• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Cardinal Sin

Lt. General
76 Badges
May 6, 2013
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Victoria 2
As far as I have gleaned from discussions here in the HIP subforum, it is likely that only parts of India will make it into SWMH once it is updated to take into account the new map.

I actually have to concur. All of those provinces would slow down SWMH considerably, which is a concern for me as my computer is ok but not top-modern. For me, in vanilla, I experience a down-turn in performance after 50 years - I blame Muslim and pagan rabbitting (which I call the phenomenon in which a dynasty bloats because of the excessive use of secondary wives and concubines).

So what should at the least be included?

For me, it is Central Asia (but not the superfluous Siberian provinces), Afghanistan, Baluchistan, Sindh, Punjab and a chunk alongside the Ganges. The border to the impassable terrain can be drawn through the Rann of Kutch, the Thar Desert and the Hills of Bundelkhand (the Southern border of the Gangetic plains). I think the map should also include Delhi and the Gangetic plain until Varanasi (which can be moved out of Bihar and into the kingdom west of it, Kolsomething or whatever its name was, the one between Delhi and Bihar).

An Empire called India could then be located spanning Sindh, Punjab, Delhi and the other most eastern kingdom. This would pretty much represent the heartlands of the Delhi Sultanate and the later Mughal Empire, and it would represent the parts of India that were absolutely essential to Islam without going overboard.

There would be few Jains in that area though... I imagine picking a Jain count as there may be there would be a very difficult playthrough. :D

Note that calling it India wouldn't make sense for SWMH since that's a relatively modern European invention. Hindustan would work better, and I'm sure there are other good options.

Note that calling it India wouldn't make sense for SWMH since that's a relatively modern European invention. Hindustan would work better, and I'm sure there are other good options.
Actually, India is the Ancient Greek word which is derived from Old Persian Hindu, which in turn is derived from Sanskrit Sindhu. A better native Indian term for the whole subcontinent would be Bharata.

Hmm ok I suppose Bharat would be in the spirit of SWMH, like Magyarorszag for Hungary and Danmörk for Denmark. Hindustan would probably be the Turkish, Persian and Arabic localisation. I do not think we need a localisation for the Norse :p

Hmm ok I suppose Bharat would be in the spirit of SWMH, like Magyarorszag for Hungary and Danmörk for Denmark. Hindustan would probably be the Turkish, Persian and Arabic localisation. I do not think we need a localisation for the Norse :p

What of the Mongol and central asian groups that are not turks? would they follow the turkish model "hindustan"? because I might want to try and make the Mughal empire before it ahppened :p

Hindustan as a concept is the result of India being ruled by the persianized Timurids and is way past the game period.

Hindustan as a concept is the result of India being ruled by the persianized Timurids and is way past the game period.

The first Delhi Sultanate founded by a Turkish slave dynasty in the 13th century. It's not that ahistorical to assume India could be united by Turks.

Seems like that should actually be Danmǫrk, but I can understand the use of the umlaut. That little tail is very small and indistinctive.

On topic: After playing in India, I really can't get used to not having it in the game. Being able to play as a Buddhist in a whole new realm is just too good to pass up on. And really the whole new dynamism it adds to playing all of the east beyond the Mediterranean is also invaluable (a region that was very static previously imo). Maybe there'll eventually be a separate version for those that down mind the slowdown?

I believe,northern India would me more than enough

Maybe there'll eventually be a separate version for those that down mind the slowdown?

I can't speak for the SWMH team, but that will probably be unlikely due to a couple of reasons. Firstly that means they'll have redraw their entire projection for the version with a full India and keep that up to date with the changes on the project without India (and thus there's no point in essentially doubling your work). Secondly, and more importantly, I think, the leader of the SWMH team, elvain, has a pretty low-end computer, and that isn't likely to change soon; with a hypothetical full India, which will be more performance heavy, if the leader of the SWMH team can't even load into that, and be able to mod it - thus in other words if the modder working on his mod can't even mod adequately due to performance issues, well, there's kind of no point in bothering with it in the first place.

EDIT: I misspoke, Elvain isn't the leader of the SWMH team, but I think my point would still stand. Us modders have a variety of computers, so if one of us can't mod because precisely performance issues, even if the team could carry on it would be a serious setback.

Last edited:
Well, I prefer gorgeous, not stretched map, with all curves in the right places. Not a deformed monster with everything packed inside. I'm all with SWHM team on this one.

I would actually like to see them keep all of India.
the subtility here is that there is nothing to keep, only things to add ;)

A idea: add North India first and then if you 'feel like it' add more and more of India. This way you can decide how much Elvain's/Aasmul's computer can still handle well enough and we 'customers' get more of India...

As far as the history of the region goes, I think it's probably most important to include at least the Western coast (In particular, the island of Lanka all the way south). In terms of interacting with Europe and the Middle-East, the North-West of India was colonized by a number of Turks and Persians, and the South and West of India were the North-West's primary interactions so including those would be historically plausible (In terms of who interacted with who/who helped shape who).

I'm not opposed to losing Bengal and some of the areas around it, but I would really like to see as far south as Lanka and all of the Western coast of the subcontinent included.

As far as the history of the region goes, I think it's probably most important to include at least the Western coast (In particular, the island of Lanka all the way south). In terms of interacting with Europe and the Middle-East, the North-West of India was colonized by a number of Turks and Persians, and the South and West of India were the North-West's primary interactions so including those would be historically plausible (In terms of who interacted with who/who helped shape who).

I'm not opposed to losing Bengal and some of the areas around it, but I would really like to see as far south as Lanka and all of the Western coast of the subcontinent included.

It sounds very unlikely based on what the team have said so far that you'll be getting the entire West Coast of India plus Lanka. Personally i think that would actually be weirder looking than just including Rajastan and some of it's surrounding areas (the projection that the team is creating determines what and how much will be added).