• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

PaperDuplighost

Recruit
Sep 2, 2020
I've been working on a new class mod - I've implemented every unit and class building mechanically, though they still need balancing, and I've plotted out all the spells and empire upgrades. Right now, the big roadblock is art. I can do most of what I want to do with retexturing, which I can do just fine, but the mod won't be remotely publishable unless I can get at least one new model into the game.

Problem is, I have no idea how to do that. I've successfully done the skeleton-binding and weight-painting, but the modern Maya/Blender options for exporting into the .dae format are wildly different from anything in the old guides I've found, and I get import errors or hopelessly-broken animations no matter what settings I try.

Are there any modders here who could explain their model-importing workflow, or maybe point me to a more up-to-date guide? It would be much appreciated.

From the mod guide I managed to add a Camel model with broken rig at least. However when exporting I looked at similiarities and exported with Maya 2020. Many of the options are same or renamed.

But it's little guessing.

1599068437386.png

Maybe some options from modding planetfall also applies for "OLD AOW 3" through Maya.

Thanks a ton. I've had less luck with my guessing. I can import it from Maya into Blender with things mostly intact, but I get a "0 items imported" message whenever I try to import into the content editor. Could I ask you to share your own Maya settings?

The Planetfall guide has way more in common with the old AoW 3 exporter than it does with Maya 2020's option. Do you download a plugin for Collada, or do you use the DAE_FBX exporter that comes with Maya 2020? My sense from Googling around was that Collada stopped supporting their plugin.

Also. This is one of the few artists who made a video about it. Of course, it's older Maya. I used it as a reference.

I mostly failed due on my model due using a "High poly character" and did not manage it on time convert it to a low poly model. It took 5 minutes to import in content editor

I gave that package a go a couple days ago, but I couldn't find some of the plugin documents it said I had to paste, so I wrote it off as a dead end. Maybe I need to try harder.

I think you're right that that is my best bet. I am trying to import into meshes, and I could get it to work in Blender, though it totally mangled the skeleton. Thanks again.

You can probably send LibertyValance as pm here. Look in Planetfall user mod for the Hopper race and Colonial race mods to find him. He probably knows correct settings.

It's still probably a month or three out from release (I can indeed import models now! Woohoo!), but it'll definitely be on the Steam Workshop when it is. Probably also NexusMods once the first round of bugs are ironed out.