• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

MacGowan

AAR Author
2 Badges
Sep 10, 2008
  • Stellaris
  • Darkest Hour
Hey guys, I'm posting this here since the Multiplayer Forum is dead.

For a good chunk of years people playing DH Multiplayer Hour have been using GameRanger, or Hamachi, but now it seems those are outdated, and barely work.

I also hear that playing through Direct IP is not viable on DH. But that a new patch in Arsenal Of Democracy has made their MP game run smoothly.

• So here's my question. in 2019/2020, how do you play Darkest Hour on Multiplayer with your friends? Is it even possible anymore?

Get on discord for several hubs specifically for DH multiplayer and Gameranger is still viable, but that alone isn't enough to get organized. Discord has really proven to be adequate and convenient to hook up for timetables on organizing matches. I suppose you can "search" for Darkest Hour hubs on Discord.

Thank you for your reply :) Organising a game isn't really the issue, it's the actual connecting and hosting.

And as I said GameRanger seems to no longer work well with DH. How long is it since you tested GameRanger? It hasn't been updated in 2 years.

This summer we first time tried to play a big 5 vs 5 game by Gameranger (before, we 10 years played our big games by direct IP only, but not everyone have direct IP).
It was real hell! Endless lags, dissynchronizations and restarts! Almost complete inability to play! :mad:

So we moved to 'Radmin' VPN program.
And we had no one technical restart or technology crash or other problems!
So now we will play by Radmin, it's excellent, Gameranger is good only to hunting and recruiting of noobs to our Discord there :D

Join us!
Play DH multiplayer! :)
https://discord.gg/sP7rHmg

Agreeing with Dr Intolerance. I would like to know how to search for more darkest hour mp groups on discord, but some groups have found me; and with voicechat, I think you really get to meet people and form friendships. Our group is now large enough for a 2nd game now. While I like big games, I think 9 is the maximum. That's 3 players per side for 3 alliances. More than that is difficult for gr or any vpn i would imagine.

My personal opinion is that the optimal mp would start with 6 Ger, It, Jap and UK, Fr, and Chi. After Poland is annexed USSR can be manned. After France Falls, USA can be manned, perhaps by the player who had France.. You can start in 33-39 with this. The USA and USSR may be slightly disadvantaged, but this will keep the game more historic. It's just a thought.