• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mitchz95

Field Marshal
17 Badges
Feb 4, 2016
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Major Wiki Contributor
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
Hi all,

I want to mod more planetary ring textures into the game, but I can't seem to open the appropriate file (named in the title) with any text-editing applications. Even Notepad++ seems to get confused when I try -- it just displays random code and lettering.

How might I open the file in an intelligible way for editing?

We currently don't have any official way of opening and editing .mesh files, but there are a couple of fan-made exporters on the mod tool forum.

If you don't want to use a 3D application to edit it you can also change textures straight in the pdxmesh/entity files as well. If you open _planetary_entities.asset (gfx/models/planets) you can find an entity at the top named "gas_giant_rings_01_entity" using "gas_giant_rings_01_mesh". If you look at several other planets in the same file you might notice some of them has an attribute called "meshsettings". If you use this attribute and add "texture_diffuse = my_diffuse.dds" inside the brackets it will overwrite all diffuse textures in the .mesh file with the new texture. Same goes for normal and specular textures.

Here is the whole thing:
Code:
meshsettings = {
    texture_diffuse = "my_diffuse.dds"
    texture_normal = "my_normal.dds"
    texture_specular = "my_spec.dds"
    }