• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I just read through this all in the last couple days, and I have to say...wow! I've loved reading this AAR, and it keeps getting better and better. Kiten and Serlo are probably my two favorite characters so far. Great job!

Well deserved indeed. Have fun, Mr. C. ;)
Thanks, it was fun.

Oh you don't know how many times I have clicked upon this AAR. :rolleyes:

Berlin?
Berlin-Cölln you mean?

And didn't they have any other proper towns around that area? :rolleyes:
:p to you and your turbo clicking. ;)

Not really, Berlin and Cölln were all I found, but my atlas labled Berlin and not Cölln so I chose Berlin as the name.

Well deserved, my friend.

Like Isaac, il like the Sword and Salt Diplomacy :D
Thank you. Sword and Salt is beginning to dominate European politics.

I just read through this all in the last couple days, and I have to say...wow! I've loved reading this AAR, and it keeps getting better and better. Kiten and Serlo are probably my two favorite characters so far. Great job!
Wow, welcome aboard and thanks for the kind words!

Kiten and Serlo and definitely my favorite characters. Meinkinus was my favorite King - thrust into power but not truly wanting it.

Eadbert and Aelle have been my fave
If Eadbert hadn't been baptised into Orthodoxy to you think you would of helped the west in the fight against the Caliph?

Homelands
Chapter Twenty Six: Darkest Before Dusk
Part 1

Prelude:
The war between Prussia and Germany lasted one major confrontation before the German Kings surrendered. Outside of small settlement of western Brandenburg called Luckenwalde two massive armies met and the Prussians triumphed over the forces of Germany, under the command of Priest-King Otto von Zähringen. Over 14,000 Germans were left dead and another 3,000 were left for dead by the retreating German armies. King Karnak resisted the urge to invade Germany and remained in Brandenburg, where he accepted the German surrender in April of 1254. His son, Kiten, remained in Brandenburg following the end of the war as the appointed regent until Heinrich passed. The Prince welcomed the distraction from his everyday duties as a diplomat and heir to the throne. As brief as the war was between Germany and Prussia, its effects were profound especially in the Infinite War and the stability of Germany itself. Immediately after the defeat at Luckenwalde the Netherlands succeeded from Germany under the rule of King William van Holland. The tables were turned. The West was doomed to fall under the control of Islam. With the East completely unwilling to help it was only a matter of time before it was over.

GermanyandNetherlands.png

Germany and the Netherlands in 1254.

March 16th, 1254

A light snow blew around Prince Kiten's feet as he surveyed the battleground. Under dark skies an eerie feeling filled the thoughts of all who were nearby. Bodies littered the ground, left there by the retreating Germans. The Prussians and Wends were unwilling to remove them as well, they had been the enemy and they still were. Kiten, however, was unsure, but he couldn't burry 14,000 men alone. When the smell finally got to him he left the field, but there was no place far enough away to escape the putrid stench of death.

"You okay, Kiten?" Andres asked. He put his hand on Kiten's shoulder and got him to look him in the face. "You haven't so much as grunted since the battle!"

"Stupidity, Andres! Stupidity! This whole damned battle was avoidable... but the Germans are too stupid to know any better! Women and children..." Kiten began to break down, sobbing as he tried to stiffen his lip again, "They sent women and children into battle armed with only a bible! They literally waited until the cavalry was too close to stop and ran out to try to halt fully armored knights with their bodies."

Andres was silent, he hadn't heard of that until now. Kiten walked away from his stunned friend back toward Luckenwalde. On a small mound Kiten saw a German banner, the well known flag of the Teutonic Knights. The banner was still in the bloody grip of a knight. Kiten stooped down and saw that on the knight's helmet was a crown of gold, royalty. There was a small coat of arms on the crown... "He was the Duke of Anhalt," Kiten shouted over to Andres, "We should report that to the Germans." Andres nodded.

Battle_of_Grunwald_After_the_Battle.jpg

After Luckenwalde.

"I think we found a better one!" Jakob shouted. Kiten looked down to where Jakob stood in the center of a depression. Kiten folded the Duke's hands and then ran over to his friend. On the ground was a young man clad in red finery, the coat of arms of Zähringen emblazoned on his chest. "It is Otto's son, Ludwig."

"How can you tell, Jakob?" Kiten asked, searching the body for clues.

"Well, the crown on the helmet helps, but the crest has the mark of the first-born son, he has the Imperial banner, and he definitely looks as if he had been given the finest armor in all of Europe. Who else could it be?" Jakob asked solemnly.

"No, you are right... it is definitely Ludwig... Damned... They really committed a lot to this battle..." Kiten shook his head and folded Ludwig's hands as he did the Duke's. "Klaudijs? Klaudijs!" the Prince shouted.

"Yes, your majesty?"

"Get me some soldiers with carts, we found two bodies that need to be moved quickly, we'll search for more."

"Right away." Klaudijs signaled for a few soldiers to bring a horse-drawn cart.

"Be careful with those two... we need them in good condition for the Germans to receive them. Don't tell the men who they are. I don't need them defiling bodies on my watch." Kiten sighed, did he really have to worry about men defiling bodies? Is this what they had come to? Pissing on the bodies of the dead?

"Who should we gather up?" Klaudijs asked.

"Royalty... anyone above the title of Knight, really. I'd suggest also looking for any that might still be alive... the frost last night should have gotten rid of any stragglers... but who knows what miracle might occur after this monstrosity." Kiten continued to pick though the bodies as he headed toward Luckenwalde.

"Count!" a voice called behind him. And so it began, the petty identification of those who could be identified. But so many more would be forever forgotten, nameless and faceless peons who had been thrown onto a butcher's table. Kiten could feel is sorrow turning to hatred, a smoldering and painful hatred for the Priest-King and his stupidity, his insolence, his uncaring view of every other life form on this planet. His stupid Infinite War had finally boiled over and brought Prussia into the European mess.

The Prince sat down on the cold ground, looking up into the cloud muddled skies and wondered what the future had in store for him. Would it be nothing but war like it has been for Germany? Kiten let out a sigh and watched his breath swirl around in the air in front of him. The sounds around him dimmed as he zoned out, watching the snowflakes drift slowly to Earth. In time the drifts would erase the bodies of men and horses from the world. Not too far off in the distance sat Luckenwalde. The town was trying to forget the horrors that befell the world only a few days ago.

"Prince! Prince?" Klaudijs shouted. He searched around and not too far from where he stood he saw Kiten's dark curly hair and back facing him. He ran over to Kiten and prodded him with his toe, "My lord, it is getting cold. We would not want you to get sick. Let us go back to Berlin."

"Fine, let us return to Berlin," Kiten finally said after a long pause and reflection.

"I fear this battle has gotten to you... in time you will move on."

"How can I forget this, Klaudijs?"

"I never said you'd forget. I said you'd move on. Now, let's go."

Eadbert and Aelle have been my fave
If Eadbert hadn't been baptised into Orthodoxy to you think you would of helped the west in the fight against the Caliph?

It is an interesting what-if scenario. I am not sure. Eadbert might have helped, but he would have held back as there was little for him to gain personally. Russia would have been his main target, not Poland... that is for sure.

Early Turkish emigration to Germany beginneth?
THERE WILL BE KEBAB!

:rofl:

Kiten must grow up. People die and you must accept that. Berlin chose the lesser evil by joining Prussia. That way a German army died. If they would've choosed the bigger evil. That place would be destroyed first by marching germans, then by muslims.

Women forgive but never forget, men don't forgive but forget. :p

Early Turkish emigration to Germany beginneth? :cool:
THERE WILL BE KEBAB!
I love Döner. :cool:

:rofl:

Kiten must grow up. People die and you must accept that. Berlin chose the lesser evil by joining Prussia. That way a German army died. If they would've choosed the bigger evil. That place would be destroyed first by marching germans, then by muslims.
This is actually one of the few epic battles to really be part of the gameplay. It was the AI's usual idea of devoting all of its forces against the human player, it let the Muslims do some serious damage. But it did mean a pretty epic-sized battle.

Homelands
Chapter Twenty Six: Darkest Before Dusk
Part 2

Prelude:
By the end of 1254 Heinrich Margrave of Brandenburg had died and a new Prince was elected in his place. Prince Kiten was called back to Memelgrád so that he could deal with issues that Yusuf had brought up. Kiten was glad to be out of the backwaters of the Empire and back into the cities and parties of the Baltic Coast. By spring of 1255 Kiten had let the battle stay behind him and had returned to his cheerful self. It was during this time that Kiten met his eventual first mistress and eventual second wife, Rasa, his cross cousin through his father. It was also a time for reorganization. King Karnak was planning on expanding Sviendorog's road system in both directions: toward Brandenburg and into Tver and Zaporozhia. He also found it time to undo his tax reforms, prompting celebration and a return to economic growth for the peasants and the middle class. Kiten also got Karnak to reinstate the full rights of Prussian Jewry before the nation experienced a hemorrhaging of important city officials, bankers and merchants. Prussia settled into a period of internal work and building. Europe settled into a precarious peace, one that was completely unexpected and unknown to her inhabitants.

InfiniteWar1255.png

Western Europe in 1255 with the major participants of the Infinite War in colour. The Great Caliphate of Toledo in Green; The Caliphate of Naples in Light Green; The Kingdom of the Netherlands in Pink; The Holy Kingdom of Germany in Olive; The Emirate of Carthage in Navy; The O'Brien Uprising in Blue; The Kingdom of England in Red; and the Duchy of Moray in Dark Blue.

May 4th, 1255

Rasa adjusted the top of her dress and messed with her hair, all trying to get ready to capture Kiten's attention. Not every branch of the royal family was as green and successful as the ruling branch. Her father was on the verge of bankruptcy and it was up to her to try to turn it all around. She peered around the corner, her cousin was sitting at a table with Yusuf Hadad. They had been talking for almost two hours now and Rasa was starting to become impatient. Yusuf was briefing him on a peace settlement between Germany and the Caliph, the first in almost two hundred years. Kiten face was deadly serious, it was not the face she had seen in the past. Finally a conclusion seemed to be reached and Kiten smiled, reaching out to shake Yusuf's hand. As Kiten got up to leave, Rasa stood up and acted as if headed in the opposite direction and bumped into him.

Kiten, however, stopped when he saw her and smiling, placed a hand on her stomach kept her from entering the room he had just left. "Sorry, m'lady, nothing to see in there."

"Oh... I am sorry your majesty, I... uh... was looking for the sun room," Rasa lied quickly. Kiten's eyes fixed on her briefly, sort of analyzing her. He increased the pressure on her stomach and she gave way, letting him pushy her back the way she had came. "So, what did mister Yusuf want?" she asked, but after the words left her lips she regretted it.

"Hmm, you seem to have impeccable hearing to have know I was speaking to Hadad," Kiten looked down at her and smiled knowingly. "But... he was telling me that Germany had surrendered to the Caliph. Unfortunately that doesn't mean much... the Infinite War continues in Italy," Kiten lamented.

The two passed through an arched doorway into a large open area connecting a wing of the palace to the main body. Sun light from the south poured in, casting long shadows behind them as they walked. The hard marble floors and walls let their footsteps echo in the empty room. Kiten spoke, quietly, of his travels throughout the Kingdom and the surrounding environs.

Eventually the two came upon the main dining room, which was being prepared for the coming meal. "Shall we part until dinner?" Kiten asked.

"But why, m'lord?"

"Do you not need time to clean up for the meal?" Kiten asked, raising his eyebrow.

"Well, I... uh... do I need to clean up?" she asked, trying to stand in proper light to give Kiten a good view to decide. He chuckled and patted her on the back.

"That isn't the point, it is traditional, I can send some maids up to help you if you want. I doubt it is much trouble," the Prince swallowed and moved his hands from a position pointing toward the visitor's hall to behind his back.

Rasa was confused, she was not used to the world of the rich aristocrats. Her father was a poor land-owner from outside the capital. They lived in a small castle that had been built in 1071 after the initial expansion of the small nation. A displaced Saxon elder eventually passed it through his daughter to a lesser son of Eadbert whose line still controlled it. They were not often invited to Royal meetings or dinners, she had no idea what she was supposed to look like or what she was supposed to do. So she just nodded, dumbfounded, and followed two maids back up to her room.

Kiten was left standing alone in the dining room, but as he walked toward the throne room he was not alone for long.

"Master Kiten, I am glad I found you!" Klaudijs said, joining his ward. "Who was that beautiful young lady you were just with?"

"I don't actually know, Klaudijs, I ran into her near Yusuf's quarters. She claimed to be lost, but I don't believe her."

"A spy?"

"Unlikely. She doesn't ask the right questions. I suitor, I believe, Klaudijs, I wouldn't be surprised if father put her up to this."

Klaudijs's face contorted in confusion he shook his head in disagreement, "That cannot be it... your father just sent me to tell you that you have an official suitor here to eat with you this evening."

"What?" Kiten exclaiemd.

"Yes, a Cecile Kyntling, the daughter of the Prince of Pomerania and the Danish Isles. You father is quite fonder of her and her father, who is also here... I believe that they would like if you two would spend the evening trying to get to know one another."

"Damned!" Kiten said, he spun around once trying to recover and think, "Fine... my father shall have his night. But he shall not win this time." Kiten declared, putting a finger into Klaudijs's face.

"Kiten, you cannot remain a bachelor forever... who is to become King after you? One of your bastards? You cannot be serious," Klaudijs said, distain thick in his voice.

"You never know, my good Klaudijs, when I am King I can do as I please, and if it means making a bastard King... it shall be done. I might also make you walk around on your hands, so watch yourself, my good friend." Kiten laughed and Klaudijs bit his lip and shook his head.

"We truly are doomed, aren't we, m'lord?"

"Maybe. I hope not. But I make no promises I cannot keep."

Kiten has a very healthy attitude. For a person from modern times not someone from the dark ages. And the fact he has a bit of childishness in him doesn't help.

He's a good guy, and we have plenty of time left with him.

Anyways, classes begin again tomorrow, so delays might be more spaced out... or maybe not. It depends on how classes are.

I like Kiten, but he is... somewhat Modern...

Great update regardless.

Oh! a Bastred King would be intresting, but what would be more intersting is a bastred son of the king, invading.... Sweeden (since England is Taken) and winning the whole place easily.

Good luck. I still have another week.

I think Kiten is one of those counter-culture fellows. Someone who goes against traditional, accepted norms.

I like Kiten, but he is... somewhat Modern...

Great update regardless.

Oh! a Bastred King would be intresting, but what would be more intersting is a bastred son of the king, invading.... Sweeden (since England is Taken) and winning the whole place easily.

I don't think Mr. C ever has talked about Scandinavia. How are they doing up there?

Hey guys, we are at 34 hours without sleep! Getting ready for bed... but excited that I might be making a custom guitar from scratch this summer as part of an engineering workshop. Help me come up with ideas...

Kiten seems modern, yes... but in a lot of ways most of the characters are, because I am the one writing them and I live now. ;) Kiten more so because he is new to the scene and serves a different purpose then the grumpy old men who followed him.

Scandinavia falls off of the radar for a bit, they are not too far out of sight, but basically this is a period of hegemony for Prussia, the Baltic Sea is her playground and the Scandinavian nations just sit back and take it. Before the end of Book One, though, Sweden takes the lead of the Christian forces in the Infinite War. :eek:

but excited that I might be making a custom guitar from scratch this summer as part of an engineering workshop. Help me come up with ideas...

You mean the looks? Pure over the top metal is the way.

The body should be a bloodied axe, the neck should have images of dragonslayers and other epic things while the headstock should look like a dragon's head.

You mean the looks? Pure over the top metal is the way.

The body should be a bloodied axe, the neck should have images of dragonslayers and other epic things while the headstock should look like a dragon's head.

That is what I am thinking, but I am trying to get my ideas on paper so I can figure things our and speak with the Professor in the mean time.

Goths shall again shake the cores of a Southern Empire? :cool:
Another battle like that of Hadrianople? :cool:

Kiten seems to be a really good/nice guy... :p

Yes... hordes and hordes of angsty teenagers.

Actually I've been working on an update for a few days, but with school and other stuff going on in the background I usually get interrupted every few minutes. :wacko: