How do we make custom pilots?

• Crusader Kings II Expansion Subscription

Subscribe to the CK II Expansion and enjoy unlimited access to 13 major expansions and more!

• Crusader Kings III Available Now!

The realm rejoices as Paradox Interactive announces the launch of Crusader Kings III, the latest entry in the publisher’s grand strategy role-playing game franchise. Advisors may now jockey for positions of influence and adversaries should save their schemes for another day, because on this day Crusader Kings III can be purchased on Steam, the Paradox Store, and other major online retailers.

Real Strategy Requires Cunning

KnightCole

Colonel
2 Badges
Mar 2, 2018
  • BATTLETECH - Beta Backer
  • BATTLETECH - Backer
Soo, ive figured out the weapons, mechs, now I just need to get my custom pilots in order.

How do I make X's or O's out of the portrait section of the data file? I have no image to compare to in order to see what I want my guys to look like. Also, where do I put a picture if I was to crop one from another picture or something?

SpaceDrake

Recruit
Apr 25, 2018
There's two things to keep in mind.

1) If you want to add your custom folks to your *starting* lance, there seems to be no way to avoid having them use 3D portrait assets at the moment, and 3D portraits override 2D ones. You'll have to hire these people from elsewhere.

2) While BTModding is accurate w/r/t how to put together a pilot file, it's unclear exactly what steps need to be taken to make sure a pilot shows up in the hiring hall.

GenTask

Captain
3 Badges
Mar 16, 2018
  • BATTLETECH - Initiate of the Order
  • BATTLETECH - Beta Backer
  • BATTLETECH - Backer
There's two things to keep in mind.

1) If you want to add your custom folks to your *starting* lance, there seems to be no way to avoid having them use 3D portrait assets at the moment, and 3D portraits override 2D ones. You'll have to hire these people from elsewhere.

2) While BTModding is accurate w/r/t how to put together a pilot file, it's unclear exactly what steps need to be taken to make sure a pilot shows up in the hiring hall.

Right now, I see two different ways with tinkering with.

1. If you look in the pilot files, the randomly generated pilots are all named as "pilot_d#_typeofpilot" (some of these have "BLACKLISTED" which I believe means it won't be able to be recruited)
2. The pilot files named with "pilot_backer" are the best bet for copying and creating a custom 2D portrait pilot instead of using the generated pilot option above (which is what these ones use)