How did Switzerland become my ‘client march’

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

RedArmy

First Lieutenant
28 Badges
Jun 28, 2017
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
I am playing Sunni Granada > Andalusia > Califate
It is 1763 and I have been the revolutionary target for 10 years. Suddenly Switzerland became my ‘client march’. I did nothing! What happened? Is it a bug?

Reactions:
Another "fun" thing is that if you have Switzerland as a vassal you can lose it to the current revolutionary target through this event since the AI always chooses the first option.

How exactly is the rev target going to be at war with Switzerland if not in Europe?
The event can also fire if Switzerland has less than 15 provinces and 10 of those are in Europe with the revolution present. They don't have to be at war with the revolutionary target, though it can also happen that way.

Reactions:
I am playing Sunni Granada > Andalusia > Califate
It is 1763 and I have been the revolutionary target for 10 years. Suddenly Switzerland became my ‘client march’. I did nothing! What happened? Is it a bug?
Interesting.

Giving another example, though it is not related to revolutionary mechanics, nor similar to the case, but it involves switzerland and its events:

The player is portugal. Never expanded in europe, not even harassed spain. Stayed catholic (naturally for a portugal run), allied to papacy, spain, etc. Colonised, did not care about the reformation, and minded own business. Then this happened:

eu4_6.png

The event fired for the player's portugal. Current owner of geneva is savoy. Needless to say, none of the options has any effect, as the player is portugal, which has nothing to do with the swiss region.

It can be argued that the swiss flavour events certainly have... a condition... err... that their conditionals do not seem to be properly implemented.

Edit: The first option states that should it be chosen, the player, PORTUGAL, converts to reformed. :D

eu4_8.png

Interesting.

Giving another example, though it is not related to revolutionary mechanics, nor similar to the case, but it involves switzerland and its events:

The player is portugal. Never expanded in europe, not even harassed spain. Stayed catholic (naturally for a portugal run), allied to papacy, spain, etc. Colonised, did not care about the reformation, and minded own business. Then this happened:

View attachment 697787

The event fired for the player's portugal. Current owner of geneva is savoy. Needless to say, none of the options has any effect, as the player is portugal, which has nothing to do with the swiss region.

It can be argued that the swiss flavour events certainly have... a condition... err... that their conditionals do not seem to be properly implemented.

Edit: The first option states that should it be chosen, the player, PORTUGAL, converts to reformed. :D

View attachment 697788
That is very funky, did it convert you, I've had Calvin happen when I owned Geneva as England via Burgundian Inheritance. But never had it happen when not owned Switzerland

That is very funky, did it convert you, I've had Calvin happen when I owned Geneva as England via Burgundian Inheritance. But never had it happen when not owned Switzerland
As far as recalled, tried the second option to see if it would release geneva and mess up savoy (the third one -decline- gives prestige and papal influence for catholics). As mentioned, it did not have any effect; will go back and try again to double-check if the save still exists in the recycle bin (not ironman; the author never plays ironman, never).

Yes, it is funky, as the event specifically states it only fires when independent geneva exists or played by human, or another tag owns geneva, or a vassal geneva exists and owns the province. At least, these are the conditionals stated in the wiki.

Update: The save file was gone. But on a new run, spain has gone full reformed.

Even better, that event can fire for the Papal States making them reformed.
Apparently this seems possible, unless papal state is hardcoded to bypass it. Check this out;

Started a bohemia run. Dangerous path -hussite game. Unsafe path -first allied, then rivalled austria. Anyway, minded own business, hungary + poland pu, subjugate brandenburg, then started the subjugate saxony war in 1557.

During the war, league was triggered, everybody started to chose their sides. Waiting on 100% warscore (improve relations, as aggro-exp is about 100s overall in hre due to the previous brandenburg subjugation). Then this happened:

eu4_31.png

The calvin-geneva event of the swiss flavour series happened to spain (13 december 1558 according to the log), and the code chose the first option, promptly converted to reformed. Could only notice it thanks to the sudden spam of treaty of tordesillas messages.

At the same time, geneva is owned by a reformed switzerland, with which spain tag has nothing to do, no relation. As mentioned before, trigger conditions are listed in the wiki:
  • One of the following:
    • geneva tag not a vassal OR played by human
    • owns province geneva OR geneva tag owns geneva province as a vassal
Nevertheless, the john calvin, and calvin returns to geneva events happen to the geneva holder switzerland, but apparently calvin becomes spiritual leader of geneva event happens to any other tag; so far observed on player-portugal, and code-spain. Indeed this is funky.

Reactions:
but apparently calvin becomes spiritual leader of geneva event happens to any other tag; so far observed on player-portugal, and code-spain. Indeed this is funky.

Yeah, the trigger condition is wrong. As written it can fire for any non-subject nation that is protestant, catholic or reformed as long as Geneva (4720) is reformed and has the provice flag "john_calvin_is_here". From the comment it's clear that it was meant to fire for the owner of Geneva (or the overlord if owned by a vassal, except if the vassal is a player). Looks like the outer "OR" was meant to be an "AND". In addition the first option (that converts you to reformed) should probably not be available for the Papal States.

Code:
    trigger = {
        is_religion_enabled = reformed
        OR = {
            OR = { #Geneva vassals will only get this event if they are a player, otherwise Geneva's overlord or province owner gets this event.
                is_subject = no
                AND = {
                    tag = GNV
                    was_player = yes
                }
            }
            OR = { #Geneva is controlled in some way
                4720 = {
                    owned_by = ROOT
                }
                GNV = {
                    is_subject_of = ROOT