• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

nukemind2012

Major
83 Badges
Apr 17, 2013
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Sengoku
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
Howdy.

Playing Ethiopia, managed to beat the Italians in 1940. Italy actually capitulated to France because they decided to send their entire army down to attack me and I couldn't embargo them as I went King of Kings for the achievement. They declared on France and ended up getting stomped as they had no troops... then France was capitulated and somehow I still got Fait Accompli.

But now I am at a crossroads. Britain has done military governor everywhere. Even with every single decision I can't get resistance to 90%. I can't stoke rebellions. And of course America joined Britain in early 41 (despite being historical) so I can't just invade them as I would get walloped.

Is there something I'm missing? I thought the entire point of this branch of the tree was to force revolts but with the British just upgrading their garrisons I can do, literally, nothing. Even if I arm every single state there isn't enough bleed over- it's capped around 45% pre-guns and 75% post guns.

Rather frustrating after an incrtedibly frustrating campaign of facing 800k Italian soldiers in Eritrea because Mussolini thought that was a good idea apparently. Just trying to see if I am missing something as I would hate to scupper this run but... I would seem to be at an impasse. Completely unable to expand.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Howdy.

Playing Ethiopia, managed to beat the Italians in 1940. Italy actually capitulated to France because they decided to send their entire army down to attack me and I couldn't embargo them as I went King of Kings for the achievement. They declared on France and ended up getting stomped as they had no troops... then France was capitulated and somehow I still got Fait Accompli.

But now I am at a crossroads. Britain has done military governor everywhere. Even with every single decision I can't get resistance to 90%. I can't stoke rebellions. And of course America joined Britain in early 41 (despite being historical) so I can't just invade them as I would get walloped.

Is there something I'm missing? I thought the entire point of this branch of the tree was to force revolts but with the British just upgrading their garrisons I can do, literally, nothing. Even if I arm every single state there isn't enough bleed over- it's capped around 45% pre-guns and 75% post guns.

Rather frustrating after an incrtedibly frustrating campaign of facing 800k Italian soldiers in Eritrea because Mussolini thought that was a good idea apparently. Just trying to see if I am missing something as I would hate to scupper this run but... I would seem to be at an impasse. Completely unable to expand.
I suspect this is a PDX oversight when they changed AI behaviour since I've had this same problem post AAT.

That said the whole rebellion system was iffy even before, the only one you can end the war and integrate is Brittish Somaliland, the rest will eventually get crushed even with volunteer support. And if territory changes hands if the Axis has success in Africa, the rebels will be against the Axis rather than original owner and join factions (and vice versa with Libya if the Allies take it)

As far as I'm aware you can't form Aksum without actually going to war with Brittain.

Last edited:
When did you take the decisions? IIRC (from a BitterSteel vidja or smth) you're supposed to take the last decisions right before the uprising, and plan the order properly, because of the slowdowns you get from the x/month at the end. (So x/month stuff early until you do get close enough, then use the ones with set numbers)

But looking at one of the BS videos about how they did it might be useful, that's how I learned how to beat up the SU as Finland (and then I could apply the lesson over and over for the various achievements)

When did you take the decisions? IIRC (from a BitterSteel vidja or smth) you're supposed to take the last decisions right before the uprising, and plan the order properly, because of the slowdowns you get from the x/month at the end. (So x/month stuff early until you do get close enough, then use the ones with set numbers)

But looking at one of the BS videos about how they did it might be useful, that's how I learned how to beat up the SU as Finland (and then I could apply the lesson over and over for the various achievements)
The maximum resistance cap is much lower when the target has changed their occupation law, you can no longer get high enough to hit 100% resistance with the final decision.

They get -35% resistance on Military Governor which will cap the resistance growth much lower than before.

Last edited:
I can't take the second decision to hit 90% because the cap is now far lower it seems. As in the cap is 45%-50% no matter what I do, so the second decision does nothing.
I've been doing that alot recently. What I am finding is each patch something new is broken or changed and the old guides no longer work. IE this Ethiopia one.
I suspect this is a PDX oversight when they changed AI behaviour since I've had this same problem post AAT.

That said the whole rebellion system was iffy even before, the only one you can end the war and integrate is Brittish Somaliland, the rest will eventually get crushed even with volunteer support. And if territory changes hands if the Axis has success in Africa, the rebels will be against the Axis rather than original owner and join factions (and vice versa with Libya if the Allies take it)
Makes sense, thank you. Fairly frustrating I got this DLC on sale iirc simply because I wanted to play as Ethiopia eventually when I felt like I wanted a challenging run. Having the mechanics broken is... annoying to say the least. I mean it makes a large portion of the tree just next to worthless.

Reactions:
I can't take the second decision to hit 90% because the cap is now far lower it seems. As in the cap is 45%-50% no matter what I do, so the second decision does nothing.

I've been doing that alot recently. What I am finding is each patch something new is broken or changed and the old guides no longer work. IE this Ethiopia one.

Makes sense, thank you. Fairly frustrating I got this DLC on sale iirc simply because I wanted to play as Ethiopia eventually when I felt like I wanted a challenging run. Having the mechanics broken is... annoying to say the least. I mean it makes a large portion of the tree just next to worthless.
It's unfortunate, but the whole system has been poorly functioning even before the AI started using higher occupation laws.

Have you tried using spies to boost resistance as well? I haven't played Ethiopia for a very long time but if you're close to getting it with just the decisions some spies might help too.

Either way, Ethiopia actually can fight the Allies and take control of Africa. It gets a lot of buffs to its army and with smart planning and a good strategy you should be able to do fine even if you have to conquer it the hard way.

I would suggest going down mass mobilization doctrine to take advantage of all the leg infantry buffs Ethiopia gets, which are honestly quite ridiculous, and adding field hospitals and MP to stack hp and org recovery rate.

Have you tried using spies to boost resistance as well? I haven't played Ethiopia for a very long time but if you're close to getting it with just the decisions some spies might help too.
It might be possible, but odds are the state temporary resistance modifier will run out before your spies raise it enough to make a difference. I'm not sure how exactly resistance laws work in regards to capping the max resistance target in a state which currently caps resistance growth to 50% rather than 75-80% it did before from the state modifier.

Only way feasible would probably be to build a spy network and manually creating restance before even adding the state modifier which would take considerable time.

Although you can beat the Allies out of Africa you'll be rather unlikely to ever peace them out since you'll probably never be able to naval invade Brittain and the US.

Last edited:
It might be possible, but odds are the state temporary resistance modifier will run out before your spies raise it enough to make a difference. I'm not sure how exactly resistance laws work in regards to capping the max resistance target in a state which currently caps resistance growth to 50% rather than 75-80% it did before from the state modifier.

Only way feasible would probably be to build a spy network and manually creating restance before even adding the state modifier which would take considerable time.

Although you can beat the Allies out of Africa you'll be rather unlikely to ever peace them out since you'll probably never be able to naval invade Brittain and the US.
It just depends on how long you're willing to play for. The AI is the AI, and if you manage to take and core all of Africa you'd be surprised at how much industry you can get for yourself. I don't remember if you can liberate countries you've conquered through war without a peace deal via decisions, but any African minors that you can liberate will do their industry focus trees and you'll get all the extra factories once you annex them all.

It just depends on how long you're willing to play for. The AI is the AI, and if you manage to take and core all of Africa you'd be surprised at how much industry you can get for yourself. I don't remember if you can liberate countries you've conquered through war without a peace deal via decisions, but any African minors that you can liberate will do their industry focus trees and you'll get all the extra factories once you annex them all.
It really depends on which path you took at the end, only 1 can core all of Africa, rest are either locked to Horn of Africa, Aksum or other fixed formables, only the ones centred around the African Union can do so.

Also secondly unless I've missed something, don't they already need to exist as a tag on the map to integrate (even if it takes multiple several 100 day decisions which they can even refuse) which leads to the issues with the resistance system?

Last edited:
It really depends on which path you took at the end, only 1 can core all of Africa, rest are either locked to Horn of Africa, Aksum or other fixed formables, only the ones centred around the African Union can do so.

Also secondly unless I've missed something, don't they already need to exist as a tag on the map to integrate (even if it takes multiple several 100 day decisions which they can even refuse) which leads to the issues with the resistance system?
I thought that all of the paths that involved raising resistance mechanics led to the African Union, but I guess I forgot that the Horn of Africa section was separate from that. Either way, even with just the Horn of Africa and the rest of the continent under occupation you should have enough manpower to take out the Allies eventually.

Also, you can still conquer the required land by force and integrate it. Let the compliance go up and when you're allowed to form a collaboration government do that and then you'll be able to integrate all of the tags that you've liberated that way.

I thought that all of the paths that involved raising resistance mechanics led to the African Union, but I guess I forgot that the Horn of Africa section was separate from that. Either way, even with just the Horn of Africa and the rest of the continent under occupation you should have enough manpower to take out the Allies eventually.

Also, you can still conquer the required land by force and integrate it. Let the compliance go up and when you're allowed to form a collaboration government do that and then you'll be able to integrate all of the tags that you've liberated that way.
The latter will likely take several years though.

The latter will likely take several years though.
You're right, but that goes back to what I said at the beginning of it being all about how long you are fine with playing. It is worth noting though that the Haile Selassie path has a bunch of compliance gain bonuses so it doesn't take that long to get there.

But even without any of that, you'd be surprised at how much manpower you can squeeze out of pretty much any country with all adults serve or scraping the barrel and mass mobilization doctrine.

Isn’t there a spy mission (if you own LaR) that boosts resistance?
There is but you'll need to run it several times. I'm not sure how the -35% from Mil Gov is applied, if it's a reduction per source or in total reduction of maximum resistance target. But you'll probably need to spend an extra year boosting resistance to use the decisions later.

All of the thing are IMO:
  1. ETH strategy is neither limited nor forced by ITA-ETH war. ETH beats ITA damn easily.
  2. So one extends ITA-ETH war to grind generals and divs for as long as it does not hurt construction / production.
  3. The limiting factors are:
    1. "Infrastructure projects" that removes debuffs from construction and factory slot (as I remember) for the states you both own and control.
    2. Randomized free focus dockyards allocations. Since you'll have low compliance you'll need to focus these to up the dockyards output without wasting construction.
  4. To get the full bonuses from 3.1 you have to control Tigray and it's rather difficult and wasteful to conquer Tigray without overrunning Eritrea port first. On the other hand it's rather wasteful to burn through ITA DIVs in ITA high supply mountains in the North rather than ETH high supply southern desert.
  5. So in the end one has to wipe ITA in 1-3Q37 depending on the force composition one wants -- Chitets vs. regulars.
Y40 is waaay too late IMO.

Last edited:
Lasting until 40 is indeed weird, pre-AAT Italy would normally pretty much lose to colony insurrection by 39 from the massive resistance spiking triggered at the end of the escalation system.

Lasting until 40 is indeed weird, pre-AAT Italy would normally pretty much lose to colony insurrection by 39 from the massive resistance spiking triggered at the end of the escalation system.
That's another thing. As far as I remember ETH inherits resistance levels for occupied states (as far as I remember :) So that's another reason why not to overextend the war. ETH has meagre CICs so wasting them on dockyards in high resistance provinces -- and all of the shoreline is -- is a waste of CICs. And one arguably does need dockyards to churn out roach DDs / bathtubs for naval supremacy for easy naval invasion picks at IRQ, PER and Africa.

All pre-AAT.

Last edited:
There is but you'll need to run it several times. I'm not sure how the -35% from Mil Gov is applied, if it's a reduction per source or in total reduction of maximum resistance target. But you'll probably need to spend an extra year boosting resistance to use the decisions later.
There's only 1 modifier that directly affects resistance, so all sources of resistance (whether positive or negative) are directly additive.

Y40 is waaay too late IMO.
I’ll admit I’m not the best, despite having 800+ hours. By the end somehow Italy had literally every single soldier except a small garrison in Eritrea and I’m guessing they upgraded the ports.

I wanted to embargo them but apparently when you decide to stay in Ethiopia Embargoes, volunteers, and more are impossible.

Further more the attrition they suffered didn’t matter. From what I could see they were buying a TON off the international market to plug losses.

Again I’m not the best just used a BS video but when Italy finally got surrounded they lost literally their whole army sans a few units. France was literally in Rome because they sent so many to the Horn of Africa and Eritrea.

Edit- Fun pic. They also kept naval invading the Horn of Africa which lead to a Tsingtao like situation where I could surround and destroy them. Second one is right before I killed their surrounded men.

Attachments

• Screenshot (747).png
    Screenshot (747).png
    2,8 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot (748).png
    Screenshot (748).png
    2,3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited: