• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(339)

Corporal
Oct 15, 2000
Visit site
Maybe it is clear for everyone but I just understood it properly last night...

When you conduct peace talks during a war and you would like to receive a specific province you actually have to possess the land physically by having an army (even small). It is not enough to have stormed the fortress and then have left the country.
Well, as I wrote, maybe it is clear for everyone (or written in the manual...), but you would expect that having 5'000 or 10'000 people in a garrison would be enough to claim the land. I'm sure there is a logical explanation...
Another thing, when your mission is to invade a country ('erobern'), it is also necessary to have people controlling the land with an army at the moment of the deadline.

Sigg

---------

E voglio i nomi di chi a mentito, di chi ha parlato di una guerra giusta. Io, non le lancio più le vostre sante bombe.

This was not the case in the beta test version. If you captured the fort, then the province was controlled by you. Has this been changed for the final version?

No you don't actually have to have a standing army inside the captured province. You already have a garrison in the city / fort you captured and that is enough.

Note: just because you HAVE captured a province, and demand it in peace talks, it doesn't mean they'll hand it over to you. If they don't it means you'll need to continue the war until there's no other choice for them.

Sapura

Originally posted by maurice:
This was not the case in the beta test version. If you captured the fort, then the province was controlled by you. Has this been changed for the final version?

Well, you do control (Besitzer) the province, but the opponent won't agree to give it to you during peace talks (nor propose it), if there are no armies there. Moreover, if you do not have an army in the province at the time of the mission deadline (Mission type: Milan erobern)(Take control of province Milan), you will have failed and you won't get any mission points.

Sigg

------------------
E voglio i nomi di chi ha mentito, di chi ha parlato di una guerra giusta. Io non le lancio più le vostre sante bombe

Originally posted by Sapura:
No you don't actually have to have a standing army inside the captured province. You already have a garrison in the city / fort you captured and that is enough.

Note: just because you HAVE captured a province, and demand it in peace talks, it doesn't mean they'll hand it over to you. If they don't it means you'll need to continue the war until there's no other choice for them.

Sapura

Hi Sap!

I'm just a poor private and just started the game a week ago. However, that was what I experienced with the german version. Should I try again?
:eek:

Sigg

------------------
E voglio i nomi di chi ha mentito, di chi ha parlato di una guerra giusta. Io non le lancio più le vostre sante bombe

I'm just a poor private and just started the game a week ago. However, that was what I experienced with the german version. Should I try again?

Yes, I don't think its a bug. Listen the a.i may refuse you the province. It's not at all guaranteed that they'll accept your terms

a) no you DONT have to have troops in the captured provinces AFAIK. You already garrison it after capturing the city so thats enough.

b) Even if you do capture it the a.i will almost always refuse your demand to take the sole province. You'll need to take more / win a higher 'star' victory. i.e. I think if you win a 3 star victory you're allowed to take one province and a bit of cash. Even THEN they may refuse you.

Fair enough otherwise it'd be too easy. Since they still have the power / resources to recapture the province / or even 2 or 3 that you've taken.

Sapura

Thank you for the quick reply!

Well, I agree with the mechanism. It would be too easy to just attack, grab a province and then sue for peace, without taking account of the strategic evolution. Not to mention the fact that peace talk could really drag for ever in reality.
Moreover, I think that the only time a country is obliged to accept a peace treaty is when you ask 4 stars less than what you are entitled to ask.
Regarding the 'erobern' mission problem, I actually experienced it. No army, no mission points.
Concerning the fact that you have to have an army in the province to have it in peace talks, I must add a further precision. I was talking about peace talks where I asked for a compensation that amounted to the full amount of stars (i.e. 4 stars = 2 provinces and 6 stars=3 provinces). If I had no army, they NEVER accepted it, while When I had armies, they accepted.

Sigg

Sigg, for the mission, the province has to be yours (annexed to your country). Militarily controlling it while still at war with the owner does not count.
So you have to :
-declare war
-capture the province
-annex it as a peace condition

My experience as far as playing goes is that: a) it's not just that control of the fort allows you (without an armyin the province) to ask for the province in peace talks--it is a must! If you haven't captured the fortress, then you don't control the province as far as peace talks go. I am not sure, however, what happens if you have the fort, but the enemy is laying siege to it when you go to peace talks... the AI may consider this province no longer yours!

b) yndenwal is correct; the computer does not care if you have an army in a province or not at the deadline of the 'erobern' mission, but you do have to have annexed the province, so that it is a part of your country... possessing during war and vassalizing do not fulfill the requirements.

------------------
'Therefore take heed how you impawn our person,
How you awake our sleeping sword of war.
We charge you in the name of God, take heed;
For never two such kingdoms did contend
Without much fall of blood...'
Henry V (a la Shakespeare)

I am not sure, however, what happens if you have the fort, but the enemy is laying siege to it when you go to peace talks... the AI may consider this province no longer yours!

It's still yours until its fully recaptured. Therefore it can be used as a bargaining chip / demanded in treaties.

The AI consider its own remaining armies during peace talks.
Look at the 'star system'. Gain more stars to force the AI to admit its defeat.

If you grabbed a province, seizing the fortress but more than 100k of the AI armies are coming, don't expect your ennemy to accept to give you the province :)

Pierre

There is one more thingy guys... :)

If I attack Poland as Bohemia marching to the Ukraine and get beaten five times and at the same time assault and take the undefended Kraków then...

1 taken provins = +2 stars
5 lost battles = -5 stars (I think)

Then if I am right that is the total is...

3 gravestones.

Nothing can be craved at peace negotiations.

/Greven
Author of the M.