• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Marty651

Sergeant
47 Badges
Jun 10, 2016
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Sign Up
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • March of the Eagles
  • Rome Gold
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
Even after searching through the forum and reading the Wiki I don't understand how army deployment works. I would appreciate if one of the experts could explain this. My basic question is:
I can manually assign "cohort types" to the three positions: First row, second row or flanks. But I have more than three types of cohorts. What about the others? And what about support units? I just don't get it...

so in the new patch armies are now split into 2 designations, levies and legions. levies you don't have control over the composition and is based on your culture (well the local dominant culture till the patch to fix the issue is released) you can still assign what troops you want to be in your primary, secondary and flank positions by clicking on the levies and assigning the troop type to where you want them. The primary unit will be placed in the centre, for example for most civilised nations west of India these will be archers by default. The secondary units will then be deployed next to them, heavy infantry will be the default in the example before. and finally flanking troops, typically cavalry due to their manoeuvre ( the more manoeuvre the more units across from them they can hit). if you have troops that you don't assign any of these positions, they will be filtered in when your troops start to deplete but they will be at a reduced moral so always best to put your best troops forward. legions are a little easier as you can choose what troops you use.
top tip, against ai -Primary (cavalry) - secondary (heavy infantry), flank (heavy infantry). it'll counter most ai unit compositions

The primary unit will be placed in the centre [...] The secondary units will then be deployed next to them [...] and finally flanking troops [...]. if you have troops that you don't assign any of these positions, they will be filtered in when your troops start to deplete [...].

Thank you for the explanations. I have now understood that I can only influence the deployment for three unit types. The others will be deployed according to the priority rules which are listed in the Wiki. And: If there is space the secondary units will be immediately deployed next to primary ones. I was always confused why I don't see a "second row" in the war screens.

For now I have only one further question: I have a legion army with 26 units. None of them are Light Cavalry. But the default deployment places Light Cavalry on the flanks - a unit type which doesn't exist in my army. Is that a bug?

Thank you for the explanations. I have now understood that I can only influence the deployment for three unit types. The others will be deployed according to the priority rules which are listed in the Wiki. And: If there is space the secondary units will be immediately deployed next to primary ones. I was always confused why I don't see a "second row" in the war screens.

For now I have only one further question: I have a legion army with 26 units. None of them are Light Cavalry. But the default deployment places Light Cavalry on the flanks - a unit type which doesn't exist in my army. Is that a bug?
Click on the light cavalry line on the flanks so you can replace it with another unity

• 1Like
Reactions: