• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So they all try to use the name Burgundy?

You're trying make the HRE replaced with the Toledian Empire?:p
Sorry, my French geography was rusty last night. I'll probably just use the pre-programmed names.

And yes, I came to the conclusion that it was a waste to use the HRE system on myself, and instead decided to give it to France/Spain. I am thinking that I shall use the Papacy on myself instead.

This is just fantastic! I'm really anxious to see how the AI will be using this and its effect on the EU game. Normandy's quite a mouthful on the map, though.

Are you gonna make desicions for the French nations to form the Caliphate and accompanying missions?

This is just fantastic! I'm really anxious to see how the AI will be using this and its effect on the EU game. Normandy's quite a mouthful on the map, though.

Are you gonna make desicions for the French nations to form the Caliphate and accompanying missions?

Yes, I hope to have Germany, France and Spain all creatable, probably using the pre-existing decisions.

It's time to unite all the Burgundys!

OK, once it's finished with decisions and everything you've got to release this as a MEIOU sub-mod. Either if it's creating an empire as one of the french sheiks, creating an isolationist empire out of russian controlled England or finally making Prussia span across Siberia as this worlds equivalent of Russia, it's all here!

OK, once it's finished with decisions and everything you've got to release this as a MEIOU sub-mod. Either if it's creating an empire as one of the french sheiks, creating an isolationist empire out of russian controlled England or finally making Prussia span across Siberia as this worlds equivalent of Russia, it's all here!

I second that.

I second that.

I will make sure to save all my work. ;)

Time to load up some metal and get another update working.

Today's dish includes Lamb of God, Scar Symmetry, and Opeth.

Awesome. I happen to be listening to Opeth currently. :cool:

Rather wierd coincidence if you ask me.

Last edited:
Awesome. I happen to be listening to Opeth currently. :cool:

Rather weird coincidence if you ask me.

It is good stuff, I definitely would recommend it to more people if I didn't live with a bunch of softy-listeners. There is far more complexity in Opeth than in any other band active today. But with the exception of Damnation (amazing CD by the way) I have to listen to my music in private.

Time for a real update...

Homelands
Chapter Seventeen: Shores of Destiny
Part 4

Prelude:
In 1180 the Finnish revolt left thousands dead in Prussia's most often forgotten territory. Southern Finland was first settled by the Prussians in 1124 during the reign of Eadbert. The region soon proved to be an economic flop but within 60 years thing were turning around. Even so it remained out of the mind of the Prussian nobility, ruled by a few poor souls whose job it was to prevent the expansion of Sweden. The Finns were practically slaves to the Prussian nobility there, worked into desolation by the counts who acted without input from Memelbuhr. During the spring of 1179 a plague swept through Finland from the north. In Ziemelængrád, the capital of Prussian Finland, the Prussians locked themselves in, refusing to give supplies to the beleaguered pagans. After a year of starvation and mistreatment the Finns began a series of revolts and battles aided by their pagan counterparts. In March of 1180 the tribes of the north moved in to help their countrymen, making a provincial issue a national one. The Prussian Guard infamous for the putting down of Catholic rebellions were called into action. Part monk and part soldier they wore only black and were the ultimate solution to religious rebellions. With Sviendorog as their commander they sailed north to relieve Ziemelængrád and retake the region.

Finland.png

The ethnic make up of Prussian Finland: in pink are Finns; in red are Prussians; in blue are Ingrians.

June 4th, 1180

Sviendorog did not like working with the Prussian Guard. Many of the common soldiers had taken a vow of silence, so the camp remained eerily quiet. Their commander wore only monk robes, even in battle. He spoke very little, only when he had to. Even then they would be cryptic or just grunts. The commander was an old man, older than Gunvald, obviously well seasoned from wars as far back as the reign of Eadbert. Outside the city was under siege, many times Sviendorog had conducted sieges from the outside, but he was never the besieged.

Prussianguard.jpg

A member of the Prussian Guard, usually referred to as a "Guardsman".

"You think we can hold that many peasants out?"

"I am certain of it," the commander said in a calm, chilling tone. "These peasants have never fought against the nameless and faceless Prussian Guard."

"Few have, how do you remain in shape?"

"We have our ways. We take pride in doing the work of God and King." His voice always sent chills down Sviendorog's spine and the prince turned to move just slightly farther away from the commander. Only a man as evil as King Eadbert could concoct the idea of the Prussian Guard. None had names, referring to each only as "brother" or "commander" depending on rank. In battle all their helmets were the exact same, they truly became faceless. But what made them truly terrifying was their willingness to kill anyone deemed to be an enemy. The prince excused himself from the room and headed to his own bunk. It was a frightening thought, the coming carnage would be something real for him.

June 5th, 1180

Sviendorog was in the town center sampling fruits in the market. Even with the siege outside the people of Ziemelængrád tried to go on living their lives. Under shortly after the second mass the church bells began ringing an alarm. The assault was here. Sviendorog put the fruit down and ran toward the city walls. He was joined by an increasing number of soldiers and militia men. At the main gate soldiers put in two more bars behind the wooden doors and helped prop them with their own strength. Sviendorog followed the Prussian Guard onto the walls. Their commanders shouted prayers instead of orders, but as the ladders from below were thrown up against the ramparts they drew their swords and positioned their shields. Their commander turned to the prince and from under the helmet said, "We need a kill, don't just maim them."

And with that the first heads began poking over with spears and other weapons. Down the line the Guard waited for one man to get to the top before pushing his ladder away from the wall, watching him fall backwards with it. Sviendorog slashed at a lightly armored pagan soldier. The soldier screamed in pain as blood poured from a gaping wound on his chest. The defenders pushed him over the wall, clearing space for more defenders. In one part of the wall the defenders were not Guards, rather local soldiers, and they were quickly losing ground to the incoming attackers. The Prince grabbed two Guards and pointed out the faltering line. They followed him over to the militiamen and began their deadly attack into the growing number of pagans.

Never before had Sviendorog seen battle so personally. Even when he did fight in the past it had always been from horseback. Here the fight was up close a personal. Too much for Sviendorog's tastes. He thought as he removed his sword from its sheath inside a man's side that this would eventually have to come to an end. As attackers died they were thrown off. Prussian bodies still littered the walls. Eventually below a crash could be heard as the gate finally broke apart. Prussian Guards ran down to help hold back what could only be described as a mob. Sviendorog too turned to head down there, when he felt a clawing at his feet. He turned to see a soldier gasping on the ground.

"T'was an honor to serve by me lordship's side." Sviendorog smiled under his armored helmet but nodded and gave him a salute which was meekly returned. He headed down with the Guards and joined in the growing fray. The Guards formed a perfect line, shield to shield to three lines deep. The second and third row used spears to attack over the first and knock down enemies. If a Guard would die he would quickly be replaced and a hole never seemed to form.

As the day wore on the ladders were all broken, the gate was blocked with wagons and rubble, and the pagans were forced to route north and out of Prussian territory. Sviendorog was glad that the horrible day was over, and that he could march out against foes on ground he was more comfortable with.

"I am afraid you father has removed you from command, my lord." The Guard commander said."It has nothing to do with your service or loyalty. He say's your attention is direly required in Marienscír. I shall take over here."

Panic flooded over his body, Marienscír? Was it under attack? Rebellion? Heresy? Was Meinekinus safe just miles outside of it?

"Move quickly young Leofricson."

June 8th, 1180

Sviendorog arrived to a Marienscír bathed in flowers and colorful streamers. The cathedral wrung joyous songs from its towers and even the old grey castle in its center was cheerful. It looked nothing like the Marienscír he remembered. His father waited for him at the harbor with his personal body guard. Valikaila and Meinekinus were there waiting as well.

"Where is Bozislava?" Sviendorog asked, slightly perplexed.

"The bride-to-be is getting ready for her big day tomorrow."

"Tomorrow? Father..." Sviendorog held his anger back, but his fist clenched.

Gunvald stepped closer to his son and whispered, "The sooner Valikaila and Bozislava can produce a male heir, the sooner a Leofricson will sit on the throne of Bohemia. We have no time to lose. The King of Bohemia could die tomorrow in his state, and if he does his uncle will inherit the realm, if Bozislava has a son there is nothing he can do to take it from us!"

"You called me back from Finland for this?"

Sorry for no pictures.

Homelands
Chapter Seventeen: Shores of Destiny
Part 5

Prelude:
Historic research and speculation does support the rumors of Valikaila's homosexuality. His marriage to Bozislava was mostly a sham on his part, but his grandfather heavily stressed the need for a male heir. A union of Bohemia and Prussian was especially worrisome to Hungary, whose northern border was dominated by the Prussian realm. Afraid of being cut off from the rest of Catholicism, Hungary protested the union, but little reaction came from the West. In France the Infinite War took a violent and dangerous turn, with Muslim forces annexing everything short of Champagne and Flanders. The crushed Capetians fled France, leaving the title to be retaken by any number of prospective conquerors. In Italy it seemed that Muslim resistance was dying off and much of the country side was retaken. This gave Christians motivation to fight harder in France and thus left Hungary out of the attention span of much of western Europe. The Pope said "As long as it is controlled by a Christian, we can sort the owner out later." This left Prussian free to begin connecting itself to Bohemia. Gunvald ordered the building of roads and messenger posts in Bohemia, all under the notion of alliance and friendship. But for Prussia the biggest change was just around the corner.

