How to fix Darkest Hour for Windows 8!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm having a similar problem.

I'm using a tablet, the game runs fine with the windowed mode fix. However, I can't see the entire game screen. The bottom is 'cut off' so I can't see the mini map completely and can't start research. Any ideas?

My screen resolution is 1366x768 and I'm running the game at 1358x693

I did this and it worked wonderfully for some time, but out of nowhere is starting to cause seemingly random crashes. Any ideas?

EDIT: It's not random, it's when I zoom out beyond the closest setting and move the map. No crashes so long as I operate on zoom setting one, and I can go in and out, but if the screen moves while it's beyond zoom one it will crash.

EDIT 2: Light lacks this problem.

EDIT 3: Now it won't open at all; just blackscreens and crashes. I cannot comprehend how this could be; I've changed nothing.

Last edited:
OK, I tried eeeex's fix again and it worked! This time I went straight to regedit and found the key for Darkest Hour, and copypasted the string there ($ DWM8And16BitMitigation WINXPSP3 Layer_ForceDirectDrawEmulation). Seems to work absolutely fine now, the only problem is certain applications will cause the game to flicker occasionally. For example, I had Free Alarm clock on my taskbar and sometimes it would pop in during the game. Also, I've had a lot more flickering running the game through Steam. So run the game from the .exe and have as little going on on the desktop as possible to avoid flickering. Oh, and the same fix works for For The Glory, another game on the same engine.

btw, is anyone else's UI kind of off-center to the left in higher resolutions? Kind of sucks since 1366x768 is my native.

Well so far not a single solution has worked... Very depressing, I will miss Darkest Hour.

Edit: Nevermind! I re-tried a few of the previous solutions and realized I am actually a monkey wearing clothing! The game now works like a charm, a little laggy starting up and exiting but besides that perfect!

[video=youtube;C3TUWU_yg4s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3TUWU_yg4s&feature=kp[/video]

Last edited:
I know this thread is old and nobody probably reads it anymore but none of the solutions here work for me.

I can launch the game fine and play it, the only problem i have is that the game is locked at 15 fps i guess this is what other people here call mouse lag even though it's not just the mouse lagging.

Going to 16 bit color mode doesn't seem to do anything, going windowed makes the game not work at all. That DirectDraw workaround or whatever doesn't work either, i get the black screen and then nothing happens i waited 2 minutes and then closed it, i tried couple times no difference.

Probably some latest drivers from Nvidia have f*cked everything for good, the game doesn't want to work.

EDIT: Tried the registry method as well and didn't work, still stuck at 15 fps.

EDIT2: Actually i just wrote the path wrong, now it works somewhat. The game is still at 40 fps only for some reason but that's already way more playable than 15 fps.

Last edited:
I know this thread is old and nobody probably reads it anymore but none of the solutions here work for me.

I can launch the game fine and play it, the only problem i have is that the game is locked at 15 fps i guess this is what other people here call mouse lag even though it's not just the mouse lagging.

Going to 16 bit color mode doesn't seem to do anything, going windowed makes the game not work at all. That DirectDraw workaround or whatever doesn't work either, i get the black screen and then nothing happens i waited 2 minutes and then closed it, i tried couple times no difference.

Probably some latest drivers from Nvidia have f*cked everything for good, the game doesn't want to work.

EDIT: Tried the registry method as well and didn't work, still stuck at 15 fps.

EDIT2: Actually i just wrote the path wrong, now it works somewhat. The game is still at 40 fps only for some reason but that's already way more playable than 15 fps.
Use the windowed mode fix, it works with Win8 64 bit.

Use the windowed mode fix, it works with Win8 64 bit.

If i put the game to windowed it doesn't work at all, just black screen and "stopped working" windows message. Apparently other people have experienced the same problem here.

Anyway i got the game working now with the registry fix, the menu just had low fps but the game actual game has pretty stable 60 so it's all fine not that it even matters much since it's a grand strategy game, only the mouse lag was annoying.