• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
angelscotboi said:
No I meant the MES knights. For some reason Cavarly type units are too big for EU2 and therefore do not appear correctly.

It depends on the size of the sprite image how large an area is selectable. Many of those have a large blank area around the horses, but not all of them. Like the Horse Archer Kaigon converted. It has very little dead space around it. The MES sprites had a lot of dead space. It would be very hard to remove that and still get them centered in each frame, though. We just work with whatever the Civ 3 guys did.

DSMyers1 said:
It depends on the size of the sprite image how large an area is selectable. Many of those have a large blank area around the horses, but not all of them. Like the Horse Archer Kaigon converted. It has very little dead space around it. The MES sprites had a lot of dead space. It would be very hard to remove that and still get them centered in each frame, though. We just work with whatever the Civ 3 guys did.

If im not mistaken those Knight Sprites were created by Bebro...im sure he would fix it for you if you asked.
If not - the Civ 3 modding community is HUGE and very friendly im sure you could find someone to create new "sprites" that you can convert.

The Horse Archer unit isnt a Civ 3 unit - its a converted AoK unit into Civ 3 format so that could be why it doesnt have much "dead space".

I think Horse Sprites arent all that compatible with EU2 period. I prefer to keep it uniform.

angelscotboi said:
If im not mistaken those Knight Sprites were created by Bebro...im sure he would fix it for you if you asked.
If not - the Civ 3 modding community is HUGE and very friendly im sure you could find someone to create new "sprites" that you can convert.
It's not _too much_ of a problem to downsize the free space, it can be done, I can do it, but it still takes time and priority.

angelscotboi said:
The Horse Archer unit isnt a Civ 3 unit - its a converted AoK unit into Civ 3 format so that could be why it doesnt have much "dead space"..
Don't think so... I think it's from Chariots of War or something like that...
I've never seen that one in AoK and I deleted all AoK units on site, since I found them to be of too low quality.

angelscotboi said:
I think Horse Sprites arent all that compatible with EU2 period. I prefer to keep it uniform.
True, but there a lot of interesting scenarios pre-EU2 period

angelscotboi said:

The Horse Archer unit isnt a Civ 3 unit - its a converted AoK unit into Civ 3 format so that could be why it doesnt have much "dead space".

Hmm. I hadn't thought of actually ASKING Bebro. There seem to be alot of requests out there for them to work on already, though. And I am not working with the EU2 period ;) .

DSMyers1 said:
Hmm. I hadn't thought of actually ASKING Bebro. There seem to be alot of requests out there for them to work on already, though. And I am not working with the EU2 period ;) .

No no. Eu2 Period. As in Ending. Full Stop. Done.

As in the horse sprites dont look rite within EU2 at all. end. period. done.

Not period as in time frame. :rofl:

angelscotboi said:
No no. Eu2 Period. As in Ending. Full Stop. Done.

As in the horse sprites dont look rite within EU2 at all. end. period. done.

Not period as in time frame. :rofl:

Ohhhh. ooops. :rofl:
That's why I'm using chariots :D
BTW. Kaigon, you do faster work than I do. Any ancient sprites would be appreciated.

Kaigon said:
It's not _too much_ of a problem to downsize the free space, it can be done, I can do it, but it still takes time and priority.

Hmm.... is that so? How do you do that, exactly? Can you resize the units as well (make them smaller)?

I tried to fix a Crusader King sprite like that, to make it same size as EUII sprites - but it went nuts and flickered... :wacko:

Hive said:
Hmm.... is that so? How do you do that, exactly? Can you resize the units as well (make them smaller)?

I tried to fix a Crusader King sprite like that, to make it same size as EUII sprites - but it went nuts and flickered... :wacko:
I haven't tried it, but I don't see any big problems with it, as long as you don't use Anti-Aliasing (since the borderpixels between the sprite and green space could become semigreen and not transparent). However, removing green space is likely easier than resizing sprites.

I'll start and try to reduce the green space in one of my sprites.

DSMyers1 said:

Well I dont think this would work for the horse graphics but it appears to improve things a little for infantry sprites where you have the problem of dead space.

I noticed just then that my converted sprite had a HUGE "dead space" circle around in when it was off where it was supposed to be - but as ive gotten closer to where the EU2 sprites are located (in relation the the flag and number) the "dead space" seems to have decreased a bit.

Maybe its my imagination...but maybe not...

EDIT: Naw just tested out this theory. Dont work. Never mind.

Last edited:
I would be in search for scottish clansmen, I would love to be able to get hold of those.:D

Kaigon said:
I've uploaded nine new sprites and fixed a few of the broken ones...
@ Archduke: Unfortunately, the scottish sprite is a mess... :wacko: and when repaired it won't be beautiful...

I think you should post all your sprites in the scenario forum Kaigon so everybody can see them. Spendid work! :cool:

Well, allow me to post a few observations in regard to these resizing issues, that I made before that ultra-easy way to convert units actually became reality (I wasn't that smart to discover it in one day and how it is written in the manual wasn't at all alike my first converting work when I just started...)

First of all the resizing problem: don't think too easily of it! Basically in most cases any resizing of the actual graphic will FAIL. This is simply because every unit has an assigned amount of pixels, as has every frame. Once you change the size you change the amount of pixels, therefor merging some of these, thereby often moving them with 1 pixel in one of the 4 possible directions. From own experience I can tell you that this will always mess up the whole animation (I call it the fever-effect, I guess you can imagine something by it and it does NOT look nice in the game). The only 'safe' way to resize stuff is enlarging the graphics, but that won't be usually what you wish...

Second: the resizing of the frame (i.e. to remove the 'dead space', without actually resizing the graphic). This is as such easier to do as that if you don't screw it up yourself the success is sort of 'guaranteed'. This was also how I actually converted the first units, before I discovered the full usability of FLICster - simply by cutting-out and pasting the parts from a converted cardboard which is the standard option of conversion in FLICster. In that way you can get the right frame that you wish. However, there are certain drawbacks:

-It requires a lot of calculations and good preparation. All frames have to be not only exactly the same size but also the unit-graphic needs to be all the time relatively in the same place, which is not that easy if you use a standard imaging-program only. Especially the placement of vertical cuts is tough as you miss good reference points in the images, especially for moving units. And if you make only one mistake - either by cutting or pasting the frame, the whole animation is screwed, and fixing it is not that easy at all...
I worked eventually myself with a calculator by had, counting and writing down the pixel positions to get the proper cuts... in that way converting only 1 of the 11 required animations took already half an hour.

-Besides the sole issue of lot of precise working you might also soon find out that such resized graphics simply get screwed up in game - apparently the eu-engine is not able to work with every possible frame-size and/or with the total size of the eventual animation. So you have to stick only to sizes which the game can handle and here I cannot help - I made some calculations myself while working (I designed myself eventually 1 sole size that I used for all units - it did sort of made the whole calculation-process easier as well btw ) but I don't have my notes anymore so the eager to experiment is all alone to rediscover it... ;)

Kasperus said:
-It requires a lot of calculations and good preparation. All frames have to be not only exactly the same size but also the unit-graphic needs to be all the time relatively in the same place, which is not that easy if you use a standard imaging-program only. Especially the placement of vertical cuts is tough as you miss good reference points in the images, especially for moving units. And if you make only one mistake - either by cutting or pasting the frame, the whole animation is screwed, and fixing it is not that easy at all...
I worked eventually myself with a calculator by had, counting and writing down the pixel positions to get the proper cuts... in that way converting only 1 of the 11 required animations took already half an hour.
True, but once I learned how to do it I was able to do action (macros) that solved the problem, especially for the running sprites, cutting down the numbers from 11 to 4, which really saves some time.
Currently, I've had one successfull reducing-dead-space sprite, the Arab Rider.

I've noticed something (I was the curious one, eager to experiment):
The sprite will flicker if the unitimage/each part of the sequence (size of bmp in pixels divided by number of units) is not even pixels. (67 will flicker, but not 66 or 68). This helped me solve all of my flicker problems I had before.

What i do wrong?
Here is my sprite:
fk_st.bmp

Here is my palette:
norman.bmp

Here is content of spr file:

Sprite = {
Bitmap = "FK_ST.bmp"
Origin = { x = 65 y = 85 }
Frames = 15
Palette = "norman.bmp"
Speed = 4
}

Here is effect:
bad.jpg

Please help me!

your palette is messed up....all's you need to do is resize a portion ( 1x1 ) of your sprite and rename it norman.bmp