• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Larz1695

Corporal
87 Badges
May 12, 2016
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Victoria 2
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars Pre-Order
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Prison Architect
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
I used the decision to found a holy order. Every time they "expand" the holding they acquire doesn't count against their holding limit. Is this by design? The reason I ask is because they keep expanding. The Templars in my game currently possess 12 assorted castles and cities. They're STILL asking me for castles and cities to expand further. Do they have a limit to their expansion?

Holy orders don't work as landed characters - they technically don't hold the holdings they have in their name, but have them on lease similarly to how with spiritual clergy temples are held. And unlike landed characters, they don't use the actual buildings and benefits of the holdings, instead scaling with the number of holdings leased. Far as I know, there's no hard upper limit to how many holdings they can have on lease.

Reactions:
That would explain why they don't upgrade their holdings (that I've noticed).
They don't need to. Holdings = army size, period. No cost factors involved.

My question about holy orders - is there any benefit to a holy order that's not your religion? Should you revoke the lease?

I've only seen negative effects out of it. Like if I'm an Islamic faith not like I can call in the Knights Hospitallier even if I own a chapter house of theirs. And my enemies can call them on against me. So I might as well just go and revoke while I can to keep weakening it for less random Armored Horsemen and Heavy Infantry being thrown in my face every war. Particularly since it's not like I got the big sack of gold they give up front for the lease anyway.

It's so stupid that it costs piety to revoke a lease from an enemy holy order.

And you can't even do it at all unless you happen to directly own the county. Which wouldn't be a problem except that the ai never seem to do it themselves.

Reactions:
Wait- you guys telling me that when I allow or form a holy order the enemy can hire them against me? Would say that should be restricted to some mechanic if the favor of the ruler (religion) is low they would be allowed to side with the enemy in my opinion.

From what I've seen, yes. It came up in a game where I created my own cult. My previous holy order, inside my own borders, was not available for me to hire. But was by the adherents of my previous religion against me. And the fact that I got penalized for saying: "You know what, we're not actually Theravada anymore... so I'mma need that city back..." costing me was... weird.

Reactions:
Wait- you guys telling me that when I allow or form a holy order the enemy can hire them against me? Would say that should be restricted to some mechanic if the favor of the ruler (religion) is low they would be allowed to side with the enemy in my opinion.
If you change religions
I used the decision to found a holy order. Every time they "expand" the holding they acquire doesn't count against their holding limit. Is this by design? The reason I ask is because they keep expanding. The Templars in my game currently possess 12 assorted castles and cities. They're STILL asking me for castles and cities to expand further. Do they have a limit to their expansion?
They have a lease rather than have baron vassals like in ck2