How Many More Planned DLCs Are Left?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I personally believe that once Meiou and taxes 2.0 is released, EU4 will see it's playerbase explode. Meiou taxes is like the first experience of eu4 on sterioids. It will revolutionize the entire game. Crusader kings 2 is probably in the home strech, I guess we might see some chinese lag gig if we are lucky, but that would be a lot of work so I am not counting on too much, but as Johan said about, it all depends on how much people buy. EU4 with Meiou and taxes 2.0 might still receive dlcs, and actually receive more purchases, but that would depend on how compatible they are with Meiou and taxes, because that is what most harcore EU4 players will be using once it is released. I'll refrain from commenting stellaris, as I have not played it. Lastly on Hoi4, I don't believe they will be churning out as many dlcs as ck2 and eu4, atleast not while the current game needs to be fixed, and there are a lot of modders that have proved they can deliever interesting ideas to the table. Everything in TFV could frankly have been achieved by modders, as proved by the Swedish tiger and 1956 mods, so I doubt people will be too interested in seeing dlcs that override already perfectly working mods. They will probably be very specific. . .
A pretty complicated mod being released, is only really going to bring old players that are tired and loved that mod back. I seriously doubt it will really help get new players..

Didn't some dev state that the CKII DLC cycle would end after a "few" more expansions? I might be making this up.

Yeah that is what I heard on the CK2 forums, and on the dev stream multiple times. They said they were planning to only do a few more "planned" major expansions after the next one. I remember at one point they said they only had 3 left and that was during Conclave.

I wouldn't count on them putting out any bundles beyond what they already have where they bundle an expansion with its content pack for a small discount.

I don't expect EU4 will be 'finished' for at least another 3 years, and then it might well be a long time if ever before they put together some kind of complete bundle. As you are aware, Steam factor in already owned products in bundles so buying the expansions now won't prevent you from completing the set some time in the future if a bundle does come out.

I am talking about their so called "Collection" bundles, the ones they haven't updated since July, 2014 for EUIV (17 item bundle) and the May, 2014 for CK2 (43 item bundle) which has like over half to two thirds of the dlcs.

I realize that when dlcs first come out they want you to buy them at full price, thus it makes sense that they wouldn't be included in the bundles, or put on sale immediately. But after like the next dlc comes out or two... they should put all the dlcs that aren't the most recent two into the bundle that way people can just easily keep buying that bundle over and over to keep their games reasonably up to date and know that they got the best deal they could get especially since steam no longer charges for repeated items in bundles.

It would also be easier for people to recommend the game, when they can just say hey buy this large bundle right here, and these 1-2 dlcs here to get the full experience instead of how it is right now. Where you say hey buy this giant bundle here, and buy another 15 individual dlcs.

Last edited:
I personally believe that once Meiou and taxes 2.0 is released, EU4 will see it's playerbase explode. Meiou taxes is like the first experience of eu4 on sterioids. It will revolutionize the entire game. Crusader kings 2 is probably in the home strech, I guess we might see some chinese lag gig if we are lucky, but that would be a lot of work so I am not counting on too much, but as Johan said about, it all depends on how much people buy. EU4 with Meiou and taxes 2.0 might still receive dlcs, and actually receive more purchases, but that would depend on how compatible they are with Meiou and taxes, because that is what most harcore EU4 players will be using once it is released. I'll refrain from commenting stellaris, as I have not played it. Lastly on Hoi4, I don't believe they will be churning out as many dlcs as ck2 and eu4, atleast not while the current game needs to be fixed, and there are a lot of modders that have proved they can deliever interesting ideas to the table. Everything in TFV could frankly have been achieved by modders, as proved by the Swedish tiger and 1956 mods, so I doubt people will be too interested in seeing dlcs that override already perfectly working mods. They will probably be very specific. . .

Sorry to say, but M&T fanboys that believe that everyone should play the mod and are utterly confused about why people aren't interested are more obnoxious and annoying than people persistently advocating for buffing their home region with little to no historical reasoning

M&T are good for those that like it, but its nowhere near as important or genre-changing as people would like to believe ... CK2-GoT have a much better claim for that, but that have more to do with how perfect a fit the story is on the 'engine' than about how much they wave around saying that they made the game inherently better.

Sorry to say, but M&T fanboys that believe that everyone should play the mod and are utterly confused about why people aren't interested are more obnoxious and annoying than people persistently advocating for buffing their home region with little to no historical reasoning

M&T are good for those that like it, but its nowhere near as important or genre-changing as people would like to believe ... CK2-GoT have a much better claim for that, but that have more to do with how perfect a fit the story is on the 'engine' than about how much they wave around saying that they made the game inherently better.

It's true that M&T isn't for everyone, but do note that there will be entirely new aspects to draw players once 2.0 rolls out with systems for population, province wealth and much more:

* Watch as millions die during plague waves, complete with trade mapmode icons for flashiness!
* Pillage your rival's lands, filling your and your people's coffins with the ill-gotten gains!
* Colonize a new world freshly ravaged by devastating first contact diseases, watching your people breed like rabbits to fill out the newly emptied lands! (Pure side effect: A USA that isn't pathetic like in vanilla)
* (Or, if you are the boring sort, just sit tight and build your country and watch your cities grow and your provincial farming efficiency tick up)

... And much more!

To summarize M&T 2.0 will, in addition to catering to spreadsheet fanatics and e-masochists, also provide to armchair macroeconomists, Victoria fans and those who just wants to watch the world burn ^_^

It's true that M&T isn't for everyone, but do note that there will be entirely new aspects to draw players once 2.0 rolls out with systems for population, province wealth and much more:

* Watch as millions die during plague waves, complete with trade mapmode icons for flashiness!
* Pillage your rival's lands, filling your and your people's coffins with the ill-gotten gains!
* Colonize a new world freshly ravaged by devastating first contact diseases, watching your people breed like rabbits to fill out the newly emptied lands! (Pure side effect: A USA that isn't pathetic like in vanilla)
* (Or, if you are the boring sort, just sit tight and build your country and watch your cities grow and your provincial farming efficiency tick up)

... And much more!

To summarize M&T 2.0 will, in addition to catering to spreadsheet fanatics and e-masochists, also provide to armchair macroeconomists, Victoria fans and those who just wants to watch the world burn ^_^
USA IS pathetic during this time period. They didn't have a comparative military to Europe until after the Civil War and a world class economy until after WW1...

To be honest, I like M&T quite a bit and enjoyed it in EU3. The problem is it slows the game down so much from a performance standpoint, and that's just prohibitive.

If performance is the issue I can say that the upcoming overhaul currently runs quite a bit faster than the latest public release, so I'd suggest trying it out when it's released ;)

USA IS pathetic during this time period. They didn't have a comparative military to Europe until after the Civil War and a world class economy until after WW1...

I didn't say it would become a behemoth, just that in the new systems it's actually possible to organically simulate the rapid population growth many parts of the new world experienced in the game's timeframe.

You meant 17 items, right? - the whole of EU4 DLCs amounts to 38 items.

It would also be easier for people to recommend the game, when they can just say hey buy this large bundle right here, and these 1-2 dlcs here to get the full experience instead of how it is right now. Where you say hey buy this giant bundle here, and buy another 15 individual dlcs.
While it sounds nice, you overlooked a slight problem and that is the price increase of the bundle.

I like M&T like I like a good craft beer. I think it's damn good, but it's not for everyone.

That's the nice thing about modding. There's usually something for everyone.

Both CK2 and EU4 have no limit on when we plan to end. As long as you play and buy, we'll keep making expansions.

Won't multiple DLCs then set the feature quantity standard for a EU5 or CK3 high?

EU5 should be the ultimate early modern period simulator with population, professions, local provincial economies, and the such. ;)

You meant 17 items, right? - the whole of EU4 DLCs amounts to 38 items.

Yeah that was a typo. I meant to type 17. I typed 99 because the price of the bundle was $99.99.

While it sounds nice, you overlooked a slight problem and that is the price increase of the bundle.

Steam subtracts the items you already have in the bundle. Therefore if you already own like 90% of the bundle, it will remove the cost of those items, and still give you the bundle price for each items and apply the discount when it goes on sale.

Won't multiple DLCs then set the feature quantity standard for a EU5 or CK3 high?

EU5 should be the ultimate early modern period simulator with population, professions, local provincial economies, and the such. ;)

Sometimes I think it's Minecraft's fault because that game keep iterating and people keep buying it. These paradox games are similar in that they could keep iterating and I'd probably keep buying as long as they add features that are interesting. A new game would just require a newer, better computer.

I almost think they should have an optional subscription model with an expected plan of content add per year. I really don't want EU5 at this point and wouldn't buy it unless it was as ultimate as you say.

Steam subtracts the items you already have in the bundle. Therefore if you already own like 90% of the bundle, it will remove the cost of those items, and still give you the bundle price for each items and apply the discount when it goes on sale.
I meant it in regards to recommending the bundle to new players - since they won't have any [or very few] DLCs the price will be high.

Nonetheless, I still wish for the bundle to be updated at the very least till March 2015 [El Dorado] as well to be converted to the new Steam bundle scheme.

I meant it in regards to recommending the bundle to new players - since they won't have any [or very few] DLCs the price will be high.

Nonetheless, I still wish for the bundle to be updated at the very least till March 2015 [El Dorado] as well to be converted to the new Steam bundle scheme.

Even though the price will be very high for a new player, it will still be way cheaper than buying the dlcs individually or pressing the "add all" button on steam. Because steam always gives anywhere between like 5%-20% discount on bundle prices compared to the a la carte method. So when a steam sale happens, you get a 75% off on that already 5-20% cheaper prices.

Am I the only one that the game is getting too much complicated with way too many modiffiers per mechanism?
Is not like they can market the game for its simplicity, it´s already relatively hard to get into, more complexility leaves more room to explore and prolonges the longevity.

well, that makes sense... hope europa univeraslis 5 dont have so many numbers :s
It's a computer game. It is literally nothing but numbers :)