• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Commander.Valkrye

Sergeant
6 Badges
Jan 24, 2020
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
I liked the horn of africa thread last week but believe there are a few things missing over its provinces , idea set and events/mission trees. As the militaristic nature of adalite rulers who defeated numerous ethiopian emperors deserve at least some recognition in their army either in the mission tree or as a bonus idea when adal completes its set

@ajsieg as the horn of africa expert i would greatly appreciate your input on this, let me know what you think of my recommendations and wether they are balanced or not

Ajuuran:

I actually really love the rework on ajuuran although my only dislike is in its idea set , i propose that either the somalia formable be given galley combat strength due to it being a late game formable of ajuuran or "Gareen Imams" (in ajuurans idea set) be replaced with+10-15% Galley combat ability, to compliment ajuurans navy this idea can either be a mid unlock or it can be part of a mission tree giving permanent bonus when they control the swahili states

also some interesting alt history mission trees for ajuuran can be like when they travel to china just like mali travelling to mecca, if ajuuran reaches a certain dev or has >5000 ducats they can do the same journey ming took to travel to them,
and the most notable Somali ambassador in medieval China was Sa'id of Mogadishu who was the first African man to set foot in China in recorded history.

now I understand Adal; will recieve a mission tree and some mercs but it wont do justice to its accomplishments nor will they be able to stand against ethiopia let alone annex 80% of Ai abbysinia as they did 5 centuries prior

as of now adal starts with 39 development ,,,, yes you read that right. which is why ethiopia that starts with nearly 3x the dev at 88 wipes the floor with them
ed.PNG

^ this ties in with adal's economy noted at the bottom

Adal was supported extensively by the ottomans with equipment none of its other east african neighbours (other than ethiopia and ajuuran) had such as cannons they were the first to use them in subsahran africa , the ottomans supported them so much and adal and its successor states used ottoman equipment in their battles upto the 19th century, i would like to propose that a mission tree be added allowing adal to fully incorporate ottoman technology into their army ( allowing them to convert to the anatolian tech group)

It can go like this , "Seek help from anatolia" : adal must be allied with the ottomans + have greater then 100+ opinion plus some other stuff for balance reasons;

SOM_ideas = {
start = {
may_perform_slave_raid_on_same_religion = yes
land_morale = 0.1
}
bonus = {
galley_strength = 0.1
}
trigger = {
tag = SOM
}
free = yes
SOM_land_of_punt = {
stability_cost_modifier = -0.1
}
SOM_african_silk_road = {
caravan_power = 0.2
trade_steering = 0.15
}
SOM_african_minting = {
inflation_reduction = 0.15
}
SOM_zeila_and_berbera = {
center_of_trade_upgrade_cost = -0.1
}
SOM_blue_nile = {
global_supply_limit_modifier = 0.33
}
SOM_indian_merchants = {
merchants = 1
mercantilism_cost = -0.25
}
SOM_faithful_to_allah = {
missionary_maintenance_cost = -0.2
}
}

ADA_ideas = {
start = {
land_maintenance_modifier = -0.1
trade_efficiency = 0.1
}

bonus = {
discipline = 0.05
}

trigger = {
tag = ADA
}
free = yes

ada_our_infinite_struggle = {
manpower_recovery_speed = 0.1
}

ada_a_monarchial_imamate = {
legitimacy = 1
}

ada_zeila_and_harar = {
global_trade_power = 0.15
}

ada_mujahiduir_cavalry = {
cavalry_power = 0.05
cavalry_cost = -0.1
}

ada_unite_the_clans = {
years_of_nationalism = -5
}

ada_yahu_yahu = {
land_morale = 0.1
}

ada_holy_walls_of_harar_ = {
national_unrest = -2
}
}

Journal of Ethiopian Studies
Vol. 30, No. 1 (June 1997), pp. 31-73

Adal possessed a group of elite regiment soldiers called malassay, and as of now adal starts with 8 soldiers and -1 morale less than ethiopia at 2.7 whilst ethiopia has 3.8, and during the war with Abyssinia a fully united ethiopia could muster around 9-11k meanwhile adal after annexing eastern ethiopia had a full force of around 15k soldiers
Malassay ( መለሳይ Mälässay) was a member of the elite infantry units that formed the Adal Sultanate's household troops.[1], Elite unit of military warriors in the Adal army was branded with the title Malassay or Malachai (Portuguese spelling).
a man Malasāy is not born. He obtained this title after demonstrating his military capabilities. ‘Arab Faqīh gives a relatively precise definition of what he means by "malasāy: [65] the Malasāy troop, are people of raids and ğihād worthy men,

ps: there is some misinformation online that says the entire adal army was called Malassay but this is false
the term malasay was only used for the elite regiment and both christians and muslims were integrated into them

mala.PNG
mala2.PNG
mala3.PNG
]

Event 1: "futuh al habasha": if adal is at war with ethiopia and controls harar it recieves
Imam Ahmad ibn Ibrahim al-Ghazi was a military leader of the medieval Adal Sultanate in the northern Horn of Africa. Between 1529 and 1543, he defeated several Ethiopian emperors and embarked on a conquest referred to as the Futuh Al-Habash ("Conquest of Abyssinia"), which brought three-quarters of Christian Abyssinia under the power of the Muslim Sultanate of Adal.[10]
^ this almsot legendary leader who defeated numerous emperors and annexed 80% of ethiopia as an heir , his stats can hover around 5 4 5;

Event 2 or it can be a mission tree: "Holy walls of harar": if adal controls harar and completed its 1st or 2nd mission its capital becomes harar and it gets dev increases or if a monument is there it increases the monuments level by +1;

ADAL'S ECONOMY:

Adal has 6 min dev provinces and starts out with arid and desert provincesi in the south west meanwhile adal had numerous prosperous provinces in that region and had well watered farmlands
One of the empire's most wealthy provinces was Ifat it was well watered, by the large river Awash. The general area was well cultivated, densely populated with numerous villages adjoining each other. Agricultural produce included three main cereals, wheat, sorghum and teff, as well as beans, aubergines, melons, cucumbers, marrows, cauliflowers and mustard

and one the wealthiest cities in adal " zeila" which supplied Arabia and the horn of africa with many valuable goods starts of at 8 dev whilst there are provinces in dense forests in congo great lakes austrialia and america with double the development

As a result of this flourishing trade, the citizens of Zeila accordingly lived "extremely well" and the city was well built . a wealthy city and abundantly supplied with provisions, The port city was so well supplied with victuals that it exported it's surplus to Aden, Jeddah, Mecca and "All Arabia"" which then was dependent on the supplies/produce from the city which they favoured above all. Zeila was described as a "Port of much provisions for Aden, and all parts of Arabia and many countries and Kingdoms".

Final note:

Horn of africa is my favorite region to play in and i may be biased in this but i do believe the region can be a lot more fun if adal is given a fighting chance against ethiopia and ajuuran gets some bonuses, my recommendations above are conservative at best the only powerful suggestion i made is the +5% discipline when adal completes its idea set.

This wont make adal completely op as it would be unlocked near the late game, but would give them an opportunity to stand up to colonizers and give players a better reason to stick with adal instead of culture shifting to form ethiopia, because as of now with 33 dev and 8 soldiers adal is in no shape to stand up to ethiopia and its 2 vassals

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: