• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mr N

Private
61 Badges
Feb 28, 2015
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sengoku
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Victoria 2
Hi,

I have read through the forums and I believe understood the mechanics behind upgrading ships (ie. what can and cannot be upgraded). However, I am confused on the exact way how to do it.

Do I have to move my ships to a port (annexed territory or home territory)? Because it seems to me, as if nothing really happens there. In a post on this forum I hhave read that upgrading ships works analogue to upgrading infantry (hitting the little wrench symbol). However, I the little wrench icon is not available when I dock my ships in an annexed port.

Am I missing here something?

Best regards

Mr N

You cant upgrade ships like terrrain units (like upgrading inf to mot or such)
Upgrades for ships come only automatically similar to upgrading a medium tank from level 2 to level 3

BTW
It does only upgrade AA and Radar no hull or guns.
AFAIK

Reactions:
Countblue is correct.

The fact you can't upgrade hull and guns for ships in the game is meant to model how it was in real life: hulls were not upgraded, when a ship became old/obsolete it was scrapped or put in reserve (or mothballed). Regarding guns I think it's the same, although I'm not 100% sure no WW2 warships had their guns upgraded at some point.

That doesn't make any sense, one of the biggest upgrades were the guns and hull, obviously AA and Radar were more widely upgraded IRL, guns and hulls were also included.
Can you upgrade a VW Beetle into a Mercedes? That's the hull. Guns were upgraded, on some ships, but it required much work, and was only done, because an international treaty prohibited building new battleships.

Can you upgrade a VW Beetle into a Mercedes? That's the hull. Guns were upgraded, on some ships, but it required much work, and was only done, because an international treaty prohibited building new battleships.

There were many ships that had hull and gun upgrades including major warships converted into carriers while others had armour refits and torpedo blisters installed as well as boiler replacements so it’s not like the game couldn’t reflect this, however this would give any major power with a lot of ships a huge advantage and make their navies OP.

There were many ships that had hull and gun upgrades including major warships converted into carriers while others had armour refits and torpedo blisters installed as well as boiler replacements so it’s not like the game couldn’t reflect this, however this would give any major power with a lot of ships a huge advantage and make their navies OP.
Did you miss the part about "international treaty"? If you don't like that part of the game - too bad for you. Complaining about it will not change it. Only attract attention from people like me, who don't like whiners.

Reactions:
You *could* upgrade hulls via mating an extant hull onto an old hull - but that was mainly only done in the case of extreme repairs being needed. Gun upgrades were also extremely rare (again generally you'd only do that in the case of scrapping a ship and transferring its guns to a new hulk, or in the case of extreme repairs being needed). There were also a few instances of upgrades from manual to powered turret models, but in general the guns remained the same size and type (just some of the working parts of the turret were changed out). Smaller guns were changed out, especially AA guns, but the game mostly models that.

I know the "upgrade" icon appears in relation to ships, like it does for if you want to turn your INF brigade into a PAR brigade, but I'm not exactly sure what it does either.

I should also point out that in the case of "ship conversion" that *could* be helpful, but I'm not aware of European powers actually going through with their plans to convert most of their ships near to the start of the war (such conversions were done fairly early in the 30's pretty regularly though).

I should also point out that in the case of "ship conversion" that *could* be helpful, but I'm not aware of European powers actually going through with their plans to convert most of their ships near to the start of the war (such conversions were done fairly early in the 30's pretty regularly though).
Once again - because Washington Treaty of 1922 established a ban on construction of new battleships until mid-30s.

Reactions:
Not every naval power signed or followed said treaties. Hell most of the open violations began occurring exactly within the frame of the earliest start date of the game. Not to mention other paper fleets people had dreamed up.

In general such conversions were rare because of the expense involved. For example, the USSR had discussed on numerous occasions converting the hulks of some of the Sovietsky Soyuz battleships, as well as the Kronstadt battlecruisers, and even their old imperatritsa Mariya (until her docking fees made it prohibitively expensive) to air craft carriers before, during, and after the war, but it was simply too expensive - it was ultimately cheaper just to build new given the requirements of (then) modern air craft carriers. The IJN did do a lot of conversion, but most of this conversion was done with the treaty in mind (that is to say most of the ships were designed to be easily converted into air craft carriers, but served some other function prior to the war).

Though the lack of ship upgrades/modernisations does somewhat screw over Japan players, since the Kongo, Ise, and Fuso class all stay at WWI-vintage levels when historically they went through major retrofits during the 30's. What's even worse is that thanks to the WNT of '22, the IJN's Mogami-class were all designed to be able to have their 3 x 155mm turrets switched out in favour of 2 x 203mm turrets to turn em from CLs into CAs. Stuff like this nerfs the IJN pretty bad.

I mean, it's really not much of a problem cause HoI3 is relatively easy to mod, either by getting a mod that includes those features or just adjusting the save files yourself.

Not every naval power signed or followed said treaties. Hell most of the open violations began occurring exactly within the frame of the earliest start date of the game. Not to mention other paper fleets people had dreamed up.
And? All I am claiming, is that the refurbishing of ships was done prior to game start date, and was done due to the Washington Naval treaty.

Hi,

I have read through the forums and I believe understood the mechanics behind upgrading ships (ie. what can and cannot be upgraded). However, I am confused on the exact way how to do it.

Do I have to move my ships to a port (annexed territory or home territory)? Because it seems to me, as if nothing really happens there. In a post on this forum I hhave read that upgrading ships works analogue to upgrading infantry (hitting the little wrench symbol). However, I the little wrench icon is not available when I dock my ships in an annexed port.

Am I missing here something?

Best regards

Mr N

If you modify the files in /tfh/technologies/naval_technologies you can change it. See below for example just change "can_upgrade = no" to a yes:

Code:
destroyer_armament = {
    destroyer = {
        sea_attack = 0.25
        convoy_attack = 0.5
    }

allow = {
        destroyer_technology = 1
    }

research_bonus_from = {
        naval_engineering = 0.3
        destroyer_practical = 0.6
        fleet_in_being_doctrine = 0.1
    }

on_completion = naval_engineering
    difficulty = 1
    start_year = 1918
    first_offset = 1934    #2nd model is from 1936
    additional_offset = 2    #one new every 2 year
    max_level = 12
    folder = smallship_folder
    can_upgrade = no
}

• 2Like
Reactions:
There are several mods which allow certain ships (notably several Japanese cruisers and several UK and Italian battleships) to be up-gunned, by deleting the original ship and placing the upgraded model in the production queue with only about a year remaining until completion. Such upgrades were done historically, but were far from common, and the game was designed without that possibility. Since this game has been out of development for quite a few years, unless you mod the game, it's not going to happen.

As for AA, radar, torpedoes, and ASW equipment, those can be upgraded slowly over time as long as you keep the Upgrades slider above 0.

Reactions: