• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
One more thing, Paradox said they had mechanics for making smaller nations able to defend and maybe win against larger nations, but the battle modifiers are so soft that the biggest number still wins. I never think about terrain, passing a enemy castle might kill 150 men, so what, no battle modifier malus for behind enemy lines? Supply wont reach you that easily behind one or two castles.
Make medieval castles shine, they were a major slow down to warfare and immensily important in medieval times. I would give few exceptions to this rule, giving nomad horse peoples, like mongols and other steppe people able to raid and pass enemy castles without malus modifier, making them bad siegers, but a dangerous raider and open battle army.

This, this, this!!!

I do care about my MaA and in the first generation as I carefully try to counter the enemy's, using mercs with Pikemen to fight off Caballeros for example. But a bit later I have all the counters on my army anyway, and the levies out muscle everything so much that it doesn't even matter anymore. I can make a siege with an army of only levies with one single commander. If I lose men, they replenish so fast it never really mattered.

We need army management, terrain, tactic and commanders/knights to be hugelly more important! And this point deserves a thread by itself, if someone with a better skill for words than me would make it.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
The thing is that you were forced to involve in the dynastic politics of your neighbours because fabricating claims was almost always too unreliable and took too long. Yet you did appreciate when you had a courtier with +20 stats. Now I always use same strategy, fabricate claim, conquer neighbours, invest in skill tree for better cassus belli, conquer till I'm empire tier.
That's still the case though? Expanding through dynastic claims is and always has been, both quicker and cheaper than manually fabricating claims. Even if fabricating claims was instant, taking into account that for most of the game you can only press a single claim per war, and that each claim is normally for a single province and can often cost hundreds of ducats each, expanding through marriage is still more effective.

Making people not have to wait decades for fabricated claims, does not devalue the effectiveness of other methods of expansion.

Reactions:
This, this, this!!!

I do care about my MaA and in the first generation as I carefully try to counter the enemy's, using mercs with Pikemen to fight off Caballeros for example. But a bit later I have all the counters on my army anyway, and the levies out muscle everything so much that it doesn't even matter anymore. I can make a siege with an army of only levies with one single commander. If I lose men, they replenish so fast it never really mattered.

We need army management, terrain, tactic and commanders/knights to be hugelly more important! And this point deserves a thread by itself, if someone with a better skill for words than me would make it.
Yes! Giving us some more deeper strategic challenges in terms of combat, it would make the game so much better. You'll be more attached to your characters because they make the difference in an important war. Your stories will form organically and you have more a sense of accomplishment. I want the same epic feeling like defeating the ottomans as Serbia in Eu4 but with the rpg aspects of CK to make the situation more personal and storylike.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
That's still the case though? Expanding through dynastic claims is and always has been, both quicker and cheaper than manually fabricating claims. Even if fabricating claims was instant, taking into account that for most of the game you can only press a single claim per war, and that each claim is normally for a single province and can often cost hundreds of ducats each, expanding through marriage is still more effective.

Making people not have to wait decades for fabricated claims, does not devalue the effectiveness of other methods of expansion.
For me it isn't. Fabricating claims is simply the quickest and cheapest way to conquer neighbours as a count in CK3. In CK2 you're playing the game wrong if you do that, because there are way quicker ways to expand. Like inviting a courtier with multiple claims, marrying them of to your heir and inhereting all the land in the next generation. Or you could ask the pope to give you a claim to a duchy or kingdom. There were way more reliable ways to expand than fabricating claims in Ck2.

There are alternative ways in CK3 too but you can't deny that fabricating claims is the easiest, quickest and most efficient way to expand as a low tier character.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
For me it isn't. Fabricating claims is simply the quickest and cheapest way to conquer neighbours as a count in CK3. In CK2 you're playing the game wrong if you do that, because there are way quicker ways to expand. Like inviting a courtier with multiple claims, marrying them of to your heir and inhereting all the land in the next generation. Or you could ask the pope to give you a claim to a duchy or kingdom. There were way more reliable ways to expand than fabricating claims in Ck2.

There are alternative ways in CK3 too but you can't deny that fabricating claims is the easiest, quickest and most efficient way to expand as a low tier character.
Ah I thought you were talking about expansion generally. Is fabricating a claim the quickest way to expand short-term as a count? Yes. Is fabricating claims the quickest and most effecient way to expand as everyone else? No. There are specific scenarios in which fabricating a claim is the best tool for the job, but generally speaking the other methods you listed are better for general expansion.

This is all sort of beside the point I was originally trying to make though. MTTH works just fine for events, but it's simply too random for other gameplay elements like councillor tasks. In CK2, a claim fabrication with MTTH of 5 years could take less than a few months, whilst at the same time a county conversion with a MTTH of 5 years could end up taking decades. It wasn't fun, and it wasn't balanced.

I think a system with a limited amount of randomness would work better, in which for example a task that has a MTTH of 2 years should not take longer than 4 years and not take less than 1. I don't believe it would have an especially big impact on gameplay, but it might provide the dynamicity (is that a word?) that some people are looking for.

Reactions:
CK2 is a great game, with tons of content, quite more than CK3.
However, I remember how it looked like on the release day. I won't go into detail, comparing these two games at launch, as others have done that already. But it's important to note the developer mindset back then and now.

Even Paradox probably didn't anticipate this game development would last that long.
Game was getting expansions and patches, but the fans always wanted more. And yeah, Paradox wanted more $$$ obviously.
As a result, we had many features which weren't really optimized for future game growth. Merchant republics, horde mechanics, retinues, etc. All that stuff was basically slapped onto the game, like a piece of mud on a big blob pile.
On top of everything, performance issues were always a thing. Naturally, when something develops far beyond your original plans, you are going to have problems.

I see CK3 as a well structured game. Yes, the game lacks content right now, but there is a solid structure to it.
I believe Paradox has taken good time to plan ahead for the future and develop a game that will efficiently and tremendously grow over time.
And that's what CK3 needs right now: Time to grow.

I cannot recommend CK3 over CK2 right at this moment. But in my honest opinion, CK3 has potential to grow into something far better than it's predecessor.

Reactions:
Like I already mentioned I do not care too much about events, they should be there to give some flavor but they should not be a MAJOR part of the game. I have the same opinion about them on Stellaris, where I was also a little bit disappointed that events are a major part of the early exploration game.
But I think you get wrong something, you look to think that "more events and focus in the deeper of our characters with traits, psychology and stats =/= less deep and casual features like war and economy" when you think Paradox did bad to improve the character branch of the game because this wont let to expand to a more "strategical game" with trade and population, but this is not the point of CK, in CK we have some kind of state, on its majority the feudal system, where the important was the relationships along with families, dynasties, religion, claims and how prestigious was our character, any assemble to a modern state or a stable state like it was in Ancient Antiquity with a feudal system is not comparable, in that way CK3 improved a lot from CK2 and make it its own formula to people who want to roleplay or achieve objectives like an Empire/religion/culture could achieve in an enjoyable way, we could agree that mechanics like trade, the centralization of a modern state or like you said factions, like arystrocacy vs oligarchy vs monarchy, etc, should be aim to be expanded, in future expansions or updates, but right now, Paradox did an outstanding job with religions to create your own and to customizate.

I'm not saying that they should shrink the map, I'm saying that they shouldn't have made everyone playable at release, so we would have more content and flavor for the regions that are playable. After all, do I really feel like an African chief following the Egyptian pantheon in the middle of the dessert if I look like a bedouin, with no special decisions, no unique music or unit graphics, no special game mechanics, etc. Why should I ever play as a Mongolian Khan in CK3 if CK2 Horse Lords exists?

Well, if you make don't playable regions, modders will make them playable and the people will still play those nations that were playable in CK2 after dlcs, if you cut regions from the previous game, the people will call this a scam because this was/had to be playable after already being touched by dlcs in CK2, I think while Paradox will have to add expansion for regions to improve with more historical characters, cultures and flavours etc, they did a good job, and the world feels alive with so many units and variety, let remember you that paradox added new 3d models for the world. To shrine content and regions form the final map won't make the warfare, peace deals and diplomacy better. Just will add more events related to the base regions, stuff that right now you dislike.

If you want to play with a modern state or like a nation that can control nearly everything, EU4 and Imperator Rome are good enough for you, I played those games currently more because I like their playstyle, If you want to involve in commerce or population mechanics, Vicky 2 is waiting, but when I play with CK I expected to be more involved with my character fate and decisions, and to involve in intrigues and loyalties, to manage my duchy. CK3 is a strategic game, our tools are our characters, dynasty and court, to know how to manage them and use them to accomplish our objectives it is to our decision, that the game lack in centralization to a modern state or trade, it wont make the game lesser, but in fact, unique on its formula.

Reactions:
CK2 is a great game, with tons of content, quite more than CK3.
However, I remember how it looked like on the release day. I won't go into detail, comparing these two games at launch, as others have done that already. But it's important to note the developer mindset back then and now.

Even Paradox probably didn't anticipate this game development would last that long.
Game was getting expansions and patches, but the fans always wanted more. And yeah, Paradox wanted more $$$ obviously.
As a result, we had many features which weren't really optimized for future game growth. Merchant republics, horde mechanics, retinues, etc. All that stuff was basically slapped onto the game, like a piece of mud on a big blob pile.
On top of everything, performance issues were always a thing. Naturally, when something develops far beyond your original plans, you are going to have problems.

I see CK3 as a well structured game. Yes, the game lacks content right now, but there is a solid structure to it.
I believe Paradox has taken good time to plan ahead for the future and develop a game that will efficiently and tremendously grow over time.
And that's what CK3 needs right now: Time to grow.

I cannot recommend CK3 over CK2 right at this moment. But in my honest opinion, CK3 has potential to grow into something far better than it's predecessor.
I agree with that, Ck3 has a lot of potential and I'm sure it was better than Ck2 was at release. Even now I still recommend Ck3 over Ck2 to new players because it is way easier to get into. But I wrote my post from the point of view of someone who played Ck2 a lot.

I think most players can respect the fact that it was very unrealistic to expect the same amount of content as a complete version of Ck2, so I'm not going to complain about that. The point I'm trying to make here is that I wanted deeper strategic mechanics that were just not possible to do in Ck2 like reworked economics, Warfare, naval combat, etc. Something that gives me a reason to convert from a CK2 to a Ck3 player. Right now the only three features that managed to do that for other players are the 3d portraits, better written events and the lifestyle skill tree. I already explained in my older posts why I don't like the direction of the skill trees and the events.

I wrote this because I hope that future expansion will introduce new strategic game mechanics instead of just giving us more role playing flavor in the form of events and skill trees. Right now I think future dlc will just reintroduce the stuff that is missing from CK2 with more of an emphasis on events and skills. Like being able to become a Satanist once again and having a lot of funny/absurd events around that. What I fear is that future expansions won't improve the game via new strategic game mechanics like trade, guilds or military orders. You might ask... "Why are you saying this? We didn't even receive any news yet about the new dlc." Well, because the absurd meme-like event stuff just sells better. Just look at the steam & reddit discussions where everyone is lolling because of the incest jokes or the amount of people that shares their hideous looking family. The joke videos about Ck3 on YouTube are trending, but more serious (skill-like) videos barely get any attention. Even the promotion of the game focused more on the meme-antics. Random events and doing absurd things like becoming a Satanist enhance this jokingly aspect of the game, so my guess is that we will get a lot of expansions like this.

We haven't seen anything about the new expansion yet so I'm not going to complain about anything that hasn't even happened yet, but I just hope that PDX will also improve Ck3 in the direction that I proposed in my previous posts.

Last edited:
  • 7Like
Reactions:
I agree with that, Ck3 has a lot of potential and I'm sure it was better than Ck2 was at release. Even now I still recommend Ck3 over Ck2 to new players because it is way easier to get into. But I wrote my post from the point of view of someone who played Ck2 a lot.

