• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Nein

Lt. General
2 Badges
Feb 19, 2013
  • Darkest Hour
  • For The Glory
I'm interested in editing the map (if only slightly), but I've already run into trouble during the initialisation. I put the Magellan files in the Paradox Interactive folder (the same one that contains For the Glory) as well as a copy of cmd.exe, and when I'm asked to input the "EU 2" folder I just write /D:"For the Glory", which causes an error.

So... is there a way to get around not actually having EU 2?

EDIT: I have version 2.2 ("Celebes"). For some reason I can't get the more recent ones out of the zip file (with WinRAR though, if that could make a difference).

I'm interested in editing the map (if only slightly), but I've already run into trouble during the initialisation. I put the Magellan files in the Paradox Interactive folder (the same one that contains For the Glory) as well as a copy of cmd.exe, and when I'm asked to input the "EU 2" folder I just write /D:"For the Glory", which causes an error.

So... is there a way to get around not actually having EU 2?

EDIT: I have version 2.2 ("Celebes"). For some reason I can't get the more recent ones out of the zip file (with WinRAR though, if that could make a difference).

I have no idea how to edit the map myself but does perhaps one of those threads give a hint about your problem?
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/magellan-noob.374083/
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/map-editing.795844/
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/magellan-1-0.245459/

I had already checked those threads, but I'm not sure if they deal with my problem (though I did try to follow the instructions). Another issue is that I can't find the error log that the program is supposed to create.

Magellan looks for the map folder and the province.csv file in the db folder (iirc) so you need to have those. FTG has the same map files but has province.txt instead of .csv so you just need to grab the csv from Eu2.

Edit: I believe you could even use a dummy province.csv. It won't export any of the province data to the eu2map format but you probably don't need that anyway.

Last edited:
I found that I actually had 2.4 somewhere in my HDD, so that's one less problem.
As for the csv file, I tried to change the format of the FtG txt (and put it in the DB folder rather than within Map), but what I got in Magellan was an error message mostly dealing with a "CSVReader", which probably means I need the proper file.

I found that I actually had 2.4 somewhere in my HDD, so that's one less problem.
As for the csv file, I tried to change the format of the FtG txt (and put it in the DB folder rather than within Map), but what I got in Magellan was an error message mostly dealing with a "CSVReader", which probably means I need the proper file.

I vaguely remember that Magellan should create the province.csv itself...
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...inces-from-eu-ii-to-ftg.829905/#post-18714402

Shouldn´t that whole discussion be in the modifications subforum?

If you're extracting a map, I think you need to proper file yes. Which map are you trying to extract?

Yes these were extracted from eu2 with all the db data so they come with all the province data (which you can see in mview). If you PM your email address I'll send them to you.

One last question... Say I want to remove some provinces to free up IDs, can I just delete their entries in provinces.txt or do I have to do something more? (I don't care if I can still see them in the map)

EDIT: Sorry... Another one: One tutorial I found says I have to make my changes in a new layer which I then merge with the Shading layer, so I did that to add two new provinces, one that I split from a larger one and the other is an island that I want to make an independent province. To add them, to I just separate them with the pencil and run the actions (Update Province/Borders, Create New Shading Set, Text Lighten)?

This is what I got right now:

I4ROQMY.png

Last edited:
One last question... Say I want to remove some provinces to free up IDs, can I just delete their entries in provinces.txt or do I have to do something more? (I don't care if I can still see them in the map)
No, first you have to remove the province from the IDs layer. Each colour in the IDs layer corresponds to a particular province ID (this is given by the mcolor tool). Essentially the colour defines the province and its clickability.

To add them, to I just separate them with the pencil and run the actions (Update Province/Borders, Create New Shading Set, Text Lighten)?
No, the changes have to be performed in the IDs layer. The borders and shadings are done later. The Photoshop actions build the shading and border layers from the IDs layer.

Tried deleting a few provinces in Siberia (though I didn't touch the Shading) but when I used mimage.exe (command: mimage.exe /i siberiadone.psd watk4.eu2map) I got the following error:

*** Environment Info ***

Magellan Build Version: Marianas-rc1 2.4.0.*
EU2 Lib Version: 2.4.0.18225
Date: 2015/07/08 16:14:36
Tool: mimage, Version=2.4.0.18225, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null (v2.4.0.18225)
OSVersion: Win32NT - 6.1.7601.65536
CurrentDir: C:\Program Files (x86)\Paradox Interactive
SystemDir: C:\Windows\system32
CommandLine: mimage.exe /i siberiab2.psd watk4.eu2map
CLR: 2.0.50727.5456
EU2: (no install)

*** Error Info ***

PSD.InvalidAdjustmentKeyException: Invalid layer adjustment key 'shmd'.
en PSD.LayerAdjustment.Construct(BinaryReader reader)
en PSD.ProtoLayer.ReadDefinitionFrom(BinaryReader reader)
en PSD.Layers.ReadLayers(BinaryReader reader)
en PSD.Layers.ReadFrom(BinaryReader reader)
en PSD.File.ReadFrom(BinaryReader reader)
en PSD.File.ReadFrom(String path)
en MapImage.QueryImage.Run(String source)
en MapImage.ImportImage.Run(String source, String target, Int32 regen, Point relocate, Boolean nowrite, PngLevel pngLevel, Boolean tolerant, Boolean checkIdgrid)
en MapImage.Boot.Main(String[] args)

7JUdT6G.png

If it matters at all, I also tried merging the "Layer 1" and "IDs copy" with Ids, only to get the same error.

I don't think merging layers is a good idea. You want to work on the IDs layer. Say if you want to transform Nenets province to PTI all you have to do is colour fill the Nenets province to black (which means PTI) and delete the border around the province.

At any rate the layers have to remain the same (Borders, IDs and Shading) before using mimage and the borders should never be touching with PTI. The 'Update Borders 'action draws borders around every colour change so you have to manually delete borders falling on PTI/provinces, sea-zones/provinces and rivers (in case of rivers, borders have to be drawn manually). Have a look at the original map to see how it should be done.

You should leave a little gap between the borders and PTI (e.g. 5px).

Edit: If this problem persists, download GIMP (a free graphics editor), open the psd with it and save/overwrite. Don't ask me why - just something I learned by trial and error.

Last edited:
After exporting with GIMP I got a different error (which is still great :D):

Error: Found invalid ID 2720 at (215,38). RGB value 1E2454

(Just in case, I never added in the changes I had in mind in South America)

I forgot to "check out" the Antialising of the fill tool... Now it finally works!

:D

EDIT:

Npq9VH5.png

The borders are off, though I suppose I can take care of that on my own.

My last question is about the Shading action, which I don't really understand how to use.

Anyways thank you VERY VERY much!!

Last edited: