• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Wow, the Rheagar's never turn out to be good kings. Rheagar II sounded like he had the potential to turn out like Commodus or Aegon IV at worst. Still, at least his reign was too short for him to do any real harm.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Nope!

If you have a certain trait (I think it's 'Arbitrary', but I might be wrong) you have the option of 'taking a polyamorous spouse'. There is probably more to it, you likely need to be High Valyrian, but there was no need to convert.

Yes, I noticed that decision playing as the FOTS Velayrons.

Reactions:
Daeron III Targaryen
Daeron III Targaryen
GxOY5e0.jpg

Reigned: 576AC - 578 AC
Spouses: Baena Targaryen
Children: -

Daeron Targaryen, Third of His Name, was the Thirty-fourth Monarch of the Seven Kingdoms and the rider of the dragon Searinox. He was the second son of Aegon IX, and brother to Kings Rhaegar II and Orys I.

Daeon III was not a martial man, but despite this he still led the invasion of the Iron Isles after the death of his brother, Rhaegar II. It is believed that Daeron III wished simply to cease with the conflict and leave the Ironborn to it. But at the urging of his younger brother Orys, his Hand, Ser Lyonel Tarth, and the Lord-Commander of his Kingsguard, Manly Westford, he assented to continue the war.

He personally commanded the attack on Pyke and on Great Wyk, and was present at the final siege of the war, at Hammerhorn. Late into the siege, the King took severe wounds, and had to be taken away from the battlefield.

On the night before the final siege of Hammerhorn, King Daeron III Targaryen died of his wounds in his tent. His brother Orys was crowned in the camp, and led the retaliation. What he ordered in the aftermath would mar Orys’ reign:

1. He ordered the purging of all Lords of the Iron Isles, along with their wives and children.
  2. He stripped all of the Ironborn Nobles that remained of their lands and titles.
  3. He banned the faith of the Drowned God.
  4. Hammerhorn was renamed “Daeron’s Rest”
  5. The Isles themselves were renamed “The Isles of the Dragon”
  6. Ser Renly Baratheon was named the first Lord Paramount of the Isles of the Dragon.

Daeron III Targaryen would be the last King(at the time Maester Jon was writing) that died in battle. His 'reign' would not be fondly remembered by his subjects, although that is due in no small part due to the bloody vengeance Orys I took in his name.

Stygg Goodbrother, Lord of Sealskin Point, whilst Daeron was distracted at Pyke, took his family and followers to their holdings Beyond-the-Wall. Within two years, he would be King-Beyond-The-Wall, beginning the second real dynasty of Wildling Kings (the first being the Baratheons).

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Orys I Targaryen
Orys I Targaryen
sPv9Z0i.jpg

Reigned: 578AC - 603 AC
Spouses: Rhaeys Truedrake
Children: Aurane Targaryen, Saerys Targaryen, Maegor and Visenya Targaryen

Orys Targaryen, First of His Name, known as ‘The Butcher of the Ironborn’, was the Thirty-fifth Monarch of the Seven Kingdoms and the rider of the Great Dragon, Nefarian. He was the youngest son of Aegon IX, and brother to KingsRhaegar II and Daeron III. His reign would begin a series of four Kings that would be first of their names. He would be the last ruler that Maester Jon would write about.

Orys was just a boy of nine when he claimed the oldest and most fearsome of the dragons at the time, Nefarian. It is thought that he did this to outdo his eldest brother Rhaegar II, who had tamed another Great Dragon, Rask.

As the third born son, Orys was not expected to take any form of authority. Indeed, it had been an unspoken tradition in House Targaryen that any sons beyond the second-born join the faith. But the future King refused, due in no small part to his utter disdain for the Faith.

Then the Drumm Uprising happened. It was rumoured, though never truly taken seriously, that the Uprising was actually ignited by Orys and his cohorts. Although this rumour only really began to be widely believed after his death. However, the mere existence of this rumour is evidence to how widely disliked and distrusted Orys I was.

Aside from the bloody way it began, Orys’ reign was remarkably peaceful, albeit an uneasy one. The King travelled often, holding court at whatever Castle he was visiting, and even random fields on more than one occasion. It was his Queen, Rhaeys Truedrake, that remained in the Capital with their children as Orys went on his Progresses.

This, somewhat unsurprisingly, caused a rift between Orys and his family. And after the death of his Queen in 597AC, he was forcibly made to surrender power, although not his throne. This was due to the fact that the latter part of his reign was dominated by the influence of his son and Prince of Dragonstone, Aurane Targaryen. Acting as his father’s Hand for the last half-decade of his reign, Aurane began amassing influence at a rapid pace. In fact, the only part of the main Royal power structure that Aurane did not have influence over was the Kingsguard. Nonetheless, Orys was placed under a form of House arrest, and forbidden from leaving his chambers of the Red Keep.

The Butcher of the Ironborn was rendered a prisoner in his own home by his own son, much like his ancestor Rhaegar I was by his own son, Aegon VI.

Orys I died in 603AC at the age of eight-and-forty, apparently due to a sudden illness. The circumstances were suspicious, as it came at a time that the Kingsguard were seeking to return him to full power, but no one was ever truly investigated in relation to the probable regicide.

His Kingsguard is remembered as one of the most respected in the institution's history.

Kingsguard at the end of Orys I Targaryen’s Reign
Ser Androw Vikary, Lord Commander of the Kingsguard
Ser Jeomar Westford
Ser Hoster Slynt
Ser Corwyn Corbray
Ser Owen of the Crossing
Ser Lorimar Longwaters
Ser Symon Belmont

.Notable People:

Renly Baratheon:
The founder of House Baratheon of Daeron’s Rest and Lord Paramount of the Isles of the Dragon. Renly was the squire of King Aegon IX Targaryen and a close friend to Orys I and the Kingsguard Symon Belmont. During the Battle of Lannisport, he rallied the Loyalist forces to beat back the Ironborn after the death of Rhaegar II Targaryen.

Phalinas Mallarawan: Leader of both the Ancient Guild of Spicers and later of the Empire of Qaath. Phalinas would end the brutal civil war between the Spicers and the Tourmaline Brotherhood, and become so renowned in Eastern Essos that after her death, it was decreed that no one was to name a daughter ‘Phalinas’ again, so that anyone that heard her name would instantly know who it was that was being referred to.

• 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Here we go. The very last ruler update.

I'll be doing an update on the Great Houses and the Great Dragons, before opening up to questions.

I thank you all for your support in this year-long journey, and hope you enjoyed!

• 3Like
Reactions:
As above, it's certainly been an enjoyable ride :)

There's certainly a measure of irony in that one of the worst kings (by reputation, at least) in recent memory has one of the best Kingsguards standing behind him.

• 1Like
Reactions:
This was quite the AAR! A lot of challenges and enemis, yet House Targaryen lived on!

Any future plans we should be excited for?

• 2Like
Reactions:
This was quite the AAR! A lot of challenges and enemis, yet House Targaryen lived on!

Any future plans we should be excited for?

I am tempted to actually do my 'Chinese General in India' game that I've been considering for about two years now. Or back to my favourite battleground, FRANCE!

I am uncertain whether or not I shall move from CK2 to CK3 to do AARs just yet, but this is not the last you will see of me.

Last edited:
Please, please! One in India. One in France. Thank You very much

I am deeply tempted to do this. I've got both games on the go, and both are AAR worthy. I'll admit that the French one has become decidedly Dragon Age inspired, and would probably need to focus on the Empire rather than the dynasty given how fast my first dynasty is dropping in numbers, but maybe that'll make for an interesting change. The Chinese General in India one is proving that Lao Cho is a badass no matter what world he's put in.

So, whilst I work my way through the last wrap-up post, tis quiz time again!

1. Which reign would you have liked to live in the most?

2. Which King or Queen has been your favourite?

3. Which King or Queen has been your least favourite?

4. Which period do you think would make the best TV series?

5. Which 'Notable Person' was your favourite?

6. Out of the Dragons that have been mentioned, which one would you want the most?

7. Is there anything about this world that hasn't been mentioned that you still want to know about?

Reactions:
I am deeply tempted to do this. I've got both games on the go, and both are AAR worthy. I'll admit that the French one has become decidedly Dragon Age inspired, and would probably need to focus on the Empire rather than the dynasty given how fast my first dynasty is dropping in numbers, but maybe that'll make for an interesting change. The Chinese General in India one is proving that Lao Cho is a badass no matter what world he's put in.

So, whilst I work my way through the last wrap-up post, tis quiz time again!

1-4. Still pretty much same as last time.
  • Maegor II for redeeming the name,
  • Valarr I for being among the last of the relatively peaceful reigns before the end of the Long Peace,
  • Maegor III for inadvertently finishing setting up Dance of the Dragons II: Scaly Boi Boogaloo,
  • War for the Dawn or Great Summer Sickness. Drumm Uprising could be fun in the same sense that Daenerys' attack on King Landing in the show was purely out of morbid terror.

5. Which 'Notable Person' was your favourite?
Hmmm, hard to choose....
  • Bobby B as King-Beyond-the-Wall
  • Ossifer Slynt being a very good egg
  • Since there wasn't one for Jaehaerys III, I'm gonna throw a wildcard here and basically pick every named character who fought during the War for the Dawn. Special emphasis on Brienne of Tarth, Arthur Celtigar for holding the line (and introducing the word sennight into my vocabulary), and Eddard Whitehill.
  • Lao Cho for kicking all the ass in middle Essos
  • Matthos of the Kingswood because he kinda shared a similar background (lowborn friend to the future king who got a sweet promotion out of gratitude) to a minor character in a test game for a Crowned Stag AAR I've toyed with

6. Out of the Dragons that have been mentioned, which one would you want the most?
Obvs. Suneater.

7. Is there anything about this world that hasn't been mentioned that you still want to know about?
Would love to see a Targ family tree. just to see how many times it loops on itself.

• 2Like
Reactions: