• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

TheExecuter

General
10 Badges
Sep 18, 2006
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Stellaris Sign-up
So, because of Loki and Narwhal's fabulous AARs, I bought a copy of AGEOD's American Civil War, and picked up a copy of War in America 2. My few attempts at playing ACW have resulted in death by organization, so I moved to WiA, where the interface is more intuitive.

After a few playthroughs of the small scenarios, and an attempt at the 1812 scenario, I think I'm ready for the big game...the Revolutionary War. I mean, 'how hard could it be'? I'll play as the mightiest nation in the world, with regular infantry to crush the militia, with naval supremacy, with all the odds stacked in my favor. Those rebels won't know what hit them.

So, I load up as Britain and start figuring out how to take screenshots.

april17751cropped.jpg

That's my big army garrisoning Boston, the starting place of this dratted revolt. Sir Thomas Gage is in command, but, after the action at Lexington, he is trapped on the island of Boston, hemmed in by local milita which occupy the Dorchester Heights. I need to break this position to free up my army to restore the crown's authority, but Gage's force (and almost all of my forces everywhere) are locked.

I also attempt to reorganize my forces in Canada, the plan being to bring General Carleton's force to Montreal, to attempt to forestall any American attempt to invade Canada, and I move my bateaux into more useful places. Unfortunately, for me...I misorder Carleton, so he does not get to Montreal...and I lost the screenshot in GMP, as I don't fully understand the program yet.

But hey...How Hard Could it Be?

Game info:
Seargent level
No-activation bonus for the AI
Medium detection level bonus for the AI
Give the AI extra time
etc. etc. etc.

How Hard Could it Be?

And, since I am a rookie, I WELCOME any advice, tips, strategies...etc.

Also any help with screenshots, (I use imageshack), as I can't seem to make the above bigger. I'll also need to figure out how to crop things...

Last edited:
My advice for WIA? Beware winter attrition and supplies. Don't get caught in the hinterland. Other than that, have fun.

PS: Maybe enlarge the screenshots a bit. I can't quite make out the numbers.

So you finally have a machine that can run the games? ;) Or are you using a desktop instead of a laptop? Ah, idle musings on my part... :)

Good luck with your game. I'm looking forward to a less-than-perfect playthrough (;)), but most of all, I hope you have a fun and entertaining time crushing those perfidious tax dodgers and despoilers of perfectly good tea. :)

good choice of scenario, this is the biggie in WiA. As above, watch winter, make sure if you can you winter on depots big enough to fully supply your troops (that way they recoved in-element losses for free) so if need be don't be afraid to expend supply wagons to this end.

As to images from AGEOD games, I use a bit of software called 'faststone capture'. The free bit just takes full screen pictures (that you can then crop etc), the paid for one has a number of more natty features, but the good thing is it works akin to F11 in a clauswitz game. What I've found is this forum tends to reduce the image displayed to the size you have, so one trick I'm starting to do is to put OOB stuff in a separate image (I nicked this off Bornego), it makes things a lot easier to see.

Great to have a chance to comment on your AAR ... looking forward to you saving N America for Social Democracy :)

My advice for WIA? Beware winter attrition and supplies. Don't get caught in the hinterland. Other than that, have fun.

PS: Maybe enlarge the screenshots a bit. I can't quite make out the numbers.

Working on the screenshot bit. And yes, winter is definitely NOT campaign season in North America...

Stuyvesant said:
So you finally have a machine that can run the games? Or are you using a desktop instead of a laptop? Ah, idle musings on my part...

Good luck with your game. I'm looking forward to a less-than-perfect playthrough (), but most of all, I hope you have a fun and entertaining time crushing those perfidious tax dodgers and despoilers of perfectly good tea.

Yes, we have a new desktop!

Don't worry, this will not be a 'perfect' playthrough. I will (and already have) made mistakes.

However, that will not stop the inevitable triumph of the British Army over a bunch of radical tax dodgers! How hard could it be?

loki100 said:
good choice of scenario, this is the biggie in WiA. As above, watch winter, make sure if you can you winter on depots big enough to fully supply your troops (that way they recoved in-element losses for free) so if need be don't be afraid to expend supply wagons to this end.

As to images from AGEOD games, I use a bit of software called 'faststone capture'. The free bit just takes full screen pictures (that you can then crop etc), the paid for one has a number of more natty features, but the good thing is it works akin to F11 in a clauswitz game. What I've found is this forum tends to reduce the image displayed to the size you have, so one trick I'm starting to do is to put OOB stuff in a separate image (I nicked this off Bornego), it makes things a lot easier to see.

Great to have a chance to comment on your AAR ... looking forward to you saving N America for Social Democracy

Supply wagons...hmm. I am suffering a dearth of them at the moment. Of course, with everything locked, it doesn't much matter. However, my playthrough of the 1812 scenario definitely put me on my guard on the difficulties of supplying invasions through hostile terrain.

May 1775

So, May rolls around. Since Sir Thomas Gage is less interested in storming the Dorchester Heights, preferring to wait for promised reinforcements, lets look at the objectives for the scenario.

may1775objectivescroppe.jpg

The big strategic objectives for me are, Quebec, New York, and Philadelphia. Pittsburgh, Wilmington, and Charleston are the only other objectives not in my grasp, and I have no forces anywhere near them. But, remember, its a long slog.

I start out behind on the victory point counter, and the Americans control of the countryside means I will be further behind unless I start capturing some towns and increasing loyalty to the crown. To do that, I need more forces. You can also see the long list of strategic towns for control. I have no hope of taking all of these, so I'll have to focus on taking important cities and crushing the rebel militia for starters.

Now, back to Boston...where Gage is...devising a plan to...uhrm...not break out, but...ah, yes, now I remember. Re-establish loyalty to the crown. The rebels can sit up there in Dorchester and starve...because unless they can get some cannon up on to those heights, Boston is impregnable!

may1775bostoncropped.jpg

I mean, where on earth could they get any cannon with which to threaten my armies? This isn't Europe!

may1775lakechamplaincro.jpg

Oh. It seems the traitors have seized Fort Ticonderoga AND its cannons...and also the bateaux stationed there, which I was unable to move north because of the ice last month. I start shipping the small Quebec mobile force to Montreal, and move some Indians into a blocking position in case the Americans make a move for Ft. St. Jean (or Chambly, as the map refers to it).

All's quiet so far. Our inevitable victory is assured...once reinforcements arrive, of course!

Last edited:
... Our inevitable victory is assured...

optimism is good

I've not played this scenario so my comments are pretty generic but I'd suspect those Americans with their stolen guns (I do hope that will be added to the final bill they have to pay?), will prob scuttle off back to Albany?

optimism is good

I've not played this scenario so my comments are pretty generic but I'd suspect those Americans with their stolen guns (I do hope that will be added to the final bill they have to pay?), will prob scuttle off back to Albany?

Optimism is what made the British Empire what she is today!

Those guns do indeed scuttle off. Historically, they were dragged to the Dorchester Heights and used to intimidate the British into evacuating Boston. The AI is nowhere near that smart...though it did spend its EPs on buying more artillery.

June 1775

So, June rolls around while I wait for things to happen.

dunmoreescapescropped.jpg

Hmm...seems the local Virginians don't like the Royal Governor. He sends word that he is abandoning upper Virginia and retreating to Norfolk in order to rebuild his support base. At least he had the presence of mind to raise local loyal militia. Perhaps I won't have to send him any regulars. Let's see how this plays out.

virginiajune1775cropped.jpg

On Lake Champlain, my Indian scouts report that the majority of the force that took Ticonderoga has 'scuttled off', taking the guns with them. I don't have the forces to take the Fort, nor do I think taking it is wise at this juncture. The wilderness itself is enough of a fortress for Canada. I move my scouts out of sight range of the fort, and await developments. You can see General Carleton's force is at Montreal, though Carleton is inactive.

lakechamplaincropped.jpg

befinbostoncropped.jpg

FINALLY! At long last! Reinforcements! Perhaps this will kick Gage's but into gear and we can remove those pesky interlopers on the Dorchester Heights...

Oh wait...BOTH forces commanders are inactive this turn. <gnashing of teeth>

opportunityatbunkerhill.jpg

However, three of the one-star generals ARE chomping at the bit for action...AND Bunker Hill, a rise in Cambridge (across the bay) is lightly defended. If I can give these hotheads some troops, ferry them across the bay using my naval superiority, and then assault the hill...I might have an outlet that doesn't require going up against the mass of militia on the Dorchester Heights!

I'm a genius! How hard could it be?

Here are the troops I gave General Grant to use on his expedition.

bunkerhillforcecropped.jpg

To counter any losses (you know, landing, assault posture against a fort...there are bound to be casualties) I spend some of my EPs to train some regular replacements.

epexpenditurecropped.jpg

Fingers crossed and I push the 'process turn' button...

TheExecuter[/quote said:
I'm a genius! How hard could it be?
With words like these, I can practically hear the sounds of furious digging - the furious digging of the Grand Canyon-sized hole you're about to fall into. ;)

Well, I see the British continue the hallowed AGEOD tradition of leaders sitting on their bums for extended periods, particularly when you have the opportunity to actually achieve something positive... Perhaps this little tax protest won't be suppressed before the leaves fall, just yet.

Good luck! It's great to see some new AGEOD AARs popping up in this forum.

That amphibious landing at Bunker Hill is not a bad idea. Another possibility would have been a landing at New York or Philadelphia. Nothing to teach those rebels a lesson than some Redcoats chasing that puny congress into the bushes. :D

nice move, always worth digging about within an inactive stack for someone who might realise there is a war on ...

about those Indians at Ticonderoga, don't worry about them being spotted. Those militia only have a detect of 3 so you're safe sitting around doing a bit of cooking, telling a few yarns, just checking they haven't done anything in the fort recently

With words like these, I can practically hear the sounds of furious digging - the furious digging of the Grand Canyon-sized hole you're about to fall into. ;)

Well, I see the British continue the hallowed AGEOD tradition of leaders sitting on their bums for extended periods, particularly when you have the opportunity to actually achieve something positive... Perhaps this little tax protest won't be suppressed before the leaves fall, just yet.

Things do indeed move slowly...especially when my generals feel obligated to protect the supply of tea in Boston Harbour. At least I have a few generals willing to occasionally go out and shoot at the rebels.

Bornego said:
Good luck! It's great to see some new AGEOD AARs popping up in this forum.

That amphibious landing at Bunker Hill is not a bad idea. Another possibility would have been a landing at New York or Philadelphia. Nothing to teach those rebels a lesson than some Redcoats chasing that puny congress into the bushes.

New York / Philadelphia is not a bad idea. I want to do that with a significant force though. The benefit of detaching a few regiments is that they can be supported by the bulk of the units in Boston. If I detached a couple of regiments, and they failed to take New York or Philadelphia, I'd be risking them to be nibbled away by the substantial colonial militias that transit the middle states (especially New York).

loki100 said:
nice move, always worth digging about within an inactive stack for someone who might realise there is a war on ...

about those Indians at Ticonderoga, don't worry about them being spotted. Those militia only have a detect of 3 so you're safe sitting around doing a bit of cooking, telling a few yarns, just checking they haven't done anything in the fort recently

Thanks!

Also for the advice. I end up needing those Indians to do something better than watch Ft. Tico...

Dewirix said:
Isn't it bad form to leave your senior commanders behind and go charging off to look for a fight on your own though?

Anyway, count me in for a spot of colonial bashing!

Of course!

It's also bad form to sit in a surrounded town waiting for the rebels to starve you out...

At least I have some young generals with a bit of dash, nerve, and pluck!

June 1775

Just got word that Georgia has officially declared for the rebels. This means I no longer have access to any ports in the south. Something will have to be done to rescue the situation as Governor Wright hasn't managed to keep a lid on things. Sigh.

georgiarebels.jpg

At least Governor Dunsmore had the presence of mind to abandon Yorktown and rush to the defense of Norfolk. He's besieged in the port at the moment, but he saw off the first assault by the rebel rabble, who were expecting an undefended town. Not much of a battle. Seems these colonists don't have much stomach for a fight.

battleofnorfolk.jpg

And, of course, the news you've all been waiting for...we easily took Bunker Hill, and the town of Cambridge! With the loss of only 12 men, our regulars completely disintegrated a mass of local militia. We can now exit Boston at our leisure, using the ships that Lord Howe brought.

battleofbunkerhill.jpg

Since Grant is now inactive, my plan is to order Generals Piggot and Smith to take Salem, and drive off the small force under Benedict Arnold there. That should help the supply issues in the Boston area, and give me more freedom of action. I am also reinforcing General Grant with some forces under General Howe (who is now active), while leaving the rest of the Boston force under the inactive generals (Gage, Burgoyne, etc. etc.) to try to hold my enemy on the Dorchester heights. In this way, I will have substantial forces on the mainland which will be capable of threatening areas inland (Hartford, Providence, etc.) or I can use my sea advantage to take Newport (a necessity to improve my EP situation).

Slow but steady. At this rate, New York will be a 1776 operation.

bostonx.jpg

A small force appears at the mouth of Lake Champlain, and I order my Indian raiders to block the route towards Trois Rivieres. I only have enough forces to defend Montreal, and have nothing to go on the offensive with. We will just have to wait and see what the rebels are planning to do.

lakechamplain.jpg

I'll be the first to admit I'm sketchy on the actual events of the American Revolutionary War (I know the outcome, yes, but the details elude me), so maybe this is all par for the course, but to me the situation around Boston seems promising. Especially considering the amount of inactive generals you have stuck in there.

you really are struggling with inert leaders ... quite a neat move by the AI though to threaten Montreal

Yes...it gets even better, as you shall shortly see!

Stuyvesant said:
I'll be the first to admit I'm sketchy on the actual events of the American Revolutionary War (I know the outcome, yes, but the details elude me), so maybe this is all par for the course, but to me the situation around Boston seems promising. Especially considering the amount of inactive generals you have stuck in there.

In real life, Gage made an attempt at Bunker Hill, as I did, but took heavy casualties to carry the position. Those casualties (and the resulting arrival of cannon (in March 1776) on the Dorchester Heights overlooking the town) made him believe his position in Boston was untenable, and so he evacuated the British army and about 1,000 loyalists to Halifax on March 17, 1776. This date is still celebrated as 'evacuation day' in Boston and the surroundings. General Washington (then in command of the rebel army) moved his forces to New York to defend against the expected next attack of the British, which occurred in late summer 1776.

July 1775

The situation in Georgia worsens, as upcountry rebels and loyalist tories commence a virtual civil war over the inland portions of the state.

georgiaterror.jpg

I have substantial forces around 'Ninety-Six' (yes, that really is the name), and will attempt to move some of the loyalists down to Augusta, in an attempt to hold some of the state and protect the loyal citizens of the crown from these bandits and brigands....they will have to fight their way through however, so Godspeed to those brave men.

georgiar.jpg

In Virginia, the siege of Norfolk progresses, another weak rabble assault was beaten off by Lord Dunsmore. This setback to the rebels should embolden more loyalists to join the cause in Virginia, or so I hope.

siegeofnorfolk.jpg

Without a significant force, Dunsmore is sitting tight.

virginiat.jpg

In New York, a significant rebel force is marching up the Mohawk river valley, with its seeming goal to be to take Ft. Oswego. I only have a small garrison of loyalist militia there, and the closest available relief force is at Ft. Niagara. However, I can afford the loss of Oswego, since it does not add significantly to any rebel threat towards Montreal or Canada. I will not be spending much resources attempting to stop this assault.

newyorkaw.jpg

In Canada, we have lost sight of the small rebel force, but an opportunity has arisen to take their bateaux, which have been left unguarded at Isle aux Noix. My indian scouts move in. General Carleton remains at Montreal until we receive better news of our enemy, or a credible threat to Quebec emerges.

lakechamplain.jpg

In New England, General Pigott's assault on Salem was successful. Benedict Arnold was beaten in a small skirmish outside the town, and has retreated north into New Hampshire. The seizure of Salem provides additional supplies and another base for our forces outside of Boston.

battleofsalem.jpg

I order Pigott to continue his pursuit of Arnold, order inactive Burgoyne to take some reinforcements to Cambridge, while Howe will take the forces currently at Cambridge to attack the Fort at Worchester. I hope to threaten Hartford, Providence, and western Massachusetts by this action, as the rebel militia obstinately refuses to disperse. I am taking a risk dispersing my columns like this, but I think it very unlikely Gage will become active, and also unlikely that any of my columns could be defeated by anything but the combined might of most of that stack of milita at Dorchester. Either they will break up to defend the rest of New England, and be defeated in detail, or I will surround them, and starve them out. How hard could it be?

bostonf.jpg

I spend some of my EPs on replacements for the British Army.

optionsw.jpg

I could easily attempt to arm indians, or unlock more indians, but they would unlock randomly (I think), and I want to spend my EPs on the things which will give me advantages in this war, namely replacements for my regulars, supplies, and attempts to sway public opinion in the colonies towards the King. Raising more Indians would only increase my forces in areas I hold to be mere sideshows. I do not plan to make any invasions via Canada, nor do I plan to raise the Indians (beyond what is scripted, I assume) as the war will be won or lost in the populated centers of the colonies. And there I will need all the advantages of well-supplied, well-reinforced regulars backed up by the might of the Royal Navy in order to prevail.