• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thank you, I am happy that you start your AAR! I will be following it with great interest!

Yup I'm going to do one too. Have written many for my a Total War and Football Manager games and reckon it's time to do one for this

Question Nuka: how do you get the screenshots?

Yup I'm going to do one too. Have written many for my a Total War and Football Manager games and reckon it's time to do one for this

Question Nuka: how do you get the screenshots?

If you use steam, during the game, press the F12 button to take a screenshot. When you exit the game, you should have a window opening with all the screenshots of the last session. You can also open it from the steam menu. I take a lot of them and do a selection. For the forum I use imageshack to integrate the screenshots to the post.

Nice one-thanks

Chapter 12: Overwhelming glory

“I hate this country, Lord Wigerich, I hate it with all my soul! Since we’ve got here, there is only rain, and rain and rain… Ahhhh!!! Fuck it!
The young lad had just fallen in the mud. All the road was mud. The lord was looking at him with some amusement.
- Jérôme… stop complaining for once. We are merely guests here… What should Lord Eanfrith think of you, complaining about his land?
- Don’t worry my Lord, I am aware that our wet Northumberland must be unpleasant for a subject to the king of West Francia. It is said that your land is sunny and warm.
- It is said a lot of things I guess, but I assure you we also have rain, and quite a lot!
- How is king Karlmann by the way ? He is a close friend of you, isn’t he?
Lord Wigerich, Duke of Flanders, went immediately silent.

- Lord Wigerich. I hope I haven’t talk too much. I meant no harm.
- None is done, my Lord. It is time we leave. Jérôme, ready the men, prepare my horse, we are going. By the way, how far are we from Jorvik?
- It is York now, my lord, answered the angle lord. We have thrown away the horrible danish name. I lost the county for a time but my brother, the king took it back for me.. And it is less than five hours at feet. Would you like that we rush and wait for your men in the warmth of the grand hall? A good hot wine would be something I would appreciate.
- Tempting but unwise, my lord. We don’t know what is lurking in the forest surrounding us.
Quickly, the small troop - merely a fifty men at arm following lord Wigerich and his companions - was marching again. Lord Wigerich put his horse near the one of his guide. The later went back to the earlier conversation:
- My Brother was so happy to take York back from Mercia’s clutches that he offered me to build a new castle. I don’t know why but he is avoiding Durham of late… Since the death of our beloved mother in fact.
- Sad indeed. The war was won and it was a great victory, my Lord.
- Great it was, especially when you see the state of our enemy kingdom. Mercia is no more ! The little princess who took the castle after his father’s death named herself queen of Lincoln, while one of his brother was fighting for the crown. Foolish southerners. Foolish woman. Women are not fit to rule, believe me, my Lord. For instance, the Bitch… the queen of Skotland… Well, she died by the hand of his own uncle. Stupid nordmen, they were reaping each other throat before you would know it. Now it is his sweet brother who rules the kingdom, and he faces another rebellion. The lad is too tender to rule. A boy lover this one, it is known. Yet, he had the wisdom to convert to the true faith. Know they are brother of faith… I can’t hardly believe it. Damn rain, not again!
A heavy rain started to fall on the group. Lord Wigerich started to shiver and put his leather hood on his face again.
- The rain is really strong here… So the heathens’ menace is gone ?
- You wish! When one kingdom fall, another one rises! The king of the Danes started an invasion. He is eating through the petty kingdoms in the south, now that the north of our island is christian again! The ironie! Let us hope it stays this way. But the danish king is strong, very strong. We have to be cautious.
The rest of the trip was made on more usual gossip and story of the customs of the Angles. Suddenly, the wood seemed to disappeared, and Lord Eanfrith shouted:
- Look, my lord! At last! My city! York!

The bridge on the river Ouse

The rain stopped suddenly. Here it was, the city of York, surrounded by the rivers Ouse and Fuss. Nothing more than a few settlements, many of them constructed in the danish style. At the junction of the two rivers, a stone castle was under construction. Many workers were carrying heavy stones, despite the cold. Some were professionals, builders this ones, since they were ten. But mostly were serfs, obliged by their feudal obligation to serve their master, the king of Northumberland. They seemed ghastly, these ones, frail and damaged by a life of working with too few pleasures. The castle was not even nearly finished. It would take years still, but it started to look good, powerful indeed, with a great surrounding of the fields and forest around. A nice place, fully garrisoned, a place fit for the growing power of the Isles.
“A place fit for a king indeed… more than a petty king” though Wigerich, Lord of Flanders, vassal of the king of France.
- The king and his men are still in the viking fort, beside the castle. Behold!
The fort was a wooden construction, partially burnt - many wars had been waged here - and it was clearly destined to disappear, once the castle would be achieved. A primitive castle built in the fashion of the snow lords of the North.
- My father besieged this very fortress, some thirty years ago, said pridefully lord Eanfrith. Aella took the fort himself. It was a great day. The so named king of Jorvik, Halfdan, converted to keep his lands that day, breaking the union with his brothers, the sons of Lodbrok. It was the beginning of the end for them. The piglets are killing each others!
- The piglets?
- Sorry my Lord, it is how we call the sons of Lodbrok, for he was known as the old boar.
- I see… Shall we go to the white castle?
- No my lord, the king is in the fort. It is made of wood and it is hard to heat, but trust me, it will be better than outside! Your men can go to the field there, we will take care of their need.
- Thank you lord Eanfrith, you are a remarkable host.
- I am only doing my duty, and I am not your host. King Eadulf is your host.”

A cold shiver sized Lord Wigerith when they descended the road leading from the forest to the castle. All over the road, at each side, hanged bodies were slowly balancing, with clouds of crows circling them. Some were on a horrible state of decay, and all of them stripped from their clothes by scavengers.
- This people… What have they done?
- Thieves and murderers. The Justice of my king has become very strict. He takes a great interest in judging, sentencing and executing.
- You mean... ?
- He is the one who put the notch around their neck, yes. “The one who sentence is the one who shall bring it forth” said he to his three sons.
- I have heard the heir of the kingdom won’t be here ?
- Ælthemaer inherited the county of Usora. Don’t tell me where it is! Near the eastern empire, it is known. The poor queen Jadviga died so young… Yet, my Lord, you will see my two other nephews. The first one is a clever one… I mean… his tongue is like honey. The other one is sweet and calm. Osmund and Ælla. They will be at the dinner this evening.”

30 IN DIPLOMACY!!!!!!!!!!

A dark spirit lurks around them... Whispers are speaking of a family curse...

For a week already, the dark voice was whispering to him, louder than usual. “Bring them to me, let me taste their fear, let them embrace the kiss of the dark and cold god! Thanatos is his name, and he obeys to none. Have you seen it? The dying light in their eyes?
- Yes… And it was beautiful.
- You see… Time has come for you… To rise… Guests from the distant land are coming. They are bringing you great news… You will be more powerful than ever…
- More powerful than ever…
- And more benevolent to my desires…
- Of course… It feels so good…
- Envy will be there… You will see it in the smile of the beloved… Envy that could destroy you, unless you destroy it…
- They are all so jealous of my glorious path…
- Yet the betrayal will be harder than you think. The wine bearer want to make you drink from the darkest cup… Don’t drink… Remember him. Make… him… pay…
- The one who will pour me wine then? I see…
- Silence now, my sweet child, here they are… Their words will be like the honey and the milk of the holy land…”

Eadulf sat on the throne room. It was still a room with wooden walls, yet he knew he would soon have a castle that befits his glory. He waited there, his sword on his knees, playing with his scepter. The crown on his head has been made anew, with gold and jewelry. He had to raise another tax on the commons, but he didn’t care. They were too frightened to contest it. He was their king, they had to obey. He looked around him. His court was filled with this concerned face lately. People were looking at him with fear, whispering in each other ears… God, he hated them… They were lesser beings, and yet, some of them were willing to take his throne. He could feel it.
“Broken toys… This is what they are, aren’t they? whispered he to himself.
But the dark voice remained silent.

The two unlanded sons entered the room together. He looked at them. Osmund, so brilliant, so clever, such a perfect heir… Yet second by birth. He could sense his hubris inside him, he could see how the second boy would love to hear the death of the first one…
“I would like you as my heir”, did he think… Yet, even if he could bring death to peasants and lesser men, he was unable to think of murdering his own blood.

A murmur started to spread until the grand door went open, and his chancellor announced:
“Wigerich, Duke of Flanders, Great Lord of West Francia, ask for an audience.
- Let him come, answered Eadulf.
Wigerich was a pretty man, in his forties, red haired, fair skinned, with intense blue eyes. He stood in front of him, not bending the knee. It was offensing, very offensing… For even if a great duke was equal in power to a petty king, Eadulf had the regal title. A schocked murmur started to rise from the crowd, and Eanfrith, content and scared Eanfrith was looking at his guests with horror.
“Are you Eadulf, king of Northumberland?
- I am, Duke.
- I do not bend in front of a petty king, answered him.
A murmur of terror started to spread from the numerous mouth of the crowd, yet Eadulf looked at him with suspicions. What was his point ? Suddenly, the duke unsheathed his sword and bent, presenting it in front of him, as a gift.
- I do not bend to a petty king, but I bend the knee to the true king of West Francia and my rightful liege.
The murmur went more intense as Eadulf, troubled, rose from the throne. Wigerich was happy of the effect his little show generated.
- My lord… What are you talking about ?
- I speak the truth. I have traveled through the sea to bring you the news that your kingdom awaits you. I traveled through the scorched soil of what was the Heptarchy to ask you to come with us and seize what is rightfully yours.
- But… I am not the king of West Francia… Karlmann is…
- An usurper, as his father usurped the throne… You are the rightful king of the glorious kingdom. If you allow me to show you, my king!”

Wigerich whispered something at the ear of Jérôme who rushed out of the room to come back ten minutes later with a grand Book. It’s cover was painted in gold and jewels were encrusted into the thick leather.

“Behold, lords of England, the grand Book of West Francia. Legends are told that Charles the great, a few time before his death, made as many books as they were heirs to his great empire. It has been made mandatory for each one of his sons to put in this book the name of every descendant they would have. Here is the Great Book of West Francia. The matter on how we were able to get such a treasure from the personal library of the… king… is of no importance. What is essential here is to bring you plain proof.
- Plain proof of what, asked Eadulf, thrilled.

“Proof of the power you will have my child… Proof of the glory that awaits you and your children if the sacrifices are made”, whispered the dark voice. “I promised to reward you for the many feasts you gave me…”

- Proof that you, Eadulf of Northumberland are the true king of West Francia. The so named king Karlmann is an usurper. We have proof that the crown of West Francia is yours by right. Many grand dukes of the kingdom and lesser counts have enticed me as a messenger: the good kingdom is at the peak of civil war and we need you, my king. Yours are our swords, we are your men to obey your will and to help you seize the throne which is yours by birthright.
Eadulf looked at Eanfrith with astonishment. Osmund, the second son, seemed lost in his own thoughts, when the young Ælla shouted : “Does that mean I am a prince of France ?”. After a minute, Eadulf approached Wigerich.
- Raise, my Lord. Show me your proofs.
- At once, my King.

The great book was opened. Wigerich explained everything. It was almost certain that he was the one behind the faction putting forth the claim of Eadulf.

“As you know, my Lord, your mother, Lady Gisele, was in a coven when your father, King Ælla, married her. She was the sister of Louis the Stammerer, son of Charles the bald, son of Charles the Great. When Louis died, the crown went to his son, Loïs. When Loïs died, the crown went to his son Loïs, then his second son Luï. When the later died, the crown went to the boy Louis, Grand Nephew of Louis the Stammerer, who shortly died under dire circumstances… The poor boy survived a manure explosion, hunting accidents and poisonous snakes in his bed, to eventually fall from the Grand tower into the river Seine… Many accuse the father of the current king KArlmann of France, Arnulf the Proud, grandson of Ludwig the German - who would have received the kingdom of East Francia if his father, Karlmann the cruel, haven’t lost it for his brother. It seems to us that this Arnulf, filled with rage and hatred, turned his eyes to West Francia… It is told that he corrupted the council of the West to help kill his distant kinsman and seize the throne.

The branch of West Francia, starting with Charles the Bald, ending with Louis (such a tragedy)

The Great Book relating Eadulf to Charles the Great, through his mother

The little house of Northumbria in comparison

Wigerich rose in a dramatic posture:
- I tell you, my king, such felony cannot be suffered in the eyes of God! A vile act taints his authors and their sons. Karlmann may not have pushed your distant cousin in the dark waters surrounding the island of the city, in Paris. Yey he most certainly share the blood of the murderer. By your mother, you are more close to Charles the bald than Karlmann is. My king, we stand besides you to help you sit on the throne that belonged once to Charles the great !”

The dinner was a small one. More a council to discuss the matter of the forthcoming war. Eadulf was discusting eagerly with his guest and learnt that the faction was huge. A lot of the grand lords of West Francia were on his side. It was like a gift made for him… A gift of the Dark Voice… He agreed to follow Wigerich and meet at Calais the lords of France. Messengers were already rising the levies in order to add the army of Northumberland to the one of his faction. Ælla was joking all the dinner about Paris and the girl there when Osmund approach his father.
“Here father… Have some more wine.”
His son filled his cup with dark red wine and looked at him smiling… Eadulf looked at him in despair.
“Not you, my favorite son, was he thinking, not you, please…”
But the Dark Voice stood silent, for none had to be said.

None would have think that Osmund died poisoned… Never had he intended to kill his father, never had he poisoned the wine. Yet, the fever took him on a cold night in the castle of Gwynned. He had been made count of Gwynned shortly after that night. His daughter, a toddler, sat on the throne of the one who could have been king of France and died so young, by order of his father.

Eadulf did not intend the funerals… He was in Paris, receiving the crown of West Francia from the hands of Karlmann, Duke of Normandy, Count of Eu and of Paris. No war was needed… Karlmann was not willing to risk his life for that heavy crown. He seemed almost relieved when it lay on the head of the english man. Eadulf rose as the bells started to ring, under the cheers of the lords and the crowd.

From this moment, people started to use the name of France instead of West Francia, to mark the end of the rule of the Karlings. A great family has risen on the throne of the mighty Kingdom. Eadulf was king of France.

"A nice gift", was he thinking... But only fools could think that the Dark Voice makes gift.

Last edited:
Sorry for the bigbreak. It has been a month now, but I had a lot to do IRL. I am a bit ashamed though... :(

I managed to take a break and now I am ready to write the rest more rapidly (especially since imageshack has upgraded everything, it is much faster to do all the image management now!)

I hope you'll enjoy it. I will try to go faster in order to finish the AAR before the big Rajas of Inda Saves incompatibily apocalypse! (Anyway, I can stay on beta pre-raja if necessary).

As you see, the story made a big turn... Things are getting very interesting (I know it was a nice idea to marry this nun sister of a king... remember the big deal with Aella divorce and remarriage?) The situation of whole Europe is currently very weird, but I will make you a short review on the next chapter.

Enjoy!

What a twist! the French crown! Do nto be ashamed Nuka I think that we all understand rl commitments :happy: