How to fix Darkest Hour for Windows 8!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Are there any ways to get DH to run on Windows 10? I recently got a new PC after my old one died and I'm trying to get back into DH (as it's the best HoI imo) and I've tried all the listed solutions but nothing works and the game always crashes after 3 in game hours. I don't have anything AMD so those solutions aren't really applicable and I've kinda run out of ideas.

Are there any ways to get DH to run on Windows 10? I recently got a new PC after my old one died and I'm trying to get back into DH (as it's the best HoI imo) and I've tried all the listed solutions but nothing works and the game always crashes after 3 in game hours. I don't have anything AMD so those solutions aren't really applicable and I've kinda run out of ideas.

My copy of DH runs perfectly on Windows 10. I checked. I have the DH launcher.exe... Properties.... Compatibility mode is set for Win7.

My copy of DH runs perfectly on Windows 10. I checked. I have the DH launcher.exe... Properties.... Compatibility mode is set for Win7.

I finally got it working after messing with some stuff. Now I just need to mess with the resolution and some other stuff and I should be good to go again. Nice to see you're still around btw.

For anyone interested,
I had problems with AoD on WIN10, Nvidea and the STEAM version. The game would not start - the AoD process was just idling at task-manager view and no start-screen showed up or sometimes just a black screen. After I tried dozens of things I saw somewhere a hint to the Nahimic-driver, which is a sound-manager which comes with MSI-motherboards. So I just had to close this program and the game runs flawless now. So before you do the major stuff maybe just try to diable all the drivers atarting automatically which are in autostart.

I have one questions as well: I play with modded sprites and previously under WIN7 it was no problem to play with 10Gigs of sprites in the game. Under Windows 10 I get a crash on start screen with too many sprites somewhere in the Area of 1-2Gigs. Now I have 1.2Gigs of sprites enabled and it is running without problems. I just wonder because I had under Win7 only 8GB-Ram and magnetic drives and now have 32GB and SSD´s. So I do not understand why that game is more restrictive on the used Sprites-amount as previously under WIN7..?

Anyway..maybe someone can profit from my findings. Enjoy!

Short addon: The problem with the RAM-loading is a problem of the AoD-Beta-version 1.11. So not related to DH. 1.10 AoD is running fine even heavily modded. Regarding start problems it was verified that the Nahimic-application interferes (by the way that was also the case for Kotor in my case). Resolved just by closing Nahimic.

wined3d is causing a black screen and crash for me. How to fix?