HOI4 Ironclad 1.6.2 BETA patch [checksum: 6f7d]

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could we get an event for Austria-Hungary to force claims on Yugoslavia without going over WT and thus getting an insta guarantee? Non-aligned should be allowed to justify at like 40% War Tension so we at least have a window to expand before being forced in to world war (-25% with Otto von Habsburg). So far I have yet to find a way to get enough to proclaim the Austro-Hungarian Empire via Decision as non-aligned, which again, is kinda the point....

I don't see how any of this supports the argument that the US should be able to build motorized divisions in 1936. If someone finds hard evidence that the US operated fully motorized divisons in 1936, I am eager to hear it. Until then, they will have to motorize their infantry the hard way. They originally started out without motorized researched in vanilla. Given the size of the US automotive industry, that seemed equally silly, so it was changed.

Perhaps, it should revert to the way it was in vanilla. Especially, considering the staunch isolationism that prevented the US from developing much (militarily), until the war began. I’d be happy with having to research it AND having a nerfed template. As it is now, I don’t even bother with motorized when I play the US, because it’s just easier to use regular infantry and move slow...not historical in the later game, though.

France has ceased to protect important cities from paratroopers. But the paras are not needed. I noticed that over the years the game did not receive an achievement "True Blitzkrieg" :cool:. So I decided to test this very "painful" front. Having made my way through Luxembourg, my two armored divisions just had a fun ride to Calais and Paris. The winning time is only limited to 28 days to claim Luxembourg + a couple of days to get there.
Back in my last game for the Netherlands, the German fleet sank 20 British divisions in the Baltic Sea on the way to Danzig. Which by the way, before that defended my border for only 1-2 minutes.

I have experienced the AI shuffling its units before 1.6. And in 1.6, the AI doesn't always shuffle its units. People have complained about the AI shuffling its units long before 1.6, the reason it is noticed now, is because German and Japanese AI is so much better than before and doesn't shuffle its units. So people forget how bad the AI was before 1.6, as before, the average was bad.

1944 I got tired of the stomp of Soviet and stalemate. So decided to see how it would go if I deleted all Germany's armies. 774 armies and fleets deleted. Then unpaused and a few days later lots of new armies popped up everywhere. So I repeated it and it deleted another 229 armies and fleets. So that has to be a bug right? 3 days between.

1944 I got tired of the stomp of Soviet and stalemate. So decided to see how ti would go if I deleted all Germany's armies. 774 armies and fleets deleted. Then unpaused and a few days later lots of new armies popped up everywhere. So I repeated it and it deleted another 229 armies and fleets. So that has to be a bug right? 3 days between.
They probably had many divisions in queue, and just early deploy them.

They probably had many divisions in queue, and just early deploy them.

229 of them? And for that matter they popped up in countries they couldn't even deploy in. It was all over Europe, from Spain over to Poland, see I could see them pop up even though I had no vision, I just saw the armies pop up on the map.

Could you guys make the focus "Schlieffen Once More" give a war goal on the Netherlands? The invasion of France is way easier as the fascists.

The Schlieffen Plan, as executed historically, did not include a war with the Netherlands. if you want a war with the Netherlands there are other ways of making this happen (such as pushing for war if the Netherlands refuses to allow the Kaiser to return).

or fixing Vojvodina state to have the correct population

I have seen this claim that Vojvodina state has an incorrect population before, but I am unsure what the basis for this argument is. When I created the West Banat state, I gave it a population according to the 1930s census and subtracted that amount from the Vojvodina state it was a part of beforehand.

Considering large parts of the rest of the Vojvodina region I can find demographic history for are part of the in-game state of Croatia, it seems to me that the total population of the region as represented in-game is quite close to the 1.6 million historical figure I can find.

If you have any other sources that dispute this, please link them to me.

I have seen this claim that Vojvodina state has an incorrect population before, but I am unsure what the basis for this argument is. When I created the West Banat state, I gave it a population according to the 1930s census and subtracted that amount from the Vojvodina state it was a part of beforehand.

Considering large parts of the rest of the Vojvodina region I can find demographic history for are part of the in-game state of Croatia, it seems to me that the total population of the region as represented in-game is quite close to the 1.6 million historical figure I can find.

First of all thank you very much for looking into this issue, second I hope you are ready for my long (with a tldr end) explanation.

From the wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungarian_occupation_of_Yugoslav_territories

- Demographics: "According to the 1931 census, the territories of Bačka and Baranja had a combined population of 837,742" Now what might be confusing is that Backa and Baranja are the same Vojvodina state in hoi4, Backa(Bácska in Hungarian) is the main part and Baranja(Baranya in Hungarian) is that one little province between the river Danube and river Drava.
To shorten this: the hoi state of Vojvodina = "Serbian Backa" and "Serbian Baranja" (837k population). Please note that both Backa and Banja have a "Hungarian part" that remained in Hungary and they are called Hungarian Bácska and Hungarian Baranya.

- So in 1931 Vojvodina (Backa+Baranja) had 837k population and also had 280k Hungarians which should give the reason to make this state a core state and not just a claimed state for Hungary.

