• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Same as all other tech victories, build three beacons (beacon of truth for celestian), light them, cast the game ending spell ("Final Revelation" for celestian), defend the beacons for ten turns. win.

Just cast the spell. There isn't a lighting event. You just have to build them, and keep them active.

I do think the celestian one is probably one of the strongest. It pulls population from enemy cities. They can't grow, and all non-allied units have permanent Soulburn. That can be insane.

I’m just beginning to explore all the techs.

I went full-lazy the first time playing the game by not reading anything.

I am a changed man now. By reading everything I start to see all the possibilities.

There’s so much depth to this game it’s insane!

Hey man, enjoy the hell out of this, this period is the most fascinating, where you start twisting the game's balance. You will quickly see that you turn from defense to offense in a crazy way. Keep me looped in on how the games go.

All secret techs victories work the same. Each one grants you a building that you need to build, not as a city improvement but as a structure on the world map. Each one of those increase the level of the secret tech Strategic Operation by one level. For example with the celestial tech you got the Light of Truth investigation that gives you the building, the Beacon of Truth, and the Strategic Operation, Declaration of Truth. Each beacon increase the level of the declaration by one. Each level increase the effect of that Strategic Operation. Yet that is only a Strategic Operation you use on enemies colony. The secret Tech victory comes from one of the final investigations that basically allows you to spread the Strategic Operation planetwide. On the case of Celestial Tech you need to investigate Ascension, which is a Doomsday Finisher Operation. It's the same than Declaration of Truth, but affects the whole planet, not colonies. To use it you need at least three Beacons to have the Strategic Operation level 3 and keep those three for ten turns once you start the doomsday weapon to brainwash everyones brains on light. Same with all the secret techs. Each one gives a Strategic Operation, a building that increases the level of that operation and a final planetwide doomsday weapon :)

Thanks for the awesome reply.

I think now that I’m a better player, I don’t think I’ll ever resort to a non-conquest victory. It’s too difficult to defend without conquering foe after foe and razing/absorbing their colonies along the way.

I don’t think I’ll ever resort to a non-conquest victory. It’s too difficult to defend without conquering foe after foe and razing/absorbing their colonies along the way.
No... it's not that. Sometimes it's actually easier by tech, it's just that you can't be passive - you have to constantly be moving.

The issue is that on the campaigns, 1) you can't win without conquest, 2) the computer is cheating like a champ, and 3) attacking the computer is the only way to keep the advantage. It's attack or lose.

But remember, there are instances you can actually win by tech WAY faster:

That was a turn 62 win with 11 AI opponents, on one team, at war with him, highest settings. There were some mitigating circumstances, but I imagine that he would have beaten whatever the computer had, no matter what, best possible circumstances. He knows exactly how the computer plays, and doesn't lose units to it. And we did it again, just to make sure it wasn't a fluke:

There is one level of strategy over where you are. That will allow you to make a lot of decisions on individual maps. You just broke through the biggest hurdle, which was using the ABC-style play persistently. From here, leveling up is in smaller steps, advantages are smaller, and individually harder.