• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm curious what you people are doing to break the AI's economy, cause I never see them doing to badly, save a large nation that goes 5k into debt cause they refuse to surrender.
Major problem I've seen with the AI is they tend to get into a disaster death spiral they can't get out of for 200 years. Also having the ai run a larger proportion of their army if they have the money. So many tiny nations that have 1 soldier. Super easy to expand in HRE due to enemies letting you crush them for the first half of the war.

I declare Trade Wars. I am not sorry.

• 2Haha
Reactions:
I have another question regarding colonisation. I have read that colonisation is done too fast and that everything gets colonised way too early. Is this true?

I have another question regarding colonisation. I have read that colonisation is done too fast and that everything gets colonised way too early. Is this true?
Again. Nothing new there... You needed to kill Spain and Portugal to prevent that since quite some patches ago at least.

Again. Nothing new there... You needed to kill Spain and Portugal to prevent that since quite some patches ago at least.
Ok thanks. Like I said been 2 years since I played so a lot to catch up on. Is there anyway to slow down colonisation other than killing spain and portugal?

I love the new mechanics in this patch, but at 1600 and on the AI issues are really starting to surface.

Poland managed to form the Commonwealth and became the third largest world power. They called me to war with Russia and made huge gains in the war. They also managed to attack and defeat Austria. So, I'm expecting them to continue being a major player as the game progresses, but they've been 6k in debt for about 20 years now, and I'm beginning to worry that they'll never recover.

Reactions:
I love the new mechanics in this patch, but at 1600 and on the AI issues are really starting to surface.

Poland managed to form the Commonwealth and became the third largest world power. They called me to war with Russia and made huge gains in the war. They also managed to attack and defeat Austria. So, I'm expecting them to continue being a major player as the game progresses, but they've been 6k in debt for about 20 years now, and I'm beginning to worry that they'll never recover.
Yes. That is really the point where allies become totally useless except for them not joining coalitions. They might well never recover.

I have another question regarding colonisation. I have read that colonization is done too fast and that everything gets colonised way too early. Is this true?
My main problem with colonization right now is that the AI seems to hold back on attacking the natives.
Last game I played, Mexico was a patchwork of natives and colonies, and NA had half of its natives intact (the other half I annexed).
SA was a bit better, but the OPM tribes in Brazil were still there for some reason.
That's by 1817.

My main problem with colonization right now is that the AI seems to hold back on attacking the natives.
Last game I played, Mexico was a patchwork of natives and colonies, and NA had half of its natives intact (the other half I annexed).
SA was a bit better, but the OPM tribes in Brazil were still there for some reason.
That's by 1817.
That sounds like awful border gore lol. So is the colonisation speed ok then would you say? Or should i get a mod to slow it down a bit?

I'm curious what you people are doing to break the AI's economy, cause I never see them doing to badly, save a large nation that goes 5k into debt cause they refuse to surrender.
Major problem I've seen with the AI is they tend to get into a disaster death spiral they can't get out of for 200 years. Also having the ai run a larger proportion of their army if they have the money. So many tiny nations that have 1 soldier. Super easy to expand in HRE due to enemies letting you crush them for the first half of the war.

With Court and country being easier to trigger many, if not most, of the medium-big size nation will end up triggering it by accident. Sure it isn't one of the worse disasters but it still weakens the AI.

Ok with my previous difficulty settings i have posted its the year 1520 and whilst some nations are in debt they are getting out of it quicker. Not really had a big slog of a war occur yet so will keep an eye out.

• 1Like
Reactions:
That sounds like awful border gore lol. So is the colonisation speed ok then would you say? Or should i get a mod to slow it down a bit?

In my experience, if Portugal and Castile/Spain are strong and uninterrupted, then colonization will go faster than it did historically. However if they fail you can end up with colonization far behind what occurred historically. Personally I wouldn't worry about it - there are far more ahistorical outcomes that can happen in EU4 than just having the Americas and Pacific being 100% colonized by 1820.

Are these problems only present for Emperor owners? I'm a newcomer to EU4 and don't own Emperor yet.

The biggest problems are a result of the 1.30 patch that accompanied the Emperor release. Both players with and without the expansion experience similar issues.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Ok with my previous difficulty settings i have posted its the year 1520 and whilst some nations are in debt they are getting out of it quicker. Not really had a big slog of a war occur yet so will keep an eye out.
Keep us posted on please mate. I have similar settings mostly copied from you
;). I will try and run an observer game and see how it goes

Reactions:
Ok so i had similar settings to you and did an observation game till 1720. Debt seems ok only those on loosing side seem to get onto debt but also seem to get out of it.
Mains issues seem to be too larger armies and navies. Everyone seems to have big modern day armies with navies that today’s nations could only dream of

Ok so I made some adjustments and I got good results. I am using a couple of MOD's that I believe will have affected my outcome but they are good to have :).

MOD's
Development Expanded
Capitals Expanded
Eurocentric Institutions

I believe that 2 of these MOD's helped the AI out as well as the buff's I gave them below. But these are good MOD's and improve the game IMO.

Below are the buff's I gave the AI on Hard difficulty. I used Hard instead of Normal because I have read that the AI is a little more aggressive and makes better choices especially when it comes to hindering the player.

difficulty_hard_ai = {
manpower_recovery_speed = 0.25
interest = -1
missionary_maintenance_cost = -0.1
build_cost = -0.25
inflation_reduction = 0.15
global_regiment_cost = -0.1
global_ship_cost = -0.1
naval_maintenance_modifier = -0.1
merc_maintenance_modifier = -0.25
yearly_corruption = -0.5
land_maintenance_modifier = -0.1
global_tax_modifier = 0.1
improve_relation_modifier = 0.1
global_trade_power = 0.05
fort_maintenance_modifier = -0.5
mercenary_cost = -0.25
free_leader_pool = 1

I did an observation game until 1680 and only countries in debt are the ones on loosing end of wars or in bad position. I kept checking throughout every now and then and this seems to hold true throughout the game. Army sizes this time were within reason and would be a fair challenge for the player I believe. I am happy with the results of this test and hopefully with a player involved it wont hurt the AI much.

One thing I have noticed tho on both tests is that the AI doesn't upgrade forts. They might not build new forts either but this I am not sure of. I will have see and check that. Does anyone have any idea how to get the AI to build/upgrade forts?

Conclusion is that forts are now my biggest problem. Hope at least 1 of you finds this helpful :)

Im playing a friendly MP game with some friends. (allDLCs, normal, no lucky nations and we play Milan, Denmark and Burgundy)
Its around 1560 and so far we have seen bankruptcy in France, Castille, England, Muscovy and Austria.

Im playing a friendly MP game with some friends. (allDLCs, normal, no lucky nations and we play Milan, Denmark and Burgundy)
Its around 1560 and so far we have seen bankruptcy in France, Castille, England, Muscovy and Austria.
With the buffs i used above i haven’t noticed the ai go bankrupt but if any have it would make sense in the fact that they had really bad luck or kept get destroyed in wars. Like I said above tho I don’t know how to fix the ai not upgrading forts tho

Interesting i will try those settings mine have got a little out of hand with too many buffs. I like the global TP buff because its so easy to beat ai in trade.
I had no lucky nations as well forgot to add that :). Yea I like it as well tho I am not sure what the right amount of buff is right for TP. I just basically copied your buffs and adjusted or deleted where I thought needed:).

Do you have any idea how to get the ai to upgrade forts?

EDIT!

A guy here on the forums has made an event to help the ai in disbanding unused mercs. Hopefully this will help as well with our buffs.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Should I just roll back to a previous patch or does the Austria update has any must have features that compensate for the AI debt crisis?
austria is fun, but keep saves around because there are a lot of things that are badly designed and you will want to roll back

other nations on the other hand.... like little nations....