- In 1941 "On 1 May 1941, the Germans estimated that the population of the territories occupied by Hungary was 1,145,000" . Now this includes "Prekmurje" and "Medimurje" which territories are not represented in the game ( it is a province in Slovenia close to the Hungarian border) that had around 100k. "A census of the occupied Yugoslav territories was conducted by the Hungarian authorities in 1941, which counted a total population of 1,030,027" This is the Hungarian census that also shows 37% ethnic Hungarians living the occupied Hungarian lands, but this includes the Slovenian Prekmurje and Medimurje territory so it would be about 930k.

TLDR/ In short: Vojvodina should have about 900k population which is between the values of 1941 and 1931. Also Vojvodina should have more factory slots (it should be the developed rural region more likely than West-Banat), reasons for this is that Vojvodina was a big agricultural centre, and also had twice the amount of population with many small companies in the populous cities.

Serbian Banat (WestBanat) have the correct date according to the Banat Wikipedia page (however it also had 95k Hungarians living in minority) so thank you for your research on that.

While gathering these date I also took the time to point out some other demographic issues around Hungary.

- Another issue about the demography of Hungary if you could take a look at is the starting population of Hungary. Hungary has 8,69 million starting population in 1936, but in reality Hungary had 9,040m population according to the demography census https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Hungary
( A good thing would be if you could add + 110k population to each state, or 150k to Northern Hungary and split 75k to Alföld and another 75k to Western Hungary)

- One extra thing: Carpahtian Ruthenia and Southern Slovakia have the exact same population while Southern Slovakia had about 900k in 1936 (50k more than in game) and it should be a core state of Hungary just like Southern Slovakia, since it also had major Hungarian minority living there, and in the 1939 start scenario the territory is the core territory of Hungary.
There is calculation that in 1938 S. Slovakia had 935k, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Vienna_Award

A nice image for the territorial changes that hopefully make everything more clear: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Territorial_gains_of_Hungary_1938-41_en.svg

Thank you very much for reading this, and also I can photo my books and history magazines with translation, but Wikipedia pages are accurate enough compared to them, I hope you can put in these changes, and please write back if you need more proof/stg is not clear.
@Bratyn

Edit: If you have the time maybe you could add more cities/Victory Points to Hungary, to help this I created a map with the biggest cities: https://imgur.com/a/rDzVAG4

Last edited:
When's the next update? :)

@Bratyn could you consider some of these possible QoL and minor balancing changes for the USSR for this patch? They are simple enough changes that improve the quality of playing the USSR, without changing the meta too much.

1. Trotsky should not purge Kalinin. Instead, he should purge Molotov, as he hated Molotov but was ambivalent towards Kalinin. Also, Trotsky’s USSR lacks strong advisors, so Kalinin being available to them is a nice change.

2. Could the USSR get an Atlantic fleet designer and a Coastal fleet designer? USSR’s naval game is barely impactful anyway but implementing these would give them a bit more flavour, and open alternate alt-history playstyles.

3. Would be nice if the USSR could get some war industrialists, to represent their massive military buildup and rapid mobilization.

4. Great patriotic war could remain after the great purge is removed, both by time and by the ‘lessons of war’ focus, as it states in the flavour text for the events that the benefits linger permanently. You could use the +10% or the +5% organisation versions of this spirit as the permanent ones.

5. The anti-capitalist focuses and anti-fascist focuses should take 70 days only. Many players entirely ignore that path as it’s more efficient to stay on the air production continuous focus.

6. NKVD national spirit is quite weak relative to the Rehabilitated Military national spirit. Would be cool if you could increase the reinforce rate bonus to +10%, so it would be a viable choice.

Thanks for considering these suggestions. If they are infeasible that is fine, it’s your game after all. But I’m just throwing my 2 cents in, as a player who used to main the USSR.

Last edited:

Note that I have 0 idea what the population is in game and I'm intentionally not checking. From my sources (yugoslav census data as seen on wikipedia) Vojvodina has a whole has 1.624M people, of those, 0.586M live in West Banat, 0.838M live in the region occupied by Hungary, and 0.437M live in the region occupied by Croatia. I know this adds to more than Vojvodina as a whole; but its a 1931 Balkan census, what can you expect really.

that being said.

I seem to recall the Vojvodina in the game only being the part that ends up Occupied by Hungary. As such it should only have 838K people in it.

EDITED TO ADD

after reading the post right after the one I quoted, I think the problem may be the @Bratyn 's estimation of how much of Vojvodina in IRL is in Croatia in-game. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syrmia_County this is the area in question, which had under half a million people, vs this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungarian_occupation_of_Yugoslav_territories#Demographics which had over 800K

Vojvodina (the IRL area) with West Banat removed, has about 1.2M people, 2/3rds of which live in the "Hungarian" area, and 1/3rd in the "Croatian area"

Last edited:
Thanks guys! I've made some population adjustments and added cores in the Hungarian focus tree.
This is why, even though you guys don't just randomly add in focus trees to DLC so that price points get all weirded up and stuff which is perfectly reasonable when you think about it, you guys are the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.