• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

DABegley

Major
8 Badges
Mar 19, 2010
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Rome Gold
  • 500k Club
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
I am playing the Byz in DW and it is 1628. I have 22 years left with the Holy War CB and am pushing that to the max getting deep into India and China but I have a problem. I am trying to sneak down the African coast and have taken various provinces and colonized everything from Transkei west. The English beat me to the cape, oh well. There are a bunch of European owned provinces that I can deal with later but Fujiwara has taken 6 provinces and I can declare on her with Holy War...or at least should be able to. Unfortunately I only get a blank box where all the various diplomatic options should be, this is a known problem I have seen in other threads but did not see a solution. I cannot declare on Fujiwara, or anyone else in Japan as far as I can tell. Is there a way around this or am I just SOL? Thanks.

My research since I wrote this post says I can but it will do me no good until Japan is united. I will try, supposedly I will be able to attack the Daimyos but when Japan surrenders I will be unable to choose the Daimyos territory in the peace settlement. I could choose Japan on game save startup, try and unite Japan, save, choose Byz at next startup and see if that works. I don't have much faith though.

Just checked, I have not discovered Japan/Kyoto yet so I cannot declare war on it. Such is life. I will have to wait for someone else to mash Fujiwara then take it from them.

It's ugly but I have figured a work around. I never could declare war on Fujiwara even though they owned one of my cores. When I discovered them I could declare war on japan but even after demolishing them and all the rest of the Japanese states and occupying all their turf I could not choose any of the occupied provinces as tribute in a peace proposal. However if you are in a war with an ally of Japan, in this case Ming, and Japan comes in on their side and Japan is not the leader in the war you can peace out with the leader and demand Japanese/Fujiwraran provinces as tribute. I obtained much of Fujiwaran east Africa that way and managed a land link to my east African provinces. Not pretty but it can be done.

Interesting. I think I'd have declared war on Japan, destroy Fujiwara's armies, finance patriots, wait till the provinces are Swahili/Mutapa again, and conquer them.