I think most players can respect the fact that it was very unrealistic to expect the same amount of content as a complete version of Ck2, so I'm going to complain about that. The point I'm trying to make here is that I wanted deeper strategic mechanics that were just not possible to do in Ck2 like reworked economics, Warfare, naval combat, etc. Something that gives me a reason to convert from a CK2 to a Ck3 player. Right now the only three features that managed to do that for other players are the 3d portraits, better written events and the lifestyle skill tree. I already explained in my older posts why I don't like the direction of the skill trees and the events.

I wrote this because I hope that future expansion will introduce new strategic game mechanics instead of just giving us more role playing flavor in the form of events and skill trees. Right now I think future dlc will just reintroduce the stuff that is missing from CK2 with more of an emphasis on events and skills. Like being able to become a Satanist once again and having a lot of funny/absurd events around that. What I fear is that future expansions won't improve the game via new strategic game mechanics like trade, guilds or military orders. You might ask... "Why are you saying this? We didn't even receive any news yet about the new dlc." Well, because the absurd meme-like event stuff just sells better. Just look at the steam & reddit discussions where everyone is lolling because of the incest jokes or the amount of people that shares their hideous looking family. The joke videos about Ck3 on YouTube are trending, but more serious (skill-like) videos barely get any attention. Even the promotion of the game focused more on the meme-antics. Random events and doing absurd things like becoming a Satanist enhance this jokingly aspect of the game, so my guess is that we will get a lot of expansions like this.

We haven't seen anything about the new expansion yet so I'm not going to complain about anything that hasn't even happened yet, but I just hope that PDX will also improve Ck3 in the direction that I proposed in my previous posts.

Well, I like to think and for sure it is, people who play the game it si because they find enjoyable and challenging enough the game, the people like alextherambler, Tommykay and that Belgium guy (sorry I don't remember his name) have their own public, just to call more the attention to a casual public, that it isn't really bad, it gives chance to people to experience and check about the game they were playing, I had played Total war and civilization and Anno since I was a kid, and I knew about paradox and HOI4 when I watched some meme videos like "Axis-Allies-Coalitions-etc in a nutshell" after that I am a paradox player because I started with HOI4 and then continue with Eu4 and CK2. Then came Imperator and well... I am still waiting for the Marius Update and then come CK3. That won't mean that people wouldn't want a more serious experience, people like SurrealBeliefs - YouTube and a lot of guides in YT have A LOT of views, of course, they won't be the most viewer, by that because you won't repeat to see the same tutorial again and again, just until the next expansion the big update arrives.

I understand that you as a player of CK2 with a lot of hours need better reasons to recommend the game, like deeper mechanics as trade and warfare, I agree, but me as a player of Hoi4 and Imperator, I want to CK3 to stand on her own and bright/shine on her strengths like it is good characters. Does that mean that warfare, trade and diplomacy won't and can't be improved in CK3? Negative, in fact, if I approved new ck games was because it was required already to see an engine so modders and devs could improve what is was lack and laggy in ck2.

But @zaboli to not to see the improvements and a better deep system like Religion, building managements possibilities, units for war, MaA, better map and terrains, better crusades, more intrigues like an improve revolt system (in ck2 all the time was vassal rebellion or plebs) and hooks and new intrigues, well, you aren't analyzing at all of the good stuff that CK3 bring of ck2 and new mechanics on its own new to the franchise.

Reactions:
Well, I like to think and for sure it is, people who play the game it si because they find enjoyable and challenging enough the game, the people like alextherambler, Tommykay and that Belgium guy (sorry I don't remember his name) have their own public, just to call more the attention to a casual public, that it isn't really bad, it gives chance to people to experience and check about the game they were playing, I had played Total war and civilization and Anno since I was a kid, and I knew about paradox and HOI4 when I watched some meme videos like "Axis-Allies-Coalitions-etc in a nutshell" after that I am a paradox player because I started with HOI4 and then continue with Eu4 and CK2. Then came Imperator and well... I am still waiting for the Marius Update and then come CK3. That won't mean that people wouldn't want a more serious experience, people like SurrealBeliefs - YouTube and a lot of guides in YT have A LOT of views, of course, they won't be the most viewer, by that because you won't repeat to see the same tutorial again and again, just until the next expansion the big update arrives.

I understand that you as a player of CK2 with a lot of hours need better reasons to recommend the game, like deeper mechanics as trade and warfare, I agree, but me as a player of Hoi4 and Imperator, I want to CK3 to stand on her own and bright/shine on her strengths like it is good characters. Does that mean that warfare, trade and diplomacy won't and can't be improved in CK3? Negative, in fact, if I approved new ck games was because it was required already to see an engine so modders and devs could improve what is was lack and laggy in ck2.

But @zaboli to not to see the improvements and a better deep system like Religion, building managements possibilities, units for war, MaA, better map and terrains, better crusades, more intrigues like an improve revolt system (in ck2 all the time was vassal rebellion or plebs) and hooks and new intrigues, well, you aren't analyzing at all of the good stuff that CK3 bring of ck2 and new mechanics on its own new to the franchise.
Thanks for your insights. I don't have anything against the meme-like videos and it is a good way to introduce new players to PDX games. But it isn't too far-fetched to see why I would think the game would move more towards that direction.

I never denied that there are improvements a lot of people probably think now that I hate CK3 thanks to this thread lol. Like I said I just wanted to make two things clear:

1. That I hope that future expansions would focus more on the grand strategy aspect. More events and weird stuff is fine, but don't neglect the GS roots.
2. That I currently see no reason to play CK3 if CK2 exists. CK2 still has way more content and offers more strategic options due to all the attention the game has gotten over the years. The improvements simply don't outweigh the lack of content, flavor & balance issues for me. I don't expect for CK3 to have more content, but I do expect that i'm able to enjoy CK3 without being constantly reminded that CK2 "currently" offers a superior experience. It may be a ridiculous example but I also would be playing FIFA 20 instead FIFA 21, if there was a main focus on graphics and immersion, but you couldn't do dribble tricks anymore, the AI is worse, half of the teams have no motion capture, etc. If that was the case, I would just choose the game that offers the best football experience. And for me, it's the same with CK2 and CK3. Yes, I know that CK3 will sooner or later surpass CK2, and for some people it already has. But for me, CK2 is still superior.

Still don't agree with all your point about improvements except for intrigue. MaA are almost the same as retinues in CK2 and they don't offer much depth in combat. I don't know why you are saying that the crusades have improved because it functions exactly the same as in holy fury, but with Muslims that can't defend themselves. And the revolt system also just gives you an indication now when the peasants will revolt, but for the rest its still pretty much the same thing as in CK2. Like I said the only real thing that almost sold me over were the 3D portraits,.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:

It kind of does. If you can get a fabricated claim in ~1year with a good bishop, why should you ever use marriage for claims instead of using marriage for genes? It's always worth it to marry a lowborn genius atm. But I think the current claim fabrication is better than the previous MTTH one - it was just too random. However, fabricating claims should take longer. At least a few years, even with a very good bishop. Currently you can easily fabricate claims on all of Ireland within one lifetime. Oh, and the "buy claims" perk is even worse.

Reactions:
Agree with OP entirely. I posted something similar although perhaps more impassioned and got ripped to shreds shortly after release.
3 months since release im still waiting to play the game I bought.

Reactions:
I will add that Raise only MaA etc. is a must to add to the game. Also raise your and vassal levies separately.

Reactions:
I will add that Raise only MaA etc. is a must to add to the game. Also raise your and vassal levies separately.

I want the possibility to choose what MaA regiments to raise at a certain rally point. I sometime like to move armies on two different rally points in order to attached on two different location at the same time. With the current system that means I have one army with MaAs and one without. That sucks. In some other situations I might only fight in mountains and don't even want to raise cavalry. So, it would be great to decided at raising what and where to raise it. Same for knights by the way. I want to decide where to raise my knights.

I also want the possibility to split up a regiment on two different armies. Especially for siege engines. Let's say I have a regiment with 60 siege engines, but want to attack two castles with two armies at a time, I have to go 60 siege engines Army A and 0 siege engines Army B. But I want 30 in each to lower siege time in both sieges. Right now I have to have two different siege engine regiments which is a waste since it takes away on regiment which I could use for another regiment type. Hate this....

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
It kind of does. If you can get a fabricated claim in ~1year with a good bishop, why should you ever use marriage for claims instead of using marriage for genes? It's always worth it to marry a lowborn genius atm. But I think the current claim fabrication is better than the previous MTTH one - it was just too random. However, fabricating claims should take longer. At least a few years, even with a very good bishop. Currently you can easily fabricate claims on all of Ireland within one lifetime. Oh, and the "buy claims" perk is even worse.
I don't disagree with you that the time it takes to fabricate a claim currently could do with being rebalanced, but I very strongly disagree with the assertion that fabricating claims is superior to other methods of expansion, such as marriage.

Let's say for example you're the king of England in the 1100s, and you want to become king of France. You can probably relatively easily get a claim on the throne through marriage, and with a bit of diplomatic and military dancing, take it in a single war. By contrast, if you were to try conquer France via claim fabrications, even if you got ducal fabricated claims this would take a ridiculous amount of time (given that for most of the game you can only press a single claim per war), and not to mention ducats.

I'd also like to add that marrying for claims and marrying for genes are not mutually exclusive. Do agree that the 'buy claims' perk could perhaps be neutered a little tho.

I don't disagree with you that the time it takes to fabricate a claim currently could do with being rebalanced, but I very strongly disagree with the assertion that fabricating claims is superior to other methods of expansion, such as marriage.

Let's say for example you're the king of England in the 1100s, and you want to become king of France. You can probably relatively easily get a claim on the throne through marriage, and with a bit of diplomatic and military dancing, take it in a single war. By contrast, if you were to try conquer France via claim fabrications, even if you got ducal fabricated claims this would take a ridiculous amount of time (given that for most of the game you can only press a single claim per war), and not to mention ducats.

I'd also like to add that marrying for claims and marrying for genes are not mutually exclusive. Do agree that the 'buy claims' perk could perhaps be neutered a little tho.

I agree. Fabricating claim is great in the beginning of a game or when you have "space" for an extra county in your domain and you want to handpick a good one for income and levies. But in my recent playthroughs I took whole Kingdoms either by holy war or by pressing kingdom claims for court or family members. That is how you really expand your realm. Fabricating claims is not really the way doing that. The speed is ok.....can be pretty slow by the way if you have a Court Chaplain with single digit learning skill....my last two ones had learning 3 and learning 5?!??!!! We need Investiture Controversy in the game.....keep repeating myself....but seriously.....

• 2Like
Reactions:
Yeah Im also a bit frustrated with the direction paradox have went with CK3 becuase CK2 Was amazing for role play and playing your own way.

CK3 you whil Never be able To develope your character after the age of 16. For example you get tought soldier now you Can NEVER increase that trait to experienced soldier aswell.

role play is just not there in CK3 becuase the game limits you and forces you to play How the game want you To play becuase stress and stuff being locked behind a skill tree and not being able to develope your character at all.

I understand CK3 is a new game but i was hoping it would have basic mechanics At launch that was in CK2 for an example when your tribal you need to be able to convert feudal holdings to tribal....

notifications/ warning Atleast they could have made it so you get notification If your capital is being siege or even when your Grand kids Become of age becuase they are automaticly put in as commander in Your army same with your own kids

raiding as viking,
You essentielly get stuck when your raiding does not make any sence but worst of all you Can Only raid a country If they are in a war becuase otherwise they whil always catch you.

everyone has unlimited boats

raising Levies you Can just teleport everywhere

combat has been made worse

Reactions:
Great input @pengoyo i don't really disagree with your points but it is clear to me that we like the CK series for different reasons. Like I already mentioned I do not care too much about events, they should be there to give some flavor but they should not be a MAJOR part of the game. I have the same opinion about them on Stellaris, where I was also a little bit disappointed that events are a major part of the early exploration game.