December 24th, 1180

Sviendorog saw little to be happy about. Marienscír had returned to its grey, foreboding self. His father sat bedridden after a sudden fit hit him and he collapsed. Now, a week later, his condition had improved enough such that he could speak again. The cathedral was already preparing a tomb for Gunvald, but no one told the King who was convinced he would pull through. Sviendorog was inclined to believe him. But now he had nothing to do but patrol around the city waiting for some word of his father's recovery or death. He headed toward the cathedral where he found the patriarch reading through the bible as well as what he would have to do during the crowning ceremony. He smiled when Sviendorog entered the building and headed over to where the prince chose to sit. The building was mostly empty at this hour, with the sun long sunken.

"My lord, how does the King?" the old man asked.

"Fine, he is convinced he shall make a full recovery, but the surgeons... they say otherwise."

"Your father was a fighter. That is how he got as far as he did. His mother was a fighter too. She made him King."

"I have heard the stories." The patriarch led them down into the catacombs. Two guards stood at either side of the double doors into the stairwell. Passing them without much thought the two headed downwards into the cool, dry air. Once in the catacombs, their only light was that of torches that lit the entire room and its corridors. A large black banner with a white cross and three white tips was hung over much of the ceiling. It was old and mostly moth ridden.

"We are planning on sealing the banner away forever," the old priest said forlornly, "to keep the moths from it."

"What is it?"

"Your ancestor, Morcar the Exile, arrived to this very spot under that very banner. And here he is!" Sviendorog was led to a tomb, like the others it had a marble representation of the man it contained laying, as if asleep in their armor, on top. The prince looked at the pristine face, it seemed to bear little resemblance to himself. Same jaw line, however.

"Quiet a tale of bravery... sailing into a world unknown," Sviendorog said.

"Very much so. And here is Aethelweard... he laid the foundation for Prussia as it is today."

"Aelle... King of Pamplona..."

"Ah yes, your uncle, took us quite a few strings to get his body back. Never got the crown, however, the Caliph kept that in his original tomb back in Iberia. For the better, probably. Proves our disinterest in the region."

"I oft forget how expansive our family is. It seems once people realize they are not to be crowned King they leave for elsewhere."

"Yes, your father had quite a few siblings, as do you. But they get random titles and positions to fulfill elsewhere. Keeps things civil in court. Keeps them out of the ruler's hair... heh... and out of the way for his heir."

Sviendorog caught himself smiling at the passing joke. "Our family is quite expansive."

"That it is, that it is."

"What do you think of this union with Bohemia?" Sviendorog asked earnestly as they turned to leave.

"Your father is trying to expand Prussia in a direction of dominance. He is not satisfied with Prussia being just a regional player or a major player... he wants it to be the sole player... and he will go through many channel to get it."

"Many seem to think that is the only way to gain success."

"Yes and no, my prince. You can only gain so much before you hurt yourself. Prussian must now stop expanding for a while and build up what it already controls. Being small is hard, so you get bigger. When a country gets big enough it is safe, but it then also begin to subjugate those around it. When this happens it gets bigger and bigger, but also weaker and weaker. When a nation gets too big it has too many enemies within and without, it has too many peoples, too many religions, too many ideas, too many languages... It is bound to fail, there is nothing that can be done to reverse the damage. The nation will fail, and it will fall hard, little will be left and it will fade into memory."

"Like the Roman Empire."

"Like the Roman Empire," the patriarch repeated. Sviendorog thought over what it meant. It was all very interesting, but also true.

"I shall have to try to prevent over-extending our resources."

"That would be best, but I believe you should get going. It is Christmas Eve, your father needs your presence."

"Thank you, father, I will do just that." Sviendorog headed back to his father and his family. Back at the castle Gunvald was surrounded by family and court members. There was a smile on his face as they talked of parties and drinks of Christmases past. He laughed softly and his voice was weak.

When he saw Sviendorog he beckoned his son to him and placed a weak arm around him and said, "Sit boy, for tonight we are to be merry!"

End Chapter Seventeen