How junior partner inheritance really works(Hint: it is not a dice roll)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sorry for bumping this old thread, but does that mean if you have a rather large nation in a PU under you (let's say France under a PU as England) that you can never inherit them? Because IC is determined negatively by # provinces from Junior. So as soon as IC drops below 0 due to high number of provinces, you can never inherit. And thus you are forced to integrate them with diplo points.
Or am I missing something?

Sorry for bumping this old thread, but does that mean if you have a rather large nation in a PU under you (let's say France under a PU as England) that you can never inherit them? Because IC is determined negatively by # provinces from Junior. So as soon as IC drops below 0 due to high number of provinces, you can never inherit. And thus you are forced to integrate them with diplo points.
Or am I missing something?
You can't inherit them if the chance is negative. If it isn't too far negative, you can get more dip rep to get it positive again(and enforce culture for another +5). But very large countries can't be inherited.

You can't inherit them if the chance is negative. If it isn't too far negative, you can get more dip rep to get it positive again(and enforce culture for another +5). But very large countries can't be inherited.

So basically any country with more than 45 provinces always has to be diplo-integrated.

So basically any country with more than 45 provinces always has to be diplo-integrated.
You can't really say something like that about eu4. 45 provinces would just need more than 9 dip rep which can be achieved in almost all campaigns if you really want to(ideas and policies alone can give you +10).

• 8Like
Reactions:
You can't really say something like that about eu4. 45 provinces would just need more than 9 dip rep which can be achieved in almost all campaigns if you really want to(ideas and policies alone can give you +10).

Sorry, though the max was around 8. Maybe that has increased nowadays to 10+.
Thanks for the advice though, I'm pretty sure I'll not be aiming for high dip rep (or at least not maxing it) so will have to keep in mind to keep Juniors small or spend lotsa diplo to integrate.

wait a minute, do having an heir prevents inherit on monarch death? because wiki page doesnt say this, it just says there is chance to inherit PUs on monarch death, doesnt say anything about heirs.

You mean inheriting your PU subject? No it doesn't.

but i killed my ruler at least 30 times via console commands and didnt inherit my pu. then i killed my ruler, my heir became king and i killed him too. with this way (killing your ruler 2 times in one day) i inherited my PU 2 times of 5 tries.

killing your ruler, 0/30 inherit chance.
killing your ruler two times in one day, 2/5 inherit chance.

how about this then?

Last edited:
but i killed my ruler at least 30 times via console commands and didnt inherit my pu. then i tried to kill both my ruler and next ruler (former heir) and inherited pu with 2/5 try.

killing your ruler, 0/30 inherit chance.
killing your ruler two times in one day, 2/5 inherit chance.

how about this then?
Your heir become your ruler with a new ruler id. When you kill that one, the result is different from the previous.

Having an heir or not isnt a factor according to this.

i also didnt fully understand this program.

i am france and have PUs over spain, naples and milan.

milan has 37% inherit chance (ic)
naples has 25% inherit chance

according to this;

inheritance value(iv) of naples is 58 while milan is 89.

89 (iv) is not smaller than 37 (ic) and 58 (iv) is not smaller then 25 (ic). so there is no way to inherit them with my current ruler right?

inheritance value(iv) of naples is 58 while milan is 89.

89 (iv) is not smaller than 37 (ic) and 58 (iv) is not smaller then 25 (ic). so there is no way to inherit them with my current ruler right?
Did you get the inheritance value from pdx.tools? Did you read the first post? It explains how the value is calculated and there are several things in the formula which can change the value so that inheriting with your current ruler becomes possible.

Reactions:
ha! That is odd and interesting. Clearly the goal was to generate a random number, which really makes me wonder why they didn’t just generate a random number.
you also want to know the result consistently over time.

A bit late, but can you get a PU through royal marriage if the other country has a PU of their own? I've scoured the internet trying to find a definitive answer, but I keep getting contradictory responses on the few pages I could find on the subject. I think the answer is no, because the game is clearly telling me that I'll just get a relative on the throne once Albrecht (finally) dies, despite pdx.tools telling me that they should have an inheritance value of 86 and, as a result, be PU'd by me

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-12-27 200543.png
    Screenshot 2022-12-27 200543.png
    3,9 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2022-12-27 200640.png
    Screenshot 2022-12-27 200640.png
    325 KB · Views: 0
A bit late, but can you get a PU through royal marriage if the other country has a PU of their own? I've scoured the internet trying to find a definitive answer, but I keep getting contradictory responses on the few pages I could find on the subject. I think the answer is no, because the game is clearly telling me that I'll just get a relative on the throne once Albrecht (finally) dies, despite pdx.tools telling me that they should have an inheritance value of 86 and, as a result, be PU'd by me

No, the only way to get a PU over a nation that has their own PU junior is by claiming the throne and taking it.

• 1Like
Reactions:
C++:
int CCountry::CalcMonarchDeathOutcome() const
{
    int nOutcome = GetCurrentMonarch()->GetID().GetID() + _Tag.GetIndex() + CCurrentGameState::AccessInstance()->GetCurrentDate().GetYear();

if ( _pCurrentHeir->IsValid() )
    {
        nOutcome += _pCurrentHeir->GetID().GetID();
    }

if ( CCurrentGameState::AccessInstance()->AccessEmpire().GetElectors().GetSize() > 0 )
    {
        nOutcome += CCurrentGameState::AccessInstance()->AccessEmpire().GetEmperor().GetCountry().GetCurrentMonarch()->GetID().GetID();
    }

const CPapacy* pPapacy = _pReligion->GetPapacy();
    if ( pPapacy )
    {
        nOutcome += pPapacy->GetInstanceData().GetCuriaController().GetIndex();
    }

nOutcome += _OwnedProvinces.GetSize();
    nOutcome += _nCapital;

for ( auto pRuler : _PreviousMonarchs )
    {
        nOutcome += pRuler->GetID().GetID();
    }

nOutcome = nOutcome % 100;

return nOutcome;
}

Honestly, this is so convoluted to calculate, if you want to go to the trouble of looking at ids in your save game and gaming things to guarantee an inheritance, why not just type integrate XXX? Both involve cheating (looking into your save games for ids is cheating in my book), but one can be done in just a few seconds, while the other will probably take at least a half hour.

That said, it's interesting to know how it's calculated. It's still essentially random though, and given that each of the factors that go into it change reasonably frequently, I think you could still save scum it. It also explains how I used to often get multiple inheritances at once.

Reactions: