How does the "Demand territory" option work? Explanation.

  • We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

filmaty98

Sergeant
42 Badges
Oct 18, 2015
91
375
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Magicka
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • For the Motherland
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II
Greetings everyone. Some time ago I've spent about an hour on small scale experiment which was aiming to explain how does the "Demand Territory" option work. Since I haven't found any reliable thread on forum nor any more detailed instructions in manual about variables which are taken into account while calculating whether targeted country will accept our demands or not, I decided to create a thread about results of my 'experiments' and post it here. Maybe some of you will find it usefull and it will help with modding or just during game. So here are the results:
  1. "Demand territory" option has a "chance cap" of 50%. 50% is the highest possible chance that targeted country will submit to our demands.
  2. The chance is unaffected by the number of provinces demanded from targeted country. We can demand 10 provinces or 1. It does not matter.
  3. The chance however is dependent on the fact, if submiting to our demands will result in total annexation of targeted country. If so, then we are getting "-40% modifier" to our "50% chance cap", and the new chance cap for demand of annexation equals 10%.
  4. The chance is affected by the number of divisions in your alliance vs targeted country alliance. I'm only not sure, if the type of divisions matter or it is only sheer numbers that matter. I do not have any confirmation that the IC accually is also taken into account while calculating the chance. The results of my experiments suggests that it is not. However I'm sure that number of divisions is calculated, and the number in whole alliances and not only your country vs. targeted country. Whole allinces.
  5. Ministes of Foreign affairs with 'Iron fist brute' traits giveus +30% bonus to the chance. It does not extend chance cap however! It gives only +30% bonus to the chance.
  6. Probably the most important out of all of these points - "claim acceptance" modifier softcoded in country files. The biggest pain in the... back. Since I was checking many countries' text files I was seeing values reaching from 0 down to -150, therefore I guess softcoders and modders were guessing that this modifier affects our chance of targeted country submiting to our demands, exaxtly the way the "Iron fist brute" minister modifier works. However to the horror of all of us - no.
    • the "claim acceptance" modifier accually and unfortunately affects "chance cap". Since The base chance cap equals 50%, any value of "claim acceptance" modifier below -49 means that targeted country WILL NEVER SUBMIT to our demands, because it woud mean either maximum possible chance equals 0 or being negative.

I was conducting my experiment on Kaiserreich mod. Therefore if some particular values of 'claim acceptance' or 'iron fist brute' does not fit with DH Full - that is why. Besides that, base chance cap and the way claim acceptance modifier works - both are hardcoded as far as I know, and they will work exactly the same way in base game as well in mods.

Hope anyone will find it useful. All the best lads.
 
  • 6Like
  • 5
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Thank you for the in-depth explanation! Regardless, this is why this never works in the game unless coded into the files of countries.
 
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Relevant goofy exploit info: Some events make the AI set to be very prone to demand territory from X country after claiming some or all of it, while X country also becomes very accepting of demanding territory. This obviously has the effect of This means you can demand All of Austria as the UK when that party member guy takes over power, and Germany is supposed to claim it all. (This is in wif2 mod, but I've seen it around)

Some modders have forgotten the claim acceptance modifier in their AI files for some countries, resulting in the ability of any country to annex any other country to simply asking, especially if, as explained in the OP, you do not demand the capital.

Some other mods have treated the feature quite in depth, with claim acceptance value in change multiple times relating to various events, and with the intention that certain countries should have a chance to claim certain provinces under certain conditions, however, there's no way that I know of in defining these provinces, making the feature pointless and better replaced by event commands that give Country Y an option to demand country X provinces, and country Y an option to accept or refuse. (Munich agreement in every mod I've played)

Thanks for the taking the time to experiment and to explain, OP, it was an interesting read.
 
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Greetings everyone. Some time ago I've spent about an hour on small scale experiment which was aiming to explain how does the "Demand Territory" option work. Since I haven't found any reliable thread on forum nor any more detailed instructions in manual about variables which are taken into account while calculating whether targeted country will accept our demands or not, I decided to create a thread about results of my 'experiments' and post it here. Maybe some of you will find it usefull and it will help with modding or just during game. So here are the results:
  1. "Demand territory" option has a "chance cap" of 50%. 50% is the highest possible chance that targeted country will submit to our demands.
  2. The chance is unaffected by the number of provinces demanded from targeted country. We can demand 10 provinces or 1. It does not matter.
  3. The chance however is dependent on the fact, if submiting to our demands will result in total annexation of targeted country. If so, then we are getting "-40% modifier" to our "50% chance cap", and the new chance cap for demand of annexation equals 10%.
  4. The chance is affected by the number of divisions in your alliance vs targeted country alliance. I'm only not sure, if the type of divisions matter or it is only sheer numbers that matter. I do not have any confirmation that the IC accually is also taken into account while calculating the chance. The results of my experiments suggests that it is not. However I'm sure that number of divisions is calculated, and the number in whole alliances and not only your country vs. targeted country. Whole allinces.
  5. Ministes of Foreign affairs with 'Iron fist brute' traits giveus +30% bonus to the chance. It does not extend chance cap however! It gives only +30% bonus to the chance.
  6. Probably the most important out of all of these points - "claim acceptance" modifier softcoded in country files. The biggest pain in the... back. Since I was checking many countries' text files I was seeing values reaching from 0 down to -150, therefore I guess softcoders and modders were guessing that this modifier affects our chance of targeted country submiting to our demands, exaxtly the way the "Iron fist brute" minister modifier works. However to the horror of all of us - no.
    • the "claim acceptance" modifier accually and unfortunately affects "chance cap". Since The base chance cap equals 50%, any value of "claim acceptance" modifier below -49 means that targeted country WILL NEVER SUBMIT to our demands, because it woud mean either maximum possible chance equals 0 or being negative.

I was conducting my experiment on Kaiserreich mod. Therefore if some particular values of 'claim acceptance' or 'iron fist brute' does not fit with DH Full - that is why. Besides that, base chance cap and the way claim acceptance modifier works - both are hardcoded as far as I know, and they will work exactly the same way in base game as well in mods.

Hope anyone will find it useful. All the best lads.
Forgive me if this question has an obvious answer, but which file did you search to find the softcoded modifier? Is it in the db folder for the base game?

Thanks for this fantastic explanation! You've done a great service to the community.
 
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Forgive me if this question has an obvious answer, but which file did you search to find the softcoded modifier? Is it in the db folder for the base game?

Thanks for this fantastic explanation! You've done a great service to the community.
The ones in the 'AI' folder. But just be aware, that not every country ai has this modifier, some of them - not, but majority - indeed.
 
  • 1Like
Reactions: