• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CharlesV

Second Lieutenant
35 Badges
Mar 31, 2017
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
I would guess they have a higher suppression rating for less accuracy but I don't know.

They are cheap. That's their main advantage. At 400m range they do 0.3 damage as opposed to 0.15 on a Rifle section, 0.39 opposed to 0.36 at 101-300m, and 0.39 opposed to 2.21 at below 100m. They have half the health of a Rifle section but only cost 5 points less. There really isn't much reason to bring them except to capture ground because they usually have decent availability.

It's worth mentioning that a squad does the same HE damage regardless of its HP. So a 1 man rifle squad will deal more damage than a full Bren Group. Because of that, Bren Groups are effectively worthless for actual fighting. They are however useful in a few roles in the Scottish division because of their cheap price:

1.) Sending ahead of normal rifle squads during the initial deployment to act as bullet sponges for aggressive pushes. They are in the same truck as Rifles, so the enemy is likely to fire at them with panzershrecks and AT guns, revealing their positions. It's not a big deal if they are lost while in the truck.
2.) Holding ground.
3.) Forcing enemy units to surrender while in the truck. Yes, that's right. Don't unload them if you want to use them like this. Wait for an enemy unit to start routing, and then fast move the truck forward to try to force its surrender.

I don't recommend getting them for the Guards because they don't have enough infantry slots, and while they might be worth taking in C for SSB, I would rather have the assault pios that only cost $5 more.