how does ownership from conquest work?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

GrounchoVilla

Colonel
52 Badges
Nov 1, 2014
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
My Mexico spent tons of manpower and equipment capturing the Dominican Republic (losing a few divisions a long the way). When I finally beat it, the map switched from my green to my Haitian ally's brown.

I could kick Haiti out of my faction and absorb them - they only have a handful of divisions and needed me to save their ass against the DR. I've never kicked anyone out of my faction before so I dont know the mechanics or repercussions. But I do want to learn how the mechanic works for this!

My Mexico spent tons of manpower and equipment capturing the Dominican Republic (losing a few divisions a long the way). When I finally beat it, the map switched from my green to my Haitian ally's brown.

I could kick Haiti out of my faction and absorb them - they only have a handful of divisions and needed me to save their ass against the DR. I've never kicked anyone out of my faction before so I dont know the mechanics or repercussions. But I do want to learn how the mechanic works for this!

problem solved re haiti, i noticed their malus was that they didn't have any other occupied territory so I just gave them chunks of North Africa until they agreed to give me DR :p I didnt have to betray my ally after all
but the original question still stands, im not entirely sure why they got my gains in the DR in the first place

but the original question still stands, im not entirely sure why they got my gains in the DR in the first place

Did you invade from Haiti, or did you do a naval invasion? If you invade from another country, you expand that country's territory (unless they are a puppet). However, as far as I'm aware, you still get the occupation war score. If you did a naval invasion and it still went to Haiti, I'm not sure unless they managed to capture the majority of it, as when a country capitulates, it gives the states based off of VPs (as far as I can tell), so if Haiti managed to grab the VPs they would get the DR when they capitulated.

Reactions:
If they have a land border with the captured state and you don't, the state goes to them

Reactions:
Did you invade from Haiti, or did you do a naval invasion? If you invade from another country, you expand that country's territory (unless they are a puppet). However, as far as I'm aware, you still get the occupation war score. If you did a naval invasion and it still went to Haiti, I'm not sure unless they managed to capture the majority of it, as when a country capitulates, it gives the states based off of VPs (as far as I can tell), so if Haiti managed to grab the VPs they would get the DR when they capitulated.

I did a naval invasion (I did 4-5 before one stuck, losing a bunch of divisions in one that got stuck without a port), and then invaded from Haiti after I took their capitol (which I mistakenly thought would cause them to capitulate)

took their capitol (which I mistakenly thought would cause them to capitulate)
Countries capitulate after they've lost a certain percentage of their victory point sites. The capital usually has a hefty VP total, but that alone isn't enough to cause most countries to capitulate. Different countries have different levels of determination (and sometimes, those change over time with national spirits). VP mostly comes from cities, but there's also a small amount even for boring empty provinces -- usually not a significant part of the total.

When at war, you should be able to see an "explosion-exclamation point" icon in your top bar. It says "We are at war!" in the tooltip; I drew a red arrow pointing up at it in the screenshot below. Click on it, and you get a list of everyone in your current war. Each country has a little bar underneath the name. Hover over that bar (it's small) and a tooltip pops up with details on the capitulation progress. It's in percentages, rather than absolute numbers, so unless you know the total VP of a country, it's not always easy to know exactly how much that 5 VP city is going to do for you.

Untitled.png

Reactions: