HOI4 Oak 1.4.2 BETA patch [checksum: a48d]

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not sure what you mean here. Is it coup related? Can you make a proper bug report with repro steps and saves in the bug report forum

The problem is that, for example, the British declare war on Yugoslavia. The latter enters the Axis. A few days later, as I understand it, a bug occurs, Peter replaces Paul and the country falls out of the Axis while being at war with the Allies. Is not this a bug?

p.s.
The Yugoslav confederation does not appear in this case. Although the national spirit of the military against Germany is present.

This patch looks like a step backwards.

1) Italy immediately lost in Africa, total cake walk for the allies.
2) Germany threw itself against the Maginot line. Even after declaring war on Benelux, it ignored them and continued throwing away millions of troops against the Maginot.
3) Axis totally unable to do anything against the Greeks. Yugoslavia and Italy struggled to defend against a British invaded Albania.
4) There's some kind of bug. When countries surrendered the text boxes have some kind of placeholder text rather than a description of what happened. Happened with China (both of them) and Mengkuko (or whatever the Japanese puppet is called).

Please do not release this.

@podcat @SteelVolt
Another question, did not see anything in 1.4.2 regarding the closed economy issue that @FrancescoT passed on to you guys here https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...omy-gamebreaking.1038578/page-3#post-23185812
Is this on the back burner or going to make it into the final 1.4.2?

not something for 1.4.2

4) There's some kind of bug. When countries surrendered the text boxes have some kind of placeholder text rather than a description of what happened. Happened with China (both of them) and Mengkuko (or whatever the Japanese puppet is called).
yeah we broke some text accidentally. thats been fixed now

Germany is definitely back to committing sudoku Maginot. 1.4.1 it was very competently going around, 1.4.2 it goes "clank clank ima tank" and tries to smash through, losing millions in the process.

BTW, it'd be nice if we got some more bonuses against forts in the engineer tech.

On the Maginot, I didn't notice exactly how it happened (whether FRA stepped away or GER kept attacking), but GER broke through the Maginot in some way, shape or form. I was trying to watch for convoyed troops, so didn't notice the detail. Should be fairly easy to test with a few human_ai runs though (particularly from a '39 start). Even in 1.4.1, GER sometimes (but a lot less than usual) hit Maginot, so it could be a 'luck of the draw' thing. Sounds like it might be worth testing, but that's a decision for wiser folk than me :).

One quickie suggestion, change the time to complete on the Around Maginot focus from 28 to either 35 or preferably 42 days.

With all the changes and improvements in ai performance ai Germany rarely finishes off Poland in 28 days now. Moving the completion date further allows ai Germany to avoid the 2 front min war that gets it into trouble in late 39.

In my mod, rather than change completion time, I've left it as is, but thrown in a modifier to (hopefully) prevent the AI from taking it until Poland and Denmark has fallen - that way it's a bit more dynamic, rather than hoping the time to complete matches the time to smash Poland. Not sure if useful or not, but modifier script (that goes in the ai_will_do bit for GER_around_maginot) in spoiler below - note, I'm still learning my way around these things, so there's always a chance it doesn't work like I think it does:

Code:
            modifier = { #TPOV - to stop Ger launching attack on France before Poland or Denmark has surrendered
                factor = 0
                OR = {
                    AND = {
                        has_war_with = POL
                        country_exists = POL
                        }
                    AND = {
                        has_war_with = DEN
                        country_exists = DEN
                    }
                }
            }

Last edited:
Sorry for the double-post - been playing a bit more ( :D ) and:

• GER still behaving itself and not shipping troops through the channel - good Germany :).
  • I could have looked more closely, but I didn't see any instances of "half the army shipped around Africa".
  • Japan had researched CV fighter 2 before the middle of 1940 - good Japan :).
  • However, they weren't building any - it's not that they weren't trying, but there's definitely something up with aircraft. My memory's not good enough to know if it's something new, but I doubt it's doing the AI any favours (the RAF is having no trouble with controlling the Channel/southern England in the first half of 1940, for example, and GER's running an unhealthy fighter deficit, taking heavier losses, and has less than half the factories assigned to fighters as ENG (player, not AI) does - and ENG only has 10).
  • However, and this came up before but I thought it was fixed, but maybe it wasn't? Apologies if not something to think about for this patch, but thought safer to mention than to not, as it does mean GER is doing it the hard way. In May 1940 they have 4,300 light tanks in storage, and have shifted all their tank templates to full medium, with a deficit of 6,000-odd. They have a mixed light/medium template, but don't have any lights deployed.
  • ITA is still doing a little troop shuffling around the med (transferring between Sardinia and Albania by the look of things) and their navy is too small to not have their strategy engaged (as far as I can see). They seem to be getting away with it, but just mentioning in case this isn't WAD.

Screenies of things in spoilers, pictures worth a thousand words and all that:

GER plane production (probably not enough, and STR before TAC may not be the best approach for AI GER):
GER still not keen on planes.jpg

JAP plane production (I'm not usually so confident, but I think we can say this definitely isn't enough!):
JAP even less keen on planes.jpg

GER tank screenies (stock, deployed, and mixed and med-only templates):
GER has LOTS of spare light tanks.jpg
GER doesn't do light tanks.jpg
GER mixed tank template, but not used.jpg
GER med tank template in use.jpg

ITA med shuffle, and navy size:
ITA med shuffle.jpg
ITA Navy.jpg

And the save file, in case useful.

PS - the new forum system where we can only upload one screenie/file at a time is a tad slow and clunky.

Attachments

• GER production foibles.hoi4
    17,7 MB · Views: 8
For a second there I was excited to see that Italy was using all its ships in a single big fleet, then I realised it was because they only had four ships remaining by May 1940.

For a second there I was excited to see that Italy was using all its ships in a single big fleet, then I realised it was because they only had four ships remaining by May 1940.

Italy did concentrate its forces well - it's just that the length of the battle meant I could concentrate better, and the AI's reluctance to retreat in the face of being severely outnumbered meant they lost something like 2/3rds of their navy in one battle - but that's not a new issue (and one that defines-tinkering can help with a bit at least).

NOTE beta is now updated with fixes to localization (this wont change checksum). There was a problem with faction names and with the capitulate events having no text. So far its stable and we plan to release on monday morning (we cant release on fridays because there is nobody to manage support over the weekend if something happens)

• However, and this came up before but I thought it was fixed, but maybe it wasn't? Apologies if not something to think about for this patch, but thought safer to mention than to not, as it does mean GER is doing it the hard way. In May 1940 they have 4,300 light tanks in storage, and have shifted all their tank templates to full medium, with a deficit of 6,000-odd. They have a mixed light/medium template, but don't have any lights deployed.
  • ITA is still doing a little troop shuffling around the med (transferring between Sardinia and Albania by the look of things) and their navy is too small to not have their strategy engaged (as far as I can see). They seem to be getting away with it, but just mentioning in case this isn't WAD.
- it might be that at the time of it making the decision its stockpile was fine, not sure. I'll have QA check the savegame
- ITA doesnt do full avoidance, it checks danger level depending on if the enemy fleet is in the area or not. for the channel its hard block because its always dangerous (and stuff can jump out from port)

NOTE beta is now updated with fixes to localization (this wont change checksum). There was a problem with faction names and with the capitulate events having no text. So far its stable and we plan to release on monday morning (we cant release on fridays because there is nobody to manage support over the weekend if something happens)

Much excitement :D. The movements of Axis troops by sea is a huuuuuge improvement in the game I'm playing, and I haven't had one front disappear on me yet. All being well, that aircraft/tank stuff is just my particular playthrough doing odd things. Definitely haven't had any stability/CTD issues - HoI4 continues to be far-and-away the stablest HoI ever :).

Did not try beta yet but in 1.4.1 the handling of forts was definitely good. German AI did not attack my Czech forts as long as they were not sufficiently bombed. So in case they now attack regardless of fort level something must be broken.

This patch looks like a step backwards.

1) Italy immediately lost in Africa, total cake walk for the allies.
2) Germany threw itself against the Maginot line. Even after declaring war on Benelux, it ignored them and continued throwing away millions of troops against the Maginot.
3) Axis totally unable to do anything against the Greeks. Yugoslavia and Italy struggled to defend against a British invaded Albania.

Please do not release this.

Italy problems are probably related to the new naval transport limitations. They don't dare transporting the necessary troops to fight in Africa and Greece.

In my runs Germany usually brute forces through the Maginot during its offensives and the French has a tendency to surrender parts of the Maginot through withdrawing. Also I believe that a good way to solve the problem of the AI trying to create too many types of different planes at once leading to insufficient production is to make Germany focus only on fighters and CAS, Japan to stop making interwar bombers and focus only on CV fighters and CV naval bombers. Also due to the lack of Tungsten Germany should probably stop making infantry templates of 7 infantry and 2 artillery for their infantry divisions and stick to 20 width infantry with only infantry battalions.

On the Maginot, I didn't notice exactly how it happened (whether FRA stepped away or GER kept attacking), but GER broke through the Maginot in some way, shape or form. I was trying to watch for convoyed troops, so didn't notice the detail. Should be fairly easy to test with a few human_ai runs though (particularly from a '39 start). Even in 1.4.1, GER sometimes (but a lot less than usual) hit Maginot, so it could be a 'luck of the draw' thing. Sounds like it might be worth testing, but that's a decision for wiser folk than me :).

In my mod, rather than change completion time, I've left it as is, but thrown in a modifier to (hopefully) prevent the AI from taking it until Poland and Denmark has fallen - that way it's a bit more dynamic, rather than hoping the time to complete matches the time to smash Poland. Not sure if useful or not, but modifier script (that goes in the ai_will_do bit for GER_around_maginot) in spoiler below - note, I'm still learning my way around these things, so there's always a chance it doesn't work like I think it does:

Code:
            modifier = { #TPOV - to stop Ger launching attack on France before Poland or Denmark has surrendered
                factor = 0
                OR = {
                    AND = {
                        has_war_with = POL
                        country_exists = POL
                        }
                    AND = {
                        has_war_with = DEN
                        country_exists = DEN
                    }
                }
            }

Hmm, don't think that will stop Around Maginot. IIRC the focus for going after Denmark is after Around Maginot in the ai focus tree. The ai will still fire AM and declare on BeNeLux which will cause the AI front code to pull troops away from the East.

If you remember, Around Maginot was originally 70 days like all other focuses. @podcat changed it to 28 days and moved it in front of Weserburung to avoid the Germans getting locked in Denmark and dying on the Maginot. Now PDS has added new code that improves the Polish ability to defend itself, and for the German ai to not stupidly attack fortresses. In the games I have played in 1.4.... Poland usually either dies or is about to between 30-40 days as long as Germany isn't distracted. That is why I just went KISS and moved the time to complete AM to 42 in my home mod.

The Swedish ones are limited and the Portugal ones needs to pass through lets see, the English Channel... if Germany is to mass medium tanks they are gonna need more than the Tungsten from Sweden.
When playing as Germany I secure tungsten by conquering Sweden. You can't get enough otherwise.

Hmm, don't think that will stop Around Maginot. IIRC the focus for going after Denmark is after Around Maginot in the ai focus tree. The ai will still fire AM and declare on BeNeLux which will cause the AI front code to pull troops away from the East.

If you remember, Around Maginot was originally 70 days like all other focuses. @podcat changed it to 28 days and moved it in front of Weserburung to avoid the Germans getting locked in Denmark and dying on the Maginot. Now PDS has added new code that improves the Polish ability to defend itself, and for the German ai to not stupidly attack fortresses. In the games I have played in 1.4.... Poland usually either dies or is about to between 30-40 days as long as Germany isn't distracted. That is why I just went KISS and moved the time to complete AM to 42 in my home mod.

The real solution to this is always going to have been to get the AI to consider its war performance when thinking about starting a new war. There are lots of situations where the AI starts wars it shouldn't, and joins factions that it shouldn't - it would be good to get them all at once rather than fixing each one with national focuses.

The real solution to this is always going to have been to get the AI to consider its war performance when thinking about starting a new war. There are lots of situations where the AI starts wars it shouldn't, and joins factions that it shouldn't - it would be good to get them all at once rather than fixing each one with national focuses.

Unfortunately in almost every case this is due to the straitjacket of the focus code. It over-writes everything without regard to the situation on the ground. This might not be able to be changed without a re-write of the engine or diplomatic code. Probably going to have to go focus by focus.

Status
Not open for further replies.