HOI4 - Together For Victory AI Update #2

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I agree that Japan does not do enough against islands, but they do usually take Borneo and I have seen them take the Philippines a few times. I don't think the problem is strictly that the AI cannot handle taking on islands. I think the problem is that the AI does not build enough convoys. The US suffers from this even more so than Japan and this is one of the big reasons the Pacific Campaign never really happens.
For me this is a huge issue. No version of HOI has ever had a really good Pacific campaign, or even a mediocre one. It must have something to do with the difference between maintaining a "front line" consisting of discrete islands instead of a continuous line of provinces, or perhaps the difficulty of coordinating land and naval operations, but whatever the reason it seems to be really hard to pull off. Somewhere or other I recall podcat commenting on this issue, but where and when I cannot say.

Reactions:
For me this is a huge issue. No version of HOI has ever had a really good Pacific campaign, or even a mediocre one. It must have something to do with the difference between maintaining a "front line" consisting of discrete islands instead of a continuous line of provinces, or perhaps the difficulty of coordinating land and naval operations, but whatever the reason it seems to be really hard to pull off. Somewhere or other I recall podcat commenting on this issue, but where and when I cannot say.
Maybe instead of focusing on a dynamic AI in the Pacific region, they should instead try a system based on more scripted scenarios and contingencies with a little less maneuver room than the rest of the world.

Reactions:
It does indeed not have to happen every hour. Which is why it is done about once a day.
Talking about battleplan AI, for me it seems some divisions are not content to sit in a province once I tell them. They keep trying to move/attack somewhere immediatly after i tell them to hold position. It might be a multiplayer thing though.

I have heard that the Japanese AI in 1.3 actually goes for DEI and places like Guadalcanal, Wake and Midway. I have not heard any details on how the Americans respond.

Reactions:
I have heard that the Japanese AI in 1.3 actually goes for DEI and places like Guadalcanal, Wake and Midway. I have not heard any details on how the Americans respond.
That's encouraging, to say the least.
Is there a place we can deposit prayers for its fulfillment to the Great and All-Powerful AI?

- AI should now be capable of using rockets.
  • Exactly what it says. The problem here was that rocket bases, though internally represented as air bases, are kept in a separate list from the regular air bases. Just including that list when considering missions should mean AI can now use their sometimes ample supply of rockets.

Amazing job so far @SteelVolt , just one question.

In my mod we've changed the guided_missle unit from a 'misile' to a 'interceptor' to represent modern AA. Off the top of your head do you think the AI would have issues with this?

Last edited:
One thing I found out (unfortunately at a modded version):

I gave the trucks the option to have a variant system like for tanks. Now, I see the Sovietunion spending all their land experience points into these truck upgrades.
I have seen 25 truck variants (Zis-5 Mk1 - Zis-5 Mk25)

I think that is not only a mod problem, because I didn't changed anything to AI behaviour.

Is there a possibility to correct that by modding or is it hardcoded. Or maybe there's a chance to mod/correct this in the future.

Reactions:
One thing I found out (unfortunately at a modded version):

I gave the trucks the option to have a variant system like for tanks. Now, I see the Sovietunion spending all their land experience points into these truck upgrades.
I have seen 25 truck variants (Zis-5 Mk1 - Zis-5 Mk25)

I think that is not only a mod problem, because I didn't changed anything to AI behaviour.

Is there a possibility to correct that by modding or is it hardcoded. Or maybe there's a chance to mod/correct this in the future.

Isn't this connected to the issue that the Soviet AI builds almost only motorized?

I mean if most of your army is made up out of trucks it kind of makes sense to want to spend the XP on improving the equipment that is used the most, right?

Isn't this connected to the issue that the Soviet AI builds almost only motorized?

I mean if most of your army is made up out of trucks it kind of makes sense to want to spend the XP on improving the equipment that is used the most, right?

Yes, but I think it's a little bit odd to do this every month with a new version.
And also, tank upgrades are completely ignored....so it would great if the AI spreads the experience points a little bit more.

I gave 3 upgrade options with 5 levels, so normally, to upgrade it to perfection, there're 5*5*5 = 125 variants possible.

I solved it a little bit to make only 2 levels of upgrade (but higher), so they only get 2*2*2 = 8 variants. But that's only a workaround.

Yes, but I think it's a little bit odd to do this every month with a new version.
The AI variant code is pretty much broken in 1.2, and "works" like that, yeah. It makes the AI sink hundreds of points in it, and very ineffectively. It was bug-reported, but don't know if anything about it was done for 1.3, skimming the patch notes didn't see any mention.