• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Nice installment...did you say you put cavalry in the MOUNTAINS? You know they don't do as well in the mountains....But it is better than NO troops...It should still work pretty well...I don't know about this though...The Mongols allied with close neighbors has me a bit concerned for your overall survival...

I agree, you don't look very safe to me. But it sounds like you have a good plan. Did I notice differnet graphics for the horsemen? Are all of the armies like that in MES? Looks cool.

And very nice intro to the possible Prestor John. Certainly sounds a bit like a heretic to me. ;) I mean - two personalities for Jesus? That monk better get to praying.

nice! Did you create your own religion? if so good job. You should though attack the grey guys. It would add land. You must crusade. Now I have to fix my scenario.

If I remember correctly the Mongols should have a few bad events coming their way which will make them vassals and possibly break that dangerous alliance against you. But that won't last long. Perhaps putting infantry in the mountains might work better?

coz1 said:
Did I notice differnet graphics for the horsemen? Are all of the armies like that in MES?
No, just the steppe peoples ;)

jwolf thanks. No AFAIK the slider settings are representing the fact that the Naimans were a steppe people like the Mongols. Naimans were used as soldiers in other armies and were very skilful too :)

Zacharym 87 and jwolf there are one or more corridors (surprised me) but I don’t know the exact location (at work now and can´t check). Nasty thing I agree :p

Amric,you are of course right. However I built cavalry mainly because I wanted a fast mobile special operation force that could move in quickly against less dangerous opponents than the Mongols. Could be the Kyrgiz or the Oirats (have no border with the Mongols yet so I will see them coming). If war breaks out my plan is to send newly recruited infantry to the mountains as soon as the cavalry has left (guess I will have enough time to recruit infantry before the enemies come). The situation isn’t good at all :(

coz, I can only prey. The Nestorians are quite fascinating. I really admire their work in the east. They hadn’t much of structure still they had a great influence on people. They had some strange ideas but on the whole they weren’t too alienated from the Christian churches in the west :)

billy bob. nope “Other Christians” are a separate religion in the MES scenario. In this case it represent Nestorian Christians. I will take it easy for a while. Most provinces are low income ones with wrong religion and wrong culture. If opportunity arises I will go for it but I will thread carefully until I have built up my strength. Surviving as the Naimans isn’t easy :cool:

Machiavellian. Well haven’t seen such events yet and I doubt those wild men will submit to others for long. I think they will come but I will wait for them. At least I have the chance to go down in a blaze of glory :D

mfigueras, nice game you and the others have created. The Naimans is in for a tough ride (as they should be)

I don't think the Mongols get any bad events, at least not for awhile yet. Judge, they are definitely coming your way. Your AAR life should be bloody amusing soon. :rofl:

Your plan seems very solid though. Good luck!

Catknight, sometimes the little guy wins but most time he doesn’t :cool:

Jwolf lousy English there :D - a small conquest spree may be feasible if occasion arises

Last edited:
Make a joyful noise unto the Lord! (1170-1190)

In 1170 Brother Rubruck had been with the Naimans for ten years, a time that felt like ages. He had been considering returning to the Roman Empire but had been advised not to since fierce wars raged in the east. And then of course there was that little excuse he had found for not leaving the Naimans; a dark beauty, Shimla, who he had meet in the Naiman court.

Shimla was young, slender and had the most delicate green eyes he had ever seen. Being a Nestorian Christian was of course a huge disadvantage but nevertheless Rubruck couldn’t resist her invitations. The women up here were magnificent; pure and fresh. He guessed that it was the wintry weather and the harsh nature that had made them healthy and beautiful.
The climate really seemed to have a great impact on looks.

The new king, Inancha Bilgei, gave Rubruck and Shimla a large tent where they lived close to the Royal court. On occasions Rubruck was allowed to visit the king for religious discussions. The King was quite cunning and Brother Rubruck often found himself in trouble when they disputed religious matters. The Nestorians were very good at arguing and that might explain their success in the east said Rubruck to Shimla.

The economy in the Naiman society was mainly based on taxing the selling of furs and fish. The trade was insignificant to say the least. Plunder was quite common though the Naimans were somewhat restricted in this field by their Christian faith.

Brother Rubruck had noticed several changes in the peaceful country since he had arrived. In fact you could say that the country had transformed from a rather peaceful society into a blatant military state.

The rigors of daily living in the harsh climate of Mongolia seemed to learn the Naimans the value of endurance and stamina. Trained from youth to be expert horsemen and archers, the Naimans were well prepared to be warriors. The young men always practised horse riding and arrow shooting while the women manufactured boiled leather and arrows. The axe was the Naiman favourite weapon for close combat.

It was obvious that everyone knew war was coming and prepared for it. The Naimans were determined to defend their way of living and their faith. Rubruck noticed that the churches were well attended and despite his reluctance to listen to the silly ideas about Jesus double personality and the denial of holy Mary, preached by these Nestorian heathens, his young wife managed to convince more than once to attend mass.

In 1173 things heated up when the Mongols demanded military access to Naiman land. The wise king, Inancha Bilgei, allowed the Mongols to pass through Naiman land because he hoped that they would leave the Naimans alone by granting the request. However it seemed that the Mongols suddenly changed their minds because they attacked the Jin Empire in the east. A feeling of relief spread among the Naimans. Perhaps the Jin emperor would be able to defeat the Mongols?

The unpleasant Oirats to the east, a tribe that hated Nestorian Christianity, joined the Mongols and sent troops to the east. Perhaps they hoped for Mongol assistance in a coming war against the Naimans? On the other hand this move opened up a good opportunity for the Naimans. To the North there was a small pagan tribe, Kyrgiz, that had been vasselized by the Oirats in an earlier war.

With the Oirat army far away, the Naimans decided to attack the Kyrgiz heathens and strengthen the Naiman position. After hearing mass the king and 12 000 horses crossed the Kyrgiz border (1180). The Kyrgiz army was rather weak after earlier wars and it could only field 4 000 horses.

Outnumbering the Kyrgiz with three to one the Naimans decided to try to surround and then crush the Kyrgiz army. The Naiman army dressed in purple and gold was a magnificent sight. The flag with the cross was seen everywhere and the men crossed themselves before setting out for battle.

King Inancha Bilgei decided to mount a three pronged attack, consisting of an army of the centre and then two flanking forces. A screen of scouts constantly relayed information back to the king. “Show these heathens no mercy” shouted the King to his men. “Remember God is on our side!” The Naimans had decided to destroy the Kyrgiz army before moving deep into enemy territory. The favourite tactics was, as always, the use of shock and mobility.

The Kyrgiz didn’t fear the Naimans who they regarded as cowards and westernised weaklings. Over confident the Kyrgiz army set out in a fierce attack hoping to break the morale of the Naiman army. However a withering hail of arrows broke the charge of the pagan horse archers. Soon the cold air was full of arrows as the Naiman horse archers kept firing volley after volley.

Brother Rubruck smiled and whispered. “These men are truly the horde of the cross, maybe they will help my beloved Roman friends some day”. The Kyrgiz still tried to hold their army together but following the archer attack the Naiman light cavalry quickly closed in on them waving their battle- axes in the air while shouting “It is the will of God, it is the will of God”. Brother Rubruck smiled again. It was he who, inspired by the crusaders, had introduced that war cry to the Naimans and they seemed to like it a lot.

Brother Rubruck accompanied Inancha Bilgei and the main army. The Monk had even been entrusted with transporting a large golden cross that the Naimans always carried with them when at war. This practise reminded Rubruck of the golden cross that the Roman emperors used to bring with them when they were at war.

After a short, intense ride the Naiman cavalry clashed with the Kyrgiz army. The impact of the Naiman shock was devastating. The Naimans pushed forward and horsemen fell down in the cold snow on both sides. The advancing Naiman cavalry rode down Kygiz soldiers who fell from their horses and blistering blows with axes fell on the heads of the pagans. The white snow on the ground turned red.

The Naimans rode down the fleeing Kyrgiz cavalry and crushed their heads with the short axes they loved so much. No mercy was shown which was the custom in Mongolia.
Soon the few survivors in the Kyrgiz army were disappearing into the snowy mountains far away.

King Inancha Bilgei dismounted and sitting in the deep snow he crossed himself. “Make a joyful noise unto the Lord!” he exclaimed to the Naimans and an ear-splitting cheer rose through the air.

The rest of the campaign posed no problem and the Kyrgiz was annexed into the Naiman country.

Since the new province, Tchuma, was pagan Brother Rubruck decided to go there because he wanted to meet the pagans and study their primitive shaman belief. He brought Shimla with him and settled in Tchuma, a small, dirty village with tents and small houses made of wood. There was a terrible smell in the village since goats were running around everywhere in the village making life unbearable during the months when it wasn’t winter.

In 1188 the army received a very good leader too. His name was Kokse´u Sabrakh (4/3/3), A firm believer in the Nestorian wisdom. Optimism had returned in the Naiman country after these successful events but everyone knew that the Mongols still were waiting for an opportunity.

Hordes of Nestorian preachers moved in and miraculously the Nestorian priests made a quick job of converting the pagans. Already in 1189 the pagans were converted to the Nestorian faith. Brother Rubruck was impressed. The Nestorians sure knew how to spread their faith.

Another impressing development happened in the more worldly fields. The Naimans had traditionally used barter trade but lately they had adopted the use of coins. Their inexperience in the usage of coins had led to a massive minting process every time some expense had to be financed. With the benevolent counsel from brother Rubruck this had been stopped and the inflation was mastered and taken down to only 6,4 %.

Later that year depressing news arrived, brought by refuges from the Nestorian Keriats. The Mongols and the Uighurs had decided to make a joint attack and the Christian Keirat army had been utterly defeated. The pagans had slaughtered most men and then distributed women, children and land among their soldiers. Surprisingly the Mongols had let the Uighurs take the last Keirat province.

Many Naimans wept when they heard of the downfall of the Keirats. It somehow reminded them of their own destiny. A couple of Naimans even suggested that they should try to flee to safer territories to rescue women and children. Upon hearing this king addressed the Naimans.

“Fight and you may die. Run and you'll live, at least a while”. At this point Inancha Bilgei paused and made a bitter smile. “And, dying in your beds, many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that for one chance -- just one chance -- to come back here and tell the Mongols, that they may take our lives, but they'll never take our faith!”

Suddenly after a long moment of silence a chorus of voices rang out in the cold, inhospitable air. There in the freezing darkness, standing in the snow, the Naimans decided that they would stay and fight. Brother Rubruck was deeply impressed by this dedication. He decided that he would stay too and share the bleak future with the proud Naimans.

MAPS

The attack against the Kyrgiz

overview 1190

The Altais (pagan to the west), the Oirats to the east and the red is a province conquered by the Uighars (the last Keirat province). The purple blob is; yes the Mongols.

GAME INFO (1170-1190)

This period saw a reduced amount of active than the earlier period (1150-1170) so there is less to tell this time (read the Mongols were less active).

* Tayici´uts annexed by the Mongols.
* 1185 Exceptional year + 50 gold, - 3% inflation (yes!).
* 1187 Deflation – 5 % (double yes! had been minting coins frequently so my inflation rate was getting rather high).
* 1188 New leader Kokse´u Sabrakh 4/3/3 (need that).
* 1189 Conversion of heretic event, Tchuma (Kyrgiz pagan) converts to the Nestorian faith (this was a lucky string of events, when playing Roman Empire I only got revolts and events that raised the inflation).
* Mongols and Uighurs declare war on the Keirats (Nestorians too) and the Uighurs annex the Keirats (now I am truly the last Nestorian Christian country in the world).
*Mongols at war with Xi-Xia.
* Mongols cancel military access to Oirat land (ominous for them).

Excellent update, Judge. I really like looking at Naiman's affairs through Rubruck's eyes; somewhat it gives the feelings a Westerner would have had in those harsh steppe lands and among those tough steppe inhabitants.

Nice update. And you found a new place to use your old slogan "Deus Vult" again. :) I'm glad Brother Rubruck has found such happiness ;) and I hope the good times continue for the Naimans. That was a nice string of lucky events you had there. I'm sure you'll look back upon them fondly when the RNG turns around and goes the other way.

I knew you couldnt keep a girl out of it. Also the other religion dosnt appear. Did I do something wrong?

Holding on steadily, but how long before the Mongols come after you? It will surely be soon. Bilgei did a nice job convincing the people to stay. Let's hope he can do the same to get them to fight. ;)

mfigueras thanks and above all thanks for all the work with this great scenario! :)

jwolf, can´t let Rubruck spend all those days in cold without female company eh? :cool: - Couldn’t resist adding that KOJ reference here when I wrote the battle description.

billy bob, done anything wrong?, eh, sorry don’t think so?! Well girls are nice but I will keep this story tidy as promised so no Cum Deo writing here :)

coz, you could almost believe he was inspired by William Wallace, couldn’t you? :D

Semi-lobster, great to hear that! Congrats, this still a beta version but already it is very, very enjoyable :)

Hmm...I guess 'my' Mongols are way ahead of schedule then, if they're just now looking your way. Maybe your conquests intimidated them! :rofl:

Good job on your conquest btw! And I do like your monk.

Good luck Judge you're going to need it. I'm fooling around with a game as the Song and even with close to 75,000 men I lost a war with the Mongols. :eek: The military access was a stroke of good fortune which will give you a warning when they decide to come your way. I don't see how you can survive a war with them so keep your head down. :D

Joe

“Fight and you may die. Run and you'll live, at least a while”. At this point Inancha Bilgei paused and made a bitter smile. “And, dying in your beds, many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that for one chance -- just one chance -- to come back here and tell the Mongols, that they may take our lives, but they'll never take our faith!”

I can't help but chuckle at that. Good job so far, but the Mongols seem to have made a mistake in allowing their allies to annex the Keriats. I know from playing the mongols that waiting for the event that absorbs the tribes is far better, it even reduces badboy.