + Poland were either their rivals or their enemies so did not allow them military access. Meanwhile Otto got 100 warscore (I did not know that you lose automatically when that happens).

And the obligatory end screen:

Lessons learned:
  • Patience is golden. No, really!
  • Do NOT, I repeat, do NOT fall behind from a military point of view. Get a military advisor as soon as you can afford one. Pump up the military tech levels ASAP.
  • Do not prod Otto before 1600. Otto decided around 1570 to vassalize me so I got scared, but I think my military alliances looked menacing enough to keep him at bay for 50 more years. Mean while hit Hungary and TECH UP. I mean, I westernized and I did not even benefit from it :(
  • Get a good ADM advisor before/during Westernization.
  • Money from trade is really nice but light ships do absolutely nothing during wars. And this campaign is all about wars. Landpower + production + taxes is where it's at.

At this point I hope that the next (longer) attempt will succeed in forming Romania.

The list of objectives:
* Ironman 1444 - checked
* Wallachia - checked
* Form Romania - checked
* Only provinces of the same nationality and religion (each conquest = province completely converted before next conquest) - checked
* Within bounds of Dacia - mostly checked
* Survive until 1821 - in progress

almost all covered.

Aaaand I did it. I'm going to turn this AAR on its head right now and make it interactive.

The year is 1744 or so.
Westernized Romania, roughly conquered what I set out to conquer. Diplomatic/Religious/Defensive/Trade (I don't know what I was thinking at the time)/Offensive/that's it :(.
48 force limit, about 47 regiments. 50 light ships for trade. Around 10 ducats per month income with minimum military expenses.
(photos and history of the long lived Drăculești dynasty - sons of the devil Dracula - when I get home :) )

After about 200 more hours of playing (Münster, Burgundy) and probably at least 100 more hours of reading under my belt, I'm ready to start wrecking havoc with Romania.

Current possibilities:
1. invade Ottomans and become the new Byzantium (culture converting my way through Anatolia)
2. conquer Maramoros (real life Romanian province) from the mega-HRE (starting WW1)
?. any other crazy idea you think is achievable in 70 years

So, what will it be? I choose 2. - so that's 1 vote for it :p

I would also like to see you go for Maramureş! They have some awesome landscape & architecture.
So +2 so far for Maramureș and World War 1 in the 18th century.

This is sure interesting. I'd like to see you form Romania some day but for that I believe you have to defeat the Ottomans. Can't Poland and Lithuania help you with that?
Well, it has been very interesting, I even had Vlad III Drăculești aka Vlad the Impaler aka Dracula as ruler.
I have a lot of screenshots prepared for this AAR, they'll be coming up as soon as I have some time.

As always happens in Central Europe, the Ottomans are a very tough adversary as well as the maze of alliances formed by my neighbors.
Things are still scary at this point in time, but not as scary as they were in the first 2 centuries.

BTW, your Seven Years' War AAR is awesome. I hope I can have such nice AARs in the future, after I have more experience with EU 4 and AARs.

Last edited:
BTW, your Seven Years' War AAR is awesome. I hope I can have such nice AARs in the future, after I have more experience with EU 4 and AARs.

Thanks alot! But now focus on defeating the Ottomans. ;)

1. A bit of background on the "Wallachian situation"

Ok, so this is where we actually start. But before we start anything, we need to have a reason to start it - so this is an explanation why I'm starting this.
For this, we need to go a bit back in history, before the start of EU IV - actually a lot further back.

So, what is Wallachia, where is it and what does it do?

What is it?
Wallachia is one of the major provinces of Romania, the friendly Eastern European country that's all messed up:
1000px-Wallachia_13-16c.svg.png

Here's Romania with its many changes after its actual formation:
RomaniaBorderHistoryAnnimation_1859-2010.gif

Now that you know how Romania looks like, figure out where Wallachia is on the Romanian map ;)

Where is Wallachia?
I think I already said that, it's in Eastern Europe, since it's part of Romania and Romania is in Eastern Europe :p
Romania on the European map (the light orange blob unde Ukraine and to the West of the Black Sea:
Europemap-2010.gif

What does it do?
Well, currently not much, it's probably best know today as the place where Bucharest, the capital of Romania is. And also as the neighboring region of Transylvania aka Dracula-land.

Anyway, I said that Romania is all messed up. Before it, Wallachia was all messed up too, but to figure out why it's messed up we need a bit of history, as I said before.
The Romanians are a weird bunch. They're the only Latin people in the region, and they're the only people around which wasn't part of the migrations that brought down the Roman empire. We don't really know much about their history before the year 1000, cause this weird bunch was made up of farmers and shepherds mostly. So not a lot of people knew how to write back then.

What we do know we know from neighbors and from... us. Unlike the Aztecs or Mayans or Babylonians, we're still around and we still have our own language so we can figure some stuff out by studying... ourselves :)

So - what do we know (or at least we think we know, cause history is such an uncertain domain) about Wallachians/Romanians?

Well, we know that this area was inhabited a long time ago. And by a long time ago, I mean 40k years. Yes, 40k years, as in Warhammer 40k :p

Everything is a blur up until about 2500 years ago, where we have some friendly neighbors who liked to write (the Greeks). And from them we figure out that the region was inhabited by Indoeuropeans, the guys that are now inhabiting all of Europe/the Middle East/India, except for a few regions (like the Basque Country). The guys were the thracians. A part of them were the dacians. We think that they're our ancestors, based on some words from our language, but we're not really sure since... there's not much left since that time. Lack of writing and hundreds of wars fought in the region didn't help with preserving evidence, either :)

These guys were quite bad ass for a while. They were a group of tribes that didn't do much until a guy called Burebista, that united them and made a kingdom that stretched far into current Hungary, Ukraine and Bulgaria:

Why do I say that they were bad-ass? When:

1. you interfere in internal Roman politics during the time of the Roman Republic (Burebista supported Pompei)
  2. Julius Caesar makes plans to attack you just before he is killed (up there with the Parthian Empire)
  3. the last great Roman Empeor, Trajan needs 2 difficult campaigns to conquer you and after that makes a monument to show off his conquest
you're pretty bad-ass :)

So, around Trajan's time our second grandparent pops up. The Romans invade Dacia and half of it is turned into several Imperial Provinces.
Unfortunately for them, bad things start coming from the East, from the Steppes of Russia. And the only thing stopping them is a series of rivers: Prut, Nistru which tend to freeze in the winter. So they can just come and raid. Or just invade.

So a Roman emperor decides, this place is too dangerous! Aurelian moves the administration out.

And now comes the controversy.

Did everyone move out?
Well, people in this area were farmers and shepherds. Farmers aren't really moving, shepherds do move. But our kind of shepherds were not the nomadic, Mongol style. They were practicing transhumance - basically they move together with their animals, but only within a specific area: summer in the mountains, winter somewhere warmer near the mountains.
My guess is that all the Roman hotshots moved out but most of the Dacians were actually left behind.

Were the Dacians left behind Romanised? (aka future Romanians)
Englands was under Roman rule for 500 years but not a lot of Latin rubbed off. Nobody knows for sure, my guess is that the Dacians were more willing to learn Latin since they were already interacting/trading with the Romans plus Celtic cultures were a lot more resistant to external influence (see the English efforts to make the Irish speak English - it took them hundreds of years to do it, with a modern administration).

And this is when all hell breaks loose. Avars, Huns, Slavs, Ostrogoths, Magyars, Cumans, Mongols, everybody and their mother starts moving this way. Of course, pillaging and killing.
If you look for maps from the year 300 to the year 1300, no mention of Vlachs, Wallachs, Romanians, Dacians around here. It's like they're gone.
Then, all of a sudden, BOOM! 2 Romanian states appear.
VS8.png

The easy way out would be to think that they conquered the region. But the Romanians are peasants and especially shepherds. And we've already decided that they're not the Mongol kind of herder :p
The region was entirely wooded at the time and since they were used to moving around, they probably abandoned their villages and went with their herds in the mountains. Hard for any hordes to track them down.
This Modus Operandi is actually proven by Romanian resistance/military tactics later on, against the Ottomans.

So it's actually plausible that the people living here were just hiding in the woods/mountains.

We do have a lot of influences from our neighbors, especially the Slavs. My guess is that we interacted with them because they were farmers too. The rest were invaders, the Slavs were just farmers moving out of their homeland. Hard to live in a place where all the hordes like to go (the Russian steppes), especially if that area has no mountains or huge forests to hide in.

So we now have the 2 states we see in Europa Universalis IV: Wallachia and Moldavia.

Wallachia was actually named Ţara Românească in Romanian (Romania-land). Or Muntenia - from muntean (man of the mountain). So we just have more proof for how these people named themselves (they considered themselves Roman descendants) and how they survived the migrations (living/hiding in the mountains).
Moldavia is named after a river in the region. The inhabitants named themselves Moldavians but knew that they were brethren of the Wallachs since they spoke the same language, had the same religion and the same traditions.

Do we love our neighbors? Do our neighbors love us?

Unfortunately, we don't love most of our neighbors and they don't love us either.

Hungary
The Magyars came around they year 1000 and invaded part of Dacia (current Transylvania). Besides occupying some of Dacia (which we didn't like), they also wanted to have Wallachia and Moldavia as vassals - at least. They did have them for only a few years.
Basarab I kicked Charles I Robert of Hungary's butt using traditional tactics:
  1. scorched earth
  2. leader maneuver +1

(by the way, you'll notice this scorched earth/leader maneuver +1 quite often ;) )
Moln%C3%A1r_J%C3%B3zsef_Carol_Robert_fleeing_from_Posada_Battle.jpg

(Hungarian king almost getting killed during the campaign)

A Romanian leader was sent to form a Hungarian march in current Moldavia but Bogdan I decided he'd rather be independent.

Ottomans (+ Crimea)
Short story: the Ottomans don't love anyone. Hordes of course don't love anyone, either :)

Poland
Poland never reached as far south as Wallachia, but they did have Moldavia as a vassal. But they didn't love us much either.

Serbia
Serbia didn't care much about us. Which in this area makes them a friend, basically :p

Why is Romania messed up?

Well, we're a peace loving people. The real peace loving people, not the "I'll make more nukes than you so we can have peace", or the "I'll beat you into submission to have peace" type. Basically real peace, not George W. Bush-type peace.

And even though we wanted peace, all sorts of a**-holes on horses kept invading. Then after those were gone all sorts of a**-holes with guns kept fighting each other on our lawn. Cause our lawn was close and they didn't want to mess up their nice backyards (I'm looking at you Austria and Russia!).

We managed to pull ourselves up and I think we were the only ones in history to actually have popular votes in different countries for unification and actually succeed. Not only once (1859) but actually twice (second was in 1918). And the second time we had 2 states voting to be united (Transylvania, Bessarabia).
And then the friendly USSR came and took Bessarabia away. Transylvania was actually take away by Hitler during WW2, but that was annulled after the war. Of course, what Russia takes... is never given back.

And to top it all off, communism.

Now that I think of it, after 1877 (our War of Independence from the Turks), nothing good ever came from the East.

So am I doing this AAR?

REVENGE! REEEEEVEEEENGEEE! No, really, revenge!!!! :D

I'm actually trying to see if I can form Romania before it was formed historically (it couldn't be formed because we were not ready yet and because we had several greedy empires around us...), and if I can make Romania at least a medium-sized power. Ideally make it a world power, but not an empire. So one religion, one nation.

A sort of France in the East (we've always loved France, even though it's not always been mutual :D).

In the next episode we'll study what all this history means for the Wallachian starting position.

Stay tuned for:
2. And now we start rolling

Last edited: