• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I like to consider myself a seasoned HOI2 player and I still am finding out things that I didn't know. Your doing a really good job, Maybe Paradox will see this and ask for help with the HOI3 manual.

One thing that can make life easier for Germany is not to invade the Netherlands in '40. They are a good trading partner and can provide a lot of materials for your industry. Once Japan starts issuing its DOWs, they will automatically join the allies and will have to be taken care of though.

Trinitrotoluen said:
One thing that can make life easier for Germany is not to invade the Netherlands in '40. They are a good trading partner and can provide a lot of materials for your industry. Once Japan starts issuing its DOWs, they will automatically join the allies and will have to be taken care of though.
True. Especially if we don't ally with Japan (which we really don't need to, we just did it this game as a nod to history). But if we are allied with Japan, that DoW comes sooner or later, and there's only so many rares we can get out of the Netherlands before we roll up on Amsterdam and seize a shitload of rares from their stockpile.

Ironhead 5 said:
True. Especially if we don't ally with Japan (which we really don't need to, we just did it this game as a nod to history). But if we are allied with Japan, that DoW comes sooner or later, and there's only so many rares we can get out of the Netherlands before we roll up on Amsterdam and seize a shitload of rares from their stockpile.

The thing is that if you go through Belgium alone you can get bogged down as per WW1, especially if your Army is Infantry heavy.

Hey Capt,

When attacking Norway I also usually try to use Oslo as the Naval base for my transport fleet. Then I can use the Transports to haul three Div's up to Narvik and take it immediately instead of weeks of trekking thru the snow with my Mtn Div's....Might save a little time for your victorious troops.

KLorberau

KLorberau said:
When attacking Norway I also usually try to use Oslo as the Naval base for my transport fleet. Then I can use the Transports to haul three Div's up to Narvik and take it immediately instead of weeks of trekking thru the snow with my Mtn Div's....Might save a little time for your victorious troops.
You don't ever have trouble with the British navy attacking your transports? That's why I didn't transport them up to Narvik. I tried transporting them up to Narvik a few times a couple of years ago, and every time my transports would eventually end up getting attacked.

I'll edit the post to mention that possibility though.

Very nice work

However I have a question regarding GoI and supposed Interventionism shift (post 18 - lesson 2?).
In HoI2 (1.3) playing country in Europe I never get any shift when I give GoI to Nationalist China (they are DoWed by Guanxi and later by Japan).
Is it broken in HoI2 and works in DD only or countries have to share the same continent?

Last edited:
zdlugasz said:
Very nice work

However I have a question regarding GoI and supposed Interventionism shift (post 18 - lesson 2?).
In HoI2 (1.3) playing country in Europe I never get any shift when I give GoI to Nationalist China (they are DoWed by Guanxi and later by Japan).
Is it broken in HoI2 and works in DD only or countries have to share the same continent?
It only works if your capital is in the same continent as the capital of the country you are GoIing. So GoIing NatChina does nothing for Germany; GoIing Albania does.

"Gameyness" of GoIing Albania, or whoever, is subjective. Would Germany realistically GoI Albania against their friends, the Italians? (does Germany really need a GoI? They get so many Interventionist moves from events)

Re: GoI - as I supposed, in 1939 I usually stop paying attention to the slider moves since so many events change it (for majors).
However Allies my benefit a little from early Int. move.

Regarding lesson 3 and building, especially rocket facilities.
Are they really usefull when you have von Braun? (costwise, if you lack scientists with rocketry or they skill is very low they are usefull, but it probably means that you are playing minor and do not have IC for rocket facilities).
Maybe it is my error but playing Germany I never bother with building them.
1st build could be justified since it gives 6 days reduction, however next ones give 2 days reduction (according to the Research page on wiki for tech difficulty 8 and skill 8).
Together (in HoI2) there are about 18 (+2 in 1936 tech) rocketry components +1 in assembly line (unless the time reduction works for other components of rocketry technologies), which gives you for the whole game "gain" of more or less 6*20 research days day for the 1st stage and 2*20 = 40 days for each next.
And von Braun has skill level 9 plus you will have extra modifiers (most probably -20% and more) from Computing technologies thus the actual gain will be smaller than 120 or 40 days.
Rocket facility takes 40 IC by 180 days. Which means that you can have 8 factories instead of 2 rocket sites. Which means that by the end of 1941 you will get 5 years*8=40IC years (about 14.5k IC).

And if you care about research time in rocketry (you do not need with German teams) and want to have say level 2 site, let us see: first important need for rocket technology is about 41 or 42 (unless you need to build V1) when it is time for turbojet planes. Turbojet engine is 1939 tech but you can not use it in 39. So IMHO you could start developing rocketry technologies in 1940 and would lose nothing. Which means that you can build 2 runs of rocket facilities starting in the middle of 1939. Which means that those 8 factories build in 1936 already gave you 16-20 IC years of production, and they are staying giving you IC and TC bonus.

Edit: I have noticed that on your picture rocket site costs only 20IC (in Hoi2 it was 40) so the IC gain would be halved.
EDIT:EDIT(a lot of them): I forgot to take into account those "secret" techs, they have another 20 rocket components doubling any research time gain. So it looks that I might be wrong. Anyway those techs are 42-43 or later techs thus first years could be devoted to IC development and only later (39?,40,41) into rocket sites development.

Edit2: regarding Schacht and IC build 1st Jan 36.
IMO it is better to move troops into Cologne first - you will get Rheinland event which gives +Hawk and 5% production bonus (production time for factories). And in my games gearing bonus works for factories as well (it works in HoI2 1.3). And I usually move 2 times toward central planning in 36 and 37 to get IC bonus ASAP.

Edit 3 re edit2 : I forgot that in DD your cost and time are recalculated (in HoI2 it was only for AI troops and buildings)

Edit4: did you scrape those level 1 and 2 DDs and SS? They eat resources and when they will meet Allies they are dead meat.

Last edited:
Wow, I have finished reading - very extensive work.

However a question: was your decision to wait for spring caused by role-playing? I usually attack France in September 39 (though Belgium - Netherlands are left for October) and finish them in first half of October.
I finish war with Poland after a week as you did, then my Armor require about 1 week or little more to reach western borders (INF more, so they are assigned to attack Netherlands)
However it might require higher number of infantry than you did have, I probably produce more factories, start almost ANY upgrading in 39 and start INF production earlier.

(on normal on medium it is possible even to successfully execute Seeloewe in late October/Nov 39 - if you can bait British fleets of course - they lightly defend northern beaches and you can paradrop unguarded Cardiff).

EDIT: However I did attack FRA from Spain as well and captured Gibraltar at the beginning of war forcing English fleet to move around Africa.

Last edited:
zdlugasz said:
Regarding lesson 3 and building, especially rocket facilities.
Are they really usefull when you have von Braun? (costwise, if you lack scientists with rocketry or they skill is very low they are usefull, but it probably means that you are playing minor and do not have IC for rocket facilities).
Maybe it is my error but playing Germany I never bother with building them.
1st build could be justified since it gives 6 days reduction, however next ones give 2 days reduction (according to the Research page on wiki for tech difficulty 8 and skill 8).
Together (in HoI2) there are about 18 (+2 in 1936 tech) rocketry components +1 in assembly line (unless the time reduction works for other components of rocketry technologies), which gives you for the whole game "gain" of more or less 6*20 research days day for the 1st stage and 2*20 = 40 days for each next.
And von Braun has skill level 9 plus you will have extra modifiers (most probably -20% and more) from Computing technologies thus the actual gain will be smaller than 120 or 40 days.
Rocket facility takes 40 IC by 180 days. Which means that you can have 8 factories instead of 2 rocket sites. Which means that by the end of 1941 you will get 5 years*8=40IC years (about 14.5k IC).

And if you care about research time in rocketry (you do not need with German teams) and want to have say level 2 site, let us see: first important need for rocket technology is about 41 or 42 (unless you need to build V1) when it is time for turbojet planes. Turbojet engine is 1939 tech but you can not use it in 39. So IMHO you could start developing rocketry technologies in 1940 and would lose nothing. Which means that you can build 2 runs of rocket facilities starting in the middle of 1939. Which means that those 8 factories build in 1936 already gave you 16-20 IC years of production, and they are staying giving you IC and TC bonus.

Edit: I have noticed that on your picture rocket site costs only 20IC (in Hoi2 it was 40) so the IC gain would be halved.
You make a good argument for not buildng it. If conventional wisdom holds that more than one rocket site is countereffective, then I can edit lesson 3 to reflect that. Too easy... the floor is now open for anyone who wants to contest zdlugasz's argument.
zdlugasz said:
Edit4: why not to scrape those level 1 and 2 DDs and SS? They eat resources and when they will meet Allies they are dead meat.
Any DD is dead meat... they only exist to act as screen for our capital ships. Arguably, we could cancel those builds because the older DDs and the old sub have limited range, and thus limit our capital ships (whenever it is we put a surface fleet to sea). But they aren't terribly expensive, and they are all close to being completed. Instead of 500 IC-days (or whatever), it's less than a hundred.

And considering that even if they are dead meat they still make for an excellent picket line to screen Amphibious landings from the distance or to guard your own coast.

zdlugasz said:
Wow, I have finished reading - very extensive work.

However a question: was your decision to wait for spring caused by role-playing? I usually attack France in September 39 (though Belgium - Netherlands are left for October) and finish them in first half of October.
I finish war with Poland after a week as you did, then my Armor require about 1 week or little more to reach western borders (INF more, so they are assigned to attack Netherlands)
However it might require higher number of infantry than you did have, I probably produce more factories, start almost ANY upgrading in 39 and start INF production earlier.

(on normal on medium it is possible even to successfully execute Seeloewe in late October/Nov 39 - if you can bait British fleets of course - they lightly defend northern beaches and you can paradrop unguarded Cardiff).

EDIT: However I did attack FRA from Spain as well and captured Gibraltar at the beginning of war forcing English fleet to move around Africa.
All valid strategies. When I am playing "for real," I usually conquer Poland in early September, then Benelux and France in October, Spain and Portugal in December, Vichy France, Switzerland, Scandinavia and Italy in January, Balkans in February and March, and then redeploy in time to attack Soviet Union in May.

Or, an even better strategy is to attack all these countries, including Poland, starting in January 1936. Germany has a more powerful starting army than its neighbors.

But for this AAR, I wanted to take things easy, and go slow, and largely historical.

Ironhead 5 said:
"Gameyness" of GoIing Albania, or whoever, is subjective. Would Germany realistically GoI Albania against their friends, the Italians? (does Germany really need a GoI? They get so many Interventionist moves from events)

You get full hawk and interventionism from events, so you don't really need the GoIs as Germany if you plan for a September '39 war.

why you don't let the HQ to partecipate in a fight? :confused:
The HQ is very useful because it doubles the command limit, so less units will get the "-75% over command max" penalty.

Immediately after the fall of France, the complexity of the game picks up (as if the game wasn't complex enough to begin with, right?). We will have to skirmish with Great Britain in the skies, while harassing them at sea with our subs, while planning and conducting campaigns in the East. Note that this lesson doesn't go in strict chronological order, so be sure to read through the whole thing before unpausing your game.

Before we begin, take a look at your resource stockpiles. Although we are still running a deficit for most resources, we have greatly increased stockpiles now. This is because when we overran enemy capitals (Luxembourg, Brussels, Amsterdam, and Paris) we got a substantial fraction of their resources. We won't have to worry about rare materials anymore, and oil shouldn't be a problem for quite a while.

First, while the game is still paused, cancel any remaining movement from our armies in France. Next, start a run of 11x parallel GARs and 3x POL. We had a run of GARs being produced for Norway, but we also have 2% partisan activity in Denmark and France. Because its only 2%, we don't need a GAR in every province (like we need in Norway). If we put a GAR in one province, its effect will spill over into all adjacent provinces. The 3x POL will be needed for Norway - some of the northern provinces are only adjacent to two other provinces, and thus get a reduced spillover effect (in my game, Finland took the northeastern most Norwegian province, and so I only have to garrison up to Hammerfest; any provinces Finland didn't take you will have to garrison, so you may need a fourth POL). When the run of 15x GARs that we had started for Norway is produced, divert most of them to France and Denmark. Deploy a GAR to Bordeaux, Lorient, Le Mans, Caen, Troyes, Calais, Mons, Bastogne, Eindhoven, Leeuwarden, Arhus, and Odense. Put the other three in Rostock, and then load them up into our transports and ship them to Oslo. After they arrive in Oslo, they will need 24 hours to recover; after this 24 hours is up, strategically redeploy one to Stavenger, one to Bergen, and one to Alesund. As your GARs arrive at their final locations in France, Denmark, and Norway, rename them according to our naming scheme of "Garrison (province name)" and click the Do Not Upgrade button.

Note that the partisan activity in France and Denmark is so low that we could have garrisoned these provinces with CAV or even INF divisions. The reason we built GAR for these provinces is this: first, we only have one CAV, and building additional CAVs is more expensive (both in IC and manpower) than building GARs; second, any additional INFs that we have really should be used against the Soviet Union when we invade them, so they would be inefficiently used as GARs. Also note that since the GAR suppression value is so high, we only have to garrison a few provinces - the ones I listed above are centrally located and touch as many other provinces as possible.

We will also want to station a few INF corps in France, just in case the Allies try to invade. Note that amphibious assaults can only be conducted against provinces with beaches. If you click on coastal provinces, some will have a picture of a beach in the province interface window, next to the list of province improvements (there is also a small beach symbol on the large map, indicating which sea province the beach borders). Although we have GARs covering a few of the beaches, GARs are poor at defense (even considering the huge combat penalty that invaders suffer when conducting amphibious assaults) and the GARs are likely to be defeated. When a GAR is defeated, it doesn't retreat, like a normal division - it is destroyed. This is bad! That is why we want strong INF corps, which are also somewhat mobile, to defend France. So select three INF corps with Defensive Doctrine commanders. Send one to Bordeaux, to cover the southern beaches of France; send another to Brest, to cover the north and west; and send the last to Amsterdam, to cover the Low Countries. If an invasion comes anywhere else (such as the historical location, Caen), we can move the nearest INF corps there to defend.

We also need to move our air units forward, to protect the skies over France and to threaten England with a punishing aerial blitz. Select each air unit in turn that we had positioned in western Germany for our invasion of France; move an INT wing each to Brest, Lille, Brussels, and Amsterdam, and send the 2x INT wings to Cherbourg. Send one CAS wing to Brest and the other two to Cherbourg. Send 3x TAC wings to Lille and 3x TAC wings to Paris (we split up the TACs amongst these two large airfields because the number of air units an airfield can accomodate is linked to the size of the airfield; overload an airfield with too many air units, and they will recover org and strength much slower).

1airorders.jpg

While we're at it, go ahead and move the TAC at Warsaw to Vienna, to support our upcoming invasion of Yugoslavia. Also, we can deploy all those airbases that we have saved up in our deployment pool - bring the airbase at Cherbourg up to a level 10 airbase, and spend the remainder on growing the airbase at Brussels.

It won't take long for these air units to arrive, but when they do they will have greatly reduced org. Give the INT wings at Brest, Lille, Brussels, and Amsterdam, and one of the INT wings at Cherbourg, Air Superiority missions for the areas their airfields are in. Make the mission end date January 1942. Although they have reduced org, they will still slowly regain org during the night when they aren't flying, and they can still fight and defeat most of the sorties the Allies will try flying over France. The other air wings will need a couple of weeks to regain their org.

Highlight the INF corps at Saarbrucken, Stuttgart, and Freiburg, and detach any brigades that these divisions had. As soon as the brigade is detached, it will appear in the deployment queue. Go to the deployment queue, and click the X next to each AA, ENG, and AT brigade to disband them (all ART brigades should have already been reasigned to MTN divisions). It might seem like a waste to disband perfectly good brigades, but we really have no more use for these brigades, and at this point we need the manpower they provide a whole lot more than the marginal benefit the brigade provides.

4disbandbrigade.jpg

Next, click on, in turn, all five panzer corps, Rundstedt's INF corps, and two additional INF corps, and strategically redeploy these to Graz (in the former Austria, on the Yugoslavian border). Click on one HQ, Blomberg's INF corps, and an additional nine INF corps, and strategically redeploy these to Klagenfurt. Then click on two additional INF corps and strategically redeploy these to Innsbruck. You can keep the remaining forces where they're at in France for now. However, let's send all those Expeditionary Forces that our smaller allies kept sending us, and position those in Sofia and Gorna Dzhumaya so that they are poised for a quick strike into Yugoslavia.

After we unpause, we should get three events pretty quickly.

2maginot.jpg

The return of Vichy provinces is similar to the return of Eastern Polish provinces from our invasion of Poland. We have an agreement with the Vichy government, and part of that agreement is that they get to retain provinces in the central and southeastern parts of the country. If we had taken any of these, they will get it back. The destruction of the Maginot Line reduces the fortification level in Metz, Strasbourg, and Mulhouse; this is done for game balancing purposes, so that Germany cannot use those same fortifications to defend from an Allied invasion of France and Germany (hopefully, the Allies will never set foot in France anyway). The final event, the Tripartite Pact, establishes spheres of influence for Germany, Japan, and Italy. Select Seek agreement with Italy and Japan. Whether or not they sign the pact, we can still ally with them. If we aren't yet allied with Japan, go ahead and ask them to join the Axis powers; do the same with Italy as well. Both should have percentages of succes in the high 80s or low 90s.

Speaking of diplomatic actions, Nationalist China or one of the other small countries that Japan is fighting may occasionally propose a peace settlement to us. They are doing this because Japan is in the Axis alliance, and we are the leaders of that alliance. We can choose to make peace with Nationalist China on Japan's behalf. Doing so may actually help Japan - especially if they are struggling in their fight against the United States, or if we want them to focus their efforts elesewhere. And Japan gets a lot of territory in the proposed deal! However, it is ahistorical, so we will select No for now.

Let a couple of weeks go by. Even after our forces arrive in Graz, Klagenfurt, and Innsbruck, they will have low org and will need another couple of weeks to recover their org before we go to war with Yugoslavia. However, we can get started on our aerial blitz of England.

There are five missions that we need to do to seize control of the skies over England. First, select that second INT wing in Cherbourg, and give it an Air Superiority mission over East England. This will fight any defending fighters in the air and pave the way for our bombers.

Next, click on one of the TAC wings in Lille. Give it a Runway Cratering mission for Norwich. Runway cratering will quickly (but temporarily) reduce the size of the airfield in the province, meaning that after our INT damages the defending fighter units, they will need a much longer time to get repaired. Note that Runway Cratering missions are for individual provinces, so we will need to change this mission to damage the airbases at Dover and Portsmouth as well, waiting about a week between changing provinces. Also, England has other airbases further north from which they can base their planes; but these airbases are further away, and thus bombers from these airbases cannot reach as deep into continental Europe.

Next, click on another TAC wing at Lille. Give it an Installation Strike mission for East England. Installation Strikes target the enemies province improvements, including (importantly) their anti-aircraft guns. This is the next step in paving the way for our bombers to hammer poor, defenseless England.

Click on the final wing at Lille, and give it a Logistical Strike mission for East England. Logistical Strikes target the infrastructure of the province. Why would we target this? Because the rate at which airbases, and AA guns, and anything else in that province is rebuilt is based on the provinces infrastructure level. Reduce it to zero, and everything in that province will take FOREVER to rebuild.

Now for the coup de grace. Give all three TAC wings based at Paris Strategic Bombardment missions for East England. Strategic Bombardment destroys factories and reduces resource collection in that province. After a few weeks of this, United Kingdom's IC will plummet, and they will struggle to keep pace with us. They will be essentially unable to launch any sort of offensive action against us.

While we're at it, let's give the three CAS wings (one at Brest, two at Cherbourg) orders for Naval Strike over the English Channel. Our navy cannot compete with the British navy, but our CAS should be able to hammer any enemy ships that try to traverse the Channel.

3airorders.jpg

Our aerial blitz of England sounds almost too good to be true, doesn't it? In a way, it sort of is. Let me explain a few caveats. First, the way we have our message settings configured, we get a pop-up every time we bomb a province. With this blitz, we will be getting a dozen pop-ups everyday. To turn off a pop-up for a certain action, simply right-click on the pop-up when it appears, and you can change the message setting directly from there for that type of event (as opposed to going through the Menu Options). If you do not want the pop-up and pause, I recommend the second option - recording it in the game log. I do not recommend choosing pop-up without a pause, because then your screen will get cluttered with pop-ups and the game won't stop to allow you to sort through them. I also do not recommend choosing no record in the game log. It doesn't hurt to record the event in the game log, and it makes the information freely available if you want to research it later.

The second caveat is this - our blitz will also be very expensive for us. Having so many planes operating at the same time will guzzle oil. Furthermore, we will inevitably sustain some damage to our planes, either through AA fire or through enemy fighters (there will be planes from UK, USA, Free France, and every little minor Allied nation, and our INTs won't be able to catch them every time). Expect to see our IC requirements for Reinforcements skyrocket. Even after the invasion of France, the highest it ever got was around 50, right? During the blitz of England, it will shoot way above 100, and stay there until we suspend the blitz and give our planes time to recover.

So is it worth it to conduct this blitz? Possibly not. This is a decision that you can make based on how your game is progressing. Note that we still have yet to upgrade all of our INTs, and we will research the next TAC model soon as well, so we could be spending that IC on upgrading our planes. Also, we are beginning to run low on supplies, so we have to divert IC to cover our requirements for supplies as well (which is sky-high, with all the INF divisions we've been churning out). And since our planes start out by attacking the weakest provinces first, they will go from Norwich, to Dover, to Portsmouth, before they finally target London. But if you can afford it, you can quickly hammer England:

6londonblitz.jpg

London has gone from 14 factories, to zero, and with all of their IC modifiers this reduces UK by nearly 20 IC. Twenty IC, times however many days we can keep up the assault, equals a lot of industrial power that UK cannot use. How many tanks, or infantry divisions, or battleships, or strategic bombers, could UK have produced with that IC?

Sometime in mid-May, that lone MTN division that we transported up to Oslo to join its MTN corps will be arriving in Narvik. Combine it with the MTN corps that has only two divisions in it, to create a 3x MTN corps, then send all three MTN corps to Mikkeli, in Finland. We are positioning these for an offensive against Leningrad when we go to war with the Soviet Union. We've still got a single INF corps in Kristiansand, and we will keep it in southern Norway to defend against any Allied efforts to land in Norway.

At the end of May, start a run of 4x parallel run HQs. These are expensive, and we are creating them at a time when we sorely need that IC elsewhere. However, we need more HQs for our invasion of the Soviet Union nex year, and HQs take so long to build that if we don't start them now they may not be ready in time for our invasion.

Around this time, in my game, a semi-random event fired:

7electroniccomps.jpg

This enables us to start researching the next model of computers, which gives us a research bonus. The new computer techs aren't in the industrial tab of the Technology folder; it is actually found under Secret Weapons.

Sometime in mid-June, our forces in Southern Austria should have recovered enough org to fight again. Go to the Diplomacy folder and declare war on Yugoslavia. Change the game speed to Normal and let the hours tick by until it is 03:00. Pause the game. Click on the 2x INF corps in Innsbruck, and give them orders to attack Ljubljana, and then march onwards to Split. Click on the 5x panzer corps and 3x INF corps in Graz, and give them orders to attack Maribor, and march through Osijek and Zrenjanin. Highlight the stack at Klagenfurt, and give 2x INF corps orders to attack Maribor, and then onward to Sarajevo; give the other corps (except the HQ unit) orders to attack Ljubljana, and then march through Zagreb and Banja Luka, before wheeling south toward Split. Highlight the Expeditionary Forces in Sofia and Gorna Dzhumaya, and order them to attack Stip and march onward to Skopje. Finally, give the TAC wing in Vienna orders to Interdict northern Yugoslavia.

8yugobattleplan.jpg

If you click on the VP mapmode, you will see that Yugoslavia only has a few VPs. The difficult ones to get are Split, Sarajevo, Belgrade, and Skopje. Blomberg's INF armies will be able to take Split; our panzers can take Belgrade, while Rundstedt can always divert to take Sarajevo if necessary. Those Expeditionary Forces, combined with Italian units in Tirana, should be able to grab Skopje. Yugoslavia isn't too difficult, and we are bringing overwhelming force to bear on them. Nevertheless, we will have to react to changes in the battlefield. You may find that the forces from Innsbruck cannot reach Split, and you have to divert Blomberg early; or you may need to send a panzer corps to grab Sarajevo is Rundstedt slows down. This is an opportunity to demonstrate what you've learned from fighting in Poland and France. How quickly can you take Yugoslavia? Remember that you don't need every province - just the VP ones.

Let the game run, and make the decisions necessary to quickly seize all VP provinces. After you have them all, go the Diplomacy folder and annex Yugoslavia. Go back to the View Map folder. Even though we had conquered most of Yugoslavia, we didn't get all of its provinces. See how Novi Sad went to Hungary, Stip and Skopje went to Bulgaria, and the entire Adriatic coast went to Italy? That is because they are our allies, and they had claims on these lands. These provinces were part of our allies "core" or "national" provinces, so they automatically get them. Don't fret about it - this is a good thing! Our allies will have zero partisan activity in these lands, plus they will get full manpower, resources, and IC from these provinces. It is also less provinces that we have to station GARs in.

9conqueryugo.jpg

Speaking of which, hold off on building GARs for Yugoslavia just yet. We really do't have the IC to spare right now, and besides, we will get an event that liberates Croatia soon. Also, our manpower is running dangerously low. After the next round of 12x INF is created, position these INFs along the Eastern Front, and then cancel six of the twelve INF runs. This will free up some IC, and also take some pressure off of our manpower pool, We should have close to 200 INF divisions by now, and we will get a few more before we go to war with the Soviet Union. Between those INFs, plus the MTNs and panzer corps, we should have enough to succeed on the Russian steppes.

We will also get the first MOT for our sixth panzer corps. Go ahead and put this MOT in Zamosc, in Poland. Assign a SP-ART brigade to it, and give it a Panzer Leader commander (Model and Geyr von Schweppenburg are both good choices). When the next round of GARs and 3x POLs get created, assign the GARs to Rostock, attach POLs to three of them, and ship them up to Oslo. When they arrive, send the brigaded GARs to the northernmost Norwegian provinces, and use the rest to garrison the rest of southern Norway. After the next round of TACs is created, cancel the TAC run and start a new run with the new model of TAC. Attach the TACs to the TAC wing that we had in Vienna. Also, finally, let's give ourselves some IC breathing room. Go to the Automated IC management tool, and de-prioritize Upgrades. That will prevent our supplies from getting too low.

99wargreece.jpg

The day after we annexed Yugoslavia, our Italian allies declared war on Greece (which they did historically, and is written into the Italian AI). There's just no rest for the weary! Next lesson, we help Italy take out Greece.

Mico94 said:
why you don't let the HQ to partecipate in a fight? :confused:
The HQ is very useful because it doubles the command limit, so less units will get the "-75% over command max" penalty.
The HQ unit doesn't need to participate in the combat to get that bonus - it just needs to be in an adjacent province.* So our HQs stay safely in the province while the combat divisions move forward and engage in combat. When they do engage in combat, they tend to suffer grievous strength losses, which are hard on our manpower pool to reinforce.

Note that after we conquer a province, we move our HQ forward (safely) and have it waiting in the forward province as our divisions continue the attack deeper in the enemy territory.

*and note that by "adjacent province" I mean adjacent to the province that the units are attacking from, not necessarily attacking to. So a HQ in Arlon gives its bonuses - including double attack limit - to units in Reims, even if those units are attacking Troyes (which Arlon is not adjacent to).

Ironhead 5 said:
The HQ unit doesn't need to participate in the combat to get that bonus - it just needs to be in an adjacent province.* So our HQs stay safely in the province while the combat divisions move forward and engage in combat. When they do engage in combat, they tend to suffer grievous strength losses, which are hard on our manpower pool to reinforce.

Note that after we conquer a province, we move our HQ forward (safely) and have it waiting in the forward province as our divisions continue the attack deeper in the enemy territory.

*and note that by "adjacent province" I mean adjacent to the province that the units are attacking from, not necessarily attacking to. So a HQ in Arlon gives its bonuses - including double attack limit - to units in Reims, even if those units are attacking Troyes (which Arlon is not adjacent to).

I remember Kanitatilan saying that HQs to not cost MP to reinforce, and thus can be used in pretty much any attack.

I'm a newb that's been playing for a while, and I was never able to do much in the game. After reading this the game just seemed to click, and now I'm actually doing very well. As Germany I've annexed France, the UK, a few of their puppets, and have started rolling into the USSR. I've never been able to do that or even get close to doing that.

I guess I just want to say thanks, this really does help. :D