How to fix Darkest Hour for Windows 8!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm getting problems from Windows 10 also (Win 7 worked perfectly), when first started resolution seems to be messed up and doesn't load properly plus game somehow ends up in lower right corner with part of the interface being unavailable:
View attachment 136624

Doing regedit method (other made things even worse) solves resolution problems and game is back to 1920x1080 and in upper left corner BUT parts of the screens at bottom and right are missing and showing desktop instead also it is impossible to scroll down (and again part of UI is unavailable).
View attachment 136625

But at lest in game screenshot with F11 works fine. :D
View attachment 136626

Attempting to use windowed results in a crash:

I did manage to make game run windowed in low resolution but that is hardly playable. :(
I had the same issue with DH 1.3 in Windows 10 after the registry fix. I've solved this problem by right clicking on Darkest Hour.exe, then under Properties choose "Disable DPI Scaling". I did the same with the Launcher, just to be sure. Then i start the game via the Launcher as Administrator and it runs. However, it's still pretty laggy.

Reactions:
I had the same issue with DH 1.3 in Windows 10 after the registry fix. I've solved this problem by right clicking on Darkest Hour.exe, then under Properties choose "Disable DPI Scaling". I did the same with the Launcher, just to be sure. Then i start the game via the Launcher as Administrator and it runs. However, it's still pretty laggy.

Thanks that worked! Let see how bad is the lag.

Do any of these "fixes" from the first post, perhaps fix the very small text I am getting from my Windows 8.1? The resolution on my computer is so high, I find it hard to read and see all the details on the screen while playing DH. Any fixes for that? Playing with the resolution in the launcher doesn't do much, except exacerbate the situation; but the resolution I'm on is: 1920x1080.

Reactions:
When I open Darkest Hour in windows 10 it prompts me to install soething called DirectPlay, if I try to do so it fails, and if I cancel the game gets stuck in the loadscreen with the main menu music playing... any tips?

Edit: FIXED

Last edited:
I found a way with WineD3D for AMD users.
This is the latest version and it seemed to have worked with my AMD graphics card. Just place them in the Darkest Hour folder. No need to chance the color or anything else. It should boot up after a few seconds and it seems to be working just like the original
EDIT: you can launch it from the launcher as well.
Problems so far:
-Mouse lag ONLY IN MENU but it works fine in-game
-Text in diplomacy tab is shaking
-The mouse lag returns when using the economy tab (I haven't seen it on any other tab) but once you exit the tab it goes back to normal
Here's the link to the website:http://adolfintel.com/index.php?p=wined3d/index.frag
I used the "staging version"

Attachments

• Darkest Hour fix.7z
    845,1 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
Just wanted to report that I bought a new laptop with Windows 10 pre-installed and there's no lag at all. It's as smooth as it was with Windows 7.

I used Baron Von Cucu's method and worked halfway, as opposed to being stuck on a white loading screen and then crashes, it now means I can actually load to the main menu, but then it crashes or just stays in a black screen after trying to load up the game

I find it disgraceful that Paradox doesn't feel the need to fix this issue. Yes, the game is many years old, but they still sell it to people, so it should be a working product.

Reactions:
When I open Darkest Hour in windows 10 it prompts me to install soething called DirectPlay, if I try to do so it fails, and if I cancel the game gets stuck in the loadscreen with the main menu music playing... any tips?

Edit: FIXED

I've fixed too.
Just for made an history post ... the solution is active the legacy content in the "Control Panel/Programs/Active Windows Function"

Attachments

• Immagine.jpg
    Immagine.jpg
    61,3 KB · Views: 679
I found a way with WineD3D for AMD users.
This is the latest version and it seemed to have worked with my AMD graphics card. Just place them in the Darkest Hour folder. No need to chance the color or anything else. It should boot up after a few seconds and it seems to be working just like the original
EDIT: you can launch it from the launcher as well.
Problems so far:
-Mouse lag ONLY IN MENU but it works fine in-game
-Text in diplomacy tab is shaking
-The mouse lag returns when using the economy tab (I haven't seen it on any other tab) but once you exit the tab it goes back to normal
Here's the link to the website:http://adolfintel.com/index.php?p=wined3d/index.frag
I used the "staging version"
thanks, this fixed the problem!

Nooo, you must wait a little bit. I know it sounds ridiculous but you must wait and then it works.

EDIT: Roughly ~15 seconds then it should work.

EDIT 2: With this package http://www.mediafire.com/download/wloe1fjsbboojko/WineD3D+1.5.22.7z (also copy and paste it into the Darkest Hour library, just delete the dxgi.dll) you can fully enjoy the game and also alt-tab out of the game ;)

All credits go to this site: http://www.gog.com/forum/divine_divinity_series/windows_8_slow_graphics_problem_fixed_using_wined3d

Cool. It works also on Win10.

Hello

Sorry for not being that active on the thread
If anyone has some fixes they want added to the front page then hit me up with a message :)

Has anybody figured out how to fix Darkest Hour for computers running on intel graphics card? I've tried everything and I still can't get it running lag free on my intel laptop with windows 8.1