I'm not saying that they should shrink the map, I'm saying that they shouldn't have made everyone playable at release, so we would have more content and flavor for the regions that are playable. After all, do I really feel like an African chief following the Egyptian pantheon in the middle of the dessert if I look like a bedouin, with no special decisions, no unique music or unit graphics, no special game mechanics, etc. Why should I ever play as a Mongolian Khan in CK3 if CK2 Horse Lords exists?

Trade shouldn't be exactly like I proposed, but I think that introducing some kind of economic system would make each region feel so much more unique. You don't need to have special game mechanics to have a different experience if some kind of economy exists. Playing in the baltic in EU4 at release for example was entirely different from playing in Italy because of the trading system. In Stellaris and IR, you'll have access to unique units not because of unique cultures but because of trade goods. I also think that there is no sense of progression in CK3, so seeing that your economy is building up, will keep you hooked longer and you'll have some sense of accomplishment if you made your kingdom from a medieval backwater into a prospering place.

I can agree with your point about peace deals. I said that players should be more restricted in how much provinces they can take in a war with EU4 peace deal system. Stellaris' system maybe would indeed work better. All I'm asking is if there are actual consequences if you're kingdom is fully occupied, and that not each war feels like total war.

Factions have a lot of potential indeed. It could be mix of EU4 estates and the current faction system. Where you could do interactions with them, but they are also the reason why a civil war could ignite. New factions could spawn throughout your campaign depending on your decisions.

MaA are not same at all in with I proposed. I specifically meant to fully customize a military order. Let us give them a name, give them a role, customize what kind of order they are like a bodyguard of a foreign culture or a slave army etc. This was just an example of giving the player more choice in what kind of kingdom they create.

Thank you for the response. I agree that it seems we like CK series for different reason which is a cool thing about these games (also I do hope you get an expansion that add elements that let you enjoy the game more). But while still not fully in favour of all of your proposals, your clarifications have improved my view of them and I agree with most of what you said.

The main disagreement I have is over the role of events. While I agree that the role of events should be minimized where possible to put other mechanics that let players take a more active role. But I do think events should play an important role in allowing the player to respond to off map activities. I think having the events add some RNG is good (though I agree they shouldn't come too powerful) for keeping the game from getting stale. But I am a fan of the rolling with the punches style, which I know not every is fond of.

Lastly, I 100% agree that not having to siege an entire realm to win a war would be a welcome change.

Ah yes, the old MTTH system for councillor tasks, where you wait for anytime between tomorrow and the end of time itself. Making new players in Ireland wait 20 years for a single claim whilst they twiddle their thumbs as a count sure is dynamic, but I'm not quite sure I'd describe it as 'great'.

Don't get me wrong I understand what you mean in that perhaps councillor tasks at the moment are too quick and static in length, however I don't want to ever see the MTTH system attached to tasks again like in CK2. There's definitely a happy medium that can be achieved.

I feel like if the game gave a range of time rather than an approximate end date, it would allow for greater variability in length, but still without the complete randomness of MTTH. Could even have separate numbers affect the average length versus the window you know.

So for example, it could be that the councilor's skill affects the average length of time it takes for the skill to happen, but the player character's relevant skill could affect the size of the range that is reported to the player. So a highly skill councilor will get things done faster, while a highly skilled player character would be better able to predict how long a task will take.

The thing is: When I reach the point where I'd not fight a war for less than a whole kingdom, I'm already bored.
For be, starting small and becoming powerful is where the fun is. And while you're reasonably small, fabricating claims is just better than everything else. At some point after that you buy claims and once you'd consider marrying the emperors daughter to get another empire, I've already quit.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I am awaiting DLC for Byzantine Empire and Southeast Asia.

• 3Love
Reactions: