• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Thaarael

Recruit
9 Badges
Nov 25, 2019
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
So far, I am enjoying game a lot, but one thing started to iritate me a lot recently.

I have a medium (in my opinio) size colony of roughly 700 souls and 15 domes (mixed, screenshot attached; I want it to look aesthetical and in the end it will be symetrical and close to hex shape), and I am constantly fighting with homelessness, especially of children. I have large number of nurseries set across domes, with some domes having 3-4 of them, but even when there is space, children are not moving there (even from close domes) and need to be asigned manually each time; similar thing happens with youths, although this is somehow understandable, as distances between nurseries and new domes tend to be larger than those between domes with children homelessness problem and those with nurseries with free space. But even considering that, it feels like constant fight aganist counter, with homeless appearing at this point faster than I manage to build new homes, not even saying about new domes. Looks like I get +30-40 pop every sol, which is literally unmanageable manually at this point, as before I get new dome fully finished, there comes next wave and I need to build another dome, only to find it not sufficient, as population have grown already...
So, is there any way to automate that micromanagment, other than turning "Births allowed" off for entire colony for a longer period and make kind of demographic booms from time to time instead of continued constant births? Like a mod of some kind? Seriously, it feels like I can't even take my eyes from domes for single moment to set blueprint for new infrastructure, for I risk getting army of homeless in a short while.

Attachments

• Screenshot0002.jpg
    Screenshot0002.jpg
    672,7 KB · Views: 72
It's more about me feeling very uncomfortable about them, however there is still cumulative negative effect on their Comfort, which turns into lower work efficiency and loss of morale, so Renegades problem may appear. Generaly I'd want to have stable population with slow but steady grow instead of endless demographic boom after reaching critical mass of colonists number, as I'd want to spend more time on planing expansion of both colony and terraforming project rather than on micromanaging every single person unable to find home futher than 1 dome away.

EDIT
Also, when amount of homeless people in dome reach certain point (marked by colonist icon on orage background next to dome on quick access bar), there won't be new births in that dome as long as homeless remain there, so having them not managed can potentially lead to death of entire colony due to aging of the society.

Make a medium dome (or maybe 2-3 for a colony your size), and put in 2 schools and the rest nurseries and playgrounds. Set the immigration policy for that dome to desire children and disallow everything else. All children should eventually make their way to a nursery dome this way.

You also probably want a food depot immediately adjacent to the dome, although if connected to a service dome by a short passage you don't have to (but it might fill services with children, who don't care as long as they eat, instead of adults who take a comfort penalty if they can't get into a food service when hungry... I'm not actually sure if children will use food services at all, or just pick up from the food storage of the service, so maybe it doesn't matter.).

You can hasten the moving by excluding children in the immigration policy of all the other domes, and that will make them move very quickly. It isn't necessary and I generally try not to set unnecessary policies so I don't mess up natural movement patterns, but in this case it's just children so there's not really any other behavior to interfere with.

You can theoretically do the same thing by having concentrated nursery areas within larger domes, except obviously then you won't exclude other age groups in a mixed-use dome. It can get a bit more complicated and impact work efficiency though.

If you have a lot of homeless anyway, you may just have too many births. As I develop more comfort, more longevity, etc., I usually only allow births in a few domes while I'm remaining the same size, and turn births on for a few more if I'm actively building new domes.

Edit: Oh. This is from a month ago. I guess I should check dates before replying...

Last edited: