how much of a performance tick boost do i get with an ssd?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well.. Stellaris's core folder weights over 10GBs. Most of this - is textures and sound files. Compressed. Obviously, Stellaris doesn't use those resources until those are needed in runtime: typical RAM usage varies from 1GBs to 2GBs, depending on map size, population, etc. Not 10GBs, not even close. So, with SSD the game will load resources faster, when the game needs to draw frames with something that wasn't present in before. And due to mutual lock between frames and simulation (simulation is getting stopped until all visuals are drawn), SSD will make load-on-runtime chokes shorter, especially due to SSD response time.

But simulation itself will not get any faster, at all.

• 1Like
Reactions:
For load times it will be noticeable. For game time passing, it's cpu. Maybe some gpu for big laser light shows, but the calculation (huge pop) stuff is gonna be cpu.

Reactions:
When I upgraded to an SSD my load times got significantly shorter. This only really helped when I had to quit the game and join back when playing with friends. Other than that an SSD won't do much. You want to buy a CPU in the future if you want a good boost.

Reactions:
An SSD/NVME drive helps only with game install & loading times. It has no impact on FPS or other performance metrics whatsoever.

With the next generation of consoles going SSD, we will in time start to see games made to take better advantage of those higher speeds. Don't know if that could lead to better FPS once it's been explored more, but at the very least it should bring loading screens mostly to an end.

Reactions:
No in game effect. Only loading since drives are just for reading and writing. I installed Stellaris on SSD and it still lags in late game, even despite a good CPU. Although I hit the late game lag at a much later date than those with worse CPUs than mine, it is still inevitable.

Semi on topic - I've recently bought a Ryzen 2700x, what are the experiences with that thing regarding endgame lag? I haven't played any Stellaris since so I haven't tried yet.

Semi on topic - I've recently bought a Ryzen 2700x, what are the experiences with that thing regarding endgame lag? I haven't played any Stellaris since so I haven't tried yet.
Can't comment specifically on that processor. As a general rule of thumb, Stellaris does little to take advantage of any multi cores/threads offered, so a higher frequency single core (in theory) should perform a bit better, however it only delays when the lag bites, it never stops it.

Reactions:
Just got a new computer with an SSD myself. Loading into the game from launcher to skybox with 25+ mods took around 2-3 minutes.

With an SSD it's closer to 25 seconds.