• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

StevenW

Creative Dir. Marketing -Paradox Int.
62 Badges
Apr 17, 2012
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Lead and Gold
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Pride of Nations
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • War of the Vikings
  • Starvoid
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • King Arthur II
Hello everyone!

When we made the more recent trailers for A Game of Dwarves, we needed to have some special camera controls implemented, which Zeal were happy to build into the game for us.

Given that you guys (and girls) are continually surprising us with your Dwarven creations, as well as your awesome videos & fortress tours, we figured it made sense to tip you off to the free-camera controls that let you make trailers like this one (British narrator not included)

[video=youtube;ds_9hknRvd0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds_9hknRvd0&hd=1[/video]

The features are already built into your copy of the game, you just need to activate them in your user configuration file

\Users\(your user name)\AppData\Roaming\Zeal Game Studio\A Game of Dwarves\user_settings.config

The Appdata folder is hidden by default, so you may need to show hidden files in Windows.

Make a backup of this file before you do anything else. Like Dwarven science, there are risks involved that can’t be completely understood by those that live above ground. I’m pretty sure it has something to do with the sun.

If you open the user_settings.config file in a text editor like wordpad or notepad++ and scroll all the way down, you’ll see a line titled:

“trailer_features_enabled = null"
Change “null” to “true”

Now save!

The camera controls should now be functional.

To toggle free-cam mode, press F8 while in game. You can point the camera in different directions by moving the mouse.

Pressing “WASD” allows you to move around.

You can change the speed with which the camera moves by rolling your mouse-wheel up or down. (mouse-wheel down slows camera speed, mouse-wheel up increases camera speed)

Pressing F8 again will toggle back to normal camera controls, but it will retain the camera speed for camera spin (pressing “Q” or “E”) This will let you do nifty slow spinning shots.

You can also hide the on-screen interface by pressing F9

In addition to all that, you can control game-speed by pressing + or -

I hope this helps you tell better stories and show off your Dwarven creations.

I’ve seen a few really impressive builds and can’t wait to see what else you Dwarvers come up with :)

Happy Halloween!

Steven Wells
Trailer & Video Producer
Paradox Interactive

Awesome, thanks for letting us know about this.

Given that you guys (and girls) are continually surprising us with your Dwarven creations, as well as your awesome videos & fortress tours, we figured it made sense to tip you off to the free-camera controls that let you make trailers like this one (British narrator not included)

So, you're going to be releasing the British Narrator DLC sometime, I hope?

Been trying to look around that user-settings file..
Took a copy of it - And offcourse - next after checking the camera was working - I tried altering the setting file..

Lightening, tessellation etc.
Because I am kinda semi-desperate to get some cool lights and shadows going...

Didn't work :/

If this darkmode is implemented somehow - I am sure it will take the game to a whole new level of sort...

Sorry I cannot reply to the Darkmode -thread.
I am one who check daily - if there is an update on it...

Because It's meant to be!!

I love shadows and light settings.
Keep playing with stuff like that in 3DsMax back in old days.

Bumpmap etc.

Thanks for the camera info..
Nice game.:)

ya i also wonder about the User_Settings.cfg

Can we customize it at our own, or did they just allowed us to change this only Feature/ Setting?
I saw a lot of intresting settings i would change and test some setups with a saved Copy but i'm to lazy to test each set.