How do you break France as Germany?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
And auto fail. Still cant get through belgium despite producing 15 factories for fighters from the beginning and tanks and artillery. Only had 5 factories on guns until 1939 Waited to do belgium until Netherlands fell, but the way that they fell had it so Belgium was blocked off on two tiles by the capitulated netherlands, so they were reinforced by the French and belgium within days. No time to actually barrel through into Paris. France was waiting within a days march.

Sigh.

Anyone else have any good strategies for this? Cause this was a compelte fail lol

Even made some super infantry for a good push since I had the guns and arty for it... but can't break through.

So could still use some help!

And literally got overrun by the french within a month. Broke through my large width infantry like butter.

Ok, I have another suggestion for you, tailored to be an easy playable way to knock out France:

• Produce only Mils from day 1. No civs, no refs, nothing. Only Mils
  • Get an Army Command Guy to have daily army xp
  • With this XP Modify your Light Tank Division to this:
1658737214796.png

• Produce 48 of this Tank divisions and 96 Infantry divisions. This is easy doable with all the Mils you get.
  • Just did a testrun had 140 MILs by mid 1939 and 18k Light Tanks too much.
  • Declare war on Ned, Bel, Lux at same time
  • Put the 48 Light Tanks at a frontline and press play.
  • Easy win
  • No Air needed at all.
  • Nothing fancy to research, (use the start light tanks) no agency, no spanish civil war no volunteers, no lend lease, no attachees,...
  • I had enough PP to get Halder, Schörner, Rommel, Guderian and Rundstedt as Advisors but it should work without

• 2Like
Reactions:
As for a saved game ,I already deleted that game and moved to another one. When my army got encircled, I just quit and deleted. And my only tank designs were what was given from the start. I didn't have the army exp as im focused on my infantry to actually do anything.
What the ****
You are asked to post a savegame from the beginning and you quit and deleted it?
Why? Is your PC out of HDD? plug in a USB Stick...omg

Cant focus on everything without neglecting something lol.
The whole concept of focusing is to pick the techs you want and neglecting something else that you dont want.

I just cant figure out whats going on and obviously, no one seems to be able to tell me whats going wrong since im doing everything im told here to do.

Think imma just give up at this point until I can do a co-op game with someone who can actually pinpoint my problems. Screenshots only go so far.
You never once post a single screenshot or a savegame so that someone could help. So don't expect that someone take time out of their day and match it to your timetable to help you out when you do nothing from what you were asked.

If you get beaten from france there has to be a fundamental problem nothing that a template or something minor could fix.

• 6Like
Reactions:
I was struggling for a few games with France when NSB came out. One bit of advice I got that worked a lot is that the narrow front leads to supply problems --
- you don't need to put your entire army in Belgium
- upgrade the rail lines that go from Germany into Belgium

Reactions:
Alright, decided to try another game and figure out whats going on.

Its 1940 and still cant break through belgium. Airpower isn't horrible but its yellow and not green.

Dunno what to do with this game here. I cannot tell what the problem is with my germany games. Is it my templates? Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• Ironman German Reich 1.hoi4
    21,6 MB · Views: 0

Its 1940 and still cant break through belgium. Airpower isn't horrible but its yellow and not green.

Dunno what to do with this game here. I cannot tell what the problem is with my germany games. Is it my templates? Thanks for any help.
I haven't looked at the save yet, but I love how I can't play it without a warning first due to not having the "HoI4 Taco Bell Start Sound" mod among many others.

• 5Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I looked at, I didn't have any trouble with air superiority in the Benelux (and then Northern France). Altho in the future you should definitely upgrade your fighters (primarily engine and range). Upgrading them will also apply the bonus from your design company (which wasn't applied since Germany starts with Fighter Is unlocked). Also you should def have been researching Fighter II already.

I didn't really mess around with anything besides clicking a couple doctrines and switching the air force spirit to centralized control (increases mission efficiency, which is good for literally everything). Brought the three tank divisions back from Africa, and put all panzers under Rommel (your best panzer general). I kicked those 9/3s off to a fallback line bc they're not really doing anything but eating supply, and didn't really have any trouble knocking out Luxembourg, encircling a few divs in Belgium (which capped when I closed the pocket), then rushing into France. All you need to do is race down the coast, which is all plains and full of ports that give you instant supply, to get a few VPs then cut across to Paris. The AI will just be scrambling to move divisions around so you can hit them un-entrenched and often deorged from strat redeploying.

Reactions:
Looking at the save now, will list things that could/should be changed as I find them.

Political:

Your military command is very suspect. You hired the CAS expertand the naval AA expert. The CAS expert is bugged and doesn't work, and the naval AA expert is nearly useless and not worth the high command slot. I would hire the army regrouping expert and the infantry expert to go with Rommel, alternatively I would grind up a general with the combined arms expert trait and hire him to your cabinet as a combined arms expert over the regrouping expert. This will maximize the bonuses you can get on your tank divisions. I also would have hired Krupp and Opel by this point if not also the raiding fleet designer. Where did you spend all of your political power this game?

Industry:

You have line AA in one of your infantry templates and double motorized AA in each of your tank templates. You already have support AA in every division, you don't need line AA too. Support AA does 99% of the work by itself, the extra is more or less wasted investment for infantry. It's fine in the tank templates if you're losing the air, but you're winning the air war so you don't need it this early in the war. You also have 15 factories devoted to AA production as Germany to supply all of this, I'd drop that down to 2-5 factories at most, freeing up at least 10 factories for something else. You have over 5k surplus AA guns, you don't need that many factories on them.

You have 15 factories on guns, with almost 80k surplus. You don't need that many factories on guns, especially not with such a massive surplus. I'd drop that down to 5 if not 1. You get so many guns from countries you capitulate, and when you take France you'll have even more. 14 factories could be saved here.

You have 15 factories on artillery with over 2k surplus. Same as above, I would drop that down to 5 at most, but likely only 1 or two. You have some big divisions with 3x line artillery, I don't build anything like that and save on artillery as a result. I pretty much only push with tanks and never use offensive infantry aside from marines. And even in that circumstance, tanks with amtracs instead of mechanized or amphibious tanks do a better job. That's another 10 factories saved at minimum.

You have 5 factories on trains, which in this save I can't really complain about because you're actually at a bit of a shortage of trains, but I don't know how you got to this point unless you've been logistic bombed a lot. I usually am fine with only one factory on trains as I keep air superiority and don't lose trains to bombing. But in a normal game I would save another 4 factories here.

You have 5 factories on light tanks. I wouldn't bother producing them with more than 1 factory, and only for garrison purposes and maybe light tank recon. Drop this down to 1 or 0 and save the factories. I would also drop the light tank divisions entirely, or just keep the starting ones around until you run out of tanks, then consolidate them and eventually convert them to mediums as you run out of lights.

You have 5 factories on trucks with a 2.2k surplus, I would drop that down to 1 or 2 factories, saving another 3-4.

You have 7 factories on tactical bombers and CAS, I would pick one and produce that. For Germany I would probably choose CAS since the air regions are smaller in Europe. Drop the TAC production altogether unless you want to logistics strike deep into Russia. I'd bump CAS production up to 15 if you're winning the air war, drop it down to 5 if the air war is even, or drop CAS altogether in favor of fighters if you're losing the air war. In multiplayer CAS isn't really that great to begin with since everyone will have AA so just producing fighters and naval bombers is better, but CAS can be very useful in single player.

I'm seeing at least 46 military factories that could be saved and put onto planes and medium tanks, potentially up to 53 more. And that's just with the industry you already have, you could probably have more mils than that with optimal construction.

You currently have 25 factories on fighters and 20 on medium tanks. I would buff that up to 50 on each to start with.

Army:

You still have 8 unedited divisions that you got from Austria in the Anschluss. The templates are bad, you should either convert them into your normal infantry template or disband them to get the equipment and manpower back.

Your tank divisions are 38 combat width, and your offensive infantry is 28w including the line AA. That's not particularly good. 38 is one of the worst widths according to this chart (though I'm not entirely sure if the chart is perfect, @Corpse Fool is probably the person to ask about combat width). You ideally want widths that divide up well into 80, 84, and 90w combats without taking too many penalties. That covers plains, hills, and mountains, the most common terrain types. I would bump your tanks up to 42w and drop the line AA in the infantry to make them 27w which is a pretty solid width.

You have 3 of your light tank divisions in Africa before France has fallen. Your tanks in Africa are all also very low strength, which tells me they were convoy raided on the way there and lost most of their strength. I would not send any tanks to Africa until after France falls (so that I can take France out faster), and put a few infantry divisions down there before the war starts to convert into tanks later so that they can't be convoy raided.

You only have six light tank divisions and one medium tank division in January 1940. You can get by with just a few tanks, but it's best (and entirely possible) to have at least 5 medium or heavy tank divisions by the start of the war. This would be more easily accomplished if you didn't have so many factories on equipment for infantry divisions.

Your medium tank design is very bad. You're using the medium howitzer which is fine in single player, but almost everything else about the tank is wrong. I wouldn't run extra ammo storage, wet ammo storage, or armor skirts in the special module slots. Instead I would go for sloped armor, extra machine guns, and stabilizers, which you don't have unlocked but should by this point. Swap out the cast armor for welded or riveted, it's not worth making the tank 20% more expensive. Get a Christie suspension and gasoline engine, not interleaved roadwheels and diesel. I would go for riveted armor and drop the engine and armor down to bring your tank up from 6 kph max speed to 10. That way it can keep up with mechanized 2 once you research it, while bringing the cost per tank down from 20.6 all the way to 14. Your tanks are expensive and slow, cheap and fast is better, even if they have a bit less armor. Sloped armor by itself adds more armor and less cost than going from welded to cast, so if you're that attached to having high armor, just add sloped armor to welded. Never go cast armor, +20% cost is just too much.

This is what my design using your tech would look like:
1659317536425.png

Lastly, you're not using the best generals for the job. Pick a general that has inflexible strategist and promote him to be field marshal for your defensive infantry armies. This unlocks the Inflexible Strategist trait for +10% defense. For your tank generals, pick generals that start level 1 with some combination of armor officer, brilliant strategist, and cautious and grind them in the Spanish Civil War to get general traits. Prioritize getting any two terrain traits for adaptable, getting one combined arms expert, and getting trickster for access to the makeshift bridges ability. If you don't want to grind, just pick Manstein, Guderian, or Rommel since they're your best starting tank generals.

Air:
You have the light air designer but you haven't researched a single airplane making it a complete waste. It's January 1940 and you're still producing base, non-upgraded 1936 fighters. Research 1940 fighters as soon as you can, you should have had them for at least a year by now and even if you don't want to be researching ahead of time for some reason they should at the very least be in the research queue since it's already 1940. You also didn't upgrade your 1936 fighters at all. If you're not researching fighter 2, you absolutely must upgrade your fighter 1s. Get +5 engine, then +5 range, then +5 weapon. +5 engine by itself is good enough to dominate the AI. Reliability doesn't matter on fighters, accident losses are negligible if you're only flying air superiority in combat zones and letting them be on interception otherwise. You have 500 air exp you're just sitting on, meaning every exp point you gain is being wasted while you're at the cap.

Navy:
You have a battleship still in production and the rest of your dockyards are idle. I would scrap all starting naval production except for the destroyers and submarines, make a submarine design that has as many torpedoes as possible, and only produce those if you're wanting a low-effort navy build.

Spirits:
Swap meticulous preparation for either ideological loyalty for free +15 stability, or bold attack for stronger tank generals. Motorization drive is fine but useless if you edit an infantry template into tanks to keep veterancy, so don't take it if you end up doing that strategy in the future. Maneuver warfare is fine.

For naval spirits, you should exercise your fleet in the early game to pick spirits - you want to have flexible contracts to save 120PP on your naval designer, and integrated designers for the research speed bonus to navy. I would take instilled aggression to increase your attack. Lastly, night fighting is the best naval spirit for combat, so take it.

For air spirits, you want industry liasons to research faster and centralized control to buff your fighters' stats.

One other thing - I see you have radar researched but haven't actually built any. Make sure to build radar up on the western border of Germany before the war starts to help win the air war.

Research and Focuses:
You have a bunch of infantry techs researched. You don't really need to research guns or support weapons, just invest everything ground-based into research that benefits tanks. You don't have 1939 engineer companies researched, you absolutely need to keep engineer tech as modern as you can. The terrain bonuses and entrenchment is too important. You also should have researched mechanized by now to give your motorized hardness and be on your way to researching mechanized 2 with the bonuses you get. You haven't done army innovations 2 yet either, make sure to do that focus sooner so you can start rushing mechanized, and then use the bonus you get from Operation Weserubung to research amtracs.

For the artillery tree, you really don't need to research better AA guns until later. most of the benefits from AA can be gained with just level 1 support AA. Germany wins the early air war so it doesn't need better AA on its tanks until D-Day, and that's in multiplayer. In single player, research investment into AA past the first one is a waste.

For navy, you haven't researched 1940 submarines yet. I would have done that before now with the bonuses you get from your focus tree. The naval focuses are short and easy to fit in before the war starts, and you haven't done them yet. You can get torpedo techs later, but you should be getting at least the 1940 submarine hull by 1940.

For air, you just haven't researched anything at all like I mentioned earlier. Get fighter 2s as fast as possible, and also research 1940 CAS and NAV at some point ideally by 1940.

Electronics - please, please, get 1940 computing tech as soon as you can. You haven't even started researching it yet and it's January 1940 already. At the latest you should be researching it by July or August 1939.

Industry - use the bonuses you get from 4YP on either 1939 tools and dispersed industry, or on 1939 tools and construction Just include tools. Tools is good to have earlier since increasing your production efficiency cap will let you start building efficiency faster and sooner, and is a bigger relative boost than what you get from one level of industry.

You don't really need to go for the synthetic fuel techs since refineries have a rather pathetic base amount of fuel. Even with max refining techs, every refinery you build will give you as much fuel as a whole 2.5 units of oil. It's just not worth all the time spent researching them. Each tech gives the equivalent of an extra 0.5 oil per refinery. Sure, it all adds up, but I would rather use the research on something else.

Speaking of your oil situation, you're buying from the USA at 33% naval route efficiency. Trade from Romania and Iran first, I'm begging you. Don't trade over sea while you're at war, and always trade with your potential allies before trading with future enemies.

For focuses: You didn't do army innovations 2, didn't do your naval focuses down to u boat effort, and didn't do a war economy focus. Either you should have already done German war economy for the six free factories, or you should wait until Hungary and Romania join the Axis and then Integrate War Economies. I can't tell from the save if you did the focus or bypassed it, but You should never do the Align Hungary/Romania focuses and always just bypass them if you plan to integrate war economies. But unless you're willing to use world tension exploits you're waiting until mid-late 1940 to have Romania join the Axis so I'd probably just take German war economy to get the factories sooner.

To get the focuses I mentioned, I would save coal liquidization and synthetic rubber for later, and not take air innovations I or II until later. Instead, do army innovations 2, German war economy, naval rearmament, naval effort, and U-Boat effort.

There's another benefit to saving coal liquidization for later - you get a 300% bonus that is best used on an ahead of time tech. I usually wait until I have finished 1941 synthetic rubber and use the bonus on the 1943 rubber tech. The synthetic rubber techs aren't very expensive, it's pretty easy to finish 1941 rubber in mid 1940 and then research the last one with the bonus. Rushing 1943 rubber also lets you build fewer refineries and invest more into building military factories and aircraft before Barbarossa.
-------------

That's basically it. In terms of micro, you have what looks like a spearhead made up of infantry, it should always be the tanks leading the charge. Your save looks very salvageable, you can fix a lot of things just by reallocating resources you already have more optimally and redesigning your tanks and divisions.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Less than being perfect, I'd say it's a bad chart. For some reason they decided to square the penalty, which can give some very different results than what we would see in game.
Yeah I thought it looked weird... there are also a lot of ways you can generate these charts, like weighting by # of provinces with each terrain type vs. not and such, or looking at widths with +1/2/etc. directions of expanded width.

I can't open it because lack of Bosphorus DLC, how many troops, most of game problems can be solved with 3 million troops, and if not, 6 mil. France can get 1.4 mil troop quick, so make sure to outnumber them. As Germany you should have 160w of tank divisions, to attack simultaneously on 2 provinces. If you don't, then puss the infantry into attack, some extra infantry is better than nothing, I learn that from the AI!

I haven't looked at the save yet, but I love how I can't play it without a warning first due to not having the "HoI4 Taco Bell Start Sound" mod among many others.

I didn't think you had to have these mods in order to use my save. Since it's all iron man compatible and non checksum. But yea I laugh and enjoy the taco bell sound when I start. Lol

I'll respond to the other posts later this evening after work.

I didn't think you had to have these mods in order to use my save. Since it's all iron man compatible and non checksum. But yea I laugh and enjoy the taco bell sound when I start. Lol

I'll respond to the other posts later this evening after work.
You don't, none of them change the checksum. But you still get a warning when you try to play it.

Looking at the save now, will list things that could/should be changed as I find them.

Political:

Your military command is very suspect. You hired the CAS expertand the naval AA expert. The CAS expert is bugged and doesn't work, and the naval AA expert is nearly useless and not worth the high command slot. I would hire the army regrouping expert and the infantry expert to go with Rommel, alternatively I would grind up a general with the combined arms expert trait and hire him to your cabinet as a combined arms expert over the regrouping expert. This will maximize the bonuses you can get on your tank divisions. I also would have hired Krupp and Opel by this point if not also the raiding fleet designer. Where did you spend all of your political power this game?
I cant recall where I spent it all, but at least 200 was spent on Attaches to both Japan and Spain. I probably wont send it to spain again as they aren't getting as much as I want. Japan will still receive one.

As for my military command, I didn't know CAS is bugged, so I might replace with the infantry command. As for naval command, I want to have one of the two naval commands as my future goals for my games is full on naval warfare, Plan Z. That is my goal. Its what I enjoy, so I want to shoot for that. So Its either the AA attack or the Naval Range. Which one is better?

Industry:

You have line AA in one of your infantry templates and double motorized AA in each of your tank templates. You already have support AA in every division, you don't need line AA too. Support AA does 99% of the work by itself, the extra is more or less wasted investment for infantry. It's fine in the tank templates if you're losing the air, but you're winning the air war so you don't need it this early in the war. You also have 15 factories devoted to AA production as Germany to supply all of this, I'd drop that down to 2-5 factories at most, freeing up at least 10 factories for something else. You have over 5k surplus AA guns, you don't need that many factories on them.
Okay so you dont need to raise your Air attack to 30ish? Feedback was talking that 30ish Air attack is fantastic.

You have 15 factories on guns, with almost 80k surplus. You don't need that many factories on guns, especially not with such a massive surplus. I'd drop that down to 5 if not 1. You get so many guns from countries you capitulate, and when you take France you'll have even more. 14 factories could be saved here.
Early game, since I shoot for Aunschuluss asap in 1937. So I could probably change production once Aunschluss is done. That would work yea? I pump out divisions very quickly.
You have 15 factories on artillery with over 2k surplus. Same as above, I would drop that down to 5 at most, but likely only 1 or two. You have some big divisions with 3x line artillery, I don't build anything like that and save on artillery as a result. I pretty much only push with tanks and never use offensive infantry aside from marines. And even in that circumstance, tanks with amtracs instead of mechanized or amphibious tanks do a better job. That's another 10 factories saved at minimum.
Artillery is very expensive and my divisions tend to take up alot of artillery. I dont wanna risk not having enough and it seems to be an issue for me. I also like having attacking infantry, which I will talk about later.

You have 5 factories on trains, which in this save I can't really complain about because you're actually at a bit of a shortage of trains, but I don't know how you got to this point unless you've been logistic bombed a lot. I usually am fine with only one factory on trains as I keep air superiority and don't lose trains to bombing. But in a normal game I would save another 4 factories here.
Cause im a dummy and forgot to build trains until about 6months before war. :D

You have 5 factories on light tanks. I wouldn't bother producing them with more than 1 factory, and only for garrison purposes and maybe light tank recon. Drop this down to 1 or 0 and save the factories. I would also drop the light tank divisions entirely, or just keep the starting ones around until you run out of tanks, then consolidate them and eventually convert them to mediums as you run out of lights.
Light tanks are bad or something?
You have 5 factories on trucks with a 2.2k surplus, I would drop that down to 1 or 2 factories, saving another 3-4.
Eventually I'll be putting alot of motorized support companies on, so I like my surplus. Plus I get logistic bombed alot. So I'd like to keep my factories on trucks.

You have 7 factories on tactical bombers and CAS, I would pick one and produce that. For Germany I would probably choose CAS since the air regions are smaller in Europe. Drop the TAC production altogether unless you want to logistics strike deep into Russia. I'd bump CAS production up to 15 if you're winning the air war, drop it down to 5 if the air war is even, or drop CAS altogether in favor of fighters if you're losing the air war. In multiplayer CAS isn't really that great to begin with since everyone will have AA so just producing fighters and naval bombers is better, but CAS can be very useful in single player.
I like to keep tac production because I wanna logistic strike everywhere. It just feel right.
Army:

You still have 8 unedited divisions that you got from Austria in the Anschluss. The templates are bad, you should either convert them into your normal infantry template or disband them to get the equipment and manpower back.
This was an oopsie on my part. I forgot to do so.
Your tank divisions are 38 combat width, and your offensive infantry is 28w including the line AA. That's not particularly good. 38 is one of the worst widths according to this chart (though I'm not entirely sure if the chart is perfect, @Corpse Fool is probably the person to ask about combat width). You ideally want widths that divide up well into 80, 84, and 90w combats without taking too many penalties. That covers plains, hills, and mountains, the most common terrain types. I would bump your tanks up to 42w and drop the line AA in the infantry to make them 27w which is a pretty solid width.
Okay so these are the best widths right now and are meta? Got it. I will trust in you and Feedback.

You have 3 of your light tank divisions in Africa before France has fallen. Your tanks in Africa are all also very low strength, which tells me they were convoy raided on the way there and lost most of their strength. I would not send any tanks to Africa until after France falls (so that I can take France out faster), and put a few infantry divisions down there before the war starts to convert into tanks later so that they can't be convoy raided.
Plan was to push through Africa while at war with France, and grab Egypt before they can reinforce. Britain reinforces the crap out Africa when France falls. I just was stupid and didn't build a logistics hub until way too late.
You only have six light tank divisions and one medium tank division in January 1940. You can get by with just a few tanks, but it's best (and entirely possible) to have at least 5 medium or heavy tank divisions by the start of the war. This would be more easily accomplished if you didn't have so many factories on equipment for infantry divisions.
Yea I produced mediums way too late and I admit to this failure.
Your medium tank design is very bad. You're using the medium howitzer which is fine in single player, but almost everything else about the tank is wrong. I wouldn't run extra ammo storage, wet ammo storage, or armor skirts in the special module slots. Instead I would go for sloped armor, extra machine guns, and stabilizers, which you don't have unlocked but should by this point. Swap out the cast armor for welded or riveted, it's not worth making the tank 20% more expensive. Get a Christie suspension and gasoline engine, not interleaved roadwheels and diesel. I would go for riveted armor and drop the engine and armor down to bring your tank up from 6 kph max speed to 10. That way it can keep up with mechanized 2 once you research it, while bringing the cost per tank down from 20.6 all the way to 14. Your tanks are expensive and slow, cheap and fast is better, even if they have a bit less armor. Sloped armor by itself adds more armor and less cost than going from welded to cast, so if you're that attached to having high armor, just add sloped armor to welded. Never go cast armor, +20% cost is just too much.
I go for as much breakthrough and armor as I can though I wont use Sloped armor until I get panthers. Just a historical preference thing.

But I will look into this some more.
This is what my design using your tech would look like:
View attachment 865065
Lastly, you're not using the best generals for the job. Pick a general that has inflexible strategist and promote him to be field marshal for your defensive infantry armies. This unlocks the Inflexible Strategist trait for +10% defense. For your tank generals, pick generals that start level 1 with some combination of armor officer, brilliant strategist, and cautious and grind them in the Spanish Civil War to get general traits. Prioritize getting any two terrain traits for adaptable, getting one combined arms expert, and getting trickster for access to the makeshift bridges ability. If you don't want to grind, just pick Manstein, Guderian, or Rommel since they're your best starting tank generals.
So dont ever use manstein, Gud or Rommel and just use some cheapy ones that come normal? Eh. I dont really grind the SCW. I believe they made it more dififcult to do it anyway and its not worth it imo. Appreciate the advice however!

Air:
You have the light air designer but you haven't researched a single airplane making it a complete waste. It's January 1940 and you're still producing base, non-upgraded 1936 fighters. Research 1940 fighters as soon as you can, you should have had them for at least a year by now and even if you don't want to be researching ahead of time for some reason they should at the very least be in the research queue since it's already 1940. You also didn't upgrade your 1936 fighters at all. If you're not researching fighter 2, you absolutely must upgrade your fighter 1s. Get +5 engine, then +5 range, then +5 weapon. +5 engine by itself is good enough to dominate the AI. Reliability doesn't matter on fighters, accident losses are negligible if you're only flying air superiority in combat zones and letting them be on interception otherwise. You have 500 air exp you're just sitting on, meaning every exp point you gain is being wasted while you're at the cap.
This was on me. i dont wanna research fighter 2's just off the back but you are absolutely right I should have researched earlier. But just in case I dont, if I use the fighters designer and then upgrade the fighter 1's. the upgraded fighter 1's get the upgrade?

Navy:
You have a battleship still in production and the rest of your dockyards are idle. I would scrap all starting naval production except for the destroyers and submarines, make a submarine design that has as many torpedoes as possible, and only produce those if you're wanting a low-effort navy build.
I dont really play the sub spam. Future is Plan Z. Will keep it in mind to produce more subs though until Plan Z.
Spirits:
Swap meticulous preparation for either ideological loyalty for free +15 stability, or bold attack for stronger tank generals. Motorization drive is fine but useless if you edit an infantry template into tanks to keep veterancy, so don't take it if you end up doing that strategy in the future. Maneuver warfare is fine.

For naval spirits, you should exercise your fleet in the early game to pick spirits - you want to have flexible contracts to save 120PP on your naval designer, and integrated designers for the research speed bonus to navy. I would take instilled aggression to increase your attack. Lastly, night fighting is the best naval spirit for combat, so take it.

For air spirits, you want industry liasons to research faster and centralized control to buff your fighters' stats.

One other thing - I see you have radar researched but haven't actually built any. Make sure to build radar up on the western border of Germany before the war starts to help win the air war.

Ill have to take a look at the spirits to see what you're talkign about. I'll respond to this later if possible.
Research and Focuses:
You have a bunch of infantry techs researched. You don't really need to research guns or support weapons, just invest everything ground-based into research that benefits tanks. You don't have 1939 engineer companies researched, you absolutely need to keep engineer tech as modern as you can. The terrain bonuses and entrenchment is too important. You also should have researched mechanized by now to give your motorized hardness and be on your way to researching mechanized 2 with the bonuses you get. You haven't done army innovations 2 yet either, make sure to do that focus sooner so you can start rushing mechanized, and then use the bonus you get from Operation Weserubung to research amtracs.
IIRC, mechanized is 1940/41 tech right? I wont research that too early but I could be mistaken on this. As for infantry techs, I plan to play with a combo of Infantry and tanks.
For the artillery tree, you really don't need to research better AA guns until later. most of the benefits from AA can be gained with just level 1 support AA. Germany wins the early air war so it doesn't need better AA on its tanks until D-Day, and that's in multiplayer. In single player, research investment into AA past the first one is a waste.
So the support AA doesn't get that much benefit from better AA?

You don't really need to go for the synthetic fuel techs since refineries have a rather pathetic base amount of fuel. Even with max refining techs, every refinery you build will give you as much fuel as a whole 2.5 units of oil. It's just not worth all the time spent researching them. Each tech gives the equivalent of an extra 0.5 oil per refinery. Sure, it all adds up, but I would rather use the research on something else.

How else do you maintain oil since you go through it like crack with air and tanks? Refinerys seem to be the only way. Not enough comes through Romania and Iran.
Speaking of your oil situation, you're buying from the USA at 33% naval route efficiency. Trade from Romania and Iran first, I'm begging you. Don't trade over sea while you're at war, and always trade with your potential allies before trading with future enemies.
Yea I made a mistake. I bought from USA so i can quickly restock after my wars in Spain and Japan. I helped Japan win with volunteers. Or at least get closer. Oops.

For focuses: You didn't do army innovations 2, didn't do your naval focuses down to u boat effort, and didn't do a war economy focus. Either you should have already done German war economy for the six free factories, or you should wait until Hungary and Romania join the Axis and then Integrate War Economies. I can't tell from the save if you did the focus or bypassed it, but You should never do the Align Hungary/Romania focuses and always just bypass them if you plan to integrate war economies. But unless you're willing to use world tension exploits you're waiting until mid-late 1940 to have Romania join the Axis so I'd probably just take German war economy to get the factories sooner.
Army inovations 2 would be later when I am going for Panthers and my Heavy Tanks... though I didn't research my heavies so oops. I would have done that sooner.
As for War Economy vs Integrate. My plan was for a later integrate for puppetry. Cant trust the AI otherwise.

Another failed game. Did slightly better but still cant break belgium or france. I run out of supply going around belgium and along the coast lines. No matter if I have actual railways, I cant get any supply through. I have a ton of air, that I can contest in Netherlandsa nd belgium, while keeping France occupied, but still unable to break through. Supply is killer. So, what is the new strategy as it seems that going around the maginot on the coastt is a dead end?

my templates are good, my tanks are good... but I cant do anything in terms of a push or a puncture.

I think I need a more powerful infantry template to actually do pushing, so does nayone have a solid attacking infantry template?

Attachments

• Ironman German Reich 2.hoi4
    21,1 MB · Views: 0
Literally all I had to do to turn that around was click on the english channel and hit "block" to force supply to travel by land and nearly all supply problems went away. Supply by sea is broken in several ways.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Literally all I had to do to turn that around was click on the english channel and hit "block" to force supply to travel by land and nearly all supply problems went away. Supply by sea is broken in several ways.

Are you serious? The supply is going through the SEA?! I HAD RAILROADS. Are you telling me that was the one thing making it impossible to break through, is that supply is bonkers?

Yep, naval bases can support 25 supply always, but but level 1 and 2 railroads only support 15 and 20 respectively, so the game will "helpfully" route supply through naval bases instead of railroads unless you manually block it.

Also, don't send troops through sea zones you don't have naval superiority in. I think french subs killed 100k men you were trying to move to africa. Either move troops before the war or after you call Italy, never in between.

Reactions:
Yep, naval bases can support 25 supply always, but but level 1 and 2 railroads only support 15 and 20 respectively, so the game will "helpfully" route supply through naval bases instead of railroads unless you manually block it.

Also, don't send troops through sea zones you don't have naval superiority in. I think french subs killed 100k men you were trying to move to africa. Either move troops before the war or after you call Italy, never in between.

I didn't wanna send anyone to Africa until I built up the supply. I had to build a supply hub and railroads there since AI italy is silly.

No you don't, ports count as supply hubs, but cost a 1/3rd as much (7000 vs 20000). Even if you block sea supply, they still distribute railroad supplies. Obviously there has to be a sea route in at least one sea zone, but supplies will happily travel into one port by sea and through railroads into other ports.

But it's absolutely vital that you make sure subs don't raid your convoys in the one sea zone you leave open. Italy should help with this, but there's a reason the current meta is "ignore africa".