How SHOULD the AI try to wage war?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Liggi

Lt. General
80 Badges
Mar 28, 2017
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • BATTLETECH
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Victoria 2
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
In my last game, I spent some time wondering during wars exactly what the most effective strategy is for winning, and what my "objectives" were in descending order of importance. I think often I have a straightforward idea of "kill all their starbases, invade all their worlds, smash all their fleets", but obviously there's more going on below the surface when I'm actually executing this plan.

So, I wanted to open a discussion about (at a high-level), what the AI's objectives should be when waging war against an enemy?

Some suggestions:
  • Occupy the core worlds - core worlds are generally the most valuable in terms of resource production, so this will cripple them the most.
    • (Alternative) Bombard their core worlds into oblivion / Use your Colossus to destroy their core worlds
  • Capture and hold valuable choke points to hinder enemy's ability to move around
  • If you're stronger than them in fleet power, attempt to engage and smash their fleets as much as possible, grind them down
    • If they are stronger than you, try to lure fleets away from important targets, use hit and run tactics (I'm not sure how effective this is currently), try to attack multiple targets at once to force them to divide their attention
I don't think the AI currently has much of a plan resembling any of this, but I thought it could provide a basis for some sort of general purpose AI strategy.

Does anyone have anything to add?

Try to achieve local supremacy aka doomstack.

If our fleet are superior to enemy then try to force decisive battle aka kill all their fleet then destroy all their shipyard or even all their starbase.

Once that achieved we can pick anyhing as our leisure.

But if our fleet are inferior then fallback to choke point, preferably the choke point had been fortified in everything, starbase module, defence platform, etc.

Meanwhile kicking up our fleet production to surpass their firepower.

As long as we can not surpass them we will waiting in our fortified choke point, the moment we surpass them, switch our plan to offensive aka the first plan.

Alternatively if our economy isn't robust enough to attempt that then sitting on choke point and waiting to status quo out is recommended.

Don't know if it will be easy to implement this to ai though.

Another related question is how the Fallen Empires should wage war. I've noticed that they are REALLY bad at the War in Heaven.

If I was a FE, I'd probably do something like... focus on my most powerful neighbours first. I'd keep the bulk of my forces in my own territory to protect it, and I'd send small recon forces out to try to capture systems near the enemy's core worlds, then I'd build a Gateway, allowing me to project influence there.

I'd definitely like to see the War in Heaven given a Custodian pass at some point!

Last edited:
Reactions: