HOT ROADS: AI, merging lanes, traffic management: better roundabouts & cul de sacs..

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

cRAGGLE

Major
53 Badges
Nov 25, 2014
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Prison Architect
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Prison Architect: Psych Ward
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Surviving Mars
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
The "let's plays" are out and some pre-verdicts are in regarding traffic and roads, some suggestions:

- AI vehicles need improvements to understand the roads better eg. 2 lane+ roundabouts are not utilised properly

- Merging lanes will be a VERY welcome addition, this is probably the #1 request so far

- Cul de sacs would be a nice addition

- Improved roundabout intersections needed

- Intersections in general may need to be looked at, maybe an option to add traffic lights ect.

- No 4 lane one way roads? There are 2 and 6 lanes but no 4 lanes?

Anything I've missed?

Reactions:
Upvote 0
Traffic light controlled intersections seem a bit odd they way they happen.
Setting priority on roads.
General lane usage (so vehicles will use free lanes). Seems that the AI chooses a lane very early and can get in a line of cars when there is a free lane it could travel along and bypass the stuck traffic some of which is turning off.

I think we need more road style, like a 4 lane avenue without median, maybe like the tool of CIM2 which was very usefull, and please, add turning lane's bay, it would solve the problem of cars waiting to make a left turn.

Traffic management and AI is indeed something that should be the #1 priority because it affects the gameplay hard.

I really hope CO will start to tweak and add new options for the traffic AI as soon as the game is released. It isn't bad at all from what I saw on Twitch, but it definitely needs some optimization.

Something I'd very much like to see are normal roads with no street-side parking. One or two lanes in each direction with no street-side parking especially.

Also I saw on Quills stream that ambulances/firetrucks that stop for buildings to service them, they stop the traffic behind them causing a traffic jam. Sometimes they go around but most of the times they keep waiting behind them. Which is weird because they can just move onto the sidewalk and just let traffic go trough.

Also I saw on Quills stream that ambulances/firetrucks that stop for buildings to service them, they stop the traffic behind them causing a traffic jam. Sometimes they go around but most of the times they keep waiting behind them. Which is weird because they can just move onto the sidewalk and just let traffic go trough.

I noticed that too and thought it was abit silly. Then I though well if there were a fire they would cordon the road off and traffic would need to detour. Now that would be cool.

Well, in real life, When there's a fire and even somtimes when there's a medical emergency, They usually stop traffic on streets, so I don't see why it's a problem..

I think we just need to undestand the existing system better and adapt to that. Let's look at merging lanes. Has anyone tried to build a three lane (one way) highway, then split it into a 2-lane one way road and a exit lane? and then merge a entrance back? Could help with traffic despite the speed limit on the one way.

Code:
    Highway (100)  |2-lane one-way(60?) |  Highway(100)
1 -> --------------|--------------------|---------------->
2 -> --------------|--------------------|---------------->
3 -> --------------|\                  /|---------------->
                     \                /
                      \              /
                  Exit Lane     Entrance

Could do something similar at junctions with turning lanes.

I think we just need to undestand the existing system better and adapt to that. Let's look at merging lanes. Has anyone tried to build a three lane (one way) highway, then split it into a 2-lane one way road and a exit lane? and then merge a entrance back? Could help with traffic despite the speed limit on the one way.

Code:
    Highway (100)  |2-lane one-way(60?) |  Highway(100)
1 -> --------------|--------------------|---------------->
2 -> --------------|--------------------|---------------->
3 -> --------------|\                  /|---------------->
                     \                /
                      \              /
                  Exit Lane     Entrance

Could do something similar at junctions with turning lanes.

The problem is also the fact car can park on one way road, pedestrian can walk, and I even think it will have crosswalk which is not realistic..