• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Brad1 said:
I remember Kanitatilan saying that HQs to not cost MP to reinforce, and thus can be used in pretty much any attack.
I might be wrong about HQ costing manpower. But they still suffer terrible strength losses, which are expensive on IC to restore. And what good are they in combat? They are utterly worthless. There is no value added to sending them into combat. Why risk seeing that HQ destroyed through loss of strength? They can just hang out in the rear until the forward province has been taken, and then they can move forward.

I have copied all your posts into one Word-document (about 100 pages including screenshots so far!!!) and have started to follow your instructions step by step yesterday. I am beginning to understand the game for real now. This tutorial is better than any manual could ever be! Keep up the great work! Thank you!

hoover2701 said:
I have copied all your posts into one Word-document (about 100 pages including screenshots so far!!!) and have started to follow your instructions step by step yesterday. I am beginning to understand the game for real now. This tutorial is better than any manual could ever be! Keep up the great work! Thank you!

Same here. I can consider myself a veteran player I think, but still learn things now and then from this. :)

hoover2701 said:
100 pages! Wow, it sure doesn't seem like it... I don't think I've ever written that much for anything else.

If anything is confusing or unclear, please let me know... I don't have the same perspective as you do, and I may "assume" that the reader knows things, so I appreciate any criticism you can provide!

Ironhead 5 said:
If anything is confusing or unclear, please let me know... I don't have the same perspective as you do, and I may "assume" that the reader knows things, so I appreciate any criticism you can provide!

As you mention it... In the part dealing with production (the rocket site) you write: "We want that gearing bonus, so click on the + button next to Parallel Runs..." Shouldn't that be Serial Runs?

zdlugasz said:
Regarding lesson 3 and building, especially rocket facilities.
Are they really usefull when you have von Braun?

well, i cant be sure whether the rocket test sites are that good, but yea theyll definitely come handy if youre going for ICBM research, but also many later model divisions tend to have rocketry component in them, like the mechanized divs. Its a small bonus but still, not to mention that mauser doesnt have that rocketry specialization :). Messerschmitt on the other hand is just godsend, the perfect techteam for jet aircraft even without any rocket test sites.

hoover2701 said:
As you mention it... In the part dealing with production (the rocket site) you write: "We want that gearing bonus, so click on the + button next to Parallel Runs..." Shouldn't that be Serial Runs?
Yep. Good catch.

Corrected now.

Trinitrotoluen said:
One thing that can make life easier for Germany is not to invade the Netherlands in '40. They are a good trading partner and can provide a lot of materials for your industry. Once Japan starts issuing its DOWs, they will automatically join the allies and will have to be taken care of though.

However Netherlands have AIs event which embargoes all trade to Germany if Germany are at war with Belgium or Luxembourg, so they will not trade with you any longer (although may accumulate stockpiles)

Regarding Garrisons and partisan activity:
IMO in France and Danmark you do not need to use it at all, I use only allied divisions in on beaches and in every 3rd or forth province.
Additionally is not putting 1 garrison per one province in Norway an overkill - GAR +POL will reduce partisans in adjacent province by about 8% (I am not sure how much exactly right now). So if you put garrison every second province that one in the middle will 16% reduction from its 2 neighbours (sometimes even 3 neighbours), leaving (IMO) acceptable 1 digit partisan activity (and on the top I puy allied INF or CAV to keep order).

zdlugasz said:
Regarding Garrisons and partisan activity:
IMO in France and Danmark you do not need to use it at all, I use only allied divisions in on beaches and in every 3rd or forth province.
Additionally is not putting 1 garrison per one province in Norway an overkill - GAR +POL will reduce partisans in adjacent province by about 8% (I am not sure how much exactly right now). So if you put garrison every second province that one in the middle will 16% reduction from its 2 neighbours (sometimes even 3 neighbours), leaving (IMO) acceptable 1 digit partisan activity (and on the top I puy allied INF or CAV to keep order).
Are allied divisions better used in France then in Russia? Even if they are 1918 or 1936 models... consider that GARs use 4 manpower, we can pump out a shitload with negligible effect on our manpower, and a huge boost to our TC.

I think you're right - mathematically, it is better to accept a level of risk with partisan activity and only garrison every other province in Norway, and keep France and Denmark essentially un-garrisoned. But at the same time, I want to eliminate the chance that someone is following along with a game of their own, and then BAM - they get a rebellion in Norway they can't get to right away. Or whatever.

Ironhead 5 said:
Are allied divisions better used in France then in Russia? Even if they are 1918 or 1936 models... consider that GARs use 4 manpower, we can pump out a shitload with negligible effect on our manpower, and a huge boost to our TC.
I guess it all depends on your TC level and gamestyle. With build of IC I never had TC problems untill I was very deep in Russia (placing garrisons more or less every second province of course - still a lot of them) and then there was Bitter Peace. Of course on hard and very hard you have less IC but this is for newbies. IMO it is not only MP issue but also IC issue: assuming that you need to produce two times lower number of GAR, you have spare IC for Armor, bombers etc.

Regarding use of allied infantry - I use them mostly to support/hold front line only (and to occupy conquered terrains). IMO only superior (and fast) German (or Japanese or etc. - playing other countries) troops (armor and Mot and Mech with fast INF to follow) should be used for breakthroughs and encirclements. HUN, BUL etc have lower models - thus fight longer and take higher losses, also have lower morale and organisations (lack of doctrines or worse tree). IMO they can be use only as auxilliary troops, only attacking with German troops, while your troops break front.
That way you progress faster and your verall losses are lower (for Axis, and I think that BUL, HUN etc do not have high MP reserves).

I think you're right - mathematically, it is better to accept a level of risk with partisan activity and only garrison every other province in Norway, and keep France and Denmark essentially un-garrisoned. But at the same time, I want to eliminate the chance that someone is following along with a game of their own, and then BAM - they get a rebellion in Norway they can't get to right away. Or whatever.

That is why there should be an odd allied division even in Norway - to put down eventual partisans.

We are now at war with Greece, and we must immediately send some units south to deal with it. Greece isn't terribly strong, but they can defeat the few Italian and Bulgarian units in the area. Highlight the panzer corps in Yugoslavia, and send them to Stip. Meanwhile, highlight the Expeditionary Forces we have in Stip and Skopje, and have them attack Edessa.

While we're waiting for our panzer corps to arrive, we get an event giving us the option to create an independent Croatia. This allows us to create a puppet state with no dissent hit (normally, if we choose the "liberate nation" option from the Diplomacy folder we incur a 5% dissent hit). In creating Croatia, we also get a sorely needed boost to manpower, as well as three free INFs. Choose to create Croatia.

1croatia.jpg

Also, go ahead and start a parallel run of 13x GARs and 4x POLs to garrison Yugoslavia. If supplies are running low (like they were in my game), you may need to open up your automated slider management tool and de-prioritize reinforcements and upgrades, if they aren't already.

After your Expeditionary Forces take Edessa, have your panzers march there as well. After they arrive, send one panzer corps and the Expeditionary Forces to take Salonika; send the rest of the panzer corps to take Athens.

2greeceinvasion.jpg

Athens and Salonika are the only two VP provinces Greece has (unless you are playing vanilla HoI2, without the Doomsday expansion, in which case Crete is also a VP province and will require an airborne assault to take). Note that as we conquer Greek provinces, they fall under Bulgarian control instead of German control. This is because our forces attacked from a Bulgarian controlled province. Whenever we attack from another countries province, any provinces taken will belong to that host country (unless the host country happens to be our puppet country, such as Croatia). Furthermore, because these provinces belong to Bulgaria, we cannot annex Greece. We have to wait for Bulgaria to annex Greece, and they may not do so right away. If you find yourself waiting around for a few days for Bulgaria to annex Greece, make sure that the Greeks aren't cutting off your units in Athens!

After Greece falls, you can let the game run for a while. If you are blitzing England, be sure to keep an eye on things there, and grounding your planes if they take too much of a beating (or if you can't keep pace with the cost of reinforcements). In August, we should be getting another run of 3x MTNs. Deploy them to Rostock, and then cancel the rest of the run of MTNs. Wait until we brigade this last corps with ARTs before shipping them up to Helsinki.

As techs are being discovered, assign the following research teams to work on the following techs, in this order:
  • Mauser Werke to work on Improved Motorized Division
  • Erich Raeder to work on Floating Fortress Doctrine
  • Wernher von Braun to work on Flying Rocket Development
  • Junkers to work on Advanced Oil Refining
  • I.G. Farben to work on Small Arms Assembly Line
  • Mauser Werke to work on Improved Infantry Division
  • Porsche to work on Improved Medium Tank
  • Hugo Sperrle to work on Infrastructure Destruction Doctrine
  • Junkers to work on Basic Synthetic Oil Plant
  • Mauser Werke to work on Improved Mountain Division
  • I.G. Farben to work on Ship Assembly Line
  • Opel to work on Deep Vehicle Repair Organization
  • Konrad Zuse to work on Basic Electronic Computer
  • Werner Heisenberg to work on Isotope Separation Facility
  • Heinz Guderian to work on Kampfgruppe Doctrine
  • Erich von Manstein to work on Basic Hospital System
  • Konrad Zuse to work on Basic Electronic Computer

When our GARs are produced, deploy them to the thirteen provinces in Yugoslavia that we conquered. Attach a POL brigade to the GARs in Ljubljana, Maribor, Banja Luka, and Pristina. We will also be getting another couple of INTs; assign them to a new wing in Warsaw. Make sure you are renaming the INT wing and giving it a Superior Tactician commander, as well as renaming the GARs, and giving the GARs anti-partisan missions, and clicking the do not upgrade button on them. In late summer, we should get the Vienna Dictate:

3viennadictat.jpg

The Vienna Dictate is little more than a way to screw Romania over and give some of its land to Hungary (the Versailles Treaty at the end of World War I gave Transylvania to Romania, even though Hungary argued that the population was predominantly Hungarian). It really doesn't change things if you reject Hungary's demands, but just for historical flavor let's choose to force Romanian accpetance. This will also trigger an event wherein Bulgaria seizes the province of Constanta from the Romanians; those poor Romanians, they can't get a break!

Around the same time as the Vienna Dictate, we will get another MOT produced. We should also have researched the next MOT model by this time, so let's cancel the remainder of the MOT run and start a new run of 99x1 MOTs with the new model. Deploy all new panzer corps to the province of Zamosc, in Poland. Also, deploy new airbases to Memel.

In my game I discovered a couple of secret weapons in early fall:

4secretweapons.jpg

Again, these just make these techs available for research - we don't just automatically "get" the tech.

In October, we should get one more run of subs. Deploy those subs to our reserve fleet at Wilhelmshafen, and then cancel the rest of the submarine runs. We have plenty of subs to harass the Allies for a year or two, and in that time we need to be switching our naval focus to bigger and better ships. We will also get another run of an additional 6x INF. Deploy these to the Eastern Front, and then cancel the rest of the INF runs. We are short on manpower and IC, we already have a bunch of units to upgrade, and we are about to discover the next INF model, meaning we will have even more to upgrade.

After this last run of INFs, let's stage our forces for our invasion of the Soviet Union. For the last year we have been stacking fresh INFs all along the border with the Soviet Union; now, we will also add all those battle-hardened units we've been using to fight Poland, France, and Yugoslavia. To do this, we will strategically redeploy our forces from all over Europe to the following places:
  • Memel: Send Blomberg's corps, as well as one of the HQs, the CAV, and 11x additional INFs
  • Konigsberg: Send von Leeb's corps (and manually promote him to Field Marshal), as well as 9x additional INFs
  • Suwalki: Send von Kluge's corps (and manually promote him to Field Marshal), as well as 12x additional INFs and Guderian's panzer corps
  • Lomza: Send von Brausitsch's corps (and manually promote him to Field Marshal), as well as 7x additional INFs
  • Lublin: Send Rundstedt's corps, as well as 11x additional INFs
  • Zamosc: Send all remaining panzer corps (and manually promote von Manstein to Field Marshal), deploy all new panzer corps to this province, and send our other HQ, as well as 5x INFs
  • Przemysl: Send von Reichenau's corps (and manually promote him to Field Marshal), as well as 7x additional INFs

And don't forget the three MTN corps we have in Mikkeli and the two MTN corps in Helsinki, in Norway. Also, march all Expeditionary Forces from Bulgaria up to the northernmost province in Romania, to bolster defenses there. Leave the three INF corps guarding France and the one INF corps guarding Norway (and in fact, have that INF corps guarding Norway conduct an anti-partisan mission in Kristiansand, to help reduce the 2% partisan levels we might be seeing in Stavanger and Oslo).

At this point you may be wondering why we are staging our forces this way. Why all the INFs? And why stack all but one panzer corps in the south? The answer to this can be found if we click on the terrain mapmode and view the terrain in the Soviet Union. First, note the most immediate obstacle we will face: the Pripet Marshes, that line of provinces right in the middle of the front that all have swampy terrain. Bielsk, Pinsk, Luniniec, Mozyr, and Korosten will all be difficult to march through, and would impose heavy combat penalties on our ARMs if we tried to send our panzer corps through there. Now look north of the Pripet Marshes. Note all the forested provinces, and beyond those, more marshes. Northern Russia is a serious pain in the neck to fight in (and on top of that, most of their provinces have very low infrastructure, which slows us down even more).

Now look at the Ukraine, in the south. See all the open plains stretching before us? Our plan will be to unleash our panzers on these plains, where they can wreak maximum havoc, while our poor infantry have to slog through northern Russia. We put that one panzer corps in Suwalki because, once it breaks through the forested province of Grodno, it can follow the open plains in Lida, Bobraisk, and Zhlobin, and link up with panzers from Zamosc racing through Kowel, Tarnopol, Zhitomir, and Vyshgorod. Once they meet up, all Soviet forces in the Pripet Marshes will be encircled.

And that's really the name of the game here. We need to encircle and destroy as much of the Soviet army as we can early on. Their forces have higher morale than ours, so they will regain org much quicker. While we can thrust deep into Russia, we will eventually run out of org and will have to suspend the offensive to regain org. When we suspend the offensive, those Soviet forces that we saw on the front lines at the beginning of the invasion will be coming back to counterattack - unless we can encircle and destroy them early on. Besides the encirclement at the Pripet Marshes, we also want to try to encircle the Soviet forces on Romania's border by sending panzers slashing down to the Black Sea at Odessa. We will also want to try an encirclement in the north, but with the rotten terrain and plodding INF forces at our disposal, we don't have many opportunities. One thing we will try is to send our INFs straight up toward Leningrad, while pushing defeated enemies off toward the Baltic coast. Once we cut them off on the coast, we can reduce that pocket and destroy them.

In late November, we will get another 2x TACs produced. Put these in Warsaw with a "Luftflotte XI" name (we should be on our eleventh bombing wing, right?) and a Tank Buster commander. Around this same time, another ART and MOT will be produced. Attach the ART to that last MTN division that is still unbrigaded, send that MTN division up to Helsinki, and cancel the remaining ART run. Send the MOT to start VII. Panzerarmeekorps in Zamosc, attach a SP-ART, and appoint a talented Panzer Leader commander, such as Geyr von Schweppenburg. In mid-December, those 4x HQs that we were building should be finished. Put one in Rostock and ship it up to Helsinki. Put the rest in Konigsberg, Suwalki, and Lublin. Name them according to the "HQ 1. Armee" naming scheme, and appoint Old Guard Generals or Field Marshals. Shortly thereafter, another couple of INTs will be produced. Use these to round out the INT wing that only has two planes assigned to it, and then cancel the remainder of the INT runs.

Pause the game at midnight on 1 January 1941. Click on the - sign to move the slider toward Standing Army. Click on the Chief of Staff position, and appoint Alfred Jodl as our new Chief of Staff. We'll need his +20% organizational regain bonus more than we need +10% land speed.

6jodl.jpg

On 1 January, start a run of 99x serial run, 3x parallel run of GARs. We will need these as we advance into the Soviet Union, but for now, deploy them to Memel as they are produced. We cannot deploy units directly from the deployment queue to provinces that we have not yet annexed, so as we advance deeper into the Soviet Union we would have to deploy our GARs to a province we already own (such as Memel) and then strategically redeploy them to the Soviet interior. Also in January, transfer one of the INT wings from Cherbourg to Memel; also transfer the three TAC wings at Lille to Memel, and the three TAC wings at Paris to Warsaw.

7airmove.jpg

In mid-January we will start to see submarine fleets come back to Wilhelmshafen as their missions end. Trade out their damaged subs with fresh subs from our reserve fleet, and send them back out to conduct Convoy Raiding missions in the same places they were before.

We will also start to see our stockpile of rare materials run dangerously low. Don't be afraid to trade with our neighbors to get more; just keep a close eye on the "Trade Efficiency" percentage in the trade window. If we try to trade to places that our enemies can interdict (like Japan), we will see trade efficiency well below 100%. This means that although we will export the full amount of whatever we are giving our partner in the trade deal, but we will only receive that percentage of the resource we need in return. Countries with which we have a land connection will have 100% trade efficiency, so our European allies make great trade partners.

In February, another MOT is created, as the final division in our seventh panzer corps. We can hover over the ARM run and see that our next ARM will be ready in April, and that we will have another MOT ready in April as well. But we need one more MOT to round out an eighth and final panzer corps, and it won't be ready before we want to go to war with the Soviet Union (in May). So start another run (1x parallel and 1x serial) of MOT.

With all of the 1941 models of units that we have been researching, our IC requirements for Upgrades has been sky-high (over 1000 at one point, immediately after we researched Improved Infantry Division). Sometime in March, we will finally get a handle on it, as units get upgraded (and helped, in no small part I'm sure, by our cancelling so many of our production runs). We cancelled those runs for several reasons - first, we needed to upgrade the units we had, so the IC was needed there. Second, we were running low on manpower, and we need a reserve of manpower for reinforcements when we invade the Soviet Union. Third, the only thing we need units for right now is fighting the Soviet Union, and if we build additional units while we are deep within Russia, we won't be able to deploy them straight to the front line (we can only deploy them to a place we own, such as our national provinces or an annexed province that we have a land connection to). So those new units will end up being deployed to the middle of Poland, and having to march all the way to the front lines - and they would have zero org when they arrived. But the fourth and most compelling reason is, we need that IC to start building our surface ship navy, which we will do as soon as we research Ship Assembly Line.

Starting in April, switch over to the weather mapmode. See how most of Russia is frozen over? In April, those frozen provinces start to thaw, and the ice turns to mud. Mud is the worst thing that could possibly happen to our panzer corps, and they are pretty bad for regular INF as well - they slow it down incredibly, and impose large combat penalties. Keep the map on weather mode until you see the mud dry up and turn into "clear" weather. Beware of false alarms here - it may look like all of the mud is going away from the weather map, only to return in force a couple of days later. We will probably see the last of the mud in late-May. In my game, all of the mud was gone on 22 May.

8weather.jpg

While we're waiting for the mud to clear up, we'll get the last of the TACs we need to fill out our final bomber wing - cancel the TAC runs after they are produced. We will also get the 2x MOTs, 1x ARM, and 3x SP-ARTs we need for VIII. Panzerarmeekorps. Deploy it to Zamosc, appoint someone like Hoth to command, and cancel any remaining MOT, ARM, and SP-ART production runs. By mid-May, the only runs we should have going on should be that 99x airbase (which, by the way, we should still be deploying to Memel as they are created, at least until we get into Russia).

At the same time all of the mud disappeared on my map, I received one more event:

9hess.jpg

This historical event replaces our Head of Government, Rudolf Hess, with Martin Bormann. They both had the same traits, and gave us the same bonus, so it really doesn't mean much to us. We have more important things to worry about. In our next lesson, we launch Operation Barbarossa, the invasion of the Soviet Union, the largest invasion in the history of mankind, and the single funnest campaign that we will play on HoI2. What we do next, is what HoI2 is all about. It is the pinnacle of everything we have learned so far, and if we succeed, everything else afterward will seem anti-climactic. If we fail, we will go down in a thrilling blaze of glory.

Last edited:
Ironhead 5 said:
I might be wrong about HQ costing manpower. But they still suffer terrible strength losses, which are expensive on IC to restore. And what good are they in combat? They are utterly worthless. There is no value added to sending them into combat. Why risk seeing that HQ destroyed through loss of strength? They can just hang out in the rear until the forward province has been taken, and then they can move forward.
HQ's do cost manpower to reinforce but they do NOT suffer any combat damage in ground combat. They can only be damaged by aircraft. Having the HQ participate therefore spreads 'hits' onto a unit that is immune to damage and is not a bad thing to do.

Remble said:
HQ's do cost manpower to reinforce but they do NOT suffer any combat damage in ground combat. They can only be damaged by aircraft. Having the HQ participate therefore spreads 'hits' onto a unit that is immune to damage and is not a bad thing to do.
But if we're attacking a province with a field marshal, we can send a maximum of 24 divisions. Is it better to send 23x INF and 1x HQ, or is it better to send 24x INF? Consider also that the HQ is much faster than the INFs, and will arrive in the conquered province first, and will likely be counterattacked and routed out of the province - making it even longer before we can push that HQ forward.

Ironhead 5 said:
But if we're attacking a province with a field marshal, we can send a maximum of 24 divisions. Is it better to send 23x INF and 1x HQ, or is it better to send 24x INF? Consider also that the HQ is much faster than the INFs, and will arrive in the conquered province first, and will likely be counterattacked and routed out of the province - making it even longer before we can push that HQ forward.
For firepower you would use the 24 INF. I was just pointing out that HQ's don't take ground damage as it was commented on earlier and there didn't appear to be a clear answer. There are plenty of occasions where your command limit is not maxed out and sending the HQ in is not a problem and could even help.

The HQ won't arrive ahead of the INF if synchronised arrival is used.

The HQ is much faster correct. This means that it can easily catch up if it is routed.

I can even argue that having the HQ arrive first can be an advantage. But I won't :D

Remble said:
For firepower you would use the 24 INF. I was just pointing out that HQ's don't take ground damage as it was commented on earlier and there didn't appear to be a clear answer. There are plenty of occasions where your command limit is not maxed out and sending the HQ in is not a problem and could even help.
OK, fair enough. So far we haven't had to use the HQ in battle, due to command limits and whatnot, but that will likely change in Barbarossa, so I will mention there that we can use the HQ in battle.

Atleast Hess tried to make a peace. The current war with UK is non-existent and so useless. After all, they are in some way like the germans, germany conquers europe while britain conquer africa and india. Both are imperialistic and ruled by whites. :rolleyes: