• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
not 60 ... they make 1000 dlc and so a game over 40€would not be fair also i usualy never buy a game more expensive then 40 ... no game is worth 60 ...
also i think i would pay 0 cause i dont like vichy ^^

If it's going to be like "HoI4", I mean simplified "grand strategy" with drawing lines for combat, some cute graphics and non-sense AI, I won't play it.

But if it will be a lot more than original Vicky, then I can go up to 50$

It depends. While I love the vicky 2 era, (closet general), I would like to see something huge, meiou and taxes 2 style, and really dwelve into it BIG. I doubt paradox would either give the time Vicky 3 truly deserves and just make another hoi4 were things need revamping and lot of missing features, and poor core mechanics + lag. I'd easily pay 100 Dollars, (I'd pay that for any game that truly moves me, because they deserve it), but I doubt paradox would ever make such an undertaking. I would also want a completely new engine, not just to fix the chronic lag in paradox games but to make a much stronger and god like engine. Vicky 2 got a new engine, and if vicky 3 were to be a successor, then it deserves that much. I just want a really strong "CORE" game, aka, not so much LAG, relatively well thought out basic mechanics, Light scripting for easy compatibility with other mods. Vicky2, while a good idea, had a lot of simplifications, like the economy and how industry worked. Russia for example feels very static, because there is no way for the human player to change the course of gameplay other than conquer neighbours. The game itself is very static and pops work with National focuses which make relatively little sense. Russia failed to industrialize because of bad infrastructure, serfdom which caused bad farming efficiency; which prevented a food surplus needed for industrial expansion, and bad literacy; but also conservative views among peasants and nobility. In vicky2, you can get farm efficiency and industry, but you can't employ people because they can't read. You don't need to be able to read to perform a simple un-cognitive task (of course reading would improve efficiency, but not necessarily lower the work force). I agree that industries in russia would be "weak", but why is there no way for the player other than improving literacy and NF to increase your work force? Swedes could read, but they were slow with industrialization aswell because of lacking capital and small food surplus, not because they couldn't read. I am fine with modifiers for that stuff, and I'd rather have modders fix it though.

Last edited:
I would pay $59.99 MAX. Any more and I would wait for an expansion or two. That is assuming they don't do the three tier preorders. That drives me crazy. I don't particularly care for the wallpapers and art books, if they want to add in a cosmetic DLC for a preorder bonus i have no problem(so long as it is releas erto everyone in a year or two), but when they add in needless stuff and make you pay for a bunch of said stuff you don't need it annoys me. It could cost slightly less if they did not include that. I also would really be happy if they made Vicky 3 so then we could have a complete play-through, CK II to HOI IV. I feel like despite what modders have done, Vicky 2 is the weakest link when it comes to trying to do that play through.

It depends. While I love the vicky 2 era, (closet general), I would like to see something huge, meiou and taxes 2 style, and really dwelve into it BIG. I doubt paradox would either give the time Vicky 3 truly deserves and just make another hoi4 were things need revamping and lot of missing features, and poor core mechanics + lag. I'd easily pay 100 Dollars, (I'd pay that for any game that truly moves me, because they deserve it), but I doubt paradox would ever make such an undertaking. I would also want a completely new engine, not just to fix the chronic lag in paradox games but to make a much stronger and god like engine. Vicky 2 got a new engine, and if vicky 3 were to be a successor, then it deserves that much. I just want a really strong "CORE" game, aka, not so much LAG, relatively well thought out basic mechanics, Light scripting for easy compatibility with other mods. Vicky2, while a good idea, had a lot of simplifications, like the economy and how industry worked. Russia for example feels very static, because there is no way for the human player to change the course of gameplay other than conquer neighbours. The game itself is very static and pops work with National focuses which make relatively little sense. Russia failed to industrialize because of bad infrastructure, serfdom which caused bad farming efficiency; which prevented a food surplus needed for industrial expansion, and bad literacy; but also conservative views among peasants and nobility. In vicky2, you can get farm efficiency and industry, but you can't employ people because they can't read. You don't need to be able to read to perform a simple un-cognitive task (of course reading would improve efficiency, but not necessarily lower the work force). I agree that industries in russia would be "weak", but why is there no way for the player other than improving literacy and NF to increase your work force? Swedes could read, but they were slow with industrialization aswell because of lacking capital and small food surplus, not because they couldn't read. I am fine with modifiers for that stuff, and I'd rather have modders fix it though.

At this point they should AT LEAST be inspired by Meiou and Taxers and make the best game combining elements from HOI Warfare and EUIV while detailing the economic and dynamic aspects of the game.
And make it MODDABLE.

Next Victoria would cost probably 40-50$. I could spend no more than 20$, so i prefer to wait for discount and the bugs fixing. I'm aware PDS won't change their DLC Policy, and i won't buy Victoria III in less than 2-3 years after release.

I'd probably get about 1000 hours out of Vicky3, judging from its predecessors. That would be worth at least 200 bucks. Realistically though, I'd happily pay 50 bucks for the main game plus whatever they charge for non-cosmetic expansions (won't ever buy sprites, music...).

Have my bank card!!

I would pay buckets of ducats.
I'm bored at work, so I did some bad math with totally arbitrary assumptions.

Since we're talking about Vicky it's safe to assume we want ducats from the time period! Let's go with the 1836 ducat minted for the coronation of Ferdinand I of Austria, I guess that's a good place to start:

ducat.jpg

According to CoinArchives.com last year a coin like this one was auctioned off for EUR 850, significantly more than the melt value of approximately USD 140 (the coin weighs 3.5 grams and is 0.9860 pure).

Now, please somebody correct me if I get this part wrong, but I couldn't fine this coins dimensions, but think the Austrian ducat was 19.5 mm in diameter. Gold's density at room temperature is about 19.3 g/cm3 , the surface area is (d/2)^2*pi = 2.9865 cm2 so the thickness would be mass/(density*area) = 3.5/(19.3*2.9865) = 0.0607 cm. Pretty thin (half that of a US nickel) but not that uncommon for Austrian pure gold coins apparently.

Let's go to the bucket part. Now I might go the easy route and just assume a common modern bucket, but I'm still bored, so let's find a 19th century, Victorian bucket!

After some googling I've found an antique store which carries this:

bucket.jpg
Technically it's a coal bin, but it's copper-bound oak and looks fantastic! The store lists a height of 342.9 mm and width od 304.8 mm as well as a price of GBP 160 (in case we include the bucket with the ducats as part of payment).

How many ducats fit in a bucket? Glad you asked!

I'm going to do a few simplifications here, but feel free to model a more perfect bucket yourself and see how your calculations differ from mine :) First of all: I'll assume a perfect cylindrical shape of the bucket, with the width being the external diameter of our awesome-looking vessel. We do not know what the internal diameter is, but that's fine - I'll leave it for now, we'll get back to this later.

The most ducats we can get in a line flat on the bottom of our bucket is 15 - they would form a 292.5mm line so a 16th one would be outside the bucket. That leaves us 12.3mm for the total width of both walls so a 6.15mm thick wall... yeah, let's say that's reasonable, our bucket has precisely 6.15mm walls!

I'm going to use a cool tool that tells me that with those parametres I can fit 172 ducats at the bottom of my bucket, like this:

circles.png
Well, the optimal way to place as many ducats in a bucket as possible is to melt them down - we'll tackle that problem in the end. Let's just handle unmelted ducats here and see what we can do with my limited knowledge of geometry and tools at my disposal.

The first layer of ducats is only 0.607mm thick as we established earlier. If the bottom of our bucket is as thick as the walls then we have 336.75 mm of bucket to fill, which gives us about 555 layers (rounded slightly up, so watch out not to spill ducats!) or 95,460 ducats! Wow!

Our ducats weigh 334.11 kg now, which is about as much as a large calf hitting puberty, so assuming the bucket somehow doesn't fall apart let's take it to auction and we get EUR 81,141,000 or about USD 90,126,960 (plus USD 208 for the bucket).

That's a hefty sum for a bucket of ducats, but the economist in me says that we're flooding a rare-commodity market with more product than feasible to keep prices high (and quite probably with more Ferdinand I coronation ducats than there were minted). Besides there's all that empty space in the bucket. Let's just get all the ducats we can find lying around, and melt them, fill our bucket and sell as gold! Will we get more than selling vintage coins?

With an internal diameter of 292.5 mm and a height of 336.75 mm (no spilling this time!) of our perfectly cylindrical, heat and pressure resistant Victorian bucket we'll get a volume of 22,628,159.25 mm3 or 22628.15925 cm3 (22.63 litres, about six gallons). Using the gold density listed above and price of $40 per gram we get 436,723.5 grams (436.7 kilograms so about as much as a grand piano) which we could sell for only USD 17,468,938.94.

Fun fact - Paradox Interactive is a listed company on NASDAQ. At 105,600,000 shares which are traded for SEK 71.25 as of today, to purchase the company you'd need SEK
7,524,000,000 or USD 856,839,891.60 but to buy 50% of shares +1 only USD 428,361,642.88.

So to buy a controlling share in PDX you'd need about 42 buckets of ducats unmelted or 216 of melted ducats (and I included the price of buckets for you). Which by the way means that PDX is worth 94,048.89 kg of gold.

Then OP you'd be able to literally buy Vicky3 with buckets of ducats!

EDIT: I forgot about the fact that metals expand when heated. So the density of liquid ducats will be lowered and the number of buckets needed to buy Vicky increased. Will amend post in spare time.

Last edited:

Since we're talking about Vicky it's safe to assume we want ducats from the time period! Let's go with the 1836 ducat minted for the coronation of Ferdinand I of Austria, I guess that's a good place to start:

View attachment 266332

According to CoinArchives.com last year a coin like this one was auctioned off for EUR 850, significantly more than the melt value of approximately USD 140 (the coin weighs 3.5 grams and is 0.9860 pure).

Now, please somebody correct me if I get this part wrong, but I couldn't fine this coins dimensions, but think the Austrian ducat was 19.5 mm in diameter. Gold's density at room temperature is about 19.3 g/cm3 , the surface area is (d/2)^2*pi = 2.9865 cm2 so the thickness would be mass/(density*area) = 3.5/(19.3*2.9865) = 0.0607 cm. Pretty thin (half that of a US nickel) but not that uncommon for Austrian pure gold coins apparently.

Let's go to the bucket part. Now I might go the easy route and just assume a common modern bucket, but I'm still bored, so let's find a 19th century, Victorian bucket!

View attachment 266333
Technically it's a coal bin, but it's copper-bound oak and looks fantastic! The store lists a height of 342.9 mm and width od 304.8 mm as well as a price of GBP 160 (in case we include the bucket with the ducats as part of payment).

I'm going to do a few simplifications here, but feel free to model a more perfect bucket yourself and see how your calculations differ from mine :) First of all: I'll assume a perfect cylindrical shape of the bucket, with the width being the external diameter of our awesome-looking vessel. We do not know what the internal diameter is, but that's fine - I'll leave it for now, we'll get back to this later.

The most ducats we can get in a line flat on the bottom of our bucket is 15 - they would form a 292.5mm line so a 16th one would be outside the bucket. That leaves us 12.3mm for the total width of both walls so a 6.15mm thick wall... yeah, let's say that's reasonable, our bucket has precisely 6.15mm walls!

I'm going to use a cool tool that tells me that with those parametres I can fit 172 ducats at the bottom of my bucket, like this:

View attachment 266342
Well, the optimal way to place as many ducats in a bucket as possible is to melt them down - we'll tackle that problem in the end. Let's just handle unmelted ducats here and see what we can do with my limited knowledge of geometry and tools at my disposal.

The first layer of ducats is only 0.607mm thick as we established earlier. If the bottom of our bucket is as thick as the walls then we have 336.75 mm of bucket to fill, which gives us about 555 layers (rounded slightly up, so watch out not to spill ducats!) or 95,460 ducats! Wow!

Our ducats weigh 334.11 kg now, which is about as much as a large calf hitting puberty, so assuming the bucket somehow doesn't fall apart let's take it to auction and we get EUR 81,141,000 or about USD 90,126,960 (plus USD 208 for the bucket).

That's a hefty sum for a bucket of ducats, but the economist in me says that we're flooding a rare-commodity market with more product than feasible to keep prices high (and quite probably with more Ferdinand I coronation ducats than there were minted). Besides there's all that empty space in the bucket. Let's just get all the ducats we can find lying around, and melt them, fill our bucket and sell as gold! Will we get more than selling vintage coins?

With an internal diameter of 292.5 mm and a height of 336.75 mm (no spilling this time!) of our perfectly cylindrical, heat and pressure resistant Victorian bucket we'll get a volume of 22,628,159.25 mm3 or 22628.15925 cm3 (22.63 litres, about six gallons). Using the gold density listed above and price of $40 per gram we get 436,723.5 grams (436.7 kilograms so about as much as a grand piano) which we could sell for only USD 17,468,938.94.

Fun fact - Paradox Interactive is a listed company on NASDAQ. At 105,600,000 shares which are traded for SEK 71.25 as of today, to purchase the company you'd need SEK
7,524,000,000 or USD 856,839,891.60 but to buy 50% of shares +1 only USD 428,361,642.88.

So to buy a controlling share in PDX you'd need about 42 buckets of ducats unmelted or 216 of melted ducats (and I included the price of buckets for you). Which by the way means that PDX is worth 94,048.89 kg of gold.

EDIT: I forgot about the fact that metals expand when heated. So the density of liquid ducats will be lowered and the number of buckets needed to buy Vicky increased. Will amend post in spare time.

This kind of stuff from the community is why I would pay a bucket of ducats for Vicky 3.

View attachment 266332

View attachment 266333

View attachment 266342

I love this community. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.